Hi everyone,

I was wondering if there were any guitarists on this forum who recorded their own black metal and needed live drums tracked? I'm not looking to make any money, I just want to have some fun. I just moved in to my new house and got my studio set up so I wanted to see if I could get going on some music. I'm very open to whatever you have.

This is my first post so I'm sorry if this is in the wrong spot.

• 5 months later...

I usually try to set up session drummer to record with at least one band member present. Where are you located? Do you have some sample work? Are you open to travel?

I never graft in any home acoustics done live drum tracks. Its proven to be less then stellar. Ok for working out song roughs, but not for finished for release songs, or even booking demos.

Do you want a full band? Would you get in the van and tour? Those questions are good when seeking other musicians. Helps you get a right fit.

36 minutes ago, MetalRecordingServices said:

I usually try to set up session drummer to record with at least one band member present. Where are you located? Do you have some sample work? Are you open to travel?

I never graft in any home acoustics done live drum tracks. Its proven to be less then stellar. Ok for working out song roughs, but not for finished for release songs, or even booking demos.

Do you want a full band? Would you get in the van and tour? Those questions are good when seeking other musicians. Helps you get a right fit.

These are good considerations when trying to start a band, but not necessarily applicable to an online collaboration - especially when it comes to black metal, where a low fi production aesthetic is often desired.

And yet another case of a one-and-done poster who seems highly unlikely to reappear...

All true but almost everyone deep inside is wishing their collaboration will get heard. Tough if no one is getting on the road and doing shows.

If your not looking to tour the songs, its only fair to declare it right away. Its fine as long its up front. The life clock is always a ticking. Like a metronome waiving a noose.

Give the guy the benefit of the doubt. Might see him again, who knows.

Lo fi is too easy. I prefer to hear some skills, and production that doesnt mask cloud or shroud the bands skills.  To each his own, just my preference. Im only degreed in it with a stack  professional certs.

I can always get dirty with the compressor the drum buss later. If someone insists or I need to cover up some sloppy drums.

Honestly dude, you seem to be stuck in a very particular mindset that's not entirely relevant here. A lot of this depends on where you're coming from. I don't get the impression that you know or care much about black metal, or extreme metal in general. That's not a dig at you, you don't have to care about it, but it matters when we start talking about goals and production values. As far as getting heard goes, there are popular blog sites with high readership that are more than happy to cover musical projects regardless of how many members they have, or whether or not they're willing to tour or even play live. Studio-focused projects from various parts of the black metal community (for instance, Darkthrone, Deathspell Omega, Jute Gyte, the new Khonsu album... or, say, Bathory) are widely respected; new releases from active projects are highly anticipated, feature prominently on year-end lists, sell copies, etc. This isn't the working band club circuit. Not everybody wants that life or plays for that kind of audience.

Posting on a forum that you just got your home studio set up and asking if anybody wants live drums for their own black metal recordings, free of charge, seems pretty up front to me. Online collaborations like this are commonplace. I'm part of one myself. Would be cool if the guy did come back; it's rare but it's happened before. 

As far as your degrees, experience, etc - you certainly seem to have a good amount of knowledge about equipment and recording practice. It's usually positive to hear from somebody with that kind of knowledge, and I've enjoyed some of your posts. I'm not trying to disparage that when I say extreme metal in general seems to be outside of your wheelhouse. I agree that it can suck when bands hide their flaws behind shitty production, but lack of technical ability and production skills don't automatically equal a bad album. Songwriting and conviction count for just as much. Ultimately it's about individual taste in different musical styles and production aesthetics. Your own knowledge and abilities might be worthy of respect (do you have any samples of your work?), but they don't always apply. 

On 1/7/2017 at 3:27 PM, FatherAlabaster said:

Honestly dude, you seem to be stuck in a very particular mindset that's not entirely relevant here. A lot of this depends on where you're coming from. I don't get the impression that you know or care much about black metal, or extreme metal in general. That's not a dig at you, you don't have to care about it, but it matters when we start talking about goals and production values. As far as getting heard goes, there are popular blog sites with high readership that are more than happy to cover musical projects regardless of how many members they have, or whether or not they're willing to tour or even play live. Studio-focused projects from various parts of the black metal community (for instance, Darkthrone, Deathspell Omega, Jute Gyte, the new Khonsu album... or, say, Bathory) are widely respected; new releases from active projects are highly anticipated, feature prominently on year-end lists, sell copies, etc. This isn't the working band club circuit. Not everybody wants that life or plays for that kind of audience.

