Paradise Lost

Requiem

will do, ive heard nicks vocals aint too great live though. nut once they play embers fire and enchantment ill be happy.

He’s never been the greatest to carry a ‘tune’. Growls sounded ok when Requiem & I saw them recently. Band were good too. Stage presence was somewhat lacking though.... very bare in their stage props etc.

15 hours ago, blessed1 said:

will do, ive heard nicks vocals aint too great live though. nut once they play embers fire and enchantment ill be happy.

His vocals were good when I saw them in December. They’re a bit hit and miss on live recordings - when you’re in the actual room they sound fine though.

They definitely played ‘Enchantment’. Pretty sure they played ‘Embers Fire’ too. 

Both are my favourite PL songs. 

His vocals were good when I saw them in December. They’re a bit hit and miss on live recordings - when you’re in the actual room they sound fine though.
They definitely played ‘Enchantment’. Pretty sure they played ‘Embers Fire’ too. 
Both are my favourite PL songs. 
They were much better live with Bloodbath than on the recording, but I still have yet to see PL. It's almost as though he remembered what to do after the album dropped, and it shows in the difference between the last Bloodbath album and his growls in newer PL

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:

They were much better live with Bloodbath than on the recording, but I still have yet to see PL. It's almost as though he remembered what to do after the album dropped, and it shows in the difference between the last Bloodbath album and his growls in newer PL

I need to check that Bloodbath album out. Not sure why I’m dragging my heals on it (after a disappointing listen when it first came out, but I do want to give it another go). 

I need to check that Bloodbath album out. Not sure why I’m dragging my heals on it (after a disappointing listen when it first came out, but I do want to give it another go). 
What I've heard from it was classy in the music department, but Nick's vocals sounded constipated and lame. Live though, he really held his own. He didn't hit the high notes on any of their tracks, but he hit a pretty solid mid-range that sounded nothing like Lost Paradise or Gothic, but was pretty effective.

On 2/17/2018 at 5:17 PM, BlutAusNerd said:

What I've heard from it was classy in the music department, but Nick's vocals sounded constipated and lame. Live though, he really held his own. He didn't hit the high notes on any of their tracks, but he hit a pretty solid mid-range that sounded nothing like Lost Paradise or Gothic, but was pretty effective.

When Anders and Jonas asked him to join Bloodbath I presume he agreed immediately for the paycheck, then worried about how he was going to pull of those vocals later on hahaha. 

When Anders and Jonas asked him to join Bloodbath I presume he agreed immediately for the paycheck, then worried about how he was going to pull of those vocals later on hahaha. 
No question. Bloodbath garners more attention than any non-formative death metal band these days simply because of their lineup, and laying down some quick vocals for a fat paycheck would probably have anyone signing up.

1 hour ago, BlutAusNerd said:

No question. Bloodbath garners more attention than any non-formative death metal band these days simply because of their lineup, and laying down some quick vocals for a fat paycheck would probably have anyone signing up.

The really funny/sad thing is finding people who think that they're somehow the pinnacle of what "old-school" DM has to offer. I've come across statements like "Bloodbath is the only 90s death metal band I can get into".

The really funny/sad thing is finding people who think that they're somehow the pinnacle of what "old-school" DM has to offer. I've come across statements like "Bloodbath is the only 90s death metal band I can get into".
I've seen that sentiment spread all over the internet more times than I can count from people who don't know any better. It's all about the lineup, and also that they added in choruses and more straightforward song structures that people that aren't into death metal could more easily get into. As we can all agree, accessibility and "supergroup" status are hardly synonymous with quality. I like Bloodbath, but they're not the pinnacle of anything.

I'm listening to 'Grand Morbid Funeral' now, and I like it a lot more than when it first came out. I think I must have demonised Nick's voice in my mind a little bit, cause it's alright here.  

A little scary to see that it came out in 2014. Time moves so quickly these days it's ridiculous. 

