dennis1077

Top 10 Thrash Albums

1 minute ago, BlutAusNerd said:

I get that you mean. It's more frantic than No More Color and maybe not quite as confident, but they were reaching out for something unreal, and then they grabbed hold of it and didn't let go. No More Color seems a bit more relaxed by comparison, but it's that manic, almost desperate raging quality to Punishment for Decadence that gives it the top spot for me. It's totally wild, about to careen out of control at any moment, but they manage to keep it contained at just the right moment to let it start going out of control another way.

Yeah, it's a pretty remarkable development from RIP and I appreciate that aspect of the album. It's just that it's not simply the case of No More Color (and Mental Vortex) being more relaxed but also adopted this sinister and slithering demeanor alongside all of the technique associated with their work. 

Anyway, you can't really go wrong with any of their albums. 

Your Ad Here
Support the forum, get a special badge and promote yourself to thousands of Metal fans. Click the above link to get started!

I would like to just link this thread with a conversation at the moment in the rate the song above section that is focusing on the band Holy Terror. I notice that only one person on this thread listed them as a band that has produced one of the top ten thrash albums. 

I feel I have proven my point that Holy Terror are just not that good. Otherwise they would feature on every list. If a band is that easy to overlook then they are just not good enough to warrant the current conversation in the other thread. 

20 minutes ago, Fraser said:

I would like to just link this thread with a conversation at the moment in the rate the song above section that is focusing on the band Holy Terror. I notice that only one person on this thread listed them as a band that has produced one of the top ten thrash albums. 

I feel I have proven my point that Holy Terror are just not that good. Otherwise they would feature on every list. If a band is that easy to overlook then they are just not good enough to warrant the current conversation in the other thread. 

I can't comment on the band, it's a while I don't listen to Mind Wars. Keep in mind though, sometimes this logic does not apply to every band. If *number of times a band gets mentioned* = *quality of their music*, by this standard Cannibal Corpse or Six Feet Under could be consider better than The Chasm or Brutality, which put a lot more emphasis on songwriting and coherent riffs. 

29 minutes ago, MattCantina said:

I can't comment on the band, it's a while I don't listen to Mind Wars. Keep in mind though, sometimes this logic does not apply to every band. If *number of times a band gets mentioned* = *quality of their music*, by this standard Cannibal Corpse or Six Feet Under could be consider better than The Chasm or Brutality, which put a lot more emphasis on songwriting and coherent riffs. 

The point I have proven was I was pointed out for mentioning Slayer in the same sentence as Holy Terror but Slayer is mentioned on the majority of the lists above, if Holy Terror were really that much of a deal in Thrash then they would be mentioned just as much if not more. How can a band be mentioned in the same realm as the big 4 but then never be mentioned in a generic conversation about thrash. Makes literally no sense. 

The point I have proven was I was pointed out for mentioning Slayer in the same sentence as Holy Terror but Slayer is mentioned on the majority of the lists above, if Holy Terror were really that much of a deal in Thrash then they would be mentioned just as much if not more. How can a band be mentioned in the same realm as the big 4 but then never be mentioned in a generic conversation about thrash. Makes literally no sense. 
Have you ever stopped to consider that many users here have more than 10 thrash albums? They don't have to be in everyone's top 10 to still count as an excellent band. I have literally hundreds of thrash albums to pick from when formulating my top 10, but that doesn't mean that a great number of those albums that just barely don't make the cut based on personal preference aren't every bit as good. If I was to look at the next entries (11-50), I'm sure that they would still all count as worthy among most metal fans over the popular dross that clogs up a lot of the discussion among mainstream fans.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, BlutAusNerd said:

I don't see you spinning much thrash, but I would think most people would at least have 10 thrash albums to choose from.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'd be in double figures with thrash albums, no question. I actually used to own a lot more back in the cassette days. For instance, I don't actually own a single Metallica album on CD, but I still, miraculously have two on tape. But yeah, I have thrash. 

