Speed/Thrash Recomendation

Fabulousdisaster88

Hello, I've been listening to thrash metal for a while now, I LOVE IT! It's been my favorite thing in recent years, I've started to drift into other genres now however because, it feels like I've heard all the good thrash. I know I haven't though I just don't know where to look so I came to you guys. I've heard tons of underground bands like crisix, theories of the apocalypse, etc. but I just don't know where to go from here, all I know is I want more thrash. Please help, thanks.

If you check out the "advanced thrash" thread pinned to the top of the thrash topic, there are tons of entries in there. I know that the code got fucked up again, so some are missing text and video somehow, but you should be able to find lots of good stuff there that you haven't heard before.

Edit: It looks like all of the posts are currently fucked up, at least on my Tapatalk view. For some reason, every other video and every other paragraph of text are missing, and of course they don't match up. I'll try to throw something together.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Here's a big list for you, but I'm not sure how deep into thrash you've gone, so I might as well be exhaustive based on what I have. Some of these albums are better than others, obviously, but here is a list of all of the thrash and thrash related albums that I own and enjoy to one degree or another, and that I feel are worth your time to at least check out. Maybe I'll put a star next to what I would consider mandatory listens/favorites or something.

Note: this is just based on my collection. I've never claimed to be an expert on the subject, and personally know of a lot of bands/albums that I'm missing because I'm on the hunt for them, and there's likely a lot more that I still don't know about either. The important thing is to always keep searching, but hopefully you'll find some gems among this list that you haven't heard before.

Absu - The Sun of Tiphareth, The Third Storm of Cythraul, In the Eyes of Ioldanach*, Tara*, Mythological Occult Metal, Absu, Abzu (black/thrash)

The Accüsed - The Return of Martha Splatterhead (crossover/thrash)

Agressor - Towards Beyond (technical death/thrash)

Alarum - Eventuality (thrashy prog metal)

Anacrusis - Manic Impressions, Screams and Whispers (prog/thrash)

Annihilator - Alice in Hell, Never Neverland, Refresh the Demon, Carnival Diablos (speed/thrash)

Anthrax - Spreading the Disease, Among the Living, Persistence of Time (thrash. The debut is good too, but it's speed metal)

Ares Kingdom - Return to Dust, Incendiary (death/thrash)

Armoros - discography* (Canadian thrash)

Artillery - B.A.C.K., When Death Comes (melodic thrash metal)

Atheist - Piece of Time, Unquestionable Presence*, Elements (technical death/thrash)

Atrophy - Socialized Hate, Violent by Nature (thrash with some crossover elements)

Aura Noir - Black Thrash Attack*, Deep Tracts of Hell, The Merciless, Hades Rise, Out to Die (black/thrash)

Bathory - Blood Fire Death* (black/thrash)

Bestial Mockery - Christcrushing Hammerchainsaw, Evoke the Desecrator, Gospel of the Insane (black/thrash)

Blind Illusion - The Sane Asylum (prog/thrash)

Cadaver - Necrosis (death/thrash. Their second album ...In Pains is their best, but it's just weird death metal)

Cancer - The Sins of Mankind (death/thrash. Again, not their best album, but earlier albums were death metal)

Carnivore - Carnivore*, Retaliation* (speed/thrash/crossover)

Comecon - Converging Conspiracies (weird death/thrash)

Coroner - R.I.P*., Punishment for Decadence*, No More Color*, Mental Vortex*, Grin* (technical thrash)

The Crown - Hell is Here, Deathrace King*, Crowned Unholy (melodic death/thrash)

Cryptic Slaughter - Convicted, Money Talks (crossover/thrash)

D.R.I. - Dealing With It, Crossover (crossover/thrash)

Dark Angel - We Have Arrived, Darkness Descends*, Leave Scars, Time Does Not Heal* (brutal thrash)

Darkane - Rusted Angel, Insanity, Layers of Lies* (melodic death/thrash)

Darkness - Death Squad, Defenders of Justice (German thrash)

