Alcoholics Associated

RelentlessOblivion

I like both Backwoods Bastard and Dirty Bastard, but it's been a few years since I had either. Scotch ales can get a little too butterscotch-caramel-ish for my taste. Sometimes they hit the spot and sometimes they feel like a chore. The last good barrel aged beers I had were some limited release stouts from Burial that my brother brought over when we were finally able to visit NC last spring. Those were fucking magic potions, some of the best strong dark beers I've ever had, and not distributed up here at all to my knowledge. 

Scotch Ales, even just the regular ones, are probably my favorite style of beer. Skull Splitter is the absolute shit! Backwoods Bastard was one of the first Founders barrel aged beers I was ever able to find, and is still one of my all time favorites from them. If you can find either of them (haven't seen them around here in a while) both Old Curmudgeon Old Ale and Curmudgeon's Better Half Old Ale are damn good too, though I'd recommend giving them a year in your cellar if you really want them to shine.

Only been getting Central Waters in my area for a couple of years now, but i have yet to see any of their barrel aged stuff show up. Hoping that eventually changes

If I remember right, I think CBS/KBS actually uses a different base beer than Founder's Breakfast Stout, so it's actually not an oatmeal stout. I think it's just an American strong stout

3 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Backwoods Bastard is my favorite as well. Don't think it's a RIS though, I think it's barrel aged Scotch Ale.

Founders Backwoods Bastard

Yeah it's a Scotch ale a.k.a. Wee Heavy. Wish I could find it again. By the way, that's exactly how I picture you up in the NJ woods 😆

32 minutes ago, SurgicalBrute said:

Scotch Ales, even just the regular ones, are probably my favorite style of beer. Skull Splitter is the absolute shit! Backwoods Bastard was one of the first Founders barrel aged beers I was ever able to find, and is still one of my all time favorites from them. If you can find either of them (haven't seen them around here in a while) both Old Curmudgeon Old Ale and Curmudgeon's Better Half Old Ale are damn good too, though I'd recommend giving them a year in your cellar if you really want them to shine.

Only been getting Central Waters in my area for a couple of years now, but i have yet to see any of their barrel aged stuff show up. Hoping that eventually changes

If I remember right, I think CBS/KBS actually uses a different base beer than Founder's Breakfast Stout, so it's actually not an oatmeal stout. I think it's just an American strong stout

I really liked the Weyerbacher 22nd anniversary Scotch ale. It was a limited run of course. Had a few pints on tap but never found it in stores.

I always go for a Scotch ale when I can find them, which isn't often around here. I haven't had Skullsplitter or Curmudgeon in quite a while. I have to say that I do like a IPA now and then, but fuck it's all they sell around here anymore.

27 minutes ago, navybsn said:

I really liked the Weyerbacher 22nd anniversary Scotch ale. It was a limited run of course. Had a few pints on tap but never found it in stores.

I always go for a Scotch ale when I can find them, which isn't often around here. I haven't had Skullsplitter or Curmudgeon in quite a while. I have to say that I do like a IPA now and then, but fuck it's all they sell around here anymore.

I think Weyerbacher has gone through some real financial issues over the last few years. They stopped making at least some of their base beers like Old Heathen, and some of the really good beers like Sunday Morning Stout and Insanity I haven't seen in my area in a few years. I think Sunday Morning Stout got reduced to a pub only release a year or two ago, even before Covid.

Not sure who you've got available down your way, but I know you mentioned Oskar Blue a couple of times...for scotch ales...Old Chub is really good and I know Cigar City is a Florida Brewery, so Big Sound is probably out there too. If you get Bells...their "Christmas Ale" is actually Scotch Ale, and that's a pretty good beer as well.

Looks like you guys might be getting Thirsty Dog brewing down there sometime soon, so keep an eye out for Wulver as well

35 minutes ago, SurgicalBrute said:

I think Weyerbacher has gone through some real financial issues over the last few years. They stopped making at least some of their base beers like Old Heathen, and some of the really good beers like Sunday Morning Stout and Insanity I haven't seen in my area in a few years. I think Sunday Morning Stout got reduced to a pub only release a year or two ago, even before Covid.

Not sure who you've got available down your way, but I know you mentioned Oskar Blue a couple of times...for scotch ales...Old Chub is really good and I know Cigar City is a Florida Brewery, so Big Sound is probably out there too. If you get Bells...their "Christmas Ale" is actually Scotch Ale, and that's a pretty good beer as well.

