Moonspell - Portugal's Finest

Requiem

8 hours ago, Requiem said:

Same here regarding the rankings. If I didn't have so many new CDs to listen to I'd break out 'Memorial' now and give it a listen. Actually what I might do is put it in my car for this week's commute playlist. On 'Moon and Mercury', I think the chorus is really cool. It's obviously not too challenging in that it simply repeats the title, but it's heavy and gets me moving. 

What we should have done is assign each album a score out of 10. Is that going too far? 

Also, I've written a whole heap of Top 10s in a couple of threads in the General Music Discussion forum: namely the Top 10 of Any Given Year where I covered 1991-2016 and Top 10 of Any Given Concept and Genre where I'm posting all kinds of wacky stuff. A lot of gothic metal comes through in my lists, of course, so check it out if you feel like it. It would be cool to see some of your lists in those forums too, although seeing how long it takes you to mince out a Moonspell ranking I won't be offended if you gracefully decline. ;) 

Ideally, I would like to rate and rank every album I own but that might take me another century! 

Here are some rough ratings. Rated Alpha Noir and Omega White separately.

Wolfheart (9.5)

Irreligious (9.5)

Memorial (9)

Extinct (9)

Under Satanae (9)

The Butterfly Effect (8.5)

Sin/Pecado (8)

Night Eternal (8)

Omega White (8)

Alpha Noir (7.5)

Darkness and Hope (7.5 ...or 8?)

The Antidote (7 ...or 7.5?)

I'll check out your lists and see what I can come up with. It sounds like I've got a lot of reading to do!  

I may rank/rate the My Dying Bride catalogue next! 

Ok, here are my ratings out of ten for the albums: 

6.5/10 - The Butterfly Effect (1999)

7/10 - Alpha Noir/Omega White (2012)

7.5/10 - The Antidote (2003)

8/10 - Extinct (2015)

8/10 - Sin/Pecado (1998)

8.5/10 - Darkness and Hope (2001)

8.5/10 - Night Eternal (2008)

9/10 - Under Satanae (2007* 1993-1994)

9/10 - Memorial (2006)

9.5/10 - Wolfheart (1995)

10/10-  Irreligious (1996)

26 minutes ago, Requiem said:

Ok, here are my ratings out of ten for the albums: 

6.5/10 - The Butterfly Effect (1999)

7/10 - Alpha Noir/Omega White (2012)

7.5/10 - The Antidote (2003)

8/10 - Extinct (2015)

8/10 - Sin/Pecado (1998)

8.5/10 - Darkness and Hope (2001)

8.5/10 - Night Eternal (2008)

9/10 - Under Satanae (2007* 1993-1994)

9/10 - Memorial (2006)

9.5/10 - Wolfheart (1995)

10/10-  Irreligious (1996)

Interesting ratings. I should ask you what your ratings mean in context.

For me:  

6 = it's o-k with some level of appeal.

7 = I generally like it but with some clear issues that hold it back.

8 = I really like it despite some minor issues.

9 = a minor favourite of mine, no serious flaws.  

10 = all time favourite, of personal significance. 

29 minutes ago, Vampyrique said:

Interesting ratings. I should ask you what your ratings mean in context.

For me:  

6 = it's o-k with some level of appeal.

7 = I generally like it but with some clear issues that hold it back.

8 = I really like it despite some minor issues.

9 = a minor favourite of mine, no serious flaws.  

10 = all time favourite, of personal significance. 

Yeah, this is pretty close.

6 = A respectable album that doesn't bring me back too often, although if asked I will say I do quite like. 

7 = A good album with some minor flaws. An every now and then album but one held fondly.

8 = A solid, enjoyable album that I regularly go back to. Strong emotional effect. 

9 = A minor favourite that transcends 99% of albums out there. World class. 

10 =  An all time personal favourite. A classic of deep personal significance that transcends the notes played. 

Edit: Now we are rating our ratings. I think we have a problem... 