Death Angel - The Ultraviolence*, Frolic Through the Park, Act III (Bay Area thrash)

Deathrow - Satan's Gift, Raging Steel* (German thrash)

Deathwish - Demon Preacher (UK thrash)

Deceased - Fearless Undead Machines*, Supernatural Addiction*, As the Weird Travel On*, Surreal Overdose* (death/thrash/heavy metal)

December Wolves - Completely Dehumanized (black/thrash)

Demolition Hammer - Epidemic of Violence* (brutal thrash)

Desaster - The Arts of Destruction (black/thrash)

Desekrator - Metal for Demons (black/thrash)

Deströyer 666 - Phoenix Rising, Cold Steel... For an Iron Age*, Defiance (black/thrash)

Destruction - Sentence of Death*, Infernal Overkill, Eternal Devastation, Release From Agony*, Cracked Brain, All Hell Breaks Loose*, The Antichrist, Inventor of Evil (black/thrash early on, German thrash later)

Devastation - Idolatry (brutal thrash)

Dødheimsgard - Monumental Possession (black/thrash)

Evil Army - Evil Army* (retro thrash)

Exhorder - Slaughter in the Vatican*, The Law (brutal/groove thrash)

Exodus - Bonded by Blood*, Pleasures of the Flesh, Fabulous Disaster*, Tempo of the Damned (Bay Area thrash)

Exumer - Possessed by Fire

Flame - March Into Firelands (black/thrash)

Flotsam and Jetsam - Doomsday For the Deceiver (power/thrash)

Forbidden - Forbidden Evil, Twisted Into Form* (Bay Area thrash)

Ghoul - We Came For the Dead!, Splatterthrash (death/thrash/crossover)

Gravehill - All Roads Lead to Hell (black/death/thrash)

Hallows Eve - Death and Insanity, Monument (speed/thrash. Their debut is their best, but it's straight up speed metal)

Hatriot - Heroes of Origin (groove/thrash)

The Haunted - The Haunted, One Kill Wonder, rEVOLVEr (thrash/metalcore)

Heathen - Breaking the Silence (thrash/heavy metal)

Hellwitch - Syzygial Miscreancy* (technical death/thrash)

Hirax - Not Dead Yet (Bay Area thrash)

Holy Moses - Finished With the Dogs* (German thrash)

Holy Terror - Mind Wars* (speed/thrash. The debut is almost as good, but is straight up speed metal)

Iced Earth - Night of the Stormrider*, Burnt Offerings (power/thrash)

Incubus - Serpent Temptation, Beyond the Unknown* (death/thrash)

Inquisitor - Walpurgis Sabbath of Lust (death/thrash)

King's Evil - Deletion of Humanoise (brutal thrash)

Kreator - Pleasure to Kill*, Coma of Souls (German thrash. Debut is awesome, but is black metal)

Living Death - World Neurosis (German thrash)

Macabre - Grim Reality, Gloom*, Sinister Slaughter* (death/thrash)

Massacra - Final Holocaust (death/thrash)

Mastery - Lethal Legacy (instrumental modern thrash)

Megadeth - Killing Is My Business... and Business is Good*, Peace Sells, but Who's Buying?, So Far, So Good, So What?, Rust in Peace* (Bay Area thrash)

Mekong Delta - The Music of Erich Zann, The Principle of Doubt (progressive thrash)

Merciless - The Awakening*, The Treasures Within* (death/thrash)

Meshuggah - Contradictions Collapse* (technical thrash)

Metal Church - Metal Church*, The Dark (power/thrash)

Metallica - Kill 'em All*, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, ...And Justice for All (Bay Area thrash)

Ministry - Rio Grande Blood (industrial thrash)

Mongrel's Cross - The Sins of Aquarius (black/thrash)

Morbid Saint - Spectrum of Death*, Destruction System (brutal thrash)

Municipal Waste - Waste 'em All, The Art of Partying (retro crossover/thrash)

Necrodeath - Mater of All Evil, Black as Pitch, 100% Hell (black/thrash)

Necronomicon - Apocalyptic Nightmare (German thrash)

