"Where I Live"

MacabreEternal

I just relocated to Tampa, FL in February. Despite the onslaught of setbacks that seems to befall me, I'm really happy with the decision. I live in the southside of an up-and-coming neighborhood in central Tampa called Seminole Heights. It's about a 15 minute drive to everything but I honestly dont leave the neighborhood much, I'm walking distance to all the main bars and shops and the area is mostly 22-45 year olds so there's a real community vibe to it.  

If you think Brazil is about Soccer, Girls and Carnival then you're absolutely right! Besides that, Brazil (to be more specific, Sao Paulo where I live) Is a very pleasant place to live, I live near the coast so I'm kinda used to places like Beaches etc but it never gets old, when I'm chilling around the salt water, I Fell like I am a free person..Of course we have our issues like corruption and violence in favelas but i would totally recommend Brazil as a place for visiting, if you are new to these kind of places I mentioned early, you might enjoy yourself around here, the following pictures I took last month, It is in the same city I live, I'll post here to give you an idea of how it is here:

1.jpg

1457564_473044302813890_406707475_n.jpg

1471874_473044899480497_697645867_n.jpg

• 3 months later...

This is a pretty cool thread that I missed somehow. 

I live down the road from True Belief (sort of). Melbourne is a pretty cool city to live in. Lots of culture, theatre, music and sport and a crazy number of restaurants. 

I live in a suburb called Balwyn, where my wife grew up. We were lucky to get into the housing market early in our lives just after getting together, so we have a pretty nice place in a leafy part of town. We renovated our house in 2011 and put a second storey on, so it's no mansion but we have plenty of nice space and plenty of room for the Requiem princesses. 

For some reason back in the 1920s they made this area of Melbourne a 'dry area', meaning no pubs or bars, and it's still this way today. You can only buy alcohol from stores and restaurants. However, there is an ok pub about ten minutes walk from my place in the next suburb (where True Belief used to work, amazingly. I hope he doesn't mind me revealing these details). 

So it's a lovely suburb but very old skool, conservative. It's great for raising children but not exactly a rock n roll mecca. We are about a 20 minute bus ride from the city (which is what Melbournians call the central business district). 

Melbourne in general is great but we're a pretty conceited bunch, with the 'World's Most Liveable City' title for 6 years in a row or something. We also have a traditional rivalry with Sydney because they are worse than us in every way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melbourne

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balwyn,_Victoria

I live in central Minnesota, it gets fuckin cold in the winter man, some snow, not much lately. In the spring its a giant mudpie, in the summer most of the time it's well... humid as fuck, but without the humidity it wouldn't be too bad. The woods are beautiful and luscious green in the summer, then moving into fall... there's just something about sitting in the deerstand and just, hell not even looking for deer, just watching the sunset, and watching as the other stars start to pop into the sky. That's what I want to do with my GF. Sit in the stand and watch the sky. With Iron Maiden playing of course! \m/

I have to get her into heavy metal though, it may take a little doing, but I shall as yet make a metalhead of her.

• 9 months later...

Still in the DC area. It's political. Of course it is. Trump's election brought out the worst in everyone and nobody can stop talking about it. Very preppy. Everyone with any money dresses in strict accordance with style guidelines. Teeming with yuppies who drink all the time. Drivers are lousy. Public transport is being retooled so we don't get delays out the ass, but its still a pretty good system. Food's too damn expensive where I live, and the grocery store is meager. Summer this year was exceptionally mild but usually the weather's disgusting humid crap that makes you feel like a pig the second you step outside. Winter's very cold. Autumn is the best season. I like the presence of greenery in the nearby areas but it's lost its luster. Unfortunately I gotta learn to love this limestone bog because there's nowhere else I can reasonably expect to do African politics work in the US. At least this year I've been blessed with what is very cheap rent for the area, but the second I find a drier, less formal and doggedly left-wing area where I can pursue my career I'm taking it.

4 hours ago, Iceni said:

Still in the DC area. It's political. Of course it is. Trump's election brought out the worst in everyone and nobody can stop talking about it. Very preppy. Everyone with any money dresses in strict accordance with style guidelines. Teeming with yuppies who drink all the time. Drivers are lousy. Public transport is being retooled so we don't get delays out the ass, but its still a pretty good system. Food's too damn expensive where I live, and the grocery store is meager. Summer this year was exceptionally mild but usually the weather's disgusting humid crap that makes you feel like a pig the second you step outside. Winter's very cold. Autumn is the best season. I like the presence of greenery in the nearby areas but it's lost its luster. Unfortunately I gotta learn to love this limestone bog because there's nowhere else I can reasonably expect to do African politics work in the US. At least this year I've been blessed with what is very cheap rent for the area, but the second I find a drier, less formal and doggedly left-wing area where I can pursue my career I'm taking it.

DC is cool! I visited there back in the 90s. The Lincoln Memorial was great. We saw all the usual sites but I actually can't remember that much about it. I think I was just too young to really appreciate what I was looking at, which is unfortunate. 

5 hours ago, Requiem said:

DC is cool! I visited there back in the 90s. The Lincoln Memorial was great. We saw all the usual sites but I actually can't remember that much about it. I think I was just too young to really appreciate what I was looking at, which is unfortunate. 

DC's good to visit. Museums are pretty good. Living here is a different kettle of fish.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in a suburb of Pasadena, CA called Monrovia. It's beautiful and relatively peaceful, but that's about it. The people are either old, prejudiced retirees or ambitionless, gastropub-obsessed hipsters. There's some cool people, but they aren't always easy to come by. I've lived here my whole life, so I'm looking forward to getting the fuck out of here when I have the means.

