What are you drinking?

ProfessorBoozenthrash

A few years ago I decided I was gonna learn to make Old Fashioneds so I bought some bitters. But my OCD got the better of me with the imprecise nature of the recipe. How much is a dash? Am I dashing too much, am I not dashing enough? Not buying sugar cubes when I have perfectly good raw sugar here I hardly ever use. Just gonna be muddling it anyway and smashing it all up. Then I worried was my muddling technique proper, am I doing this right? Not like I had any previous muddling experience or anything. And did I really need to buy oranges just for the silly garnish? Then I tasted my concoction and thought nah, I liked the bourbon better straight or with a single ice cube. So now I'm the proud owner of two bottles of bitters, some Angostura and some chocolate one I read about. They now live in the cupboard and will likely never again see the light of day until I sell this house at which time I'll unceremoniously pitch them into the bin.

Glenfiddich straight. The one drink I know won't make me feel hung over without the feeling good part first. I don't want to be drinking alcohol, but it seems like my mushroom hunting grounds are a another 5 weeks off of going off and I've been straight for a good 5 months which is just about too long.

Glenfiddch vinyl night. Hank Williams Jr - (can't remember)/ Sonic Youth - Dirty/ Some spanish black metal band I can't remeber/ David Allen Coe - can't remeber - ... Then I was thinking actually the first time I heard David Allen was with Dimebag Darrell on a metal album... that is fucked up, how long ago did I listen to that? I don't have that on vinyl so that's the end of vinyl. NP/ Rebel Meets Rebel - Rebel Meets Rebel.

I remember now, it was Teitanblood - The Baneful Choir. Glenfidich is too fucken sweet. Tastes like fucken schnaps. I don't think I can take anything that I can afford from a bottle shop. Not that I can afford Glenfidich. If I have to drink alcohol, I'm gonna get a still and buy cheap vodka and distill that, then I'll have something drinkable.

Rebel Meets Rebel is an excellent mix with alcohol.

Having been married to a Kiwi and having made the trans-Pacific trip several times I'm well aware that NZ is a modern first world country. And I do obviously realize that the internet exists. So I really don't know why I would be so surprised that Kiwis are listening to American country music artists like Hank Jr and David Allen Coe. But I am.

6 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Having been married to a Kiwi and having made the trans-Pacific trip several times I'm well aware that NZ is a modern first world country. And I do obviously realize that the internet exists. So I really don't know why I would be so surprised that Kiwis are listening to American country music artists like Hank Jr and David Allen Coe. But I am.

Not being allowed to listen to  heavy metal as a child, I would randomly buy tapes that I hated, but I was impressed by a Hank Williams compilation and never stopped listening. Then Hank 3 dropped allot of names on his songs, from where I picked up David Allen Coe and George Jones. If I had been allowed to buy AC/DC tapes I wouldn't have this problem today. 

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Natassja said:

I've kinda knocked alcohol on the head recently. Feel better for it like.

I did this at start of lockdown which proved sensible given how long that went on for.  Crept back in to old ways of late so currently cutting back (barring last night in Alcoholics Associated thread).  My biggest vice easily (after murder of course - just can't stop killing people).

39 minutes ago, MacabreEternal said:

I did this at start of lockdown which proved sensible given how long that went on for.  Crept back in to old ways of late so currently cutting back (barring last night in Alcoholics Associated thread).  My biggest vice easily (after murder of course - just can't stop killing people).

Yeh I'm definitely better not drinking alcohol. Was making my anxiety loads worse. Why does it do that you think? My vice has always been chocolate 😂 not livers surprisingly..! 

18 minutes ago, Natassja said:

Yeh I'm definitely better not drinking alcohol. Was making my anxiety loads worse. Why does it do that you think? My vice has always been chocolate 😂 not livers surprisingly..! 

I'm mostly better off without it too. I started being able to have a little bit of beer or wine with dinner again recently, and that's great, but I don't want it to become a daily thing again. Still can't handle liquor, I tried a little bit of whiskey the other night and instantly started feeling like garbage. 

I guess you and I aren't allowed to post in the Alcoholics thread anymore :(

15 minutes ago, Natassja said:

I had a bout of anxiety (first in years) earlier on this year and figured out that the alcohol was making it worse as I was also then lay awake when the booze usually helped me get off.  Also, noticed that on the odd occasion were I got drunk the usually friendly drunk wasn't so friendly anymore and turned onto a very negative mindset.  Won't ever cut it out altogether but definitely reviewed its place and will look to keep it for only special occasions (like Fridays - only kiddin').

24 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

I'm mostly better off without it too. I started being able to have a little bit of beer or wine with dinner again recently, and that's great, but I don't want it to become a daily thing again. Still can't handle liquor, I tried a little bit of whiskey the other night and instantly started feeling like garbage. 

I guess you and I aren't allowed to post in the Alcoholics thread anymore :(

It's ok, we can start a Straight Edge thread :P

23 minutes ago, MacabreEternal said:

I had a bout of anxiety (first in years) earlier on this year and figured out that the alcohol was making it worse as I was also then lay awake when the booze usually helped me get off.  Also, noticed that on the odd occasion were I got drunk the usually friendly drunk wasn't so friendly anymore and turned onto a very negative mindset.  Won't ever cut it out altogether but definitely reviewed its place and will look to keep it for only special occasions (like Fridays - only kiddin').

Yeh ..depression was rearing it's ugly head with me. Don't need no more of that.

1 hour ago, Natassja said:

Yeah, I could give up drinking anytime (unless I'm at a metal festival with the guys and then all bets are off) as I generally only have 1 or occasionally 2, not enough to get me drunk or have it alter my behavior. I think sorta like Vin's golden dragon kimono having a whiskey to sip on in the evenings just makes me feel like an adult and helps put me in the mood to relax.

