Helroth

LilleFloytist

Hey, welcome to the forum. You know, at first I was thinking this is very nice but not really my type of metal, but half way through it occurred this totally my kind of metal. You all are defiantly what I consider to be a generous band, and seeing your footage I get the sense that you are really sharing your selves and being genuine people. That is really awesome, and I admire you drummer a lot to boot, he seems really top notch. I would be stocked to see you live if I ever got the chance. I'll just add that I'm very intrigued by Poland as a country and have long wanted to travel there. Anyway I hope you like it here on the forum and stick around a bit. 

I am hearing Przasniczka now and loving it. Your music is really beautiful, I could listen to it all day, especially in Polish. You the best band to promote it's self here in a long while. I feel like if I went on any more it would get embarrassing, so You'll have to make due with this for now. 

Wow, thank You sooo much for all this kind words! :wub: Prząśniczka, 972, Silitian Tale, Karczma Rzym and Wataha are the songs from our EP "Wataha". It's available to download from last.fm I think and from other places (but as it's an EP the quality sucks alot). We hope to release our debut longplay in March/April. As for the genre - we never knew what we're exactly playing, because as You'll hear on our debut we range from shamanic black metal, calm folk ballads to progressive and power metal, I guess some people will complain that we're too diverse :P 

One of our songs especially is very experimental and we recorded our first video clip to this song. It's "Wiedźma" (The Witch) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBJUUd_p220

6 hours ago, LilleFloytist said:

As for the genre - we never knew what we're exactly playing, because as You'll hear on our debut we range from shamanic black metal, calm folk ballads to progressive and power metal, I guess some people will complain that we're too diverse :P 

One of our songs especially is very experimental and we recorded our first video clip to this song. It's "Wiedźma" (The Witch) 

As for genre, when i'm telling my friends what a great band you are, I'm going to describe you as "Slavic Folk Metal" unless you would object to that classification. If you do object to that then speak up fast as I'll be turning my drummer friend onto you at lunch time (in about 3 hours), and it would be great to avoid confusion. I feel sure that he is not going to object to Helroth's excess of musical diversity, so take heart there.

The background singing sounds like some examples of Balkan Woman's Choirs that we heard a lot of here in the USA at some point in the 90's, if I recall the time period well. That choral sound appeared in several movies (my first introduction was in a Japanese Anime called Achera or something like that? someone here will surly know that movie's actual name). Anyway I love that strange haunting dissonant harmony.

2 hours ago, GorboGorboze said:

The background singing sounds like some examples of Balkan Woman's Choirs that we heard a lot of here in the USA at some point in the 90's, if I recall the time period well. That choral sound appeared in several movies (my first introduction was in a Japanese Anime called Achera or something like that? someone here will surly know that movie's actual name). Anyway I love that strange haunting dissonant harmony.

My favorite recordings of that particular stuff are on the original "Les Mystère des Voix Bulgares" recording, released in the 70s - some of the recordings on that disc date back to the 50s. Lovely sound quality. You can get it as a four-CD set including more recent recordings. Also, check out this awesome field recording of women from Chechnya, singing in a similar style. The folk music from that region is amazing. 

https://petitesplanetes.bandcamp.com/album/nur-zhovkhar-songs-from-chechnya

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join Metal Forum

joinus-home.jpg

• Our picks

• Whichever tier of thrash metal you consigned Sacred Reich back in the 80's/90's they still had their moments.  "Ignorance" & "Surf Nicaragura" did a great job of establishing the band, whereas "The American Way" just got a little to comfortable and accessible (the title track grates nowadays) for my ears.  A couple more records better left forgotten about and then nothing for twenty three years.  2019 alone has now seen three releases from Phil Rind and co.  A live EP, a split EP with Iron Reagan and now a full length.

Notable addition to the ranks for the current throng of releases is former Machine Head sticksman, Dave McClean.  Love or hate Machine Head, McClean is a more than capable drummer and his presence here is felt from the off with the opening and title track kicking things off with some real gusto.  'Divide & Conquer' and 'Salvation' muddle along nicely, never quite reaching any quality that would make my balls tingle but comfortable enough.  The looming build to 'Manifest Reality' delivers a real punch when the song starts proper.  Frenzied riffs and drums with shots of lead work to hold the interest.

There's a problem already though (I know, I am such a fucking mood hoover).  I don't like Phil's vocals.  I never had if I am being honest.  The aggression to them seems a little forced even when they are at their best on tracks like 'Manifest Reality'.  When he tries to sing it just feels weak though ('Salvation') and tracks lose real punch.  Give him a riffy number such as 'Killing Machine' and he is fine with the Reich engine (probably a poor choice of phrase) up in sixth gear.  For every thrashy riff there's a fair share of rock edged, local bar act rhythm aplenty too.

Let's not poo-poo proceedings though, because overall I actually enjoy "Awakening".  It is stacked full of catchy riffs that are sticky on the old ears.  Whilst not as raw as perhaps the - brilliant - artwork suggests with its black and white, tattoo flash sheet style design it is enjoyable enough.  Yes, 'Death Valley' & 'Something to Believe' have no place here, saved only by Arnett and Radziwill's lead work but 'Revolution' is a fucking 80's thrash heyday throwback to the extent that if you turn the TV on during it you might catch a new episode of Cheers!

3/5
      • Reputation Points

• 10 replies
    • I
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/52-vltimas-something-wicked-marches-in/
      • Reputation Points

• 3 replies

• https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/48-candlemass-the-door-to-doom/
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • Full length number 19 from overkill certainly makes a splash in the energy stakes, I mean there's some modern thrash bands that are a good two decades younger than Overkill who can only hope to achieve the levels of spunk that New Jersey's finest produce here.  That in itself is an achievement, for a band of Overkill's stature and reputation to be able to still sound relevant four decades into their career is no mean feat.  Even in the albums weaker moments it never gets redundant and the energy levels remain high.  There's a real sense of a band in a state of some renewed vigour, helped in no small part by the addition of Jason Bittner on drums.  The former Flotsam & Jetsam skinsman is nothing short of superb throughout "The Wings of War" and seems to have squeezed a little extra out of the rest of his peers.

The album kicks of with a great build to opening track "Last Man Standing" and for the first 4 tracks of the album the Overkill crew stomp, bash and groove their way to a solid level of consistency.  The lead work is of particular note and Blitz sounds as sneery and scathing as ever.  The album is well produced and mixed too with all parts of the thrash machine audible as the five piece hammer away at your skull with the usual blend of chugging riffs and infectious anthems.  

There are weak moments as mentioned but they are more a victim of how good the strong tracks are.  In it's own right "Distortion" is a solid enough - if not slightly varied a journey from the last offering - but it just doesn't stand up well against a "Bat Shit Crazy" or a "Head of a Pin".  As the album draws to a close you get the increasing impression that the last few tracks are rescued really by some great solos and stomping skin work which is a shame because trimming of a couple of tracks may have made this less obvious. 

4/5
      • Reputation Points

• 4 replies