Jump to content

Alcoholics Associated


RelentlessOblivion
 Share

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

 

One of my problems is that sitting behind the bottle of rum I don't want is a bottle of Jack Daniels Tennessee Fire and I do want that but I've told myself I have to finish the rum first! Kind of like I have to earn the JD :)

It's like I tell myself with all crappy jobs, the only way out is through!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I decided to try and finish the Rum on Saturday night. There was about 150ml in the bottle and I thought I'd knock it off in two drinks but I didn't make it. If I had coke in the house I'd have mixed killed it and be done with it but I don't often have coke in the house. So alas there is still about a double shot left in the bottle which I'll have to stomach one day soon.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/11/2021 at 12:34 AM, FatherAlabaster said:

I'm mostly ok with dairy, love most dairy products, although I hate the taste of milk by itself. I really don't know what the deal is with milk in coffee. Just doesn't work for me anymore. 

 

We can usually get Bundaberg ginger beer and root beer at our local Target. There's actually a lot of decent ginger beer available nearby, including two local brewers who make pretty tasty brewed alcoholic ginger drinks (as opposed to mixed/flavored). Ginger Libation is my favorite. I can't fucking stand the Schweppes and Canada Dry ginger ale masquerade garbage.

Funny enough, I too have a bottle of rum I'm trying to get through and won't buy again - Goslings Black Seal. Thought I'd switch things up a bit. Not terrible but not worth repeating. 

Father a good to hear from you. It's funny about you not liking milk taste and in coffee. At least your not dairy intolerant. I've cut down on wheat because too much does not agree with me. I know I'm aging when I say things like this😃

What dont you like about Canada dry ginger ale. Is it too sweet. That's good you liked the bunderberg ginger root beer. Is that alcoholic?  

Yeah probably rum you mention is better than own brand stuff I've got. Good idea not to buy stuff you don't like that much. Still good idea to try different brands as finding a gem is worth it. I was impressed with Johnny walker red label. I just liked it alot and it's one of there budget ranges

You mentioned that Brazilian rum style drink. That's one Im going to try in new year. Apparently some reckon it was what inspired rum making in the Caribbean. I'm intrigued about history and if drink is any good too😁

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Father a good to hear from you. It's funny about you not liking milk taste and in coffee. At least your not dairy intolerant. I've cut down on wheat because too much does not agree with me. I know I'm aging when I say things like this😃

What dont you like about Canada dry ginger ale. Is it too sweet. That's good you liked the bunderberg ginger root beer. Is that alcoholic?  

Yeah probably rum you mention is better than own brand stuff I've got. Good idea not to buy stuff you don't like that much. Still good idea to try different brands as finding a gem is worth it. I was impressed with Johnny walker red label. I just liked it alot and it's one of there budget ranges

You mentioned that Brazilian rum style drink. That's one Im going to try in new year. Apparently some reckon it was what inspired rum making in the Caribbean. I'm intrigued about history and if drink is any good too😁

 

 

Ah yeah, I love a good caipirinha. Haven't had one in years. The liquor is called cachaça, and a good one will actually taste like sugar cane. More of a summer drink but I guess anything goes for new years. The rum I usually get is actually a little cheaper than Goslings but I prefer it - Brugal añejo. Goslings is too molasses-flavored in a way I don't want, and it makes me feel a little weird.

Those big-brand ginger ales just do everything wrong. Too sweet, full of corn syrup, not spicy at all, and the flavor is the most neutered representation of ginger I can imagine. I could probably hang bottles of it over my door to ward off vampires... they're supposed to have good taste after all. Macabre is probably too savvy to be fooled by that trick though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Ah yeah, I love a good caipirinha. Haven't had one in years. The liquor is called cachaça, and a good one will actually taste like sugar cane. More of a summer drink but I guess anything goes for new years. The rum I usually get is actually a little cheaper than Goslings but I prefer it - Brugal añejo. Goslings is too molasses-flavored in a way I don't want, and it makes me feel a little weird.

Those big-brand ginger ales just do everything wrong. Too sweet, full of corn syrup, not spicy at all, and the flavor is the most neutered representation of ginger I can imagine. I could probably hang bottles of it over my door to ward off vampires... they're supposed to have good taste after all. Macabre is probably too savvy to be fooled by that trick though.