3 minutes ago, Requiem said:

Yeah, this is pretty close.

6 = A respectable album that doesn't bring me back too often, although if asked I will say I do quite like. 

7 = A good album with some minor flaws. An every now and then album but one held fondly.

8 = A solid, enjoyable album that I regularly go back to. Strong emotional effect. 

9 = A minor favourite that transcends 99% of albums out there. World class. 

10 =  An all time personal favourite. A classic of deep personal significance that transcends the notes played. 

Edit: Now we are rating our ratings. I think we have a problem... 

True, but I came up with ratings and explanations in record time! Just thought I'd ask because people's rating 'scale' can vary wildly. 

On a related note: With favourite bands I tend to give their worst albums a lot of listens before dismissing them entirely. A disappointing album by a favourite band could still get a high score because I know that compared to everything else out there the intrinsic qualities of a favourite band could still win me over. 

21 minutes ago, Vampyrique said:

True, but I came up with ratings and explanations in record time! Just thought I'd ask because people's rating 'scale' can vary wildly. 

On a related note: With favourite bands I tend to give their worst albums a lot of listens before dismissing them entirely. A disappointing album by a favourite band could still get a high score because I know that compared to everything else out there the intrinsic qualities of a favourite band could still win me over. 

Absolutely. I'm willing to give these albums repeated listens whereas other bands' weak albums I might move on from sooner. This is in part due to the fact that even weaker albums created by band members that I respect and admire are still interesting to me on some level. 

2 hours ago, Requiem said:

Absolutely. I'm willing to give these albums repeated listens whereas other bands' weak albums I might move on from sooner. This is in part due to the fact that even weaker albums created by band members that I respect and admire are still interesting to me on some level. 

I thought you might agree with that. 

Going back to Moonspell, have you seen the bonus DVD that comes with Extinct? If so, what do you think of it?  

4 hours ago, Vampyrique said:

I thought you might agree with that. 

Going back to Moonspell, have you seen the bonus DVD that comes with Extinct? If so, what do you think of it?  

I played it through once and can't remember much about it apart from a few experts talking about the environment. I guess that means it didn't really blow me away. I blame the internet - if I wasn't wasting time on here I would have watched it three or four times and be able to say something salient about it. What did you think of it? 

I actually really like studio documentaries but I keep forgetting to watch them.

5 hours ago, Requiem said:

I played it through once and can't remember much about it apart from a few experts talking about the environment. I guess that means it didn't really blow me away. I blame the internet - if I wasn't wasting time on here I would have watched it three or four times and be able to say something salient about it. What did you think of it? 

I actually really like studio documentaries but I keep forgetting to watch them.

I enjoyed it. It's nothing amazing but an 80 minute bonus DVD is pretty worthwhile. I always like 'making of' documentaries and seeing the passion and so forth from bands. I had seen part of it on youtube and that is mostly what prompted me to buy that edition. The bonus tracks are decent re-workings of album songs but that wasn't really enough to persuade me especially when the album cover is even worse than on the standard edition...  

On 10/09/2017 at 10:29 PM, Vampyrique said:

I enjoyed it. It's nothing amazing but an 80 minute bonus DVD is pretty worthwhile. I always like 'making of' documentaries and seeing the passion and so forth from bands. I had seen part of it on youtube and that is mostly what prompted me to buy that edition. The bonus tracks are decent re-workings of album songs but that wasn't really enough to persuade me especially when the album cover is even worse than on the standard edition...  

When you say bonus tracks do you mean the fairly boring remixes? Oh man, metal bands that remix their tracks into electronic/dance music are making a big mistake. I can't listen to the remixes on 'Extinct'. 

I actually took that album back into my car the other day. I definitely really like the first half, and of course 'La Baphomette', although the second half of the album is a bit bland. Filler really. I just think that overall 'Extinct' doesn't quite have the excitement  going for it at times.  Considering it's only ten songs long I really think they should have nailed it. 