• 1 month later...
On 08/12/2017 at 5:28 PM, NEUROMANCER said:

I live in Phoenix. There's nothing cool here, and all of you need to stop moving here. The freeways are beginning to clog like Los Angeles. It's 400 degrees in the shade in November and you need to stay in Wisconsin.

Stop. Moving. Here.

Seriously, I mean it.

Consider it done. 

• 2 years later...

Bump.

I was thinking of starting a similar thread, curious to know where everyone's from. Anyone from Pennsylvania? I'm originally from Florida (yuck) and moved up here about eight years ago. Most suburbs and rural towns are calm and peaceful. Lots of nature and outdoor activities, which I love. So much beauty. Lots to explore. Fall is gorgeous too and there are many festivals and fun activities to enjoy. Many people move here from New Jersey and New York. 

21 minutes ago, lia_kat15 said:

Bump.

I was thinking of starting a similar thread, curious to know where everyone's from. Anyone from Pennsylvania? I'm originally from Florida (yuck) and moved up here about eight years ago. Most suburbs and rural towns are calm and peaceful. Lots of nature and outdoor activities, which I love. So much beauty. Lots to explore. Fall is gorgeous too and there are many festivals and fun activities to enjoy. Many people move here from New Jersey and New York. 

Whereabouts are you? I lived in central PA (a little north of Harrisburg) for a bit in my late 20s and I can honestly say it was hell, insofar as hell is other people. Beautiful countryside though. 

4 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Whereabouts are you? I lived in central PA (a little north of Harrisburg) for a bit in my late 20s and I can honestly say it was hell, insofar as hell is other people. Beautiful countryside though. 

I'm in the Lehigh Valley (Allentown).

I moved about a year ago.  Now residing approx 25 mins drive from Liverpool.  I am far away enough though to live in the rural outskirts where the ever expanding city shows no sign of reaching yet.  Across from my house is a farmer’s field where deer have been seen (especially during lockdown) and over the back from my huge back garden there is woodland that is inaccessible by foot behind which is a motorway.

Despite the motorway it is peaceful here.  It is a great place to work (more home working ahoy) and is a great retreat from the world after a venture out into humanity has been forced upon us to get food.  I have my own office which acts as a great lair for me and my fiancée has her own dressing room.

The emphasis here is on local produce and most of our shopping (when we get out) is farm shop based.  There’s a community vibe which isn’t intrusive and within 24 hours of the first lockdown a group of locals had set up volunteer service to deliver groceries to the old and vulnerable. 

I like it here but it is still not “ours” and the landlord is not up for selling as he is building a nest-egg for his kids.  I am only doing one more move in my lifetime though so happy sit here and figure that out and make sure it ends up being the right one.

On 8/1/2020 at 7:54 AM, lia_kat15 said:

Bump.

Back in 1995 I spent a bit of time in Pennsylvania. The brother of the girl I was staying with as part of a school trip was going to Penn State University. I went to a school in New Jersey for a couple of weeks, but I guess I was in the area. So one day we drove out to Penn State. 

It was the first time I ever ate at a Subway restaurant. They told me about a meatball sandwich, and of course in 1995 I had no idea what that was, so I went ahead and had one. It was obviously delicious. 

The other thing I remember was that the university football stadium was huge, and as a dumb kid from Australia I had a hard time understanding why they had such a huge stadium at a university. Also the Amish were driving their carts really slowly down the streets and I couldn't believe this was happening, as all the cars were nicely slowing down and just putting along behind them. I couldn't understand why they didn't have to get out of the way. 

Thanks for reminding me of old times. :)

I've mentioned it before but we lucked out at the beginning of this year and were able to move to a bigger apartment, still in the same town. Not only do we actually have almost enough space, we're back from the street and up on the second story, in a quieter part of town. Peace is generally only shattered by dudes on loud motorcyles. They occur frequently; we're across the street from a gas station right next to the highway entrance. But still, it's the most space and peace and quiet I've personally had in over a decade. Maybe I'll post some pics after I water the plants.

• 1 year later...

I used to live 10 minutes walk to this place in a hilly suburb full of trees and character and 20 minutes walk to my work before wife decided a bigger house in a more mundane modern subdivision in a commuter suburb would be better.

1.jpg

Now I live in this kind of cul de sac (note this is not my suburb) in a really mundane soulless modern house with about as much charm as a stack of plastic washing baskets in a dollar store.

😢

Oh and now I can never complain about lack of environmental commitment by Australians because we doubled our carbon footprint as I now have to drive to work and the house is so large and badly laid out it needs two heat pumps.  😞

da27a3e87bfe25609b161a5dee83053c.webp

• 4 weeks later...

I live in Poole, Dorset. 

Millionaires playground for the elite and then just a good place to Skate, Surf and drink for others ( Me ) couple of decent pubs but have to travel into local Bournemouth for rock bars or decent gig venues. Decent local scene for the heavy music aficionado. The divide between the upper and working class makes for an interesting mix and a good place to be a black sheep ( also me ). 

I was born in Paisley, Glasgow and got moved here early on for a better life. I cant really argue against Poole being a better place to grow up and also bring my kids up. Gets too hot for my liking though. 

I live in northern Sweden, which isn't saying much since geographically it makes up more than 50% of the countrys surface (search for Norrland and have a look), in one of the bigger coastal towns. We live in a 3-room apartment close to the city center, we lucked out and managed to buy it about 10 years ago before the market exploded and it's value more than doubled. Problem is that it's very obvious that 80 square meters is way too little for 3 people, especially when two of them work from home... We'd really like a house outside of town close to nature, but unless you wanna drive 30 min one way to school, houses are expensive! So we're saving and waiting. The market should tank some time I guess.