What are you drinking?

ProfessorBoozenthrash

13 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

I know you've got to get on with your day, but even when I was working I always felt life is too short for bad coffee. I do not drink instant except at the in-laws.

Life is definitely too short for bad coffee. What I would do in your situation Doc, is either bring your coffee making equipment with you when you visit the in-laws, or just keep a coffee set-up there in the closet or out in the garage or something. Even if you only fly down to visit once or twice a year it'd be worth it.

46 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

I know you've got to get on with your day, but even when I was working I always felt life is too short for bad coffee. I do not drink instant except at the in-laws.

I'm not enough of a coffee expert to know what bad coffee is. At 6am it's usually Nescafe Blend 43 because all I need is a mug, a spoon and hot water and I can do that in the dark. During the day if I have coffee it's often some other brand from ground beans bought by the kilo, but I really don't know what is good and bad. For all I know the Lavazza coffee I've got here now is considered crap by someone who knows coffee better than me, but I don't hate it.

Yeah but plenty of people can list bad coffee by name, I can't. Well I can when it comes to instant coffee, we have some terrible shit here, but if I was to go to a cafe/coffee shop and look at the name over their coffee machine I wouldn't know from the name whether it's brand people generally like or dislike.

8 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Bad coffee is coffee that you don't enjoy. If you enjoy the instant then it's not bad coffee for you and you should stock up. Why would anyone care what someone else considers "bad coffee?" Just like with music, you've gotta go with what you like and disregard others' opinions.

Wisdom of the Goat… hey that sounds like a black metal album title now that I think of it. Anyway if you enjoy the coffee you drink then it’s not bad Ku, taste is subjective as our top 10 lists prove time and again.

1 minute ago, KillaKukumba said:

Yeah but plenty of people can list bad coffee by name, I can't. Well I can when it comes to instant coffee, we have some terrible shit here, but if I was to go to a cafe/coffee shop and look at the name over their coffee machine I wouldn't know from the name whether it's brand people generally like or dislike.

I'm a coffee lover, but if you were to blindflold me I probably couldn't tell you one kind of beans from another. I don't go by brands, I go by brewing methods. Instant coffee is undrinkable imo, I'd rather just drink water. Drip coffee (which is by far the most common method in the states) is better and reasonably easy even at 4:30am, but it's too weak for me. Espresso, or rather flat whites are my preferred form of coffee, but I'm not picky about the beans. I don't care what brand they are or even where they're grown, as long as they're reasonably fresh and the darkest roast I can find they're usually good enough for me.

I can take or leave coffee, so I don't really take notice of brands. There is a few instants I will avoid, but generally the rest are fair game for me and I'd be unlikely to tell them apart. Even the bad ones I probably couldn't name by taste but I would refuse to drink after tasting.

But the coffee culture in this country is fucked. Coffee snobs enter into every ones life at some point. We've got everyone from bloody 7/11 to McDonalds advertising ad naseum telling us how great their coffees are and how they all use the best beans known to man. That in turn leads to a whole bunch of people who stand around coffee shops all day sipping from the cup whose contents has a name that takes 10 minutes to get out. Then we have the fools who wont got to X shop because they use Y brand, or they boycott another place because they make the coffee too hot, or too cold. Coffee snobs here are worse than bloody vegans.

Funny, my two best friends here in real life don't drink coffee at all, so I'm really sheltered from people like that. In America I've found that almost none of these idiots working in coffee shops really knows how to make a decent coffee (while in Aus/NZ I thought the flat whites purchased in little independent coffee shops (85% or more of our coffee shops here are the chain Starbucks) was usually pretty good) so I almost never get a $7 coffee out anywhere, I make coffee at home. I get whichever beans are the cheapest at the supermarket, don't care about brands. It's already hard to find whole beans in some smaller places out here in the boonies because most Americans just buy ground coffee for their drip coffeemakers. I'm not gonna go to the local coffee roasters and pay $15+ US for a tiny little paper bagfull of beans, so I just buy mine at the supermarket. I'll scan the shelves to see what dark roast whole bean options I have, and then pick one of the cheaper ones or whichever one is on sale. 

Yeah I do similar. Instant it's generally the same brand and I buy it when it's marked down. Otherwise I buy ground beans, because I don't have a grinder, and I buy whatever is the cheapest at the supermarket. If I've run out I'll buy the cheapest per weight, or if I see any ground beans on half price I'll just buy them and stick them on the shelf. Takes us so long to go through a 1kg bag that I forget what brands I bought anyway.

