Paradise Lost

Requiem

On 12/20/2016 at 11:45 PM, Requiem said:

This was originally posted in another thread on this forum, but I thought it was a travesty that the inventors of gothic metal did not have their own thread. Hopefully some PL fans can come here and talk about what they like and don't like about one of the greatest bands in the world. 

Here's my list of their studio albums from least favourite to best favourite, as well as a brief outline of my thoughts. Please feel free to contribute etc. 

15. Believe in Nothing (2001)

This album is terrible. Flat, thin, rock that is presumably a response to the lack of mainstream success 'Host' was supposed to have but never did. From the bees on the cover to the emotionless musical pap throughout, this is what a great band sounds like when they no longer care. The first song is pretty good though. 

14. Symbol of Life (2002)

This is ok, and the band is clearly trying to get a bit of weight back into their sound after the previous two albums - see below - although they still sound a bit lost in the woods. The first two tracks are cool enough but there's not a lot bringing me back to repeated listenings, except for maybe 'No Celebration' which is a great New Years Eve song. 

13. Host (1999)

The electronic album. Everyone hated this at the time - I certainly did - but I have to say it's grown on me and I can appreciate it a lot more now. The songs are structured like regular PL tracks but all the beeps and squeaks (and haircuts!) are a bridge too far. I'll put this on sometimes and tell myself it's ok. 

12. Medusa (2017)

This is still fresh from the factory, but I have to say that I'm a bit empty after listening to this. The sludgy guitar tone is very sludgy, the riffs feel a bit bland and I don't get much of a chill or thrill from any of it. It feels more like a grindy sort of Cathedral album along the lines of 'The Last Spire'. Some of this is cool though, like the title track and the opening and closing songs. Overall though, it's not hitting me like these albums usually do. Maybe it will grow in time? The deliberately retro album cover is also a bit underwhelming. EDIT: This album has grown worse, not better, with time. 

11. One Second (1997)

This is the album that is personally responsible for the wimping out of Amorphis, Moonspell, My Dying Bride, Theatre of Tragedy and any number of bands who now wanted electronic elements in their sounds and to make 'rock' songs. 'One Second' is a cool album for sure and a huge shift for the gothic metal genre. When this came out after DT my friends and I were into it, but it was something of a disappointment. Mercifully, most of the bands listed here have returned to making quality metal again so all is forgiven. It just goes to show how influential Paradise Lost are. They started the genre then changed it and everyone followed them. Don't believe me, check out the dates of these bands' experimental phases. I'm sure you could probably name more bands who also went down this path at the time. 

10. Lost Paradise (1990)

The death metal album that started it all. Not sure how much I truly love this or if it's simply because it's a PL album, but there's a lot of feeling for this admittedly rough collection of 'songs'. 

9. Tragic Idol (2012)

This is a very good album but sounds quite similar to the two albums above, and although there are obvious differences I thought at the time, and still do, that they needed to change it up a little. It's good but doesn't really have much in the way of classics as far as songs are concerned. Beautiful box set artwork. 

8. The Plague Within (2015)

A very good album so late in their career. All the band's trademarks are here with possibly my favourite track of theirs 'Beneath Broken Earth' which gives me chills every time I hear it. There's a sense of darkness and rawness here. Great use of minor orchestration to give the rough songs texture. I have cooled on this a little bit since it first came out, but I still really like it.

7. In Requiem (2007)

The return to metal! When this came out I was blown away and so overjoyed that they were playing this style again. The songwriting is top notch too. They're totally inspired and you can tell.

6. Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us (2009)

Title track is a genre masterpiece and the rest of the songs are emotive and atmospheric. 'Last Regret' is also so emotional and wonderful. This is the best of their recent return to heaviness.

5. Paradise Lost, otherwise known as X (2005)

A beautifully polished album that sits between their heavier material and the more melodic. An amazing production and just great songs. If I'm feeling in between, then this is perfect. 

4. Shades of God (1992)

Really an in-between album but a full blown classic nonetheless. The songwriting here is brilliant and of course 'As I Die' could well be their greatest song. Production is a touch underdone but that is part of its charm. 