I'm listening to 'Grand Morbid Funeral' now, and I like it a lot more than when it first came out. I think I must have demonised Nick's voice in my mind a little bit, cause it's alright here.  
A little scary to see that it came out in 2014. Time moves so quickly these days it's ridiculous. 

The drummer in both of my bands grabbed it recently and said I should give it another go as well. I guess it could've hurt anything.

Good to see an advertisement on this site for the re-release of 'Host'. I don't offer buy re-releases if I already have the original, but I won't deny that I'm curious. It's coming up to its 20th anniversary next year. Nothing reminds me of the passing of time quite like metal release dates...

Good to see an advertisement on this site for the re-release of 'Host'. I don't offer buy re-releases if I already have the original, but I won't deny that I'm curious. It's coming up to its 20th anniversary next year. Nothing reminds me of the passing of time quite like metal release dates...

I’d only consider this if you (desperately) need an extra beer coaster. One of the single biggest musical crimes committed to tape. Zero redeemable features. Not one!

I know we don’t agree on this.....

8 minutes ago, True Belief said:

I’d only consider this if you (desperately) need an extra beer coaster. One of the single biggest musical crimes committed to tape. Zero redeemable features. Not one!

I know we don’t agree on this.....

But it says "Paradise Lost" on the cover so I need two copies! I don't actually intend to listen to it for longer than 20 minutes...

I hated it upon release, and I think if Paradise Lost were still playing that style of music today I wouldn't have anything good to say about it. But knowing that they make it back to sanity with subsequent albums means that I can actually enjoy parts of it, perhaps as a curiosity than because of any great musical genius it might or might not contain... Like, I can relax and take it for what it is - an experiement. 

• 7 months later...

Draconian Times will always and forever be one of my most favorite albums of all time. It's just so iconic. I love the guitar tone, it has a very unique atmosphere and vibe, and the cleans are some of the most beautiful I have ever heard. I remember exactly where I was when I first heard that album in its entirety. I was burning incense on a summer evening and there were white roses in the room. Whenever I hear anything from that album, it conjures that memory so strongly I can feel the heat and smell the incense as if I'd stepped back in time. It's a really magical piece of music, and I don't think anything else in this genre even comes close to touching it.

I'm not familiar with any of their recent music. After the massive change in sound, I quit following them for the most part. I don't much care for their earliest albums, either. Icon is pretty good. Self-titled is okay I guess. Their collection of B-sides is surprisingly killer.

On 10/30/2018 at 5:24 AM, Depraved said:

Draconian Times will always and forever be one of my most favorite albums of all time. It's just so iconic. I love the guitar tone, it has a very unique atmosphere and vibe, and the cleans are some of the most beautiful I have ever heard. I remember exactly where I was when I first heard that album in its entirety. I was burning incense on a summer evening and there were white roses in the room. Whenever I hear anything from that album, it conjures that memory so strongly I can feel the heat and smell the incense as if I'd stepped back in time. It's a really magical piece of music, and I don't think anything else in this genre even comes close to touching it.

I'm not familiar with any of their recent music. After the massive change in sound, I quit following them for the most part. I don't much care for their earliest albums, either. Icon is pretty good. Self-titled is okay I guess. Their collection of B-sides is surprisingly killer.

Agree 100% (again!) regarding ‘Draconian Times’. Just a beautiful album on all fronts. 

Funny you say you stopped following the band after they changed their sound, because aren’t you about 18 years old? Could have that wrong!? 

Check out ‘Faith Divides Us’ and ‘In Requiem’ if you haven’t - they’re cool albums. I think we share similar tastes in music. 

10 minutes ago, Requiem said:

because aren’t you about 18 years old?

I wish!!! I'm almost 30! And yes, that picture in the photo thread was taken only a few days ago. 

Although it's true I got into the band a few years later, but I always listen to earlier albums first and then travel chronologically through the catalogue. I do that with all bands. So I suppose you could take my comment to mean chronologically rather than in real time, as they had already released Host and Believe in Nothing by then. I just hadn't heard them yet.