So that's how you spell that. Haven't had one since Ipanema years ago and reckon having one anywhere else would be a let down.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/13/2021 at 1:42 AM, FatherAlabaster said:

Ah yeah, I love a good caipirinha. Haven't had one in years. The liquor is called cachaça, and a good one will actually taste like sugar cane. More of a summer drink but I guess anything goes for new years. The rum I usually get is actually a little cheaper than Goslings but I prefer it - Brugal añejo. Goslings is too molasses-flavored in a way I don't want, and it makes me feel a little weird.

Those big-brand ginger ales just do everything wrong. Too sweet, full of corn syrup, not spicy at all, and the flavor is the most neutered representation of ginger I can imagine. I could probably hang bottles of it over my door to ward off vampires... they're supposed to have good taste after all. Macabre is probably too savvy to be fooled by that trick though.

Good one, macabre would put nosepeg on his nose. Would not put off a vampire like him. 😂Very savvy he is. Thanks for ginger beer info

Im not a big mollasses fan either. I'd rather drink something else. My brother and sister love the flavour though. 

I'm going to but that on my list. CachacA. order some for new year or spring. Still got a litre of Russian vodka and  litre of Whyte and Mackay to drink plus the slightly rough vodka I've already mentioned 😂.   

With alcohol same here. I personally go for taste notes. Sounds like bullshit but works for me for the fancy bottles. I had a more expensive Rhum agricole for my birthday sent back because it was not right tasting notes. I'm pleased I did.cheaper one was what I wanted.  My wife thought I was very rude. Perhaps I was a little. 😃 I didn't do a John McEnroe. That would have been ultra rude 😁 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm stocked up with 1 litre of Whyte and Mackay scotch whisky 🥃 and a litre of Russian vodka. Will keep me going well in to new year as don't need the hangovers so I've Cut back how much I consume

I'm stocked up with 1 litre of Whyte and Mackay scotch whisky 🥃 and a litre of Russian vodka. Will keep me going well in to new year as don't need the hangovers so I've Cut back how much I consume

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Christmas present😁

Laphroaig quarter cask. 

Made in 1/4 size barrels like they did in the days of old. Apparently gets more flavour from increased oak barrel  contact🤗

It really gets a long finish compared to standard size barrel maturation and I reckon that may be down to using the quarter oak casks. I've had extra study samples to make sure 😁

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Our contractor at work left us all lager beer and wine for Christmas. The krone nbourg 1664 lager I like alot.  The red wine has been harder work than I was expecting. I used to like this but not so much this time and it's not a bad bottle as is Australian Shiraz.  I'm pleased its drunk and I can drink more whisky.🥃

Out of interest what are people's alcoholic drinks there just not liking much or have never liked? Baileys is mine. Never liked whisky and creme mix 🙁.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One thing I do miss about doing deliveries and driving the truck is the number of Christmas/Freebie presents I got. Deliver a guy his antique tractor from two states away without mishap and he'd more happily throw a few beers your way for the efforts. Get a farmer's prize bull home after he's been out servicing some hopeful Mummy cows and they'd throw you a bottle of whiskey. But the best effort was delivering bread in the wee hours of the morning. I'd see the milk truck, so for a few loaves bread, crumpets, muffins or hot cakes I'd get a weeks supply of milk, cream, flavour milks etc. I'd see the chicken man so the same bread products came out of my truck in exchange for a few kilos of chicken. Occasionally I'd also run into the fruit and veg man and he'd happily offer a similar deal and my shopping would be nearly done for the week.