1. Megadeth - Youthanasia (not really thrash...)

2. Megadeth - Rust in Peace

3. Metallica - Master of Puppets

4. Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction

5. Metallica - And Justice for All

6. Testament - The Ritual

7. Megadeth - So Far So Good So What

8. Slayer - God Hates Us All

9. Metallica - Ride the Lightning

10. Slayer - South of Heaven

Pretty commercial list here but I was trying to avoid black thrash etc. 

15 hours ago, Requiem said:

1. Megadeth - Youthanasia (not really thrash...)

2. Megadeth - Rust in Peace

3. Metallica - Master of Puppets

4. Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction

5. Metallica - And Justice for All

6. Testament - The Ritual

7. Megadeth - So Far So Good So What

8. Slayer - God Hates Us All

9. Metallica - Ride the Lightning

10. Slayer - South of Heaven

Pretty commercial list here but I was trying to avoid black thrash etc. 

"Seasons in the Abyss" > "God Hates Us All"

3 hours ago, Balor said:

"Seasons in the Abyss" > "God Hates Us All"

Possibly, but the Darkness of Christ/Disciple opening of ‘GHuA’ is one of modern metal’s great moments for me. Amazing track(s). Plus I don’t own ‘Seasons’ and aren’t as familiar with it. 

My list should in no way be read as representative of anything beyond my limited thrash collection and passing interest in the genre. 

2 hours ago, Requiem said:

Possibly, but the Darkness of Christ/Disciple opening of ‘GHuA’ is one of modern metal’s great moments for me. Amazing track(s). Plus I don’t own ‘Seasons’ and aren’t as familiar with it. 

My list should in no way be read as representative of anything beyond my limited thrash collection and passing interest in the genre. 

I have limited experience with thrash as well, so my thoughts are not necessarily extremely insightful.  While I still think that my opinions hold true, I nevertheless also recognize "God Hates Us All" as a masterpiece.  Both are very good albums, I just like one over the other.

1 minute ago, Balor said:

I have limited experience with thrash as well, so my thoughts are not necessarily extremely insightful.  While I still think that my opinions hold true, I nevertheless also recognize "God Hates Us All" as a masterpiece.  Both are very good albums, I just like one over the other.

For me, 'God Hates Us All' has a lot of filler on it. The tracks 'Darkness of Christ', 'Disciple' and 'Threshold' are by far my favourites. I can't get over how great and intense 'Threshold' is. It really speaks to me regarding the frustrating times of my life. The rest of the album is strangely unexciting though. 

I foolishly purchased 'Christ Illusion' when it came out and was, of course, bitterly disappointed with myself. Slayer albums I have owned either now or in the past: 'Hell Awaits', 'Reign in Blood', 'South of Heaven', 'Divine Intervention', 'God Hates Us All' and 'Christ Illusion'. That's not bad for a non-thrash kid. 

3 minutes ago, Requiem said:

For me, 'God Hates Us All' has a lot of filler on it. The tracks 'Darkness of Christ', 'Disciple' and 'Threshold' are by far my favourites. I can't get over how great and intense 'Threshold' is. It really speaks to me regarding the frustrating times of my life. The rest of the album is strangely unexciting though. 

I foolishly purchased 'Christ Illusion' when it came out and was, of course, bitterly disappointed with myself. Slayer albums I have owned either now or in the past: 'Hell Awaits', 'Reign in Blood', 'South of Heaven', 'Divine Intervention', 'God Hates Us All' and 'Christ Illusion'. That's not bad for a non-thrash kid. 

"Seasons in the Abyss" has many great songs also.  "War Ensemble," "Expendable Youth," "Dead Skin Mask," and the eponymous track are all amazing.  The fact that it compiled some of my absolute favorite extreme metal songs into one album made this my undisputed favorite.

I thought that "Eyes of the Insane" off "Christ Illusion" was a pretty good track, though I never really checked out the album as a whole.

