Sub forums in Promotions

I'd disagree with this.  As much as I appreciate there is a commercial interest in the forum I firmly believe we should be establishing a community here, not signposting advertising (I resisted using the word "Spam").  Just my opinion and for the record I have no influence over what happens here. 

I think it might be cool to have subgenre divisions in the band promo section, and cut down on some of the labyrinthine clutter elsewhere. We've talked with the admin about restructuring the forum, including the promo section, and actually planned it out in some detail, but it'll be a large undertaking.

Macabre is right, though. We're not a passive audience ripe for the right advertising scheme. We're a discussion group. Nearly all of the bands that promote here fail to recognize that, or make a passing nod to it at best, and so our promo section is a wasteland of low-involvement members looking for some recognition without becoming a part of the community.

As a musician, I'm happy to have gained a few fans and sold or traded some of my own music to other members during my time here, but it happened organically and it took awhile. It also wasn't my primary goal when I joined. People get interested in things at their own pace. Advertising yourself here isn't worth it unless you're willing to make yourself a part of the forum. If you want clicks and likes and sales, there are other platforms that are much better suited.

There is also a fan interest, and things in the promotions are a  jumbling of things. Say you want to just see show announcements on an unplanned weekend off. You could spend so much time sorting through promotions you dont get to a live show. The show could have been in driving distance but its over or half way when you find it. The community needs a place where new and undiscovered cream can rise to the top. A mixed promotions channel rather thwarts that however pure or democratizing for all, it's intention.

You wont find metal shows in the local papers here. (the Mid-South US)

When I want to hear new band and not sort through show announcements, or someone selling T shirts, sub categories would help out a lot.

There should be a just starting bands section. For when you do have time to hear some of the almost ready put themselves out there.

If we dont like commercial we have to replace some of its functions. Like replacing any middle man, you need to replace the function yourselves. Metal itself needs some sifting, or sorting of the channel. Its an important function. Without such, discovery of good new stuff is cluttered with well meaning bands putting out early sloppy efforts a grade below booking demo, and calling it a CD debut. This is killing Metal, and will empty a party. Commercial interest is low at least in the U.S. and sorting the not ready bands from the listenable is time consuming to the Nth. There has be a way to sort it for effective use of discovery time.

I don't think anyone here has the time or desire to curate every single band, solo project, fledgling demo, and playthrough video people post here. Not to mention the insanely high proportion of chaff to wheat. We're not that kind of group. If you're inspired to dig through the promo section looking for the greatest new thing nobody's heard of yet, more power to you, but like on any forum, you'll have to do the digging yourself. A little more organization would be cool, and as I said, it's been discussed. It's up to the admin whether or not to actually implement it.

If you want curated metal, there are plenty of bloggers who offer reviews and recommendations, on personal websites and Facebook pages and through some of the more well-known metal blog sites. I follow No Clean Singing, and peek at Metal Injection and Invisible Oranges, especially certain reviewers, and when I was on FB I got great recs from Starkweather and Mathcore Index; I also spend a fair amount of time on Youtube.  I discuss the stuff I like here, in our discussion threads, and everybody else does the same with the bands they're into, and occasionally we'll collate some of that into posts in our recommendation threads. So it goes.

As far as show indexes go, again, it would be cool, and it's something the admin has proposed but hasn't yet implemented. I've never had a hard time finding out about shows online. Resources for that already exist. Our membership is scattered across the globe, so it's not like we're all going to be attending gigs together. Our show discussions often take the form of impromptu reviews.

You're welcome to join in our discussion threads, introduce yourself, share your own taste in music, and get to know us a bit. That's kind of the whole point, after all.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join Metal Forum

joinus-home.jpg

• Our picks

• Whichever tier of thrash metal you consigned Sacred Reich back in the 80's/90's they still had their moments.  "Ignorance" & "Surf Nicaragura" did a great job of establishing the band, whereas "The American Way" just got a little to comfortable and accessible (the title track grates nowadays) for my ears.  A couple more records better left forgotten about and then nothing for twenty three years.  2019 alone has now seen three releases from Phil Rind and co.  A live EP, a split EP with Iron Reagan and now a full length.

Notable addition to the ranks for the current throng of releases is former Machine Head sticksman, Dave McClean.  Love or hate Machine Head, McClean is a more than capable drummer and his presence here is felt from the off with the opening and title track kicking things off with some real gusto.  'Divide & Conquer' and 'Salvation' muddle along nicely, never quite reaching any quality that would make my balls tingle but comfortable enough.  The looming build to 'Manifest Reality' delivers a real punch when the song starts proper.  Frenzied riffs and drums with shots of lead work to hold the interest.

There's a problem already though (I know, I am such a fucking mood hoover).  I don't like Phil's vocals.  I never had if I am being honest.  The aggression to them seems a little forced even when they are at their best on tracks like 'Manifest Reality'.  When he tries to sing it just feels weak though ('Salvation') and tracks lose real punch.  Give him a riffy number such as 'Killing Machine' and he is fine with the Reich engine (probably a poor choice of phrase) up in sixth gear.  For every thrashy riff there's a fair share of rock edged, local bar act rhythm aplenty too.

Let's not poo-poo proceedings though, because overall I actually enjoy "Awakening".  It is stacked full of catchy riffs that are sticky on the old ears.  Whilst not as raw as perhaps the - brilliant - artwork suggests with its black and white, tattoo flash sheet style design it is enjoyable enough.  Yes, 'Death Valley' & 'Something to Believe' have no place here, saved only by Arnett and Radziwill's lead work but 'Revolution' is a fucking 80's thrash heyday throwback to the extent that if you turn the TV on during it you might catch a new episode of Cheers!

3/5
      • Reputation Points

• 10 replies
    • I
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/52-vltimas-something-wicked-marches-in/
      • Reputation Points

• 3 replies

• https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/48-candlemass-the-door-to-doom/
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • Full length number 19 from overkill certainly makes a splash in the energy stakes, I mean there's some modern thrash bands that are a good two decades younger than Overkill who can only hope to achieve the levels of spunk that New Jersey's finest produce here.  That in itself is an achievement, for a band of Overkill's stature and reputation to be able to still sound relevant four decades into their career is no mean feat.  Even in the albums weaker moments it never gets redundant and the energy levels remain high.  There's a real sense of a band in a state of some renewed vigour, helped in no small part by the addition of Jason Bittner on drums.  The former Flotsam & Jetsam skinsman is nothing short of superb throughout "The Wings of War" and seems to have squeezed a little extra out of the rest of his peers.

The album kicks of with a great build to opening track "Last Man Standing" and for the first 4 tracks of the album the Overkill crew stomp, bash and groove their way to a solid level of consistency.  The lead work is of particular note and Blitz sounds as sneery and scathing as ever.  The album is well produced and mixed too with all parts of the thrash machine audible as the five piece hammer away at your skull with the usual blend of chugging riffs and infectious anthems.  

There are weak moments as mentioned but they are more a victim of how good the strong tracks are.  In it's own right "Distortion" is a solid enough - if not slightly varied a journey from the last offering - but it just doesn't stand up well against a "Bat Shit Crazy" or a "Head of a Pin".  As the album draws to a close you get the increasing impression that the last few tracks are rescued really by some great solos and stomping skin work which is a shame because trimming of a couple of tracks may have made this less obvious. 

4/5
      • Reputation Points

• 4 replies