How do you like your black metal?

HellKell

Australian Customs aren't keen on alive people coming through, let alone the dead. 

The last time we held a Requiem family reunion it was terrible. None of them could get through. Not Hans Requiem, the zombie from Germany, nor Wang Requiem, the Chinese werewolf. And don't even ask me about my distant cousin Hamish McRequiem, the Scottish vampire. 

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/4/2017 at 7:21 AM, Requiem said:

And don't even ask me about my distant cousin Hamish McRequiem, the Scottish vampire.

He dae no' eat, nor dae he sleep; and feeds he only on the black-tar heroin o' the living. His imposing keep may be found in the outskirts of Dundee near a drainage ditch, he dunnae keep a moat so much as a ring of dilapidated cars guarded by rottweilers.

9 hours ago, Iceni said:

He dae no' eat, nor dae he sleep; and feeds he only on the black-tar heroin o' the living. His imposing keep may be found in the outskirts of Dundee near a drainage ditch, he dunnae keep a moat so much as a ring of dilapidated cars guarded by rottweilers.

Haha yes! Hilarious.

Finally someone has acknowledged my post. My horns are raised in your general direction!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I like anything that sounds good (it's a terrible response, I know)!  Some of the best black metal bands IMO would be Dimmu Borgir, Cradle of Filth, Darkthrone, Watain, Witchery, Enslaved (not sure if they are really black metal any more per se), Dark Funeral, and Emperor (though I'm sure I've forgotten many others that I like).

EDIT: Can't believe I forgot Immortal!  Sons of Northern Darkness was like the only album I listened to when it came out.

I like anything that sounds good (it's a terrible response, I know)!  Some of the best black metal bands IMO would be Dimmu Borgir, Cradle of Filth, Darkthrone, Watain, Witchery, Enslaved (not sure if they are really black metal any more per se), Dark Funeral, and Emperor (though I'm sure I've forgotten many others that I like).

EDIT: Can't believe I forgot Immortal!  Sons of Northern Darkness was like the only album I listened to when it came out.
So the more well-produced, accessible, and symphonic style? I can get into some of that more than others.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Yes, exactly!  Symphonic and well-produced (exactly how I like my power metal, too)!  You are right, I tend to go for more accessible stuff because that is the stuff that I can share with my wife.  
There's not necessarily anything wrong with that if it's done well enough, but much of the time I feel like the pomp and circumstance from the symphonic elements derails the music from sounding harsh and savage like black metal should. I can't say I've heard much in the way of symphonic power metal that grabs my interest though, I'm all about the brawny 80's variety of power metal as opposed to the frilly shirt variety that sounds more like Styx than metal.

I think it is easier for me to say that I DON'T  like super- overproduced, multi-layered and textured BM. Sometimes it is just too much sonically for me. My fav BM bands are: BAthory, Celtic Frost, Hellhammer, Black Witchery, Emporer, Immortal, Kampfar, Goatwhore, 1349, Burzum, Hypocrisy, Impaled Nazerene , Behemoth...

I think it is easier for me to say that I DON'T  like super- overproduced, multi-layered and textured BM. Sometimes it is just too much sonically for me. My fav BM bands are: BAthory, Celtic Frost, Hellhammer, Black Witchery, Emporer, Immortal, Kampfar, Goatwhore, 1349, Burzum, Hypocrisy, Impaled Nazerene , Behemoth...

I get into all of those bands, but Hypocrisy was never a black metal band. The members had a side-project called The Abyss that had them playing black metal on different instruments than they play in Hypocrisy, and Peter has contributed to a number of other black metal bands like Marduk, Sorhin, and War, but Hypocrisy has always been a death metal or melodic death metal band (other than their short lived nu-metal phase on Catch 22).

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure if I'm describing this correctly but I like punk-ish(or thrashy) sounding Black Metal. Definitely love first wave. As far as second wave I dig Krypt, Darkthrone, Carpathian Forest, Gorgoroth all of which to me sound punk and or thrash influenced. Definitely appreciate atmospheric sounds but I tend to reach for Funeral Doom when I'm feeling that vibe.

I'm not sure if I'm describing this correctly but I like punk-ish(or thrashy) sounding Black Metal. Definitely love first wave. As far as second wave I dig Krypt, Darkthrone, Carpathian Forest, Gorgoroth all of which to me sound punk and or thrash influenced. Definitely appreciate atmospheric sounds but I tend to reach for Funeral Doom when I'm feeling that vibe.
Black metal's relationship with punk goes back to the beginning. Most bands don't take a heavy influence from it, but it's definitely noticeable as far back as Venom and Celtic Frost. I tend to dig that riffing approach with lots of attitude as well.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

low quality oldschools and epic black/dooms like summoning and Dreams of Nature are my favorites ; especially when at a winter night, alone in the mountain & these hard little hailstones which feel like oldschool black are hitting my face

On 1/20/2018 at 9:20 AM, Ikard said:

yeah right, i'm also not sure what's the relation here with oldschool punkrock. but I also find them similar. and it's not just me, if you look at darkthrone, there are a lot of stuff directly called punk even, and I recall Nergal once said that behemoth's music is continuation of oldschool punkrock in his interview for Satanica dvd. 

