Evoken

Thrashman

Evoken are actually very well regarded amongst fans of doom. In particular funeral doom fans such as myself will praise Evoken above many of their contemporaries.

They aren't well regarded in more commercial circles because let's face it twenty minute long songs played at 10 beats a minute don't sell en masse.

The problem is that funeral doom is extremely niche. The majority of metal fans, even if they enjoy doom, don't get into that side of it. I doubt Evoken are broken up about not being critically acclaimed or anything like that though. Like I said their music appeals to a select audience. Those who dig it praise Evoken plenty. Heck I basically said in our '1001 albums to hear before you die' thread their entire discography is perfect.

Out of curiosity are you a big funeral doom fan or just familiar with Evoken. You're pretty new around here so I haven't got much clue about what you are and aren't into besides thrash.

Can't say I'm very knowledgeable. Have investigated quite a lot of bands over the years, but Evoken are the only one that have really done it for me. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

There isn't a whole lot out there that sounds like Evoken, but they do take a lot of cues from dISEMBOWELMENT. Give their Transcendence Into the Peripheral album a whirl, it's one of the most perfect metal albums ever made IMHO.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

I'll second diSEMBOWELMENT 'cause god damn are they awesome. I suppose you can expect nothing less from Aussies though let's face it just about everything we do is brilliant. For a more melodic approach you might also want to check out Mournful Congregation. particularly The Monad Of Creation album.

It could be beneficial to check out the Doom 101 thread stickied at the top of this sub-forum. BAN has linked videos into all his posts and provides descriptions of each band. IIRC page three has an entirely funeral doom related post and there's a ton of awesome stuff in there from across the doom spectrum (well unless you want drone doom).

• 1 year later...
2 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:

You should fill in the gaps, they don't release bad albums. Atra Mors has grown to be one of my favorites from Evoken, it just crushes.

Oh I don't doubt it. Those were just two I was able to find. I intend to own everything they've done.

On 12/24/2017 at 9:46 PM, BlutAusNerd said:

You should fill in the gaps, they don't release bad albums. Atra Mors has grown to be one of my favorites from Evoken, it just crushes.

What he said.

They’re all great.

Evoken_CDs.jpg

The only one I don’t have is the split release with Beneath the Frozen Soil. Probably my most wanted CD. Doesn’t even look like it sells for that much when it does come up, but I haven't been able to find a copy.

New Evoken album in 2018 by the way, woo!

• 1 year later...
13 minutes ago, Ikard said:

Can we talk about how killer the new album is? I just got it a few days ago and it was well worth the wait. I found it to be much more expressive than previous works. Although Ban is right, they don't really have a bad album.

Yes. It fucking rules. It's one of my favorites of the year. I enjoy the echoes of classic early 90s Peaceville 3 material. I know I've said it elsewhere but I really think they benefit from their moments of comparative lightness on this, although I can understand why someone who's looking for a more "suffocating" or "aggressive" vibe might feel underwhelmed the first few go rounds. I liked Atra Mors and I don't think it's a massive departure, but everything on the new one feels more focused to me, and there are brilliant moments worth waiting for.

3 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Yes. It fucking rules. It's one of my favorites of the year. I enjoy the echoes of classic early 90s Peaceville 3 material. I know I've said it elsewhere but I really think they benefit from their moments of comparative lightness on this, although I can understand why someone who's looking for a more "suffocating" or "aggressive" vibe might feel underwhelmed the first few go rounds. I liked Atra Mors and I don't think it's a massive departure, but everything on the new one feels more focused to me, and there are brilliant moments worth waiting for.

Exactly. I think it added more to the album than it ever could have taken away (the lightness). I've listened to it three times consecutively since I got it and holy shit I am hooked. My favorite remains to be Antithesis of Light but only because it was the first Evoken record I ever owned. Atra Mors was really good too. I don't know man, I have yet to hear anything boring from them.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/24/2017 at 10:07 PM, Thrashman said:

The only one I don’t have is the split release with Beneath the Frozen Soil. Probably my most wanted CD. Doesn’t even look like it sells for that much when it does come up, but I haven't been able to find a copy.

I did track down a copy in the end, so my collection is officially complete ?

And yeah, the new one is excellent. I had the honour of interviewing Vince Verkay before it came out: http://deadmetalmusic.blogspot.com/2018/08/interview-evoken.html