59 minutes ago, Requiem said:

When you say bonus tracks do you mean the fairly boring remixes? Oh man, metal bands that remix their tracks into electronic/dance music are making a big mistake. I can't listen to the remixes on 'Extinct'. 

I actually took that album back into my car the other day. I definitely really like the first half, and of course 'La Baphomette', although the second half of the album is a bit bland. Filler really. I just think that overall 'Extinct' doesn't quite have the excitement  going for it at times.  Considering it's only ten songs long I really think they should have nailed it. 

The bonus tracks sound like the product of a band bored in studio rather than a David Vincent signature special. Nothing too extreme here. More like "how about we try this here instead of that" which isn't too bad. I've heard too many awful metal remixes in my life and these are relatively innocuous by comparison. 

One of the reasons I like the album is because they wear their goth influences on their sleeve but it's done in a great way that mixes well with Moonspell's style and doesn't sound like a cheesy imitation (which I've heard too many bands do over the years). For example, Medusalem sounds like The Sisters of Mercy which I can appreciate. 

But Regarding the second half: A Dying Breed is kinda meh. I like the intro and outro but sounds like b-side material. Otherwise, I like the second half albeit maybe not as much as the first half. Malignia is a beautiful song in my opinion. Funeral Bloom sounds like Fields of the Nephilim. The Future Is Dark sounds like The Cure. La Baphomette is excellent, wish it was longer. 

• 2 months later...

Ok it's time to talk about the golden elephant in the room. 

Moonspell's 11th album was released a few weeks ago and it has shaken my world. 

'1755' is a concept album based around the earthquake that destroyed most of Lisbon in that year. And this album is absolutely amazing. In fact, I was debating with myself for a long time (mass debating) about whether it was their second best or actual best - I'm sticking with their second best because I still think 'Irreligious' holds the all time title for me. 

Anyway, '1755' is close to perfect. The opening track is an orchestral version (with vocals) of 'Em Nome Dom Medo', a song that previously appeared in metal form on the 'Alpha Noir/Omega White' release. This version is just next level emotional orchestration. 

The rest of the album is heavier than their previous 'Extinct', but also much catchier at the same time. Tracks like 'Evento' (Event) and 'Desastre' (Disaster) are just anthems. The latter has an almost 'Night Eternal' vibe but simply slays anything on 'Night Eternal'.

95% of the vocals are growled with a female choir regularly making an appearance. 'In Tremor Dei' also contains guest vocals from a Portuguese singer who just brings such an evocative atmosphere to that song. All of the lyrics are in Portuguese with a little bit of Latin here and there. The 24 page booklet that comes with the CD version contains all the lyrics in both Portuguese and their English translations. And the poetry at work here is just next level. Fernando Rebeiro has outdone himself. It's also amazing to trace the theme from pre-quake, the quake, and post-quake. 

The whole focus on Lisbon and Portugal is just so exciting as a theme. I love Portugal, having spent about a week there back in the day, and the rhythms and melodies here really evoke the culture, architecture and landscape. Just amazing. Where does this rate in my albums of the year list? I'll be posting that in the appropriate forum later in December. For now, this album needs to be heard by everyone everywhere. 

Warning: Slightly graphic scenes of news footage.

IT'S DAYLIGHT IN PORTUGAL! 

On 30/11/2017 at 7:53 AM, BlutAusNerd said:

Sounds pretty good. I should probably hear the rest before passing judgment, but I didn't think it was anything to blow your load over, the it was enjoyable.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

I’m talking about the whole album fully digested as a Moonspell fan. Casual listeners who hear one track once may not feel the same way. Personally I think ‘Todos os Santos’ is an amazing song and definitely worth load blowing. To me it’s exactly what loads should be blown over in music.

The structure, detail and flow of the album is just  next level.

• 1 year later...

Finally got around to hearing the 'Lisboa Under the Spell' live release. 