But dark chocolate is a different story. I'm hopelessly addicted, I just can't stay away from it no matter what I do, I love it too much. I've successfully given up ice cream and cookies and all kinds of garbage food loaded with sugar over the last 2 years, but I can't stop nibbling on the luscious decadent dark chocolate late at night, usually with almonds. I rationalize that it supposedly has some type of minor health benefits and it goes quite nicely with the whiskey in the evenings. If society ever breaks down completely and we enter a post-apocalyptic dystopian phase and they stop making dark chocolate I'm gonna have a problem when my stockpile runs out. I wonder what the withdrawl symptoms might be like? 

2 hours ago, Natassja said:

Weeell, alcohol is basically a toxin that we as a society has decided is OK to ingest regularly. I mean, there's a reason you get hungover the day after. The liver is struggling to keep up, trying to purify the toxins. From what I've read it seems that alcohol gives you a dopamine rush and makes you feel relaxed. When the effect vanishes (i.e. sober up) you experience withdrawl basically. I'm guessing that if you have a predisposition to anxiety or depression prior, alcohol might make it even worse.

MRI scans of 25 000 people found that there's not really a "safe" amount of drinking. Even the "1 glass a day" recommendation decreased brain grey matter.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/may/18/any-amount-of-alcohol-consumption-harmful-to-the-brain-finds-study

In fact alcohol is considered a hard drug in some countries because of its addictive character. Your point that it is socially accepted is so true, so we don't bother too much but there is much drama all over the place because of alcohol. A friend of us is addicted for many years and fell over in the bathroom few months ago and bashed his head on the bathroom sink. This resulted in him getting into coma and right now he is just above vegetative state with very low expectations that he will ever be better. Main cause is years of alcohol abuse leading to this result. I have been drinking heavily in my youth and consistent for the years after. Like 2-3 glasses of wine or some whiskey/ brandy. Not getting pissed anymore. I think I can go without alcohol which is true if it isn't available, like when I am at work for weeks without any alcohol I am good. If there is any within grabbing distance I for sure pour me a glass of one or the other. 

https://americanaddictioncenters.org/adult-addiction-treatment-programs/most-addictive

Dangerous goods.

48 minutes ago, Sheol said:

Weeell, alcohol is basically a toxin that we as a society has decided is OK to ingest regularly. I mean, there's a reason you get hungover the day after. The liver is struggling to keep up, trying to purify the toxins. From what I've read it seems that alcohol gives you a dopamine rush and makes you feel relaxed. When the effect vanishes (i.e. sober up) you experience withdrawl basically. I'm guessing that if you have a predisposition to anxiety or depression prior, alcohol might make it even worse.

MRI scans of 25 000 people found that there's not really a "safe" amount of drinking. Even the "1 glass a day" recommendation decreased brain grey matter.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/may/18/any-amount-of-alcohol-consumption-harmful-to-the-brain-finds-study

3 minutes ago, JohanV said:

In fact alcohol is considered a hard drug in some countries because of its addictive character. Your point that it is socially accepted is so true, so we don't bother too much but there is much drama all over the place because of alcohol. A friend of us is addicted for many years and fell over in the bathroom few months ago and bashed his head on the bathroom sink. This resulted in him getting into coma and right now he is just above vegetative state with very low expectations that he will ever be better. Main cause is years of alcohol abuse leading to this result. I have been drinking heavily in my youth and consistent for the years after. Like 2-3 glasses of wine or some whiskey/ brandy. Not getting pissed anymore. I think I can go without alcohol which is true if it isn't available, like when I am at work for weeks without any alcohol I am good. If there is any within grabbing distance I for sure pour me a glass of one or the other. 

https://americanaddictioncenters.org/adult-addiction-treatment-programs/most-addictive

Dangerous goods.

You both make good points. The increased cancer risk alone is enough for me to want to stay away from it. I really do miss a drink with dinner or when I'm celebrating with friends and family, though. It seems like it's easier for me to be either on or off than it is to be a truly moderate and occasional drinker, but I'm going to try. 

1 hour ago, FatherAlabaster said:

It seems like it's easier for me to be either on or off than it is to be a truly moderate and occasional drinker, but I'm going to try. 

That's what I have with smoking. I can't have one. It's all or nothing. Now I am off smoking for almost 3 years after I was diagnosed and treated and cured for cancer. That made me stop smoking alright!

5 minutes ago, JohanV said:

That's what I have with smoking. I can't have one. It's all or nothing. Now I am off smoking for almost 3 years after I was diagnosed and treated and cured for cancer. That made me stop smoking alright!

Damn that's crazy Johan. Happy to hear it was just a scare.

I am right there with you. Nicotine is my kryptonite. Impossible to have one smoke or one chew. But I am pretty disciplined realizing when I have to quit cold turkey and gut it out. I do fall off the wagon for a few weeks maybe once or twice a year, but then I wizen up and put the kabosh on it.

Drinking and other drugs I can take em' or leave em', thankfully. I am a lot better at buying Scotch than drinking it. One or 2 drinks a week is what I average, but easily go weeks or months without and don't miss it. Of course as a younger man I would binge drink often and such, but I will say that with the exception of smoking and some poor choices involving women I could always handle my booze without acting like a complete ass. I can hold my booze, or drugs or what have you, thankfully. 

10 minutes ago, JohanV said:

Damn, I bet it did! Glad you're doing ok, hope you can stay healthy. Cancer is fucking scary and so destructive. I quit smoking in my early 20s, and I used to occasionally go back to it if I wanted to have a cigar or something, but that was another thing that was hard to moderate. It's been quite a few years since I had any tobacco now and I don't miss it at all.