Looks like you guys might be getting Thirsty Dog brewing down there sometime soon, so keep an eye out for Wulver as well

I didn't know that about Weyerbacher. Don't see them much down here. Just happen to run across it a few years ago. Can't say I've had anything else from them. We do get Oskar Blue. I like Old Chubb and the Ten Fiddy stout. I see Highland Ales Gaelic Ale quite a bit and I like it too. Cigar City is widely available, but I've not seen Big Sound. I usually get their Tocaboga (red ale) or Marshal Zukhov (Russian Imperial). I do see Bell's once in a while but it's usually Two Hearted which is meh. Abita is another fairly local brand (New Orleans) but I've not really had anything from there I like. For my money, the best Florida brewery is Oyster City. All of their beers are fantastic, but Hooter Brown (honey brown ale) is phenomenal. Their Mangrove (Mango IPA) is my favorite IPA ever. Not sure they are widely distributed yet, but if you see anything from them you won't be disappointed. The had a peanut butter porter last time we were at the Tap Room that my wife won't stop obsessing over. Regularly asks me to drive 3.5 hours one-way to get her a growler or 2. Fortunately, they're opening a new location only an hour away.

Real Ales out of Texas has a phenomenal Wee Heavy and Russian Imperial too, but I've only ever been able to get those in Texas. Have a couple of bombers in the beer cellar as we speak right next to the barrel aged Worldwide Stout doing their time.

17 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Wait a minute, weren't you the guy telling us a couple months back that Australian and US dollars weren't really comparable? $30+ is a heck of a lot more than other stuff even around the same ABV... more alcoholic beers are generally more expensive, sure, but the local IPAs up here range around $14-20 for a 4 pack of tall boys, and I can get a nice palatable 6-pack of something like Sierra Nevada for around $10. There are beers that it's worth paying the premium for when I can afford it, which definitely isn't all the time, but oftentimes the really good and expensive ones are also the ones that stay on the shelves way past their prime.

I guess I see how you could need help with that, so yeah, sure thing man :)

I  don't like to spend more than $12 for a six pack of craft beer there are exceptions. 

2 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Filing this one under "Stop Fucking Around And Buy The Good Stuff While You Have A Chance". Bottled in the happy, carefree laff riot that was 2019.

Delicious. Worth the money.

Ylmttqf.jpg

Oh, that looks good. It's hot and humid here. I went for a run this morning and took my wife out for a walk after lunch. Beer o'clock can't come soon enough.

1 minute ago, Thatguy said:

Oh, that looks good. It's hot and humid here. I went for a run this morning and took my wife out for a walk after lunch. Beer o'clock can't come soon enough.

It's really good. Maybe better because it's been so long since I had a good stout. Not in the "refreshing hot day post-run" category for me, but perfect for the impending winter doom we're facing tomorrow.

On 1/24/2022 at 11:47 PM, markm said:

I'm fairly new to Whisky myself. I started picking up the odd bottle here and there when the pandemic hit. Actually got some good recommendations for GG and Navy and then started researching.

I pretty much started looking for sales and grabbing the better known bottles first and eventually made it up to pricier offerings to see if I could taste the difference mostly from online reviews. I was working a lot with my kayaking side hustle and making good tips. Most of the more pricey bottles I've grabbed I've been pleased with with a few exceptions that I didn't think were worth it.

I feel like I'm still developing my tastes. In my unrefined way, I'd day smooth and higher proof hit a sweet spot.  Lately been checking out ryes.

Some of these boutique bourbons are definitely too sweet for my preference. I like the Old Forester 1920 I mentioned but several of their other offerings are overly sweet for me. And Knob Creek is almost as good for less %. Knob Creek Rye small batch is tasty as hell. And they're 12 year is awesome. 

I liked Jefferson. Their aged at sea gets well reviewed but it's not that much better than their small batch or reserve to justify over $70. It's better but their reserve is pretty darn good as well. If I think I used some tip money from my summer gig for that one. 

I wouldn't mind picking up some more Four Roses that Navy mentioned-that one's pretty good.  

Uncle Nearest 1856 100 proof by Jack Daniels was good. Picked that one up on sale. They have a less expensive 1884 at 94 proof which was also a good pour. 

