deathstorm

whats your first metal album

I got my first metal album from my brother. It's Metallica's "...And Justice For All" on CD.  I was maybe 7, and I had just gotten a CD player. It was so exciting. I listened to it over and over again. 

As for the first metal album that I bought on my own, it was actually two CDS that I had bought at the same time-- Morbid Angel's "Altars of Madness" and Cannibal Corpse's "Butchered At Birth". Thus began my love affair with death metal :)

8 hours ago, salmonellapancake said:

I got my first metal album from my brother. It's Metallica's "...And Justice For All" on CD.  I was maybe 7, and I had just gotten a CD player. It was so exciting. I listened to it over and over again. 

As for the first metal album that I bought on my own, it was actually two CDS that I had bought at the same time-- Morbid Angel's "Altars of Madness" and Cannibal Corpse's "Butchered At Birth". Thus began my love affair with death metal :)

Fuckin A!  What a great trio to start with!

Mine was Saxon "Power And The Glory" which i borrowed from my cousin (all of his collection i took for about 3 months) - was fucking entranced by that record sleeve and the big bold band logo and colours.  First record I ever bought was Obituary "Slowly We Rot" - spent even longer looking at that artwork.

First album I heard was 'Cowboys From Hell' by Pantera. Have to thank my cousin for that one. Don't remember exactly how we wound up listening to that though.

First metal album I bought was either Cowboys or Trendkill don't recall which.

Mine was Rust in Peace by Megadeth. I was just a kid when I bought it. I had a crush on the drummer in my brother's band and he always wore Megadeth t-shirts so I was trying to impress him. But I actually liked it and my love of metal grew from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did your efforts to impress him work?

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Mine was Rust in Peace by Megadeth. I was just a kid when I bought it. I had a crush on the drummer in my brother's band and he always wore Megadeth t-shirts so I was trying to impress him. But I actually liked it and my love of metal grew from there. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did your efforts to impress him work?

Nope : ( I guess he just saw me as the weird awkward little sister of a band member

Mine was Rust in Peace by Megadeth. I was just a kid when I bought it. I had a crush on the drummer in my brother's band and he always wore Megadeth t-shirts so I was trying to impress him. But I actually liked it and my love of metal grew from there. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did your efforts to impress him work?Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Nope : ( I guess he just saw me as the weird awkward little sister of a band member

I would have loved to have a girl try to impress me like that, but most of the girls I went to school with were Mormon, so that was never going to happen.

Nope : ( I guess he just saw me as the weird awkward little sister of a band member Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would have loved to have a girl try to impress me like that, but most of the girls I went to school with were Mormon, so that was never going to happen.

Try going to an 'all boy' school until you were 18.......

Nope : ( I guess he just saw me as the weird awkward little sister of a band member Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would have loved to have a girl try to impress me like that, but most of the girls I went to school with were Mormon, so that was never going to happen.Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Try going to an 'all boy' school until you were 18.......

Did they try to "impress" you? Lol.

On topic, I clearly remember that the first tape I bought with my "own" (allowance) money was GNR's "Appetite For Destruction", although I had one or two things including "RTL" given to me before that. Things moved pretty quickly, though, I was dubbing as many tapes as I could from friends, and once I started doing summer jobs, I bought a stereo and all the metal I could find.

Then I made a mistake: I sold a lot of albums when my tastes moved on to other styles. I wish I still had a lot of that, mostly early 90s DM. 

Some of my first ones were Scream Bloody Gore, South of Heaven, Iron Maiden, Killers, Seventh Son, Appetite for Destruction, a load of Black Flag and Damned stuff, other various punk stuff off my Uncle..

I did same FA, sold a lot of shit I wish I hadn't, kills me..

38 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:

I've hocked a few albums that I don't listen to anymore, but not much overall. I can't imagine getting back into these ones I let go of, but maybe I'll prove myself wrong in ten years...

My Lunar Strain/Subterranean CD might get the axe. Literally, I might hit it with an axe. :)

In general, though, I guess I've been buying music for about 25 years, and I've lost and regained interest in nearly everything I've owned, enough to make me realize that I just can't tell when the mood will strike. It's all worth keeping around if only for that. I can't imagine having the money to rebuild my collection. I'm really happy that my Swans CDs have survived various moves, thefts, and losses, at least...

Can't remember my first. 

Think I had a bunch of copied tapes to start off with.

I remember renting Among The Living from the library very early on, that could have been the first original tape I had in my possession.

And I have a very vivid memory of buying Rust In Peace on tape when it came out, guess that could have been the first one I actually bought.

When I was 11 (in 1991) I bought Blessed Are The Sick, and then proceeded to bury it in the back garden out of Catholic guilt. True story.