Amazing release really. It's a live show with three full albums played = their first and second, 'Wolfheart' and 'Irreligious', as well as their then latest album 'Extinct', which is really good but is much weaker than the two classics that it accompanies. 

Actually it really irks me that 'Extinct' has a higher score at Metal Archives than '1755', which is a far, far, superior album if you ask me. Perhaps because the latter is in Portuguese. 

Anyway, this live set is really fantastic. The production is perfect and the 'Wolfheart' set sounds much better here than on record. It's also quite a slow a crisp performance - there is no reckless rock n roll abandon here. This is all keyed in and perfect, which I like most of the time. It's crystal clear gothic metal. 

Apparently all recorded from one huge show (three full albums performed in a row! I'd need a chair...), this is a great release from one of the world's best gothic metal bands. 

• 3 weeks later...

Lisboa Under the Spell is great. Those three albums are probably the three that I would most like to hear performed live. Memorial would've been nice as well. Those are my four favourites of theirs.

I've always thought it would be a great idea if bands would play their newest album live in its entirety during one touring cycle, then the next tour would be the usual selection of familiar favourites. 

21 hours ago, Vampyrique said:

Lisboa Under the Spell is great. Those three albums are probably the three that I would most like to hear performed live. Memorial would've been nice as well. Those are my four favourites of theirs.

I've always thought it would be a great idea if bands would play their newest album live in its entirety during one touring cycle, then the next tour would be the usual selection of familiar favourites. 

That'd be great, providing the album was really good! Would you really want to sit through all of 'Feel the Misery' before they finally got to 'The Cry of Mankind'? 

As for the Moonspell, I actually really like some of the 'Extinct' tracks more here than on record, especially 'Breathe'. Yes, I'd prefer 'Memorial' or 'Night Eternal' over 'Extinct' as the third album included here, but 'Extinct' rocks well enough in this context. 

13 hours ago, Requiem said:

That'd be great, providing the album was really good! Would you really want to sit through all of 'Feel the Misery' before they finally got to 'The Cry of Mankind'? 

As for the Moonspell, I actually really like some of the 'Extinct' tracks more here than on record, especially 'Breathe'. Yes, I'd prefer 'Memorial' or 'Night Eternal' over 'Extinct' as the third album included here, but 'Extinct' rocks well enough in this context. 

True. I've always thought My Dying Bride, given the nature of their music, might be a difficult band to sit through live, no matter what they play. Perhaps their first album would sound great in its entirety live due to its death metal energy. 

On 1/20/2020 at 11:38 AM, Vampyrique said:

True. I've always thought My Dying Bride, given the nature of their music, might be a difficult band to sit through live, no matter what they play. Perhaps their first album would sound great in its entirety live due to its death metal energy. 

I’ve seen MDB live once and I can’t remember a single thing about it.

Also, I can’t say their ‘Voice of the Wretched’ (unpoetic title) CD gets much airtime on Radio Requiem. 

There’s an energy and atmosphere in Moonspell that just translates well live. 

On 1/21/2020 at 9:47 PM, Requiem said:

I’ve seen MDB live once and I can’t remember a single thing about it.

Also, I can’t say their ‘Voice of the Wretched’ (unpoetic title) CD gets much airtime on Radio Requiem. 

There’s an energy and atmosphere in Moonspell that just translates well live. 

There's magic in Moonspell.

32 minutes ago, Requiem said:

There's mystical musical maleficence in Moonspell's melodious mellifluousness. 

I have the proof. Years ago, I had pre-ordered Alpha Noir/Omega White (the edition with the Moonspell pendant), and it arrived on the day of some sort of (rare?) lunar phenomenon. I wish I could remember what it was.

18 hours ago, Vampyrique said:

I have the proof. Years ago, I had pre-ordered Alpha Noir/Omega White (the edition with the Moonspell pendant), and it arrived on the day of some sort of (rare?) lunar phenomenon. I wish I could remember what it was.

I haven't listened to that release in ages. Thanks for the reminder. 

• 1 year later...