I don't drink anything but whiskey and the occasional cider or rum now, so I guess you could say I don't like anything else. :) I used to work for a brother and sister who owned a winery and they gave away free bottles for a job well done, but that wasn't a good job because I don't drink wine and never have. I also opened a beer the other night to make a beer batter for some shark I was cooking and every time the smell hit me it was a reminder that I wont be drinking whatever is left in the case.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/16/2022 at 11:59 PM, KillaKukumba said:

One thing I do miss about doing deliveries and driving the truck is the number of Christmas/Freebie presents I got. Deliver a guy his antique tractor from two states away without mishap and he'd more happily throw a few beers your way for the efforts. Get a farmer's prize bull home after he's been out servicing some hopeful Mummy cows and they'd throw you a bottle of whiskey. But the best effort was delivering bread in the wee hours of the morning. I'd see the milk truck, so for a few loaves bread, crumpets, muffins or hot cakes I'd get a weeks supply of milk, cream, flavour milks etc. I'd see the chicken man so the same bread products came out of my truck in exchange for a few kilos of chicken. Occasionally I'd also run into the fruit and veg man and he'd happily offer a similar deal and my shopping would be nearly done for the week.

I don't drink anything but whiskey and the occasional cider or rum now, so I guess you could say I don't like anything else. :) I used to work for a brother and sister who owned a winery and they gave away free bottles for a job well done, but that wasn't a good job because I don't drink wine and never have. I also opened a beer the other night to make a beer batter for some shark I was cooking and every time the smell hit me it was a reminder that I wont be drinking whatever is left in the case.

 

I agree  definitely a disappointing present from your work with the wine if you don't like it. Id feel disappointed when I'd get some beers at Christmas from previous job but whisky would have been different story.  I dont mind the fizzy wine if it's a freebie of course. 😁 Never been given that

Maybe I'd liked the red wine more if I'd chilled it. I've mixed it with coca cola once but that I didn't like😫 

You could have rum beer or whisky beer mix. I like these somewhat but at least those beers wouldn't go to waste. Not sure whisky wine would work ☺️

Whisky rum cider why not if you like it. Mine is whisky,vodka, sugar cane rum. The vodka reminds me how much I like the whisky but I do like vodka.

 

Can't beat a freebie that's for sure. 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Maybe I'd liked the red wine more if I'd chilled it.

 

Somewhere am entire generation of French sommeliers are centrifuging in their graves. No, you're not supposed to chill red wine. It usually taste like ass and kills all the flavor nuances. If you don't like the acidity of red wine perhaps a sweet dessert wine might be an option. Or just drink Port LOL!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Sheol said:

Somewhere am entire generation of French sommeliers are centrifuging in their graves. No, you're not supposed to chill red wine. It usually taste like ass and kills all the flavor nuances. If you don't like the acidity of red wine perhaps a sweet dessert wine might be an option. Or just drink Port LOL!

Pinot noir from Willamette Valley, Oregon is what converted me after many years and many failed attempts at acquiring a taste for wine. Just like with music, sometimes you just have to keep trying until you find the right one that opens the door.

And chilled red wine sounds disgusting. Cold wine in general sounds unappealing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Never liked wine, I'm more of a beer guy. Wine always tasted like grape juice to me, for 40 years I would just pass if offered some. But my father in law converted me, he came to visit for 3 weeks when my wife was pregnant and he drinks a bottle and a half of cheap ass Barossa Valley Shiraz every night. By the end of the 3 weeks I'd be sitting there with him drinking a bottle and a half of my own. That shit is fucking earthy, full-bodied and damn tasty. I never knew wine could taste so good, it's the only wine I'll drink. And yes part of the secret is don't chill it, just drink it room temp like whiskey. I don't even chill my porters and stouts anymore, you actually get more flavor if it's not so cold. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Never liked wine, I'm more of a beer guy. Wine always tasted like grape juice to me, for 40 years I would just pass if offered some. But my father in law converted me, he came to visit for 3 weeks when my wife was pregnant and he drinks a bottle and a half of cheap ass Barossa Valley Shiraz every night. By the end of the 3 weeks I'd be sitting there with him drinking a bottle and a half of my own. That shit is fucking earthy, full-bodied and damn tasty. I never knew wine could taste so good, it's the only wine I'll drink. And yes part of the secret is don't chill it, just drink it room temp like whiskey. I don't even chill my porters and stouts anymore, you actually get more flavor if it's not so cold. 

Australian Shiraz is good shit. I prefer them to other reds when I can get them. Pinots would be second. Never ventured into cabs.