20 minutes ago, Requiem said:

I think we share similar tastes in music.

Yeah I noticed that too after a few days of stalking the boards. In which case your taste in music is fucking excellent in my opinion! 

2 hours ago, Depraved said:

I wish!!! I'm almost 30! And yes, that picture in the photo thread was taken only a few days ago. 

Although it's true I got into the band a few years later, but I always listen to earlier albums first and then travel chronologically through the catalogue. I do that with all bands. So I suppose you could take my comment to mean chronologically rather than in real time, as they had already released Host and Believe in Nothing by then. I just hadn't heard them yet.

Yeah I noticed that too after a few days of stalking the boards. In which case your taste in music is fucking excellent in my opinion! 

Aaah, ok. Sorry about that. I just assumed from what you said that you were younger than that. 

I think it's safe to say that our combined taste in music is right on the money. Compliments to you! 

• 1 year later...
On 11/24/2019 at 4:39 PM, Grievous said:

Possibly the most underrated metal band of all time?

I'm not sure...but both The Plague Within & Medusa tickled me in just the right ways. In fact The Plague Within was my album of year for 2015.

I don’t know, they’re rated pretty highly in metal circles. 

I still can’t really get into ‘Medusa’, but ‘The Plague Within’ is an amazing album and I’d say that it’s definitely not talked about enough in the world of METAL!!!

29 minutes ago, Requiem said:

I don’t know, they’re rated pretty highly in metal circles. 

As they should be.

29 minutes ago, Requiem said:

I still can’t really get into ‘Medusa’

That's fair...I have to admit after The Plague Within Medusa originally fell flat for me...but in time I eventually came to appreciate Medusa for its own sound & songs.

30 minutes ago, Requiem said:

‘The Plague Within’ is an amazing album and I’d say that it’s definitely not talked about enough in the world of METAL!!!

I would agree 110% on that. Its a shame because The Plague Within could have been a major turning point for them...but I think the marketing push just wasn't there for it. It needed more press & exposure...more people needed to hear it.

18 hours ago, Grievous said:

As they should be.

That's fair...I have to admit after The Plague Within Medusa originally fell flat for me...but in time I eventually came to appreciate Medusa for its own sound & songs.

I would agree 110% on that. Its a shame because The Plague Within could have been a major turning point for them...but I think the marketing push just wasn't there for it. It needed more press & exposure...more people needed to hear it.

Yeah, there wasn’t a great deal of media presence if memory serves. 

Still, the video for ‘Beneath Broken Earth’ has over 3 million plays on YouTube, so it’s gained its own momentum. 

It would be a pity if songs like ‘No Hope in Sight’ ended up forgotten about in the dustbin of metal history. They just have so many albums out now that it sort of cheapens the currency. Even a really great album like ‘The Plague Within’ can just sort of pass people by. 

24 minutes ago, Requiem said:

Still, the video for ‘Beneath Broken Earth’ has over 3 million plays on YouTube, so it’s gained its own momentum. 

By the way...its a great karaoke song as well.

?

24 minutes ago, Requiem said:

It would be a pity if songs like ‘No Hope in Sight’ ended up forgotten about in the dustbin of metal history. They just have so many albums out now that it sort of cheapens the currency. Even a really great album like ‘The Plague Within’ can just sort of pass people by. 

Well...sometimes it all depends on the right song reaching the right ears...but you are right in that there is just SO much music out there these days & most people (including myself) are going to be selective with their time & choices.

• 2 months later...

Not replying to previous response. But I saw paradise lost play bloodstock in 2016 and I got to say when they played the older stuff they were amazing that day. Nick is not always great live but he can be amazing. To my ears it was one of the best things I'd heard. So atmospheric, heavy and dark. There latest release is one I need to get. Got lost paradise shortly after that which I enjoyed alot plus getting gothic live track on there was a real bonus. What a track. Very sad but I still like spinning it again ?

• 1 month later...