Nifelheim - Nifelheim*, Envoy of Lucifer (black/thrash)

Nocturnal Breed - Aggressor (black/thrash)

Nocturnus - The Key* (technical death/thrash)

Nuclear Assault - Game Over, The Plague, Survive*, Handle With Care (New York thrash)

Num Skull - Ritually Abused (brutal thrash)

Onslaught - The Force (UK thrash)

Overkill - Feel the Fire*, Fuck You!!!, Taking Over*, Under the Influence, The Years of Decay, Horrorscope*, I Hear Black, WFO, The Killing Kind, From the Underground and Below, Necroshine, Bloodletting, Killbox 13, Ironbound*, White Devil Armory* (New York thrash, mid-period albums are groove/thrash)

Poison - Further Down Into the Abyss* (black/thrash)

Possessed - Beyond the Gates, The Eyes of Horror (Bay Area thrash)

Protector - Misanthropy*, Golem*, Urm the Mad, The Leviathan's Desire (death/thrash)

Razor - Malicious Intent, Violent Restitution*, Shotgun Justice, Open Hostility (speed/thrash)

Realm - Endless War*, Suiciety (technical power/speed/thrash)

Rigor Mortis - Rigor Mortis (speed/thrash)

Ringworm - The Promise, Justice Replaced by Revenge (thrash/metalcore)

Ripping Corpse - Dreaming With the Dead* (death/thrash)

Ritual Carnage - The Highest Law, Every Nerve Alive*, The Birth of Tragedy, I Infidel (brutal thrash)

Sabbat (UK) - History of a Time to Come*, Dreamweaver* (UK thrash)

Sacrificial Slaughter - The Great Oppression (death/thrash)

Sadus - Chemical Exposure*, Swallowed in Black*, Elements of Anger (brutal thrash)

Sarcófago - The Laws of Scourge* (technical death/thrash. Early albums are even better, but are black metal)

Schizo - Main Frame Collapse* (black/thrash)

Sepultura - Schizophrenia*, Beneath the Remains*, Arise (debut album is also great, but is black/death metal)

Seventh Angel - The Torment (technical thrash)

Slaughter - Strappado* (death/thrash)

Slaughter Lord - Thrash 'til Death (black/death/thrash)

Slayer - Show No Mercy*, Haunting the Chapel*, Live Undead, Hell Awaits*, Reign in Blood, South of Heaven, Seasons in the Abyss (Bay Area thrash)

Sodom - Persecution Mania, Agent Orange, Sodom (German thrash. Early albums are black metal)

Solstice (US) - Solstice*, Pray (death/thrash)

Speed Kill Hate - Acts of Insanity (groove/thrash)

Stormtroopers of Death - Speak English or Die* (crossover/thrash)

Testament - The Legacy, The New Order, Souls of Black (Bay Area thrash)

Thanatos - Emerging From the Netherworlds, Realm of Ecstasy (death/thrash)

Thought Industry - Songs For Insects (progressive thrash)

Tyrant (Swe) - Reclaim the Flame (black/thrash)

Usurper (US) - Necronemesis, Twilight Dominion, Cryptobeast (black/thrash)

Vektor - Black Future*, Outer Isolation* (technical thrash)

Vhöl - Vhöl (progressive black/thrash/hardcore)

Villains - Road to Ruin (black/thrash/hardcore)

Vio-Lence - Eternal Nightmare*, Oppressing the Masses (Bay Area thrash)

Voivod - War and Pain, Killing Technology*, Dimension Hatröss*, Nothingface* (progressive thrash. Debut is crusty thrash)

Watchtower - Energetic Disassembly*, Control and Resistance (technical thrash)

Weapönizer - Weapönizer (black/thrash)

Whiplash - Power and Pain*, Ticket to Mayhem, Insult to Injury (speed/thrash)

Yyrkoon - Occult Medicine, Unhealthy Opera (modern death/thrash)

Zemial - Nykta* (progressive black/thrash)

Znöwhite - Act of God* (speed/thrash)

Great list, dude. I've only started getting back into most thrash recently (as you know) but I'd add in Demolition Hammer's "Tortured Existence", Holy Moses' "New Machine Of Liechtenstein", Forced Entry's "Uncertain Future" and "As Above, So Below" (the last one is more groove/thrash but some fucking tasty guitar work going on), and if you've got bands like Atheist and Solstice in there you've gotta include Death. I'd say Martyr's "Warp Zone" too, good bit of tech thrash in their sound.