Posting on a forum that you just got your home studio set up and asking if anybody wants live drums for their own black metal recordings, free of charge, seems pretty up front to me. Online collaborations like this are commonplace. I'm part of one myself. Would be cool if the guy did come back; it's rare but it's happened before. 

As far as your degrees, experience, etc - you certainly seem to have a good amount of knowledge about equipment and recording practice. It's usually positive to hear from somebody with that kind of knowledge, and I've enjoyed some of your posts. I'm not trying to disparage that when I say extreme metal in general seems to be outside of your wheelhouse. I agree that it can suck when bands hide their flaws behind shitty production, but lack of technical ability and production skills don't automatically equal a bad album. Songwriting and conviction count for just as much. Ultimately it's about individual taste in different musical styles and production aesthetics. Your own knowledge and abilities might be worthy of respect (do you have any samples of your work?), but they don't always apply. 

i happen to agree with you very much on this point of preference. i have actually been getting pretty heavy into the lofi productions of underground artists and bands... it just seems more raw and real.... i even enjoy the flaws....

On 1/13/2017 at 9:18 PM, beneattheforest said:

i happen to agree with you very much on this point of preference. i have actually been getting pretty heavy into the lofi productions of underground artists and bands... it just seems more raw and real.... i even enjoy the flaws....

I think it's great when bands are able to choose the production style that best supports their music. and I'm happy that advances in home recording have brought that within reach for more musicians. I personally dig natural-sounding performances more than super-polished sounds in most contexts, but there's a time and a place for everything. I also think it's important not to let my taste in production stop me from enjoying good music, which has definitely taken me some work. But I agree, I'd rather hear real passion and conviction than studio trickery, however it happens to be conveyed.

• 2 weeks later...

Pleas excuse my absence.

For some reason notifications were going to my Junk folder and I didn't see anything. All this time I thought I wasn't getting any responses. 

I live in Houston, TX. I toured the US when I was younger and had a great time. That was back when I didn't have to pay bills! Nowadays, I enjoy doing session work in my home studio. I've always loved the production side of things so it suits me well. 

I have my email notifications set right this time. Please reach out if you STILL need drums!

WAAAAY off subject, but Give Me All Your Coffee - Have you had bulletproof coffee? Just tried it this week. 

7 hours ago, aaronsmithdrums said:

WAAAAY off subject, but Give Me All Your Coffee - Have you had bulletproof coffee? Just tried it this week. 

Haha, it's FatherAlabaster, "Give Me All Your Coffee" is just the title - we have a ranking system based on number of posts. It's not just you, a few people have had the same confusion in the past.

I have had bulletproof coffee, I used to make it at home pretty frequently. I've been drinking it black for a while now, but now that you mention it, maybe I'll have some this morning. One of our other moderators mentioned Turkish coffee recently and now I'm on a very low-key quest to figure out how to make that as well.

I would love to try some kind of collaboration; right now I'm furiously working on some ongoing projects when I'm not hanging with my son and/or too sick to do vocals, so I don't have time to put anything else on my plate. Stay in touch though, feel free to explore the rest of the forum, and I imagine there are a couple of other people here who might be excited to collaborate as well.

8 hours ago, aaronsmithdrums said:

I have my email notifications set right this time. Please reach out if you STILL need drums!

I´m doing all kinds of stuff musically, and i do have one half baked black metal song i´m planning to do recording at some point in the next weeks. I would definitely love real drums for it too. It´s one of those songs that i really wish to invest in so haven´t really rushed it, i´ve had a couple year break from music and i have just spent some weeks obtaining gear and getting myself going again. Recording a lot of lil things and trying to remember all the tricks i had learned. Getting there. :D I did mess about with DAWs too.. had Sonar X3 for quite few years.. then tried to get back to Reaper since i´ve always enjoyed my workflow with that.. never really bothered to learn all the little things about Sonar that speed up your working. Didn´t get my sonar licence sold so i went and upgraded it to Sonar platinum, now i´ve spent few days just learning whatever i can about speeding up work process. Nothing kills creativity when recording like having to mess too much with the DAW. Damn, that was a whole lot of jibba jabba only to  say that yeah, i´m interested to do some stuff at some point. :D 

Good to hear from both of you. 

