Alcoholics Associated

RelentlessOblivion

On 2/9/2022 at 11:30 PM, RelentlessOblivion said:

Well I think moving forward I’ll just send out the shortlist of whiskeys I already like, still could be worse at least it wasn’t one of those stupid gimmick Game of Thrones whiskeys…

The shortlist is great. As it's still a surprise but you know you like all on the list. It's great until the other person does not get drink from the shortlist  🤬 

What were game of thrones whiskey like. Any good.? Which ones did you try?

On 2/11/2022 at 11:40 PM, KillaKukumba said:

I was drinking raspberry cider and then passionfruit and mango rum last night. Talk about a sugar hit, fell like IV sugar straight to the heart!

Thats a sugar hit.i get a similar hit from the sweets I eat. That sugar rush ☺️ and later crash🥱 which is more of an issue when driving. Falling asleep is not good when driving home 😁

You're right, but I can tell you from experience sugar, caffeine, nicotine, anything like that only mask tiredness. Having fallen asleep behind the wheel more times than I should admit to in 30 years of driving trucks the only cure for tiredness is sleeping.

Drinking the rum straight there was a nice kick of the rum, but on rocks the alcohol kick lessens and it actually just tastes like very strong cordial. It's a weird taste for alcohol.

2 hours ago, KillaKukumba said:

You're right, but I can tell you from experience sugar, caffeine, nicotine, anything like that only mask tiredness. Having fallen asleep behind the wheel more times than I should admit to in 30 years of driving trucks the only cure for tiredness is sleeping.

Drinking the rum straight there was a nice kick of the rum, but on rocks the alcohol kick lessens and it actually just tastes like very strong cordial. It's a weird taste for alcohol.

Yes to all that. I've improved alot for driving as I catch up on the zzz at the weekend. Made a world of difference. 

Think I will stick to rum no rocks then. Rhum agricole is worth trying if you haven't already. 

One drink I'm on more again is neat vodka. Used to drink that before I got on to whisky. Nothing much to taste from what I can taste  but it's smooth and a pleasent way to get drunk😉

I stopped falling asleep in the truck by retiring from truck driving :)

I don't really know why I even bought the bottle of rum. I don't hate rum, but I do prefer whiskey, even the stuff others call cheap crap. But for some reason if I do wander a bottle shop, which doesn't happen often I keep heading the the shelf with rum. Perhaps I have some weird and secret aspirations to be a pirate or something.

I usually wind up buying rum because it mixes ok and it's cheaper. Sometimes I tell myself I'm going to get something nice, but somehow when I'm standing there looking at the bottles, the extra $15 or so more for a bottle of decent whiskey always feels like a bridge too far.

I did find some of that Central Waters barrel aged stout earlier today, looking forward to cracking one open later.

6 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

The shortlist is great. As it's still a surprise but you know you like all on the list. It's great until the other person does not get drink from the shortlist  🤬 

What were game of thrones whiskey like. Any good.? Which ones did you try?

I tried the Johnnie White Walker which was a weird one for sure, distinctly below average unless you get it really cold and even then not worth buying. Also the Talasker select reserve which wasn’t too bad, but certainly isn’t as good as their other expressions.

21 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

I tried the Johnnie White Walker which was a weird one for sure, distinctly below average unless you get it really cold and even then not worth buying. Also the Talasker select reserve which wasn’t too bad, but certainly isn’t as good as their other expressions.

Good to here from you oblivion. I hope your doing good 

Chilling a whisky to improve it is standard practice for harsher whiskys but from  what I've drunk id not expect to chill any Johnny walker whisky to improve it especially a fancy special edition.  Shame that talisker was not much good either. 

How was 16 year old lagavulin. Any good? I saw a previous post saying you were getting some? I've enjoyed the 12 year old lagavulin some years ago now. It went quick😋🥃

Saving that one honestly, my Brother is getting married soon so I’m planning on keeping that bottle until the bucks party, Mostly because I know the rest of them will get plastered and generally I’m not about that life these days, so I’ll make it special in my own way.

mostly because I know the rest of them will get plastered and generally I’m not about that life these days, so I’ll make it special in my own way.

It was the gimmick of that Johnny Walker, not a particularly high alcohol content it was just something about the distilling and ageing process that made it better cold. 

