When Did You First Get Into Metal?

916kaden

Mine were Hellbilly Deluxe and Antichrist Superstar (on cassette). I kinda liked them at the time, but I guess it wasn't really what I was looking for. Sometime in '99 I had some birthday money that I took to Disc Jockey and picked up the Black Album, Peace Sells... and Bigger Than the Devil by S.O.D. I'd only heard of Metallica and Megadeth by then but not S.O.D. I bought that one just because it looked cool and I thought the song titles were great; "Kill the Assholes," "Free Dirty Needles". I remember coming home with them and listening to them all several times in a row like it was the greatest thing. I ended up getting rid of Hellbilly Deluxe and and I lost Antichrist Superstar somewhere, The Black Album got stolen from me. Don't miss them really, but I still have the other two. I remember my Mom was kind of bummed out when I showed her what I bought, but I think it was just because I spent all of my money on CDs. She listened to Hendrix, The Rolling Stones, Alice Cooper, AC/DC, Edgar Winter, etc. growing up and my grandparents gave her shit over it, so she didn't really care what I listened to. Still, she did say something like "I don't see why you'd want to spend all your money on all that depressing, noisy music. You better not start blasting that shit to where I can hear it." lol It's like she knew what was coming. It wasn't long after that when I got into Slayer, Motorhead and Pantera, then Cannibal Corpse and so on and then I was mail-ordering in metal stuff and hitting up used record stores all the time.

On 02/04/2017 at 0:05 PM, morbidspectre said:

Mine were Hellbilly Deluxe and Antichrist Superstar (on cassette). I kinda liked them at the time, 

I've got an 'Antichrist Superstar' story. 

Back in 1997 when I was in my final year of high school my friends and I ended up at a girl from school's house, and one thing led to another and I ended up on the floor of her living room making out with this other girl who happened to be the hottest girl in school, with 'Antichrist Superstar' playing on the stereo.

Man she was hot. She had a real thing for me too for which I was very grateful. I was with her quite a bit but this time stays in my memory a lot more due to context I guess. 

So while I don't love the album per se I still have fond memories of it to this day. Thanks Marilyn Manson. 

On 1/4/2017 at 11:17 PM, Requiem said:

Good point actually about Poison. I did have 'Open Up and Say Ahhh' when it came out in 88. So I would have been 8 years old which probably makes it my first rock album. 

Good album. I bought my third copy of it in Hollywood at Amoeba.

Previously I only had the censored first press Capitol CD and the uncensored Capitol Vynil. Now I also bought an uncensored Capitol CD first press copy. Pretty cool.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've always liked hard rock but the band that was sort of my gateway band was Foreground Eclipse. I really enjoyed their stuff so I started looking for music similar and looked into more metal music and that's how I got more into it. On another note if anyone has the time to go out of their way to listen to them would you tell me what subgenre they'd be considered? I still have no idea how to identify subgenres in metal.

2 hours ago, guccimanefreed said:

I've always liked hard rock but the band that was sort of my gateway band was Foreground Eclipse. I really enjoyed their stuff so I started looking for music similar and looked into more metal music and that's how I got more into it. On another note if anyone has the time to go out of their way to listen to them would you tell me what subgenre they'd be considered? I still have no idea how to identify subgenres in metal.

I'd probably say they're metalcore/alternative metal. I only listened to one song though so I could be wildly incorrect.

• 2 weeks later...

Ride the lightning was for sure the record that defined my taste in music. I think I was 11-12 when a friend of mine bought that album. We'd listen to it over and over again, and pretend to have concerts in his room. It really blew open my mind, still to this day that record has a special place within me. And then Master of puppets... I was hooked.

• 1 month later...

My first metal album (discounting the glam stuff that was the gateway) was "...and Justice for All", which I copied onto tape in 1989. A friend and I got into metal at the same time, through the same album, and although we shared the same taste for a while, he started listening to cheesier stuff, while I went headlong into darker territory. 

Ultimate Sin is an album I rediscovered recently - Jake E Lee at his best IMO.
I agree. "Bark at the Moon" was a Great album but at times felt like Jake trying to say "I am as good as Randy". Ultimate was more refined and very well written. His riffs were some of the best of the time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, audiophile said:

I agree. "Bark at the Moon" was a Great album but at times felt like Jake trying to say "I am as good as Randy". Ultimate was more refined and very well written. His riffs were some of the best of the time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yep, he wrote most of it without Osbourne present too.  Osbourne just came out of rehab, heard the stuff and went "yeah, we'll have all this".

