Favourite Debut Albums

RelentlessOblivion

Fairly certain we don't have a thread for this yet. So what are some of your favourite debut albums. We're talking strictly debut full-lengths for that band not the debut of a particular musician. Any and all genres and time periods count here but try to keep your list to a manageable length please?

Off the top of my head I go straight to:

Deicide - Deicide

Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden

Cathedral - Forest Of Equilibrium

Sanctuary - Refuge Denied

Darkthrone - Soulside Journey

As long as we're talking about official debut albums, and not early demos or EPs, I dig these - not an exhaustive list:

Ulver - Bergtatt 

At The Gates - The Red In The Sky Is Ours

Sacramentum - Far Away From The Sun 

Opeth - Orchid 

Dark Tranquillity - Skydancer

Furia - Martwa Polska Jesień

Swans - Filth

Atheist - Piece Of Time

Fear Factory - Soul Of A New Machine

Amorphis - The Karelian Isthmus

October Tide - Rain Without End 

Brutality - Screams Of Anguish 

+1 for Refuge Denied

There are some bands, like Lykathea Aflame and Grave Miasma, who changed their names after releasing albums. Would you count their first albums under the new names as debuts? 

Yeah we're talking debut full-lengths only here. I don't know if I would include debuts post name change or not. On the one hand to not do so rules out Celtic Frost and Triptykon. On the other hand if it's the same personnel it isn't really a new band is it? I say we count them.

Alrighty then.

Round 2:

Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris

A Canorous Quintet - Silence Of The World Beyond 

Grave Miasma - Odori Sepulcrorum

Abyssal - Denouement 

My Dying Bride - As The Flower Withers

Dead Congregation - Graves Of The Archangels 

Thantifaxath - Sacred White Noise

Atten Ash - The Hourglass 

Cradle Of Filth - The Principle Of Evil Made Flesh (don't care how silly it is, still a cool album)

Back to Times of Splendor by Disillusion

Aegisthus by Aberrant Vascular

In Dying Summer's Glow by Severnaja

The Weight of the World by 7days

Your Demons ~ Their Angels by Miseration

Fallout by Slumber

Shadow of Sorrow by My Silent Wake

self-titled by Ghost Ship Octavius

Aeons Past by Element

Portal of I by Ne Obliviscaris

Lamentations by Solstice

Opus Arise by Lost In Thought

Obsessions by Epysode

The Waspkeeper by Talanas

The Fragile Art of Existence by Control Denied

A Social Grace by Psychotic Waltz

The Sense Apparatus by Frantic Bleep

Acceleration by Age of Silence

Mutant Star by Demimonde

Dawning by Archetype

Hypercube by Angel of Disease

self-titled by Unhuman

Indoctrine by Blood Revolt

Oniric Metal by Lalu

Born of Slime by Slugdge

Evst by Hamferð

great topic, I really bent my mind for a few to try to recall which of my favorites were actually debuts. 

Dissection - The Somberlain easily one of my favorite albums of all time, not much needs to be verified about the greatness of this one. Favorite track: Mistress of Bleeding Sorrow

Immortal Bird - Empress/Abcess still hasnt left my stereo, and while I would have to say I do hold their first EP Akrasia closer to my heart for its more visceral and personal feel that was a tad lost in the production of EA, the quality is undeniable in this finely wrapped 1-2-punch of a package. Favorite track: To a Watery Grave

Acid Bath - When the Kite String Pops  an intensely influential album upon my life. Just about everything is perfect about it, this was when Dax Riggs had just the right amount of fury and youth to carry an album of this sinister energy but with a twisted poetic sense of intellect. Favorite track: God Machine or Dope Fiend

Destroyer 666 - Unchain the Wolves  to me, just a perfectly produced album. stylistically it was what helped form the glue between my love for most genres of metal, at the time i wasnt the biggest BM fan but the first-wave kinda sound with the epic thrashy moments really helped keep me in a position of curiosity, and thus today probably a decade after I first picked it up, I can say I've made the transition of a primarily black metal listener, which if I had to guess, all started with this album. Favorite track: Damnation's Pride

Autopsy - Severed Survival This album totally defines what made me love the early 90's death metal scene. Filthy production, bass tones covered in necrotic decaying afterbirth, tempo changes you felt good to hurt yourself to, vocals that you could only describe as disgusting, and one of the greatest album covers to ever grace music. Its just a shame what happened to these guys output after two albums.  Favorite track: Gasping for Air    NOTE: let it be known when I refer to the album cover, Im actually talking about the one released with Retribution for the Dead included, not the original art, which I feel most people remember more.

Edited by Black Milk

It's no laughing matter, the boy's got to learn. BAN is doing this out of love, that's why he has to hurt him, don't you see? 

Even given my current distaste for Entombed, I've got to include "Left Hand Path" here, as well as Grave's "Into The Grave".

A lack of flogging in a child's life only begins with incorrect metal facts, it's a gateway to a life of ditch digging, moral decay, and Scientology if it is not brought to a direct halt. Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
Fairly certain we don't have a thread for this yet. So what are some of your favourite debut albums. We're talking strictly debut full-lengths for that band not the debut of a particular musician. Any and all genres and time periods count here but try to keep your list to a manageable length please?

Off the top of my head I go straight to:

Deicide - Deicide

Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden

Cathedral - Forest Of Equilibrium

Sanctuary - Refuge Denied

Darkthrone - Soulside Journey

Right now I'm digging Necrot' first proper full length "Blood Offerings"

How have I missed this juicy little thread? 

I'm sure I've done a Requiem's Top 10 Debut Albums which everyone has learnt by heart (right? right??), but here are some at short notice. 

Dissection - 'The Somberlain'

Emperor - 'In the Nightside Eclipse' 

Anathema - 'Serenades' 

Tristania - 'Widow's Weeds'

Cradle of Filth - 'The Principle of Evil Made Flesh'

Moonspell - 'Wolfheart'

2 hours ago, Requiem said:

How have I missed this juicy little thread? 

I'm sure I've done a Requiem's Top 10 Debut Albums which everyone has learnt by heart (right? right??), but here are some at short notice. 

Dissection - 'The Somberlain'

Emperor - 'In the Nightside Eclipse' 

Anathema - 'Serenades' 

Tristania - 'Widow's Weeds'

Cradle of Filth - 'The Principle of Evil Made Flesh'

Moonspell - 'Wolfheart'

Relentless approves!

• 2 weeks later...

Caliban - A small boy and a grey heaven  

Pallbearer - Sorrow & Extinction 

Genghis Tron - Dead mountain mouth

Hatebreed - Satisfaction is the death of desire