Hello / bonjour

39 minutes ago, GorboGorboze said:

We spend some time around here thinking about why that might be. Many long term very active members have wandered off In the last year or so, and it is rare for a newcomer to make it to the one hundred posts mark with out wandering off as well. KJtheguitarist stands on that threshold at the moment, and you are a third the way there yourself, which is great. You also both help us wrap around the world and are both non native English speakers with advanced English skills which is very cool as well. Not that any of us are discouraged by the occasional intermediate English user we receive here, and I wish we had more of them.

I've been a little bored by the forum of late, and started to read only selective threads, but I'm pretty invested overall, and it still bolsters my exploration of metal to some degree, though I feel like my old school tastes put me in a minority around here. It's the only forum I really know well. I visited a few, and they seem OK some of them. I joined one on Tiki Bar culture, but I didn't last long there for whatever reason, it was very big and healthy and had loads of pretty pictures of people's homemade bars and art and other very cool stuff and it was generally friendly, I just didn't take there somehow. 

Do you have other forums you go to, or have been involved with in the past?

I agree with Alabaster, that as long as it cooks along OK it is nice for those of us who have been on for a long while and are very invested and know each other to the degree possible. It is easy to imaging that for a newcomer they might hit the scene here read through some of the old threads that are really about metal, dredge them up only to find the locals are basically done with them and then notice that we locals are talking about our breakfast and love lives and automotive interests and you might say to your self "What the fuck, that is not metal".

We can't go on forever without attracting serious new members, (and just between you and me and exclusive insider thread will not help with that) so here are some flowers for you Jerome. Welcome to the forum...fall-arrangements-2-mld108163_vert.jpg?i

Ha ha ha, 

Thanks for the flowers!

I have been active on other forums, which were smaller. I personally prefer smaller forums, you get to know the people better. But the 2 forums I was involved in, I left.

I was a regular on Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal until 2006, where there was a cool community of people. Then he joined Guns N' Roses, and all the GnR fans joined his forum, just posting about GnR, which drowned the community who was talking about Bumblefoot's music, fretless guitars etc. So I went away. I might go have a look what it's like now that he has left GnR! Maybe all the GnR fans have left too... (I got into metal by starting with GnR, so I have nothing against them. But reading posts on BBF forum about how much people miss Slash etc got me bored. They must trully cream their pants as we speak).

In the meantime, I also got very involved on Christophe Godin's forum (who I mentioned in my "French Metal" post) for many years... Probably from 2005 or so. I was a moderator on there all that time (and am still one now), but decided to leave the forum as one person on there has been trolling me quite badly; and as the forum grew quieter, the trolling took over. And as this guy trolled other members (friends) who left because of him, then I decided to leave as the guy would not admit responsibility in his shit behaviour, and would not back off. I spoke with the administrator who is not really keen on banning people (which is fine), but this troll has been unpleasant for so many years, that I decided to leave the ship. I didn't want to, but I had to.

This forum was a great community, I met plenty of the members at Christophe Godin's concerts in Paris, or at guitar camps we attended together; so I knew quite a few of them quite well. And this is why it was heartbreaking to leave, but had to.

So now I am trying other places... I am still assessing this place. As I said, I find it quiet, so if it is too quiet, I might just jump ship too. I dunno, I will give it a good go. Promised! :) there seem to be nice people around here, so let's see! But I have not yet exposed you to my shit humour... so you might kick me out eventually... we'll see!

Finally, thanks for the compliments on my English. It is not perfect, but i guess that's almost the best I can do after having lived in the UK for 15 years. ;) I do not "sound" French when I write I guess, but when I speak, "Zere iz an accent"... which I never managed to get rid of. Although it is not "Ze typical French accent".

I come from Evian (yes like the water, that actually where it comes from), on the shore of the Geneva Lake (which is actually called "Leman's lake") on the French side (the lake is 2/3 Swiss and 1/3 French). Here's a map:

Where-is-Evian-on-map-France.jpg

Voilà!

It sucks that your admin wouldn't back you up. We let some things slide, but as a community we're not very tolerant of trolls. Thankfully it's been a while since we had to deal with that. 

Do you have any good water around where you live now? And where's this awful humor you keep talking about? Let's have some jokes, then, funny guy. 

9 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

It sucks that your admin wouldn't back you up. We let some things slide, but as a community we're not very tolerant of trolls. Thankfully it's been a while since we had to deal with that. 

Do you have any good water around where you live now? And where's this awful humor you keep talking about? Let's have some jokes, then, funny guy. 

Yes, it was a disappointment, especially that the admin' is a buddy of mine. Anyway.

The water is not great where I live, but it can be drunk, so I'll survive!

;)

As for the jokes, I am only 30 posts in, I'll wait a bit... It is usually bad taste...

OK then:

What's the difference between Amy Winehouse and a moped?

a moped can reach 30

On 05/04/2016 at 3:05 PM, FatherAlabaster said:

I'm still in touch with most of my friends from here who have been scarce lately, and it just seems like everyone's got life going on and/or hasn't been in the mood. Some people need more interaction than we provide, some people need less. 

Could always do with more flowers, though. Maybe the time is ripe for turning the forum into the horticultural discussion mecca that you envisioned a while back. 

I am so down for that

As for the troll thing, I can't really think of any major trolling since that dinosaur thing a while back.