I drink dark roasts too. I do care about the beans... no desire to spend a shit ton of money but no reason to cheap out and drink stuff I don't like. Thankfully it's easy to find good beans around. We have a couple good local coffee shops that roast their own, and when I can't make it out to one of those spots, I'll pick up some Peet's from Target or the grocery store. "Major Dickason's Blend" is the good one. My wife likes using a press, but I prefer those paper cone filters I mentioned a while back. I don't mind the time it takes to brew; I've been making my own coffee since I was 13, I know how I like it, and that morning cup is one of life's true pleasures. Kuke's description of Aussie coffee culture sounds absurd.

1 minute ago, FatherAlabaster said:

I drink dark roasts too. I do care about the beans... no desire to spend a shit ton of money but no reason to cheap out and drink stuff I don't like. Thankfully it's easy to find good beans around. We have a couple good local coffee shops that roast their own, and when I can't make it out to one of those spots, I'll pick up some Peet's from Target or the grocery store. "Major Dickason's Blend" is the good one. My wife likes using a press, but I prefer those paper cone filters I mentioned a while back. I don't mind the time it takes to brew; I've been making my own coffee since I was 13, I know how I like it, and that morning cup is one of life's true pleasures. Kuke's description of Aussie coffee culture sounds absurd.

They do carry Peet's here in all the stores but they don't have most of their different roasts available in whole bean, they only have most of them ground. I would be wanting their French Roast or the Espresso Forte in the whole bean which I can't find so I don't buy Peets. I could probably order it online or something if I was dead set on having Peet's but I haven't looked into it.

I remember seeing a video tour of the Testament tour bus on Youtube one time and those dudes had a couple of cabinets stuffed full of Peet's coffee bags, they must sponsor them or something.

5 minutes ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

It’s not just Macca’s, now HJ’s are doing it too.

HJ's = hand jobs?

13 minutes ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

It’s not just Macca’s, now HJ’s are doing it too.

Oh yeah I forgot about that. It's probably why Maccas want to keep telling us that they invented the cafe in a take away store.

7 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

HJ's = hand jobs?

Hungry Jacks. We only have a select few Burger Kings, expect in WA where they are all Burger Kings.

Oh and if you want a HJ at HJ's wash carefully afterwards.

7 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I remember seeing a video tour of the Testament tour bus on Youtube one time and those dudes had a couple of cabinets stuffed full of Peet's coffee bags, they must sponsor them or something.

Testament are selling their own coffee these days. Given Chuck's weed business I wonder if he mixes beans and weed and makes a special blend.

7 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

Hungry Jacks. We only have a select few Burger Kings, expect in WA where they are all Burger Kings.

Oh and if you want a HJ at HJ's wash carefully afterwards.

Testament are selling their own coffee these days. Given Chuck's weed business I wonder if he mixes beans and weed and makes a special blend.

Weed's legal here now so maybe I'd try it. I'm not gonna start smoking it again after all these years but if I could drink it...

8 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

I don't know how good his weed or his coffee is but I know it's fucking expensive to get here. I think last time time I looked, to mail order from the Testament website, a bag equivalent to about 1Kg was going to cost $85.

Looked on their site they want $20 for a standard 12oz bag, which is just about a third of a kilo. Tried putting it in the cart but it wouldn't show me what the shipping would be without making an account. But I imagine if I bought 3 of them to make a kilogram with the shipping it'd probably end up somewhere around $75 or $80.

Shipping was definitely what killed it for me.

Their merch site wont let me go to the checkout without logging in now, but I really don't think they liked the idea of international shipping from the store because last I looked they wanted $45 shipping for a $20 shirt. During the height of the pandemic shipping was $75 for the same shirt.

Barrell Whiskey is one of my favorite whiskeys but it is priceeeeey! $80-100-definitely a splurge. But yummy. Just grabbed Barrell Whiskey Infinite Barrell Project Cask Strength 2021 -125 proof...no wonder I woke with a headache today. about $60-must have been on sale as it's about $30 less than most Barrell offerings I've seen. This one is interesting as it's a blend of whiskey's from different barrels. Each bottling date is different. "After we remove a portion of the infinite barrel to bottle we replace it with a mature whiskey. The result is an ever changing increasingly cask strength whiskey". A little goes a long way. 

• 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Huh, never seen this one... what is it?

Currently drinking some mead my dad made. No complaints. :)

It's part of their bottle-shop series, which is them doing different types of weird beers. They have it labeled as a strong ale, but it's barrel-aged with a bit of vanilla, cherry, and orange to it. They basically tried to make a highball flavored beer, and actually got pretty close...it's very sweet though. Wouldn't do more than one.

EDIT: Looks like the most recent one is Mango Magnifico. Some kind of high ABV fruit beer with  habanero added in