3. Gothic (1991)

The album that created a genre. For 1991 no one was doing this, with a touch of female vocals and a truly gothic atmosphere through a bit of synth. It sounds a little rough by today's standards but the songs are brilliant and there's something really special about the moment in time when this was created. O brave new world that has such albums in it. 

2. Icon (1993)

A little more robust in sound than DT, this is the first truly polished gothic metal album from the band. A little more metal. They've finally nailed it after shifting (creating!) genres. For 1993 this is so far ahead of its time. 'Embers Fire' is another song for the ages and should be played at everyone's funerals. 

1. Draconian Times (1995)

The gothic metal masterpiece. Perfect production - the drums! - and a beautiful vibe throughout. Songs like 'Enchantment' and 'The Last Time' will remain anthems until the end of time. I got this when I was 15 the year it came out, so it's really shaped me. This is what happens when an inspired band touches something really special in the studio and create a sound that could never really be repeated. I get chills every time I hear those opening piano notes...

Can't say I'm a die hard fan but I like a lot of their material from different albums. I don't have favorite release, but different songs from different albums.

Believe - I like "Fader" and "I am Nothing" 

Symbol - I dig this album, I think there are some creative songs, completely weird and different, like "Pray Nightfall", Symbol of Life" is great, "Small Town Boy" cover is great, "Isolate" is ok, more-less, same with "Perfect Mask", never really liked "Erased".

"Host" - Interesting record, cool sound, "Nothing Sacred", just wonderful harmonies, "Permanent Solutions" I like very much (I like version from video). "Made the Same", really cool track, I like harmonies, melodies, the whole dark pop atmosphere, Nick really has great pop voice when he wants to do it. 

"Medusa" - "The Longest Winter", fuckin' dirty, well produced doom with heavy drums, guitars, old school PL in modern production, vocals remind me of Type O Negative, which is cool. Haven't listened to the rest of this record, some of the other singles were kinda boring for me, "Blood and Chaos" and all that.

"One Second" - "One Second" i melodically ok and I dig it as a track but I think that production is a bit too raw and old school, that kinda bothers me. "Say Just Words" is just ok, nothing more. Everything else is kinda meh.

"Lost Paradise" is kinda just for old school, nostalgic listening, I don't perceive it as an album that has some memorable track, just straight doom/death metal, beggining of a band and all that.

"Tragic Idol" - "Crucify", "Fear of Impending Hell", "Honesty in Death", absolutely fantastic work, I enjoy it all the time. The rst of album wasn't too interesting to me.

"Plague" - "No Hope In Sight", beautiful, depressive, melancholic, just sadness. "Beneath the Broken Earth" wasn't really for me at the beggining, way to much old school, but it grew on me, kinda like it now, old school doom/death metal in modern production, cool.

"Requiem" - I think production sucks here, too raw. Never mind, "Praise Lamented Shade" and "Requiem" are beautiful tracks, I just wish that production was a bit more polished.

"Faith Divides Us..." - "As Horizons Ends" is one of my favorites, just apocalyptic and heavy riffing, strong vocals, just great. "First Light" has a great chorus, the rest of track is kinda bit not constructed well enough, I don't think that all the parts match. "Faith Divides...", just great song, very sad and depressive but melodic and strong, great video also. "Last Regret" is so sad and dramatic that hits me deep in my sad soul, tears come every time, beautiful track, forever and ever.

"Paradise Lost" - Never really listened anything from this album that kinda stuck with me so I don't really have any opinion on this record.

"Shades of God" - Honestly, never really listened it properly, not finding any track that is kinda sticking with me.

"Gothic" - This record is more about the history, first album with female vocals while the band still play death/doom sound. Don't hear any particular strong tracks, but historically is important.

"Icon" - Sorry, never really listened to it properly.

"Draconian Times" - "Enchantment". What a track, especially the last part where harmonies and the whole atmosphere is fantastic, especially when strings come in. I could put that on loop forever, beautiful.