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/1/2015 at 2:20 AM, jtb_brah said:

Hey guys, this is my first post here, but I've been lurking for a while now. Never posted before cause I never really had anything to say honestly. Metal hasn't always been my cup of tea, but since I started playing guitar around 7 or so months ago, my taste has gotten increasingly heavier. Before I played guitar, I had a friend that was what most people would consider a metalhead. He liked Metallica especially, but a little of all the the Big Four. He turned me onto metal, and Metallica has been one of my favorite bands ever since. I have a pretty eclectic music taste, but I still just could not get into the heavy stuff. For the past few months I have listened to basically nothing but Metallica and Slayer. I really liked it (more so than before), even though I used to hate Slayer. I kept searching, found this forum, and in doing so found some pretty heavy stuff, at least by my standards. I listened to some Amon Amarth, and that was it. The growling doesn't bother me any more, and I can start to hear some subtlety in the music. Hell, I even like a few Anaal Nathrakh songs, and they used to make my ears bleed. Looking for more songs and genres now, although from what I've heard I think I favor death/melodic death over black, doom, etc. I'm still open to anything though. Since a lot of you guys are veteran metalheads, try to think of some of the songs that turned you onto metal, if you don't mind. Almost forgot, Feel free to share your metal breakthrough. If (like most people) you didn't always like the hard stuff, what got you into it? What was some of the gateway music you listened to?

I am what some would say is old school. Judas Priest,  Iron Maiden, Metallica, Kiss(hard rock), Megadeth, anthrax. However as I have gotten older I have been looking for new bands to listen to and add to my collection..

• 3 weeks later...

great stories to hear!!!

My defining moment: 1983(?). Sitting in my friends house, who was the only kid in a 10 mile radius whose family could afford cable tv. We were flipping through using the big new channel box , and came across a video by the band Asia...Heat of The Moment. This caught our eye and ears, so we stayed on the channel. After this video, another one came on with the coolest drumbeat I had ever heard....then, that riff. These dudes with long hair, a killer looking metal-light rigged stage set; a guy with a blue sparkly bass...then the main riff; fast, chugging...the crazy drummer with super fast hands...and then the lead singer witht he full studded leather arm band..."The White Man Came, across the sea...." It was the Run to The Hills video, coming on in my firs t5 minutes of watching a verryy young MtV. My freind and I were hooked. Metal it was for me.

My gateway bands were Styx and Kansas, and my ultimate most favorite band: Rush. I already had  decent mane of 70's era "hesher-hair" going, but this was it.  I was in. Later that week, we raided my other friends older brothers album/cassette collection: Ozzy, Sabbath; Deep Purple, BOC, Van Halen, Judas Priest; Motorhead; Budgie....

moment 2:

later on that fall, I was at home listening to the radio when another song moved me forever....the opening strains of rushing wind, chirping birds...and then a haunting e minor to C picked chord progression and a mournful whistle...my ears perked up..then, the most AWESOME voice I had ever heard: "All alone, we walked this morning, A Light mist in the air..." I was transfixed as the "New Iron Maiden" as the DJ called them played The Lady Wore Black...Queensryche. Next level achieved. My freinds and I went out that weekend and bought the ep. I spent all my time in class learnign how to draw the font on the cover, and learning the drum and bass parts

moment 3:

the next summer...summer of 84,  I was at Boy Scout summer camp. I had smuggled in my electronic pride and joy into camp - my sony Walkman cassette player - and was hanging with some friends from my troop, when some kids from another troop saw our Maiden and Ozzy shirts, and came up and said "you guys like metal? Listen to this"...he flipped me a tape and I put it in. This cool sounding acoustic guitar riff came on. I thought it might be a new Ozzy song....then cymbal roll/swell/crescendo into....the fastest, most evil, brutal sounding thing I had ever heard...ever.  The double bass melted my brain... I think I remember just giggling uncontrollably, and thrashing around the picnic table....Fight Fire With Fire by Metallica had upped the ante...the world of underground thrash, speed, hardcore punk etc had opened up, and I was head first down the slide!!!