Also, in the context of this list, I wouldn't draw a line between early thrash and early black or death metal. Especially if you're including later blackened thrash, death/thrash, melodeath/thrash, etc, doesn't make sense to exclude early bands or albums that were developing towards thrash or had thrash elements.

Great list, dude. I've only started getting back into most thrash recently (as you know) but I'd add in Demolition Hammer's "Tortured Existence", Holy Moses' "New Machine Of Liechtenstein", Forced Entry's "Uncertain Future" and "As Above, So Below" (the last one is more groove/thrash but some fucking tasty guitar work going on), and if you've got bands like Atheist and Solstice in there you've gotta include Death. I'd say Martyr's "Warp Zone" too, good bit of tech thrash in their sound.

Also, in the context of this list, I wouldn't draw a line between early thrash and early black or death metal. Especially if you're including later blackened thrash, death/thrash, melodeath/thrash, etc, doesn't make sense to exclude early bands or albums that were developing towards thrash or had thrash elements.

The albums that you mentioned are ones that are on my radar, but are not yet a part of my collection. I've heard some songs from them, but I've never felt right about recommending something that I haven't spent much time with.

As far as early black/death goes, I have included the albums that I feel have significant thrash elements, but I have to draw a line somewhere. Otherwise, I would have to lump in all of the more aggressive heavy/speed metal entries that factored into thrash guitar playing, and likely some hardcore and even doom. Sure, fans of thrash would probably enjoy stuff like Master, Tormentor, Bolt Thrower, Morgoth, Vulcano, etc..., but I wouldn't call them thrash.

BAN mentioned Anacrusis, their album Suffering Hour was nice too.

That is a good one. I got a copy of that on eBay years ago, but it turned out to be a bootleg that I had paid a decent amount for because it was sold as a legitimate copy. I returned it for a refund, and was a bit gun shy about getting another.

9 hours ago, BlutAusNerd said:

That is a good one. I got a copy of that on eBay years ago, but it turned out to be a bootleg that I had paid a decent amount for because it was sold as a legitimate copy. I returned it for a refund, and was a bit gun shy about getting another.

I had the vinyl, bought it years ago in a second hand record store in the city near me, I loved the cover, sold it, fucking gutted...:(

9 hours ago, BlutAusNerd said: That is a good one. I got a copy of that on eBay years ago, but it turned out to be a bootleg that I had paid a decent amount for because it was sold as a legitimate copy. I returned it for a refund, and was a bit gun shy about getting another.

I had the vinyl, bought it years ago in a second hand record store in the city near me, I loved the cover, sold it, fucking gutted...:(

I'm not into tapes, and other than that, there are two vinyl copies for a little over $50 each with shipping, and a reasonably priced CD copy for a mere $350...

• 8 months later...

I would suggest to check out some Serbian thrash metal like Alitor, Alister, Anti-Dote, Azazel, Fatality, Kobold, Kuga (Plague in Serbian), Limbo, Pollution, Testator, Toxic Trace, Quasarborn, Space Eater, Putrid Blood,  and similar stuff. Alitor just put out their latest video, it's pretty good old school thrash.

• 3 months later...

Here are a few high quality hidden thrash gems:

• Equinox made quite an impact in the Norwegian thrash scene back in the days, but they never received any real attention abroad. A pity, since the first 3 albums are excellent.
  • Obliveon is a Canadian technical death thrash band that few people have heard about. The "From this Day Forward" cd is awesome!
  • One of my favorites among newer new thrash bands are Biotoxic Warfare from Greece. Lobotomized is hardly original, but great thrash.