"Draconian Times" was my intro to PL, when it was released, and I went through a brief period of interest in most of their stuff. I don't remember what soured me on them, but it happened pretty quickly. I can't get into Nick's "singing" voice at all anymore."Gothic" is the only album from these guys I still enjoy, but I enjoy it a lot.

Can't say I'm a die hard fan but I like a lot of their material from different albums. I don't have favorite release, but different songs from different albums.

Symbol - I dig this album, I think there are some creative songs, completely weird and different, like "Pray Nightfall", Symbol of Life" is great, "Small Town Boy" cover is great, "Isolate" is ok, more-less, same with "Perfect Mask", never really liked "Erased".

"Host" - Interesting record, cool sound, "Nothing Sacred", just wonderful harmonies, "Permanent Solutions" I like very much (I like version from video). "Made the Same", really cool track, I like harmonies, melodies, the whole dark pop atmosphere, Nick really has great pop voice when he wants to do it. 
"Medusa" - "The Longest Winter", fuckin' dirty, well produced doom with heavy drums, guitars, old school PL in modern production, vocals remind me of Type O Negative, which is cool. Haven't listened to the rest of this record, some of the other singles were kinda boring for me, "Blood and Chaos" and all that.

"One Second" - "One Second" i melodically ok and I dig it as a track but I think that production is a bit too raw and old school, that kinda bothers me. "Say Just Words" is just ok, nothing more. Everything else is kinda meh.
"Lost Paradise" is kinda just for old school, nostalgic listening, I don't perceive it as an album that has some memorable track, just straight doom/death metal, beggining of a band and all that.
 "Tragic Idol" - "Crucify", "Fear of Impending Hell", "Honesty in Death", absolutely fantastic work, I enjoy it all the time. The rst of album wasn't too interesting to me.
"Plague" - "No Hope In Sight", beautiful, depressive, melancholic, just sadness. "Beneath the Broken Earth" wasn't really for me at the beggining, way to much old school, but it grew on me, kinda like it now, old school doom/death metal in modern production, cool.
"Requiem" - I think production sucks here, too raw. Never mind, "Praise Lamented Shade" and "Requiem" are beautiful tracks, I just wish that production was a bit more polished.
"Faith Divides Us..." - "As Horizons Ends" is one of my favorites, just apocalyptic and heavy riffing, strong vocals, just great. "First Light" has a great chorus, the rest of track is kinda bit not constructed well enough, I don't think that all the parts match. "Faith Divides...", just great song, very sad and depressive but melodic and strong, great video also. "Last Regret" is so sad and dramatic that hits me deep in my sad soul, tears come every time, beautiful track, forever and ever.
"Paradise Lost" - Never really listened anything from this album that kinda stuck with me so I don't really have any opinion on this record.
"Shades of God" - Honestly, never really listened it properly, not finding any track that is kinda sticking with me.
"Gothic" - This record is more about the history, first album with female vocals while the band still play death/doom sound. Don't hear any particular strong tracks, but historically is important.
"Draconian Times" - "Enchantment". What a track, especially the last part where harmonies and the whole atmosphere is fantastic, especially when strings come in. I could put that on loop forever, beautiful.

So you’ve not really listened to Shades of God & Icon? That’s like a Metallica fan not really listening to Master of Puppets or Ride the Lightning. Man, you need to invest. Particularly in Icon......

11 hours ago, Kristiko said:

Hey, cool post! It’s interesting that you like certain songs rather than praising albums as a whole. That’s a pretty unique way of looking at the albums - nice one.

I definitely recommend hearing a lot more of ‘Icon’ and ‘Shades of God’, but because the band has such a huge variety of sounds within the basic Paradise Lost template it’s hard to know if you’ll like them. Songs like ‘As I Die’ from ‘Gods’ and ‘True Belief’ (also great guy) are classics and worth hearing! 

That’s why even though I don’t really enjoy ‘Medusa’ very much, I still appreciate it because it’s yet another menu item in the glorious restaurant of the Lost.

• 4 weeks later...
Blutey, what do you think of ‘Medusa’?

