Sign in to stalk this  
deathstorm

Most anticipated albums of 2017

6 minutes ago, Idromos247 said:

It is. But I'm using the word "pop" to simply say its "basic", "accessible", "not-brutal", and "easy listening" when compared to the more Aggressive and underground bands within metal. =)

Not every track I listen to has to be br0000tal.

I'm looking forward to the new cannibal corpse albums "Red fades to black" coming on Nov 3!! IDC what anyone says about cannibal.. I love their latest efforts.

For sure, metal doesn't have to be brutal to be good. Many of my favorite bands don't fall along the extreme metal spectrum, but by and large, pop and metal are oil and water. There's a difference between being accessible and pandering with poppy melodies and choruses and banal riffs and rhythms. 

2 hours ago, BlutAusNerd said:

For sure, metal doesn't have to be brutal to be good. Many of my favorite bands don't fall along the extreme metal spectrum, but by and large, pop and metal are oil and water. There's a difference between being accessible and pandering with poppy melodies and choruses and banal riffs and rhythms. 

I agree 100% *cough "Ameranthe" cough*

On 9/11/2017 at 1:05 PM, Idromos247 said:

I agree 100% *cough "Ameranthe" cough*

Ironic, since this band isn't much different from Arch Enema with playing up the female fronted "sexy" gimmick and stripping their songs down to the poppy lowest common denominator, with just enough edge to give angsty Hot Topic shoppers something to show their parents and friends how "angry and misunderstood" they are.

12 hours ago, BlutAusNerd said:

Ironic, since this band isn't much different from Arch Enema with playing up the female fronted "sexy" gimmick and stripping their songs down to the poppy lowest common denominator, with just enough edge to give angsty Hot Topic shoppers something to show their parents and friends how "angry and misunderstood" they are.

Arch Enemy and Scar Symmetry were the portals that transported me into the world of extreme metal (I had been exposed to cannibal corpse before but at the time it sounded like noise).  These simple/accessible bands can be a gateway into a new dimension for someone who may not be able to jump right on cattle decapitation.

Sexy female singer can become a gimmick.. But I know I had been had been a fan of the agonist before Id ever seen a pic of Alissa. When I finally did was I supposed to hate on the band because the singer is attractive and Likes to show it off? No.

Do I consider Enjoying some arch enemy one of my guilty pleasures? Yes. Am I sorry? No.

1 hour ago, Vampyrique said:

I'm willing to bet Alissa is gone within five years. But how long will Amott keep miking his cash cow? 

Why would he stop? It's his career and it's a hell of a lot more appealing than all of our jobs. I'd love to do what he does. Preferably in a better band, but hey. Besides, what would he do if he stopped playing music, work in a supermarket or something? 

10 hours ago, Requiem said:

Why would he stop? It's his career and it's a hell of a lot more appealing than all of our jobs. I'd love to do what he does. Preferably in a better band, but hey. Besides, what would he do if he stopped playing music, work in a supermarket or something? 

Maybe become a manager or sorts, kind of like an Arch Enemy puppetmaster. He's basically like one now isn't he? He's such a cheeseball it wouldn't surprise me if he hired a new, young guitarist to take his spot and coached him on how to play his music. Amott would still write the new songs and lyrics of course but the puppet band would actually play the new songs live and do the promo videos and so on. Fans probably wouldn't know the difference nor care if they did.     

13 hours ago, Vampyrique said:

Maybe become a manager or sorts, kind of like an Arch Enemy puppetmaster. He's basically like one now isn't he? He's such a cheeseball it wouldn't surprise me if he hired a new, young guitarist to take his spot and coached him on how to play his music. Amott would still write the new songs and lyrics of course but the puppet band would actually play the new songs live and do the promo videos and so on. Fans probably wouldn't know the difference nor care if they did.     

Has this every happened in the history of music, apart from the children's band The Wiggles? 

34 minutes ago, Requiem said:

Has this every happened in the history of music, apart from the children's band The Wiggles? 

Probably. I got the impression that even Angela's current role in the band was similar to what I had suggested. I don't know much about Alissa but it seems like she is just fulfilling a role created by Amott (Angela 2.0: 'younger and sexier') but she probably doesn't realize it. 

I remember once once reading an interview with Slipknot and how they foresaw a future where Slipknot became an entity or a brand rather than just a band. I guess a continual revolving door of members spawned by newer generations would keep the brand alive and I supppse the real band would manage and direct them on how to be Slipknot? It's a goofy idea destined for failure.