Do you think Djent is an actual genre?

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7.4.2017. at 5:11 PM, JudgeDread said:

i think it was like a type of guitar "sound" and now its just developed into a genre, meshuggah were doing that guitar sound, but they are not what people call "a djent band"

problem with bands you associate with "djent" periphery, monuments etc, all sound to similar i think 

I mostly agree with this, I'd only add that this term could be a style of playing and aestethic, playing polyrhytmic patterns on mostly just one or few notes on guitar that has seven or more strings in that very low tuned way.

• 5 months later...

New guy here, I think djent was actually a progression of 90s prog rock, some of the more aggressive bands of the 2000s, and a bit of ADD thrown in. I love the talent that goes into some of these bands, but honestly the constant changes, vocals that just don't seem to fit, and all the guitars with a massive mid spike at 1.6kHz is really just not my thing, though I absolutely respect their abilities and musical talent! Especially Tosin Abasi.

I think it's a subgenre of prog, in its purest form, that borrows a lot from hardcore. It's got its own tropes and approaches to other genre tropes. That said, it seems more a production technique than anything else. Evidence being that bands like Novallo, Shattered Skies, Voyager and even Orden Ogan have used said elements but incorporated them with their own style.

all metal bands use the djent thing...it is a staple sound started by Sabbath...specifically in Symptom of the Universe. To me, most current "DJent" bands are just metalcore....which I try to avoid personally...

Meshuggah was always prog-or tech death metal...probably one of the first in that genre...but that is to me....

• 2 months later...

Correct me if I'm wrong I think Misha Mansoor (Periphery) coined the name Djent to describe a guitar tone he was trying to achieve.

As with all language words gain and lose meaning but as it stands I think Djent is a genre. When people say Djent I think of bands like Periphery, Monuments, Sikth and Meshuggah. Regardless of the origin of the word it seems to have stuck with the metal community. At least for now.

Is it a stand alone genre? Fuck no it isn't. Djent is a variant of progressive metal. The term acts in much the same way as funeral doom. It informs you of a particular style with key characteristics shared by bands playing it. I happen to find djent very boring. Have we really reached a point where everything needs to be a fucking genre?

• 10 months later...

not really i think Djent had similar case with Slam.still debatable Too.are slam are genre or not?. but i think yes but not stand alone sub-genre i think.because the band can be called as djent just because they music containing palm muting play style but with leave the treble sounding.and i didn't found another main characteristics djent's music. just my opinion 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...