Alcoholics Associated

RelentlessOblivion

Whisky night coming up in my home town. I'm taking the Highland park 10 year Viking scars single malt. Was going to get another bottle of Islay but the Mrs would have been fuming when she saw the box arrive in the post. 🤬🤬🤬🤬The Highland park is good. My taste is off a bit but I'm getting the peat notes 😋

What are others favourite single malt scotches im just interested or just being nosy 😂

23 hours ago, KillaKukumba said:

Another thing that can cause issues is family members not seeing the problem, or flatly refusing to admit there is a problem. My mother-in-law watched her brother drink himself to death, he lived with her for about 8 years after his life started spiralling and she did all she could to help. None of her other five brothers and sisters helped a single bit, even down to two of them actually claiming he had no issues at all. It suited one of them down to a tee because she used the alcoholism she refused to admit he had to her own advantage and spent her time crying poor to him. He gave her tens of thousands of dollars and cashed in his government superannuation because he felt sorry for her. He died less than 12 months after cashing in his super with no trace of 90% of it.

What you say is quite common.  So easy to say you should do this and criticise. With my at times out of control cousin aunts and uncles offer opinions and advice but that's all they offer.very few apart from my mum help him.  Maybe if my cousins mum was still around things would be different. His dad does his best but there's no easy answers with him. I love my cousin but he's stubborn as a mule and he's scary whens he's on one. 6 feet 4 and well built. Hes good at heart really and always steps back before he causes proper damage. He had my dad's neck in one hand over nothing really. Gave it a fairly big squeeze. My dad was shaken. He's not fun when he's cross 

Oh dear about that cash. You hear crazy stories about similar stuff. There was one in paper where some goldigger convinced there  dad to change the will just before they died and give them all of it pretty much.

I was an alcoholic once complete with shakes but I'm pretty good these days.  I literally have a glass of wine or a couple of beers once or twice a week.  Occasionally I have a single malt scotch.

I don't drink enough to get drunk or even tipsy because I no longer like being drunk. Already so much of my life is outside of my control so being drunk doesn't fit my mental state.

My only addiction is Nescafe Blend 43 instant coffee, which I have roughly 4 cups a day..

26615995170846.jpg

22 hours ago, Dead1 said:

I was an alcoholic once complete with shakes but I'm pretty good these days.  I literally have a glass of wine or a couple of beers once or twice a week.  Occasionally I have a single malt scotch.

I don't drink enough to get drunk or even tipsy because I no longer like being drunk. Already so much of my life is outside of my control so being drunk doesn't fit my mental state.

My only addiction is Nescafe Blend 43 instant coffee, which I have roughly 4 cups a day..

26615995170846.jpg

You said it. Very wise So much of our lives is out of our control. Yeah it's kinda rubbish. That's why I like heavy metal especially the doomy stuff. I connect with it. Helps me stay positive listening to that, just knowing that suffering can be a shared experience, we all suffer but at different levels. I too don't like being drunk most the time but occasionally it's good  

Coffee. I can't take coffee these days. Caffeine does not agree with me. Makes me feel peculiar and bad.  😁

Hmmm I must be an animal :P

Although I don't drink anywhere near as much coffee now as I used to. Coffee was always free at most of the road houses and service stations I stopped at, especially at night. When I was doing multi-drop deliveries I could live on 10 or 12 cups a shift, but it certainly wasn't quality coffee. Towards the end of my time some of the roadhouses were putting in better brands but most of the time it was pretty cheap.

These days I can happily live off 3 or 4 a day.

I am an animal, I'll down a quart of strong coffee in the morning now that I'm back on the stuff. Honestly not good for me to have that much, I'd probably be better off with half that. I'll also drink some tea later in the day, with food - I love tea but can't handle it on an empty stomach.

6 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

Hmmm I must be an animal :P

Although I don't drink anywhere near as much coffee now as I used to. Coffee was always free at most of the road houses and service stations I stopped at, especially at night. When I was doing multi-drop deliveries I could live on 10 or 12 cups a shift, but it certainly wasn't quality coffee. Towards the end of my time some of the roadhouses were putting in better brands but most of the time it was pretty cheap.

These days I can happily live off 3 or 4 a day.

Did the pour-over cone method work out for you? 

On 11/26/2021 at 3:46 PM, MacabreEternal said:

We just ended up with some coffee from Harvey Nichols which I had no idea had even been ordered.  My horror over the potential price tag was cut short somewhat by the fact that it is a really nice brew to kick start the day with.  Just one cup like, I am not a fucking animal!

Glad you appreciate the premium Harvey Nichols coffee macabre. In my experience it's more frustrating when you get some premium stuff and you don't notice much of a step up in quality but that was only blue label Johnny walker 😣Then it's case of won't buy that again. But pleased you like the hn coffee. Definitely not your regular cup of Joe.

I want to try, because I'm a sucker for silly shit bands release, Zakk Wylde's Valhalla Java.reportedly the worlds strongest coffee. The reason I'm unlikely to try it is that the cheapest I can get it for here in Oz is $49 for a 360gm bag and that doesn't include postage. Deathwish Coffee are willing to send a 12oz bag ($15.99) here for $78USD postage!!

I don't know if 12 oz for $16 is reasonable in America, my rough conversion makes 12oz about 350grams. Deathwish coffee may or may not be premium stuff but the name and it's associates dictate the price. It's like Mustaine Wine etc, the name increases the price. Since Deathwish don't have a local distributor in Oz they are pretty free to charge what they like, and that includes charging more than $70 to ship something that weighs only 12oz.