Had 3-4 fingers of Bullet Distillers choice tonight. Mighty tasty on a frigid Florida evening. You folk in the frozen tundra would have a good laugh, but the government and schools here closed today due to a high of 35° F and a "potential" for freezing rain. It was in the upper 30's today but no freezing rain. Was fucking cold though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


  • Join Metal Forum

    joinus-home.jpg

  • Our picks

    • Whichever tier of thrash metal you consigned Sacred Reich back in the 80's/90's they still had their moments.  "Ignorance" & "Surf Nicaragura" did a great job of establishing the band, whereas "The American Way" just got a little to comfortable and accessible (the title track grates nowadays) for my ears.  A couple more records better left forgotten about and then nothing for twenty three years.  2019 alone has now seen three releases from Phil Rind and co.  A live EP, a split EP with Iron Reagan and now a full length.

      Notable addition to the ranks for the current throng of releases is former Machine Head sticksman, Dave McClean.  Love or hate Machine Head, McClean is a more than capable drummer and his presence here is felt from the off with the opening and title track kicking things off with some real gusto.  'Divide & Conquer' and 'Salvation' muddle along nicely, never quite reaching any quality that would make my balls tingle but comfortable enough.  The looming build to 'Manifest Reality' delivers a real punch when the song starts proper.  Frenzied riffs and drums with shots of lead work to hold the interest.


      There's a problem already though (I know, I am such a fucking mood hoover).  I don't like Phil's vocals.  I never had if I am being honest.  The aggression to them seems a little forced even when they are at their best on tracks like 'Manifest Reality'.  When he tries to sing it just feels weak though ('Salvation') and tracks lose real punch.  Give him a riffy number such as 'Killing Machine' and he is fine with the Reich engine (probably a poor choice of phrase) up in sixth gear.  For every thrashy riff there's a fair share of rock edged, local bar act rhythm aplenty too.

      Let's not poo-poo proceedings though, because overall I actually enjoy "Awakening".  It is stacked full of catchy riffs that are sticky on the old ears.  Whilst not as raw as perhaps the - brilliant - artwork suggests with its black and white, tattoo flash sheet style design it is enjoyable enough.  Yes, 'Death Valley' & 'Something to Believe' have no place here, saved only by Arnett and Radziwill's lead work but 'Revolution' is a fucking 80's thrash heyday throwback to the extent that if you turn the TV on during it you might catch a new episode of Cheers!

      3/5
      • Reputation Points

      • 10 replies
    • I
      • Reputation Points

      • 1 reply
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/52-vltimas-something-wicked-marches-in/
      • Reputation Points

      • 3 replies

    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/48-candlemass-the-door-to-doom/
      • Reputation Points

      • 1 reply
    • Full length number 19 from overkill certainly makes a splash in the energy stakes, I mean there's some modern thrash bands that are a good two decades younger than Overkill who can only hope to achieve the levels of spunk that New Jersey's finest produce here.  That in itself is an achievement, for a band of Overkill's stature and reputation to be able to still sound relevant four decades into their career is no mean feat.  Even in the albums weaker moments it never gets redundant and the energy levels remain high.  There's a real sense of a band in a state of some renewed vigour, helped in no small part by the addition of Jason Bittner on drums.  The former Flotsam & Jetsam skinsman is nothing short of superb throughout "The Wings of War" and seems to have squeezed a little extra out of the rest of his peers.

      The album kicks of with a great build to opening track "Last Man Standing" and for the first 4 tracks of the album the Overkill crew stomp, bash and groove their way to a solid level of consistency.  The lead work is of particular note and Blitz sounds as sneery and scathing as ever.  The album is well produced and mixed too with all parts of the thrash machine audible as the five piece hammer away at your skull with the usual blend of chugging riffs and infectious anthems.  


      There are weak moments as mentioned but they are more a victim of how good the strong tracks are.  In it's own right "Distortion" is a solid enough - if not slightly varied a journey from the last offering - but it just doesn't stand up well against a "Bat Shit Crazy" or a "Head of a Pin".  As the album draws to a close you get the increasing impression that the last few tracks are rescued really by some great solos and stomping skin work which is a shame because trimming of a couple of tracks may have made this less obvious. 

      4/5
      • Reputation Points

      • 4 replies
×
×
  • Create New...