• 3 years later...

What I think a lot of people may not realize is that extreme metal as a whole, which basically began 40 years ago with the birth of 80's thrash was the combination of traditional early 80's heavy metal, Black Sabbath, Motorhead and early 80's punk, which while not metal was still the original "extreme" music. There would be no thrash metal and therefore no black or death metal as we know it if not for punk. The first wave of black metal and thrash bands of the 80's were all heavily influenced by punk and especially by the aggression of hardcore punk. Death metal sprung directly from thrash so all death metal has been influenced by punk. Second wave black metal grew out of the first wave and thrash so all black metal has been influenced by punk. Even currently with the proliferation of some of these less punky and more atmospheric or progressive or technical black and death bands, if it's still death or black enough to count as legit death or black metal then it has still been influenced by punk.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/12/2021 at 8:28 PM, GoatmasterGeneral said:

What I think a lot of people may not realize is that extreme metal as a whole, which basically began 40 years ago with the birth of 80's thrash was the combination of traditional early 80's heavy metal, Black Sabbath, Motorhead and early 80's punk, which while not metal was still the original "extreme" music. There would be no thrash metal and therefore no black or death metal as we know it if not for punk. The first wave of black metal and thrash bands of the 80's were all heavily influenced by punk and especially by the aggression of hardcore punk. Death metal sprung directly from thrash so all death metal has been influenced by punk. Second wave black metal grew out of the first wave and thrash so all black metal has been influenced by punk. Even currently with the proliferation of some of these less punky and more atmospheric or progressive or technical black and death bands, if it's still death or black enough to count as legit death or black metal then it has still been influenced by punk.

....WhiteNoise....totally agree with your assessment....but I would also add to it....another big influence was the proto-punk and krautrock bands from the late 1960's and early 1970's....they all provided distortion,dissonance, aggression, and DIY attitude and work ethic to the mix....

STOOGES

MC5

THE SONICS

BLUE CHEER

FAUST

ROCKET FROM THE TOMBS

.....and a few others, besides these six, that I don't lump in with the general list of 60's and 70's hard rock bands that everybody cites....

....I'd also add a few specific bands, from WhiteNoise's categories, that are highly influential in extreme metal...

G.I.S.M. 

DEEP WOUND

DISCHARGE

BLACK FLAG

AGNOSTIC FRONT

• 2 months later...

I'm not into the blackgaze shit or the "Cascadian" thing because it really is just black metal for hipsters 90% of the time. I also am not a fan of RABM as I do not like politics being injected into the music I listen to, because at that point it just becomes propaganda and political messaging rather than an escape from all of that stupid, pointless shit (which is why I listen to black metal to begin with). I'm not really a kvltist, I'm actually into more well known stuff and have LPs by Burzum, Emperor, Rotting Christ, Graveland, and Nokturnal Mortum. There are some more obscure bands I have like No Sun Rises & Goatmoon, but I haven't dug too deep into what's available from Hells Headbangers yet (but I plan on doing so in the future).

I mostly listen to the bands I listened to in High School and some that I've gotten into since then. I generally like halfway decent production value-- I can't listen to bedroom closet black metal, but I like the aesthetic of corpsepaint and badly-taken promo pictures with dudes carrying axes/swords. I prefer keys to be utilized as well, not really into the "raw" thing that much.

On 10/14/2021 at 10:46 PM, NokturnalBoredom said:

I also am not a fan of RABM as I do not like politics being injected into the music I listen to, because at that point it just becomes propaganda and political messaging rather than an escape from all of that stupid, pointless shit

Goatmoon,

🤔

I like most stuff, but with age I've sort of lost interest in many of the more mainstream BM bands, usually because they've been going for so long that they've lost the spark, or have evolved too far from what I consider good BM.

I've moved more towards the xeroxcore one-man band raw stuff like Lamp of Murmuur, The Suns journey through the night, Black Cilice etc., even though there's a huge signal to noise-ratio in that scene. A good middle ground between raw and polished bands are Spider-God and Reign imo. Atmospheric black metal (is that the same as Cascadian black metal??) can be good too, as long as they don't forget the riffs.

What's fun is that black metal has really become huge and diverse in the past 5-8 years, there's something for everyone. I'm particularly happy about the wave of indigenous black metal that has started to pop up. I think that's a interesting and viable way to move beyond the standard christ-raping themes and onto more socially relevant themes but still staying grounded in the rebellion and defiance of the second wave bands.