What are you drinking?

ProfessorBoozenthrash

10 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Yeah yeah quarantine doesn’t end until 11:59 pm on the day you get your text from SA health to say your isolation period what is up. Darren might that might not necessarily be seven days after you return the positive test it could be 10 days because of issues with the system which me and your report isn’t always processed on the day that you actually let them know you’ve tested positive we are very backwards in South Australia when it comes to this 

That seems more in line with what my relos in Perth had to do. As of this week, I think, Victoria moves to even less masks, less or no vax mandates and one of the changes I heard was that covid positive people can do things like drive kids to school or family to work providing they don't get out of the car for the entire trip.

8 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

I couldn't have coffee for a couple months after Covid. I couldn't really taste it and it made me feel weird. I guess I went through caffeine withdrawal while I was sick enough not to notice, and I could have kicked the habit then, but life is better with coffee.

I could easily give up coffee. I like it and I drink a few a day but I don't miss it, I don't have withdrawals if I don't have it and I forget to buy it if my wife doesn't tell me too. I know guys who used to spend their entire night on the road with a thermos of coffee always ready and they'd convince themselves they needed it to stay awake. I've never had that issue, it never worked that way for me so I never really got to a point where my body craves it. I think if I drank enough to call it a habit I'd probably stop drinking it.

Life is definitely better with coffee, especially in winter. Killer see I do worry that state governments are becoming complacent when it comes to the pandemic, I know we’ve got to get back to some sort of life as normal but particularly when we know the virus spreads more easily in cold weather I think mask mandates should be kept in place. 

7 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Between coffee and black metal I don't know which one I would begrudingly agree to give up gun to head. They're both essential. I've just finished my "morning" coffee here at 2pm after an epic game of Uno with the kid and yeah I don't think I'd want to live my life without coffee.

Two of my best friends are not coffee drinkers at all and that perplexes me when I stop and think about it. One dude drinks a lot of Coke (he usually buys Pepsi or the cheaper RC Cola brand actually) which I can't stand, and the other one drinks sweet tea and/or Red Bulls. I could drink a sweet tea if I had to on a hot day but I haven't ever even tried a Red Bull which people seem to think is strange. No idea how they make it through life without coffee.

I have no desire to ever try Red Bull. Stuff smells completely gross. I got hooked on sweet tea for a while when I was a teenager in the South, doing restaurant work, but the sugar intake really fucked with me. Tea in general messes me up if I have it on an empty stomach; I like it but I can do without it. Coffee is an integral part of my life and I just feel better and more like myself when I have it daily. As long as I don't overdo it, there's no downside. I've given it up for a few months here and there before, but never liked being off it - never got that feeling people would talk about of "having more energy" or noticed any beneficial change in my sleep habits, just missed it being a part of my mornings. When I had Covid, it was a different story, I really felt like my body couldn't handle it for a while. Hated that. Black metal, well, it isn't quite as important as coffee for me, but wouldn't want to go without it for too long.

5 hours ago, KillaKukumba said:

I could easily give up coffee. I like it and I drink a few a day but I don't miss it, I don't have withdrawals if I don't have it and I forget to buy it if my wife doesn't tell me too. I know guys who used to spend their entire night on the road with a thermos of coffee always ready and they'd convince themselves they needed it to stay awake. I've never had that issue, it never worked that way for me so I never really got to a point where my body craves it. I think if I drank enough to call it a habit I'd probably stop drinking it.

Isn't it a habit if you drink it a few times a day? I'm definitely "addicted" to caffeine, so I'll get headaches for a few days if I stop, but it's also a morning-only thing for me - very rarely will I have any coffee or tea in the afternoon. Afternoon caffeine helps when I feel a migraine coming on (another post-Covid addition to my life) but no real benefit otherwise. And man, staying awake at night is the last thing I want to do anymore.

I don’t think I could give up coffee or black metal, which genuinely surprises me considering young oblivion hated anything with harsh vocals in it. As for Red Bull I’ve had it exactly once in my life back when I was still studying law and my uni decided that schedule a four hour exam to start at 6 pm and another one to start 7 am the next day when I lived an hour and a half away from the campus, coffee just wasn’t enough to keep me awake for the morning exam considering at that point I’ve been awake for about 30 something hours 

My dad loves his coffee. Hell, I remember eating breakfast on family trips and having to wait for him to finish his 2nd or 3rd refill before we could head out from a restaurant. Never picked up a taste for myself...hated it when I was younger, and while I can tolerate it now, definitely not my thing.

Soda I've moved away from in recent years, started drinking those flavored sparkling waters (not the seltzer kind, that shit tastes like ass) instead. Not sure if they're really any better for you, but they can't be worse.

I've had more Monster energy drink than Redbull, and that's actually not too bad...just very sweet. A lot of college kids seem to mainline it to get through school. Only done Redbull a couple of times, usually mixed into a Gatorade to help me wake up. Again, not exactly terrible, but I remember it being very sweet as well. They do give you a boost of energy though.

Couldn't give up black metal if I tried

I just don't drink any kind of commercially made soft drinks, they're all too sweet for me to some degree. Water, coffee, beer, whiskey, milk, that's about all the beverages I have in my rotation. Once in a blue moon I might have a cup of tea, usually in the winter or if I have a cold with a cough. I've never tried any of these so called "energy drinks" that seem to be so popular these days, I have enough energy even on my typical 3 or 4 hours of sleep. I've never used drinks to wake myself up, I find that just being upright moving around and doing stuff wakes me up. Gatorade is nasty, I can't believe anyone would like that shit.