Your Slayer collection is much greater than mine (which currently stands at absolute zero), and actually outnumbers the total number of thrash albums that I actually own (2 - I am no great fan of thrash either).  I really need to get some new music.

4 minutes ago, Balor said:

"Seasons in the Abyss" has many great songs also.  "War Ensemble," "Expendable Youth," "Dead Skin Mask," and the eponymous track are all amazing.  The fact that it compiled some of my absolute favorite extreme metal songs into one album made this my undisputed favorite.

I thought that "Eyes of the Insane" off "Christ Illusion" was a pretty good track, though I never really checked out the album as a whole.

Your Slayer collection is much greater than mine (which currently stands at absolute zero), and actually outnumbers the total number of thrash albums that I actually own (2 - I am no great fan of thrash either).  I really need to get some new music.

Yeah but I'm an ancient and leathery 38 years old and you're as fresh and innocent as a new spring lamb. Most of my Slayer acquisitions took place in the 90s! I now no longer have 'Hell Awaits' or 'Divine Intervention' and suspect I must have swapped them with school chums in the aforementioned decade. 

5 minutes ago, Requiem said:

Yeah but I'm an ancient and leathery 38 years old and you're as fresh and innocent as a new spring lamb. Most of my Slayer acquisitions took place in the 90s! I now no longer have 'Hell Awaits' or 'Divine Intervention' and suspect I must have swapped them with school chums in the aforementioned decade. 

Lucky you for owning original editions.  All I have are some Metallica reissues (and their new album - label that what you may).

Not really a super well thought out list, just some of my favorite albums I have been listening to (Not in order either)

Metallica - Master of Puppets

Slayer - South of Heaven

Megadeth - Rust in Peace

Anthrax - Among the Living

Testament - The New Order

Death Angel - The Ultra-Violence

Sepultura - Arise

S.O.D - Speak English or Die

Nuclear Assault - Handle With Care

Kreator - Extreme aggression 

Today. I think. Gun to head, this is what I would grab right now...

1. Slayer - Reign In Blood

2. Megadeth - Rust In Peace

3. Exodus - Bonded By Blood

4. Sepultura - Beneath The Remains

5. Metallica - Ride The Lightning

6. Voivod - Dimension Hatross

7. Nuclear Assault - Game Over

8. Demolition Hammer - Tortured Existence

9. Sodom - Agent Orange

10. Vio-lence - Eternal Nightmare

Okay, think I can put this together now:

10. Vektor "Black Future" - the clever bit about "Black Future" is that I forget I am listening to a thrash record at various points across the record only to be soon enough brought back on topic as this album twists and contorts like some serpent now free of confines.  Go back 18 months and this wouldn't have even been in my top 100.  I heard it once and dismissed it (which was ridiculous i now concede).  Now it sits in my top ten.  Thank fuck for revisiting this.

9. Condor "Unstoppable Power" - if "Black Future" occupies my top ten for being challenging and diverse, "Unstoppable Power" occupies it for half of the same reasons.  The uncompromising attack of the blackened thrash on display here from these Norwegian bastards holds a comfort in that it sounds like an artist  just letting fucking rip and raising a giant middle finger all the way.  Vile, fast and relentless.  I fucking love this record.

8. Sodom "Agent Orange" - Sodom's finest record (just about edging "Persecution Mania") just ahead of the disappointing "Better Off Dead".  I always sit an take notice when I put this album on, it is impossible to try and do anything else as it will not permit use as background music.  Instead I make lots of silly faces and throw myself around my room like I am 13 again.  It is memorable, catchy and dripping with fucking riffs man!