Other than a couple of singles, I haven't heard any of their new albums past Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us. I'm bad about keeping up with new releases, especially if I'm not expecting much from the band in question. I liked the singles I heard from the last album before it, but that's about as far as I can comment.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, BlutAusNerd said:

Other than a couple of singles, I haven't heard any of their new albums past Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us. I'm bad about keeping up with new releases, especially if I'm not expecting much from the band in question. I liked the singles I heard from the last album before it, but that's about as far as I can comment.

I think you'd probably like 'The Plague Within'. As for 'Medusa', I find it really bland and boring, albeit with fuzzy guitars. Fuzzy guitars but no riffs. It's a sad state of affairs.

1 hour ago, ChainsawAkimbo said:

Seems to me they make a great album every ten years now, so looking forward to 2025! :D 

Draconian times 1995, Paradise lost 2005, The plague within 2015.. Basically everything between those has been more or less bad or just "bland and boring"..

While you're lucky that you've named three absolutely stunning albums there, I really have to take umbrage at this cheeky post. 

I don't even know where to start. 'Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us' is amazing. 'Tragic Idol' and 'In Requiem' are really cool. So all three albums between 'Paradise Lost' and 'The Plague Within' are awesome, although they are fairly samey. I think if they did one more album in that style I'd probably have issues, but they changed it up with the great 'TPW'. 

Then we got 'Medusa'... :(

1 hour ago, Requiem said:

I don't even know where to start. 'Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us' is amazing. 'Tragic Idol' and 'In Requiem' are really cool. 

Thats the thing.. theres maybe 1 song in each of those albums that i really like, and i just never really got into them. I don´t know why really. They just do not click with me.. 

Seems to me they make a great album every ten years now, so looking forward to 2025! [emoji3] 
Draconian times 1995, Paradise lost 2005, The plague within 2015.. Basically everything between those has been more or less bad or just "bland and boring"..
Wow, that's some next level nonsense.

1 hour ago, BlutAusNerd said:

Wow, that's some next level nonsense.

You can´t like what you don´t like, no shame in that.. also i would like to hear why it´s the next level of nonsense, and not just regular nonsense? :) 

I am currently giving the 3 albums (yet) another go.. 

EDIT:You gotta understand, that PL is one of the biggest bands of all time for me, it has been a huge favourite for over 20 years. So there propably aren´t many people who have listened to their albums more, over and over again. That means i have also a high preception to really like everything they do. And when i don´t, it means i REALLY don´t. Can´t force it. It´s a band that has something for almost everyone to enjoy, and i keep listening to the albums i love, like i have for ages anyway. :) 

You can´t like what you don´t like, no shame in that.. also i would like to hear why it´s the next level of nonsense, and not just regular nonsense? [emoji4] 
I am currently giving the 3 albums (yet) another go.. 
EDIT:You gotta understand, that PL is one of the biggest bands of all time for me, it has been a huge favourite for over 20 years. So there propably aren´t many people who have listened to their albums more, over and over again. That means i have also a high preception to really like everything they do. And when i don´t, it means i REALLY don´t. Can´t force it. It´s a band that has something for almost everyone to enjoy, and i keep listening to the albums i love, like i have for ages anyway. [emoji4] 
It seems crazy to me because Icon is definitely in the same vein as Draconian Times, but the former is vastly superior to my ears. Even if you feel differently, it's strange that Icon doesn't do it for you. Aside from that, skipping over all of their great formative albums for the tame self-titled comeback is insane. In Requiem and Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us both sounded a lot stronger and less dull to my ears, even if they're far from the "return to form" that they were hailed to be when they were released. I haven't heard most of their new stuff beyond that, but I don't think I'm alone in my belief that you're casting aside most of their best material.

17 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:

It seems crazy to me because Icon is definitely in the same vein as Draconian Times, but the former is vastly superior to my ears. Even if you feel differently, it's strange that Icon doesn't do it for you. Aside from that, skipping over all of their great formative albums for the tame self-titled comeback is insane. In Requiem and Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us both sounded a lot stronger and less dull to my ears, even if they're far from the "return to form" that they were hailed to be when they were released. I haven't heard most of their new stuff beyond that, but I don't think I'm alone in my belief that you're casting aside most of their best material.