I've been having bulletproof coffee for breakfast recently and I will say, I can feel a difference. It's good stuff! 

And about the DAWs - I've never tried Sonar. Using Reaper a lot over the years I've become really used to it's workflow. There is so much I don't know about it though. If you want some good learning material, watch anything Kenny Gioa (sp) does on Youtube. He covers a lot of the features that could help you speed things up and simplify the process. 

I will say, it's nice that you have this metal forum with nice people on it. Ever been over to the Andy Sneap forums? That's a tough crowd there.

I've played with Reaper, but never done anything serious. I've been a Cubase user since VST 24, currently running 5, and I love it but I may make the switch to Reaper for financial reasons. 

As far as the forum goes, I'm glad you have that impression. It's a somewhat unfortunate coincidence that I just had to give someone the axe for getting too volatile, but that's very rare. A lot of us are a little older, and we like to keep it civil. I post on other sites occasionally, but I consider this my online home.

What bands are you into? How technical do you get? I personally can't seem to help making my own stuff more complicated and difficult... Doesn't speed up the songwriting process...

Oh, Cubase eh? That's cool. I tried that long ago and it was great. I know a lot of friends who swear by Cubase so I'm sure it's developed a great amount since I originally messed with it. I think it's safe to say that every forum has it's select few ...special people who like to be nasty to others. It seems to be a prerequisite over at the Sneap forums though. Ha!

I'm older too, I guess. 29 isn't young, right? 

I know this is metal forum so please try to keep an open mind - When it comes to music, I'm into a lot of different things. Right now, I'm into Cyndi Lauper and Blondie a lot. I think they're perfect and can do no wrong. I also like classic country music. That stuff is gold. 

Metal? Well, I tend to gravitate toward black metal more than any of the other sub genres. I like a lot of the older stuff. Burzum, Kristallnacht, etc. Dissection is a heavy favorite as well. What about you? 

As far as technical goes, I like it. Complex riffs or time signature stuff? Or both? Haha. 

I used Cubase first, then spent quite few years with Reaper. Eventually just wanted a change so bought Sonar x3 studio. Now that i started again my music stuff, i kinda went back to Reaper which just was the most familiar.. but it´s also the same old, bit too familiar. I was actually at first looking to swap my drum soft, i used Steven slate drums for quite long (too long).. but what happened is i bought Sonar platinum and that comes with Addictive drums 2, and that was exactly what i needed actually. Get me out of my familiar stuff and a fresh template literally and figuratively. I have sorted out now pretty much all of my workflow gripes, and loving Sonar more than ever.. it´s such an amazing DAW. Reaper is of course great, and worth every penny if you get the license. Easily the best bang for buck DAW out there. The Reaplugins are great no matter what DAW you use btw. 

4 hours ago, aaronsmithdrums said:

I know this is metal forum so please try to keep an open mind - When it comes to music, I'm into a lot of different things. Right now, I'm into Cyndi Lauper and Blondie a lot. I think they're perfect and can do no wrong. I also like classic country music. That stuff is gold. 

I´m sure pretty much everyone here has their ventures outside metal too, personally ie. goth rock and electro industrial are those things.

10 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

I've played with Reaper, but never done anything serious. I've been a Cubase user since VST 24, currently running 5, and I love it but I may make the switch to Reaper for financial reasons. 

I´m sure you´ll love Reaper when you get used to it. It´s super convenient to use and flexible as hell. I would still be using it, if it weren´t for my urge to find fresh things to give me a boost and more toys to play and be creative with. Instead of buying a tonne of extremely expensive VST instruments etc. i upgraded to a version of a DAW that i kinda know allready and comes with more VSTi i could ever wish to need in any project i can imagine. Of course it´s not cheap either, but with the upgrade price and monthly payments (12 months then you own it forever) it´s easily doable to me. 

• 2 months later...