7. Metallica "Kill `Em All" - the fucking energy on here is what stays with me after each listen.  The youthful sound of Hetfield's vocals and the sheer chug of the riffs, stoking the Metallica engine for another 3 great albums to follow, are to me what Thrash is all about as a genre.  Rebellious attitude, breakneck pace and absolute fucking fun to boot.  The start of a true golden run right here folks.  For the record, I laboured over whether to have this or "...And Justice For All" in this top ten.  For all the technical perfection of the latter record the energy of the debut made it a no contest.

6. Sepultura "Arise" - my first experience of Max and co. was "Arise".  It just blew me the fuck away at 15 years of age and I just played it to fucking death for the best part of four years.  The build to the opening of "Altered State" still puts the willies up me and when that fucking riff drops I lose my shit every time.  The memorability factor is ramped up to the max here with "Dead Embryonic Cells", "Infected Voice" and the title track all permanently ingrained in my brain.  Fuck yeah!

5. Dark Angel "Darkness Descends" - if aggressive thrash is the flavour of choice for your coffee then a hot steaming mug of "Darkness Descends" should get you wet for some caffeine baby!  As well as that savage aggression to the sound here there's a real menace in the delivery that creates an atmosphere perfectly complimented by that record cover.  It is thrash firmly on the Destruction, Slayer and Kreator side of the fence (no melodies here baby) and deserves a place in everyone's thrash collection.

4. Demolition Hammer "Epidemic of Violence" - I never tire of this record - I mean it opens with a song called "Skull Fracturing Nightmare" for fucks sake, what's not to love??  Yep, "Tortured Existence" was a good debut but fuck me did the unrelenting chaos and brutality get stepped up for full-length number 2!  This is so aggressive it borders on insanity but never once comes across as sloppy.

3. Slayer "South of Heaven" - there's no "Reign In Blood" in my top ten (spoiler alert)!  I get the hype and think it lives up to it (to a point) but for me "South Heaven" is my go to Slayer record.  The tracks are all here, ripe for the picking! "Mandatory Suicide", "Ghosts of War", "Behind the Crooked Cross", "Spill The Blood" or the title track could all make my thrash desert island disc compilation!

2. Sadus "Swallowed In Black" - super stoked to finally have this on CD.  It isn't just the ripping intensity that shreds away at your very soul, it is Steve DiGiorgio's mind bending bass work that just adds dimension to the whole sound of the record.  Fundamentally a death/thrash record which is not a blend that always works well, this is a complex and varied assault on the senses with sharp contrast between those clean bass tones, the crisp guitar sound and the shrillness of the vocal work.

1. Kreator "Pleasure To Kill" - Teutonic Thrash makes its second and final appearance in my top ten, occupying the top slot.  I just can't fault "Pleasure to KIll" (yes it trumps "Endless Pain" even in my book).  It stands up today still in terms of strength and relevance some 32 years after it was released.  The record just ploughs through my very existence every time I hear it.  There's almost an unorthodox sound to it for me, yet it carries a real surety with it at the same time (something "Seven Churches" lacks IMO).  It is like an "extreme" thrash album that takes the core values of the genre and somehow darkens them and fills them with looming menace and tangible threat.  The memorability on here comes from the total album experience as a whole, not just as a result of one section of the instrumentation or vocals for example.

1. Megadeth - KIMB
2. Megadeth - Peace Sells
3. Megadeth - Rust in Peace
4. Megadeth - SFSGSW
5. Voivod - War and Pain
6. Testament - Souls of Black
7. Rigor Mortis - S/T
8. Sepultura - Schizophrenia
9. Slayer - South of Heaven
10. Destruction - Live Without Sense

Some of these choices are pretty obvious but I personally love these albums

Rust In Peace - Megadeth

Master Of Puppets - Metallica

Seasons In The Abyss - Slayer

Agent Orange - Sodom

The Years Of Decay - Overkill

Alice In Hell - Annihilator

Beneath The Remains - Sepultura

Enemy Of God - Kreator

Illusions (Chemical Exposure) - Sadus

Rio Grande Blood - Ministry (I know it's industrial metal but it's still a pretty thrashy album)