There have been millions of other "indoctrinations", and metal has been the central core of my being since I can remember.  

first metal album - well more specifically, cassette - was Iron Maiden Number of the Beast. Purchased on a trip that also included Signals by Rush; Speak Of The Devil by Ozzy and Worlds Apart by Saga

On 10/30/2017 at 7:00 AM, MacabreEternal said:

Ultimate Sin is an album I rediscovered recently - Jake E Lee at his best IMO.

probably the most underrated Ozzy album for sure. It was also the last one I ever payed attention to. Once Jake left, I was bored....to me, Ozzy is Blizzard to Ultimate....

4 hours ago, xUpTheIronsx said:

first metal album - well more specifically, cassette - was Iron Maiden Number of the Beast. Purchased on a trip that also included Signals by Rush; Speak Of The Devil by Ozzy and Worlds Apart by Saga

probably the most underrated Ozzy album for sure. It was also the last one I ever payed attention to. Once Jake left, I was bored....to me, Ozzy is Blizzard to Ultimate....

'The Ultimate Sin' is a great album. In many ways I can see what you mean about things changing after this. Personally I love them all up to and including 'Ozzmosis' which I think would have made a great final album! 

But yeah, those first four Ozzy albums are priceless in my opinion. 

5 hours ago, xUpTheIronsx said:

great stories to hear!!!

My defining moment: 1983(?). Sitting in my friends house, who was the only kid in a 10 mile radius whose family could afford cable tv. We were flipping through using the big new channel box , and came across a video by the band Asia...Heat of The Moment. This caught our eye and ears, so we stayed on the channel. After this video, another one came on with the coolest drumbeat I had ever heard....then, that riff. These dudes with long hair, a killer looking metal-light rigged stage set; a guy with a blue sparkly bass...then the main riff; fast, chugging...the crazy drummer with super fast hands...and then the lead singer witht he full studded leather arm band..."The White Man Came, across the sea...." It was the Run to The Hills video, coming on in my firs t5 minutes of watching a verryy young MtV. My freind and I were hooked. Metal it was for me.

My gateway bands were Styx and Kansas, and my ultimate most favorite band: Rush. I already had  decent mane of 70's era "hesher-hair" going, but this was it.  I was in. Later that week, we raided my other friends older brothers album/cassette collection: Ozzy, Sabbath; Deep Purple, BOC, Van Halen, Judas Priest; Motorhead; Budgie....

moment 2:

later on that fall, I was at home listening to the radio when another song moved me forever....the opening strains of rushing wind, chirping birds...and then a haunting e minor to C picked chord progression and a mournful whistle...my ears perked up..then, the most AWESOME voice I had ever heard: "All alone, we walked this morning, A Light mist in the air..." I was transfixed as the "New Iron Maiden" as the DJ called them played The Lady Wore Black...Queensryche. Next level achieved. My freinds and I went out that weekend and bought the ep. I spent all my time in class learnign how to draw the font on the cover, and learning the drum and bass parts

moment 3:

the next summer...summer of 84,  I was at Boy Scout summer camp. I had smuggled in my electronic pride and joy into camp - my sony Walkman cassette player - and was hanging with some friends from my troop, when some kids from another troop saw our Maiden and Ozzy shirts, and came up and said "you guys like metal? Listen to this"...he flipped me a tape and I put it in. This cool sounding acoustic guitar riff came on. I thought it might be a new Ozzy song....then cymbal roll/swell/crescendo into....the fastest, most evil, brutal sounding thing I had ever heard...ever.  The double bass melted my brain... I think I remember just giggling uncontrollably, and thrashing around the picnic table....Fight Fire With Fire by Metallica had upped the ante...the world of underground thrash, speed, hardcore punk etc had opened up, and I was head first down the slide!!!

There have been millions of other "indoctrinations", and metal has been the central core of my being since I can remember.  

Awesome stories! I love this sort of thing. 

Boy Scout summer camp in 1984. I have images of 'Friday the 13th' style clothes, attitudes and behaviours. Lots of scenes of America on television hahaha. 

pretty much. The camp wasn't as creepy, but we looked the part, being a bunch of Midwestern middle class white kids...no girls at that camp though, but it was rough. Lots of great times playing the metal on our "snuck in" headsets. Also sitting around the picnic tables nerding out playing D&D and having  - what would have been considered cos-play now-a-days  - battles in the woods with sticks for swords and trash can lids for shields....