Whaat? I absolutely love Icon! :D I think you misread my post somewhat. I really love everything up to Draconian times, after that the albums that i´ve enjoyed and listened most have been "tame self-titled comeback" and The plague within. I just noticed a funny trend that theres a 10 year gap between the 3 last albums i´ve listened to most. I guess i must be insane then. ;) 

40 minutes ago, ChainsawAkimbo said:

Whaat? I absolutely love Icon! :D I think you misread my post somewhat. I really love everything up to Draconian times, after that the albums that i´ve enjoyed and listened most have been "tame self-titled comeback" and The plague within. I just noticed a funny trend that theres a 10 year gap between the 3 last albums i´ve listened to most. I guess i must be insane then. ;) 

Express an opinion around here at your peril, Chainsaw ;)

I'm pleased you called out 'Paradise Lost' for the great album it is. I think it tends to get overlooked a fair bit. I think it just nails that slick gothic metal sound. I'm a firm believer that this album is one of their greats, as I outlined in my list. 

14 minutes ago, Requiem said:

Express an opinion around here at your peril, Chainsaw ;)

I'm pleased you called out 'Paradise Lost' for the great album it is. I think it tends to get overlooked a fair bit. I think it just nails that slick gothic metal sound. I'm a firm believer that this album is one of their greats, as I outlined in my list. 

It's an easy album to love for me. When it was released the "oh yes they are on the right track again!" factor was so huge for me, ended up listening the crap out of the album and it is indeed one i cherish forever in my heart. :P 

1 minute ago, ChainsawAkimbo said:

It's an easy album to love for me. When it was released the "oh yes they are on the right track again!" factor was so huge for me, ended up listening the crap out of the album and it is indeed one i cherish forever in my heart. :P 

I got that feeling too. It was like sort of 21st century 'Draconian Times', at least compared with the hard-to-like previous four albums. I still remember the thrill I got when I heard the piano intro for 'Don't Belong' the first time I put it on the stereo in 2005. Paradise Lost were back! 

I prefer In Requiem to the self-titled disc. I hardly reach for it much tbh. Never really clicked for me. Of their last ‘return to metal’ albums I’d favour Tragic Idol, FDUDUU and Plague with the aforementioned Requiem(hi mate[emoji2]) slotting in after those.

I love 'Icon' ..fuckin great album.

Hail Natassja7 & hail Icon!!

**As a side note, a mate picked up Draconian Times for the first time during the week. He’s take was “Sisters of Mercy with Hetfield on vocals” ha ha..

30 minutes ago, True Belief said:

I prefer In Requiem to the self-titled disc. I hardly reach for it much tbh. Never really clicked for me. Of their last ‘return to metal’ albums I’d favour Tragic Idol, FDUDUU and Plague with the aforementioned Requiem(hi mateemoji2.png) slotting in after those.

Hail Natassja7 & hail Icon!!

**As a side note, a mate picked up Draconian Times for the first time during the week. He’s take was “Sisters of Mercy with Hetfield on vocals” ha ha..

I was pretty psyched when 'In Requiem' came out. I bought the t-shirt and everything. While I obviously love the self-titled album, 'In Requiem' was the statement album really. They were serious about metal again. I'll wear the shirt next time I see you in honour of bands regaining their musical sense...

Whaat? I absolutely love Icon! [emoji3] I think you misread my post somewhat. I really love everything up to Draconian times, after that the albums that i´ve enjoyed and listened most have been "tame self-titled comeback" and The plague within. I just noticed a funny trend that theres a 10 year gap between the 3 last albums i´ve listened to most. I guess i must be insane then. [emoji6] 
You said they only make a good album once every 10 years "now", but not when "now" started. It seemed like it was starting with Draconian Times, as though everything before it fit the same exemption as after it. Now that it's been clarified, it makes sense, but it does seem like an ambiguous way to state it.

I was pretty psyched when 'In Requiem' came out. I bought the t-shirt and everything. While I obviously love the self-titled album, 'In Requiem' was the statement album really. They were serious about metal again. I'll wear the shirt next time I see you in honour of bands regaining their musical sense...

Good to know..... I’d hate our outfits to clash...