As far as giving up black metal vs coffee that was just some silly hyperbole on my part earlier today. Gun to head I wouldn't have to think too long and hard before saying farewell to my one cup of coffee each day, even though I do so love that one exquisitely delicious and satisfying cup. I've given up smoking after 28 years and given up my nightly pint of Hagen Daz which I thought I'd never be able to do so coffe would be no different. Black metal (or let's say extreme metal) is far more crucial to my continued existence, I mainline that shit 24/7. Except on days like today when I listened to some other stuff that wasn't so extreme. 

The Black Angels - Directions to See a Ghost

Jesus and Mary Chain - Psychocandy

Coffee and metal are best served black! Couldn't resist.

I am badly addicted to caffein and coffee as part of my essential morning routine. I was up to 2 pots a day at one point and had to dial it back. Now I am about half a pot in the morning then maybe an energy drink or pre-workout in the afternoon.

Red-bull is the OG Cadilac of energy drinks. There are a zillion imitators and wanna-be XTREME! products and I have probably tried them all at some point. But Red Bull is the 'cleanest' and best. Runners up are Celsius and maybe Rip-its. Worst include the super popular: Rockstar, Monster and Bang. Although I do like the Monstar Ice Tea and non-carbonated offerings. Zero sugar or low-carb of course applies to all of these. I very rarely drink sodas and try to avoid even sugar free as those sweeteners are probably just as bad for you. 

I’m wary of any drink which contains almost triple your daily recommended dose of caffeine so that rules out energy drinks for me. Gatorade, Powerade, and similar electrolyte drink enough for sure but also necessary at least they work when I was serious about my cycling coffee I’ll have at least two a day in winter more often than not three, can’t do hot chocolate is too sweet for me.

5 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Life is definitely better with coffee, especially in winter. Killer see I do worry that state governments are becoming complacent when it comes to the pandemic, I know we’ve got to get back to some sort of life as normal but particularly when we know the virus spreads more easily in cold weather I think mask mandates should be kept in place. 

I can go both ways on those covid rules depending on my mood. It does seem pretty silly that a covid positive person can drive their family around and their family only has to wear a mask inside buildings. It also seems silly that until this week we could go mask free inside a shopping centre but not inside an airport terminal. But then I see 7 days iso vs 10 days iso and wonder just what the difference really is. Or I see a family friend testing positive to covid during a hospital stay, negative when they let her out 7 days later, positive 4 days after that when an ambo was called to take her back to hospital and all the time this women is 78 with only 15% of her heart working (medical diagnosed) and she didn't even have symptoms.

3 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Isn't it a habit if you drink it a few times a day? I'm definitely "addicted" to caffeine, so I'll get headaches for a few days if I stop, but it's also a morning-only thing for me - very rarely will I have any coffee or tea in the afternoon. Afternoon caffeine helps when I feel a migraine coming on (another post-Covid addition to my life) but no real benefit otherwise. And man, staying awake at night is the last thing I want to do anymore.

I suppose if you really want to define something a person does a few times a day as  a habit then you can, but is having a piss a habit? Is breathing a habit? I don't see it as a habit because I don't drink coffee, or any beverage out of habit. Part of that could be that it's never done anything for me, there is no high, no extra awake/alertness, and other things people might suggest coffee does for them. I used to drink beer before playing indoor cricket. I used to light a smoke whenever I opened a can of beer. I used to smoke to stay awake on the road. Those things were habit forming addictions, but for me aren't the same as having a few coffees a day. It's nearly dinner time here and I've had one coffee all day, for me to consider it a habit I think I'd need more than one.

The two words don't have to be connected. I don't drink coffee, or any other drink routinely. I don't have one at 3 o'clock every day, or when I wake up, or with dinner. I might have one at those times but I don't always. Therefore I don't see it as a habit or an addiction. The closest thing I have to a routinely consumed beverage is a litre of water when I get off the bike.

I had to chuck half a slab of beer out yesterday. They'd been sitting there for nearly 18 months and were in a place I wanted to place my batteries from the solar panels. I did think about putting them in the fridge, but then I remembered why they'd been sitting there for so long. I think my beer days are over now too.

Man Kuke, you're a wet blanket today. Have a cup of coffee or something. :) I know I've said it before, but I used to brew a bit with friends and my dad brewed for about ten years. There's a lot for me to appreciate about beer without getting drunk. I have lots of good memories and quite a lot of interest in the different flavors of various styles. I also have weeks or months when I'm not too interested in beer, but considering that it's Father's Day afternoon here and our first day of summer is tomorrow, I'm in the mood for a nice cold pilsner. I know you're in the depths of antipodean midwinter, and your Father's Day isn't till September, so I guess I don't expect you to relate.

I'm getting old and boring, I might have a coffee later though :)

I still like whiskey and bourbon, but when it comes to refreshment I tend to reach for a ginger beer these days. Whiskey and bourbon are pretty much a Friday night or Saturday night drink while the wife and I watch tv, but it's not an every weekend thing.

My kids often buy me whiskey or bourbon for, birthdays, Fathers day and Christmas which is good because all three are spread out nicely through the year, (May, Sept, Dec) which means I almost don't even need to buy my own alcohol these days.

Range is a big issue here too. I don't generally look at beer but they really only have 10, maybe as many as 15 different whiskeys in stock. Occasionally a few of the brands change around but generally it's the same stuff time and time again. Online ordering is of course possible but delivery costs are often ridiculous.

I love a good cold beer or two-mostly pale ales and IPAs. After exertion and when it's not, nothing beats a cold one in my book. I like it with food, especially spicy food. Of course, I like me some bourbon as well  but it's a totally different experience as it brings heat.