In this country the stuff I buy from the supermarket is between $10 and $20 a kilo but I have no idea if it's premium, special, or just the crap someone swept up from the floor. Stuff from a coffee shop is usually dearer but I wouldn't have clue how much dearer.

I loathe weak coffee as well. I buy whole beans and grind them to order for my espresso (most Americans just buy pre-ground coffe for their drip coffee makers) but I'm way too cheap to pay $16 for 12oz of Deathwish coffee. I buy the store brand beans, Italian roast, 2 pound (32oz, 1 kg is 35oz) bag for $10 and by the time I get my steamed milk and shot of kalhua in there I can't taste any difference between that and the gourmet roaster stuff that costs 3 times as much. And I don't have to make a separate trip to the Daily Bean. I find that the way I fill the porta-filter and pull the shot affects the taste much more than which beans I'm using. 

I take mine black and it's gotta be at least moderately strong. I'll drink the odd bodega/diner coffee but it's not the real deal. Whole bean only at home. Mostly darker roasts, I don't like the tartness or acidity of the lighter coffees I've had. The Trader Joe's stuff (especially their Sumatra dark roast) is good, and it's about $8 for 12oz, which isn't terrible, but I totally love the dark roasts from two of our local places and I'm happy to support their business, for whatever that's worth. 

Before you guys showed up, we had custom rank names for longtime users here, and mine was "Give Me All Your Coffee". More than one new member confused it for my username. Not entirely wrong.

I had a girlfriend back in 1982/83 who drank her coffee black so I learned to drink mine black too. Took a little getting used to as I had always taken mine with milk & sugar, but after a couple of weeks I got used to it. That was a long time ago and I have long since reverted to my old ways. I don't drink it nearly as sweet as I once did, I don't add sugar just a little splash of Kalhua to take the edge off the bitterness and I could skip the sweetener altogether if I had to. But I need my half & half. I really don't think there's any way to make a flat white without some kind of milk and I wouldn't want to anyway. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm finishing off the litre bottle of supermarket tesco vodka. I will be pleased when it's finished.find it bit rough.  Spending that bit extra is worth it imo. I've got a Russian vodka from Petersburg on special offer so similar price but it's much smoother and I like it more for sipping. 

On 12/1/2021 at 11:37 PM, FatherAlabaster said:

I used to prefer it with half and half, but I can't really handle dairy in my coffee any more. I don't know why. It just started tasting weird and making me feel bad. 

Sounds like a plan to me father a. Stick to what works.thats what I do.  Is it just milk you've got an issue with or is it dairy in general. 

My wife bought me a bottle of 12 yr old Black Label Bundaberg Rum for my birthday and I feel the same way. I'll be happy when it's finished. I don't mind Bundy these days, but this bottle is just not something I'm into. It's weird because I don't mind the flavours it's supposed to have, but for me they don't work all in the same bottle.

I'm also a big fan of the non-alcoholic Bundaberg too, although to be fair the two products while made from the same sugars and across the road from each other they really only share the town name, the non-alcoholic stuff is pretty much based around ginger beer.

They introduced my then 3.5 year old to Bundaberg ginger beer when we were over there and he fucking loved it, he was hooked on it for the longest. Was probably at that time the first fizzy drink he had ever tried. We mostly just know giner ale over here in the states which is quite similar but not nearly as robust and flavorful as the ginger beer. They do actually sell Bundaberg's gb over here now, they even carried it in the supermarket I was going to up until we moved last year. So now he doesn't ever see that yellow box on the shelf anymore and fortunately since we moved he's stopped bugging me to get ginger beer for him. It was my own fault though, I bought some a few times to make mules with and the temptation was just too much for him. 

38 minutes ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Sounds like a plan to me father a. Stick to what works.thats what I do.  Is it just milk you've got an issue with or is it dairy in general. 

I'm mostly ok with dairy, love most dairy products, although I hate the taste of milk by itself. I really don't know what the deal is with milk in coffee. Just doesn't work for me anymore. 

We can usually get Bundaberg ginger beer and root beer at our local Target. There's actually a lot of decent ginger beer available nearby, including two local brewers who make pretty tasty brewed alcoholic ginger drinks (as opposed to mixed/flavored). Ginger Libation is my favorite. I can't fucking stand the Schweppes and Canada Dry ginger ale masquerade garbage.

Funny enough, I too have a bottle of rum I'm trying to get through and won't buy again - Goslings Black Seal. Thought I'd switch things up a bit. Not terrible but not worth repeating. 

We had to limit the kids ginger beer intake when they were younger. We were never super strict parents that said no lemonade, coke etc, and they never really asked for it that often. But one day my dad gave one of the kids a taste of his ginger beer and that was it. These day I more often feel like a ginger beer after a days work than I do a beer, but some of the flavours Bundaberg make are even better than the ginger beer, especially on a hot day. The trouble is that on a hot day I can down several bottles of Lemon Lime and Bitters, or Creaming Soda without thinking about it and I know it's way too much sugar.

18 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Funny enough, I too have a bottle of rum I'm trying to get through and won't buy again - Goslings Black Seal. Thought I'd switch things up a bit. Not terrible but not worth repeating. 

One of my problems is that sitting behind the bottle of rum I don't want is a bottle of Jack Daniels Tennessee Fire and I do want that but I've told myself I have to finish the rum first! Kind of like I have to earn the JD :)