If someone is only doing to get plastered they can do it on cheap shit :)

I was never a huge fan of Johnny Walker but for years they advertised a lot here so the name was everywhere. My grandfather wasn't a fan as far as we know either but when we cleaned out his house after he died we found a shit load of Johnny Walker stuff as well as other alcohol collectibles. The JW stuff wasn't worth much, only a few grand, but we didn't even know he had it.

5 hours ago, KillaKukumba said:

If someone is only doing to get plastered they can do it on cheap shit :)

I was never a huge fan of Johnny Walker but for years they advertised a lot here so the name was everywhere. My grandfather wasn't a fan as far as we know either but when we cleaned out his house after he died we found a shit load of Johnny Walker stuff as well as other alcohol collectibles. The JW stuff wasn't worth much, only a few grand, but we didn't even know he had it.

I’m not a fan either there are far better entry level scotchs

I'm having my first drinks this Friday after 3 weeks off it. It's not been hard. I feel better for it. Also will make getting drunk a bit cheaper I'm hoping. Just the smell ought to do it now😂

I'm having my first drinks this Friday after 3 weeks off it. It's not been hard. I feel better for it. Also will make getting drunk a bit cheaper I'm hoping. Just the smell ought to do it now😂

On 2/18/2022 at 12:08 AM, KillaKukumba said:

A cheap drunk, there are guys in bars always searching for one of those :)

Even after 3 weeks of no sauce still took near on half a bottle to get me tipsey. I'm not so lightweight after all. No heavyweight either. Ozzy probably has a 2 bottles a night. Not beer but JD.  😊

On 2/19/2022 at 3:45 AM, markm said:

Old Forester 1920

Old Forester 1920 | Total Wine & More

Was this any good mark m. Was it worth it? What proof is this out interest. 

I had lapraiog quarter cask single malt other day.i liked the  bigger flavours from the whisky from being quarter cask and for £25 it's good value. 

On 2/19/2022 at 9:40 PM, KillaKukumba said:

No matter what Ozzy has he probably doesn't remember it :)

Except water from the tap he might remember that unless he has vodka coming out of those as well😁

4 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Was this any good mark m. Was it worth it? What proof is this out interest. 

I had lapraiog quarter cask single malt other day.i liked the  bigger flavours from the whisky from being quarter cask and for £25 it's good value. 

Except water from the tap he might remember that unless he has vodka coming out of those as well😁

Hey BDF, it's on the higher end price wise but it's one of my favorite high octane bourbons-115 proof baby! Definitely not an every day kind of pour, big bold and complex. Really good. 

On 2/21/2022 at 4:11 AM, markm said:

Hey BDF, it's on the higher end price wise but it's one of my favorite high octane bourbons-115 proof baby! Definitely not an every day kind of pour, big bold and complex. Really good. 

Thats high proof allright mark m.   I've had amazingly smooth 160 proof rums although I'd imagine you get more flavour from the 115 proof. Sounds like a slow sipper so the flavours can be appreciated.am I right? Did you drink it neat or with water or ice.

Would you buy it again. 

On 2/13/2022 at 10:24 PM, KillaKukumba said:

I stopped falling asleep in the truck by retiring from truck driving :)

I don't really know why I even bought the bottle of rum. I don't hate rum, but I do prefer whiskey, even the stuff others call cheap crap. But for some reason if I do wander a bottle shop, which doesn't happen often I keep heading the the shelf with rum. Perhaps I have some weird and secret aspirations to be a pirate or something.

That's a good way to stop yourself falling asleep while driving a truck. I don't have to slap myself in the face repeatedly whilst driving to work anymore as now catch up on sleep at weekend. Obvious really. 🥱

I drink the cheap crap too 🥃😂which most people can only drink with mixers.i like the famous grouse and Whyte and Mackays, teachers I'd get again but Tesco don't sell it🤬 What are the cheap crap whisky brands you go for😉

Also I appreciate the fancy stuff more by drinking this as my regular sipper.   

Yo ho ho re the rum☠️

9 times out of 10 if I'm buying something to drink I'll just buy Jack Daniels. It's at the reasonable end of the price bracket, it's easy to find and I don't need to spend time staring at shelves making choices like a teeny bopper staring at the make-up counter wondering which shade of eye-liner her friends will like best. I don't care if other people don't like it, I don't care if others want more expensive shit, I drink for myself not to look different in some else's eyes.