"Where I Live"

MacabreEternal

Not as in "post your address", heck I ain't even expecting you to state your town or city. More of a "What's Cool About Here" thread.

I live in a tiny place called Lathom, it is a largely rural area with lots of greenery and roads with no footpaths (sidewalks for our American brethren).  It is the kind of place were you wander down a lane and someone's dog greets you and then happily trots off back up it's garden path or driveway waiting for the next passer by.  It has one pub (which I can see from my bedroom window across the fields) that serves real ale.  There are no supermarkets in Lathom but then again nor is there anyone under the age of 70! Jus kiddin of course.  Across the back from us are two donkeys (Hugo and Carlos) and they share their field with two alpacas, some chickens, some geese and a selection of wild rabbits.

We have farm shops round here and so the emphasis is very much on homegrown produce bought from the source.  We have the opportunity to buy our house that we rent here but we just can't afford it (thanks Capitalism) and there are too many jobs needed to bring the place up to scratch.  There are no towns nearby with any music shops so I have to rely on the Internet to provide my music or head over to Liverpool for physical purchases.

It is a great place to live and one I always look forward to coming back to, especially after my long trips away (which are less now). Once the house is sold we will try to stay in Lathom.

I've been homesick since I got to our new town. I'm trying to get past that. I don't know if I'll come to think of it as "home", but there are definitely some cool things about being here.

Lowell, MA: It's neat having a space outside where I can do a bit of carpentry if need be, and it's also neat having friendly neighbors who offer me a beer when they're hanging out around back of the building. I've got a big enough studio room for an actual couch, first time I've had that since I moved to NYC for college. Our place is nearly big enough for us to avoid tripping over one another, and we can afford a storage space, so we won't have to also trip over years worth of accumulated stuff. There's an interesting indoor mall here called "Mill No. 5" that occupies the fourth floor of an old industrial building: tiny little shops, a lending library, and a small cinema lining a long, dimly lit hallway, all with wood floors and high ceilings. Tons of character. Despite having a vinyl-only record store, it avoids being hipster-y by virtue of its community vibe. I actually enjoy the handmade artisanal soap products on sale, but that's a relatively new experience for me, so don't tell anyone. There's another space nearby that functions as a large art gallery and pizza shop, with good, fresh beer on tap. A Greek bakery that makes some of the best sandwiches I've ever had. A few places that roast their own outstanding coffee. Tons of really tasty Asian food, probably due to the comparatively large Cambodian population. The canals and river views are very pretty and relaxing, though we're in the middle of a heat wave that's made walking around town a bit of a losing proposition. I like being as close as we are to the country, and I hope to go take some walks in actual woods before the winter - this is something that was not at our doorstep in Brooklyn. People in general have been welcoming. And I look forward to getting our place set up, getting back to being productive, and hopefully checking out some of the nearby towns as well as spending some time in Boston.

I'll take some pics and update this post soon.

Where I live is over-developed. The phrase concrete jungle springs to mind. I guess I'm not used to it yet. Moving from an older suburb with sprawling parklands and only one major road in close proximity to an area surrounded by busy roads is weird. I miss being able to wander down to the lake and see ducks. I also miss that feeling of confidence knowing I can let my dog run free and the worst that can happen is he runs through a small creek.

On the other hand I'm within walking distance of a massive shopping complex, and public transport lines. Our neighbours are friendly enough and the house itself is quite nice. It's also very close to where I would meet up for cycling. If I can motivate myself to get back into serious training there's plenty of lovely hills I can tackle.

5 hours ago, natassja7 said:

I live in the Lake District, lots of mountains, forests and of course lakes :) It's pretty quiet and not many people so suits me fine.

Before her op me and the gf had just started walking and had been up the Lakes round cat bells trail or summat?  Ended up in Keswick anyways.

7 minutes ago, MacabreEternal said:

Before her op me and the gf had just started walking and had been up the Lakes round cat bells trail or summat?  Ended up in Keswick anyways.

Oh aye? Oer fells nt tarns?...lol..yeh you enjoy it?  Keswicks nice....pop in for a brew next time..lol..and some goat stew.

3 minutes ago, natassja7 said:

Oh aye? Oer fells nt tarns?...lol..yeh you enjoy it?  Keswicks nice....pop in for a brew next time..lol..and some goat stew.

We stayed in a tiny place with like one B&B and a Pub and nowt else. I want tosay it was called Ship but whisky may be making me broken!  Will have that brew Nat!

Pissed it down all day in Keswick - Mountain Whorehouse made a fucking fortune off me that day.

2 minutes ago, MacabreEternal said:

We stayed in a tiny place with like one B&B and a Pub and nowt else. I want tosay it was called Ship but whisky may be making me broken!  Will have that brew Nat!

Pissed it down all day in Keswick - Mountain Whorehouse made a fucking fortune off me that day.

Aye that sounds about right...nowt else..lol..it always pisses down here..lol

• 2 weeks later...
On 14-8-2016 at 5:15 PM, natassja7 said:

I live in the Lake District, lots of mountains, forests and of course lakes :) It's pretty quiet and not many people so suits me fine.

Now I finally know where I have to move to.

As I have no hipster or fancy pictures of my neighbourhood, I'll try to describe it a bit. I live in the third big city of the Netherlands, Den Haag. As you might expect from a big city, it's usually quite crowded around here. Luckily, I do live in a more quiet street, but when I walk 200 meters, I end up at one of the main ways to the beach. The beach is around 1 km walking for me, which is quite nice. In the evening it is the perfect place to refresh yourself a bit, by walking close to the sea. It's perhaps the only thing I like about this city, although we have dunes (which are bit further away for me) and a couple of small parks though, but you can't really escape 'the big city' at these places.

Sigh, only the thoughts already about living close to mountains, forests and lakes...

I went to the Hague once or twice, seemed like a really nice city (as far as cities go..) Better than Amsterdam for me, anyway ;)

I'm currently in London after having lived in Edinburgh for 6 years, but I'm soon to be moving to Hereford, thence on to the Forest of Dean/Wye Valley kind of area if I can get my shit together.  Should be nice...  Not a fan of big cities and the like, it's a bit jivy being in London atm but we're a way out of anywhere major so it's not too bad.  It still smells though, there are no stars, foul windz and way too much traffic noise for my liking.  I miss quiet Edinburgh, but will enjoy even quieter Herefordshire soon enough :)

Edinburgh is quieter then London granted but still busy compared to what I was used to when I visited in 2004/05. As I've said before Adelaide is pretty quiet particularly compared to the other major Australian cities. I mean living within walking distance of a major shopping mall and not having much of an issue with traffic noise tells you everything I guess. Still missing the walking trails around my old place but that is all tbh. Well ok that and the big ass park we'd go and kick the footy or soccerball around in (imagine the non-Aussies are now lost). Oh and the cricket pitch within walking distance as well but aside from those three things there's nothing I miss.

9 hours ago, welkyn said:

I went to the Hague once or twice, seemed like a really nice city (as far as cities go..) Better than Amsterdam for me, anyway ;)

Nice, did you went on holiday here? But I have to agree, for a city The Hague isn't that bad. But still too crowded haha. Yeah, Amsterdam is just a huge pile of weed smoking tourists. It's sad, because there actually nice things to see.