I've got a pretty good liquor store that gets a decent variety of whiskies and craft beer and they'll often hip to stuff-"hey we just got some _____ in that's  a good buy"-that kind of thing. 

Oh yeah and good socks in the winter-primo! I use them for kayaking as well-Marino wool which dries quick-hit them up at R.E.I. when on sale all the time.

Markm cool to hear from you. I've got COVID so it's proving a welcome distraction. 

Ive been buying fancy whisky occasionally for long time but I don't buy many a year. I know more about scotch whisky so thanks for bourbon information. Will likely go for a high rye one like the knob creek when I'm back in funds but thanks for info. Uncle nearest is interesting read. It's not owned by Jack Daniels from what I read but it's got alot of connection to jack Daniels.   

Thanks for socks tips. 

I've got a good chocolate shop which is great however no real great alcohol shop other than online. 

With the kayaking are you instructor? Am I right in assuming you take groups of people for various excursions? I did white water kayaking along time ago in Nepal. It was certainly exciting. 

Have you heard of basil Hayden bourbon. The Kentucky straight bourbon got good reviews.  When I googled bourbon types there's 3 main types high rye, high wheat and traditional. Which is your favourite of the types. Alabaster from comment I'm guessing is a rye fan. I've definitely liked high wheat such as makers mark. 

On 1/25/2022 at 4:26 AM, KillaKukumba said:

Because I don't drink much these days alcohol has little value to me and I do refuse to pay a high price for stuff no matter what the brand name. But I don't think less of people who do go after brand name stuff, we all have our vices we like to spend money on but my days of spending $30 on a 4 pack of anything alcoholic are long gone.

My wife came home and told me about the new Bundaberg non-alcoholic flavours now being sold with Bundy rum in them and how they were only $30 for a 6 pack. I said to her I'd rather pay $4.50 for a 4 pack without the booze in it. Even she thinks I'm being offensive when I tell her I don't want to drink alcohol :)

I'm with you re not drinking so much these days. I've had some health issues so I've cut back to drinking once or twice a week. No drinks this week as I definitely need to have no booze weeks. Had french fries 🍟 instead. With lots of ketchup. Ohhhhhhhh. Living on the edge 😁

3 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

I'm with you re not drinking so much these days. I've had some health issues so I've cut back to drinking once or twice a week. No drinks this week as I definitely need to have no booze weeks. Had french fries 🍟 instead. With lots of ketchup. Ohhhhhhhh. Living on the edge 😁

I suppose in some ways my ulcer did help me cut back even further, but that only flares up occasionally, usually after too much salt or citrus. However I'd cut down a heap more than that years ago and I don't really know why. I think I just got sick of the high price of booze, then got sick of drinking beer, then got sick of drinking cider, then prices went up again and confirmed my thoughts so I just gradually went back to bourbon or whiskey only. Now I have half a cartoon of beer that's been sitting here more than 12 months and I only open when I want to make a beer batter for some fish, even then the smell of the open can reminds me why I gave up drinking the stuff.

19 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Markm cool to hear from you. I've got COVID so it's proving a welcome distraction. 

Ive been buying fancy whisky occasionally for long time but I don't buy many a year. I know more about scotch whisky so thanks for bourbon information. Will likely go for a high rye one like the knob creek when I'm back in funds but thanks for info. Uncle nearest is interesting read. It's not owned by Jack Daniels from what I read but it's got alot of connection to jack Daniels.   

Thanks for socks tips. 

I've got a good chocolate shop which is great however no real great alcohol shop other than online. 

With the kayaking are you instructor? Am I right in assuming you take groups of people for various excursions? I did white water kayaking along time ago in Nepal. It was certainly exciting. 

Have you heard of basil Hayden bourbon. The Kentucky straight bourbon got good reviews.  When I googled bourbon types there's 3 main types high rye, high wheat and traditional. Which is your favourite of the types. Alabaster from comment I'm guessing is a rye fan. I've definitely liked high wheat such as makers mark. 

Kayaking in Nepal-whoa! That sounds amazing. My local runs are on the Potomac in and around Washington D.C, Maryland and Virginia. I've done a fair amount of sea kayaking mostly on the Chesapeake Bay which is a differerent kind of experience. More about the journey and the experience of touring an area going from A to B and enjoying the beauty versus whitewater which is what I do these days. Nothing insane. I like to have fun and work on skills without scaring the living shit out of myself. A lot of class III with some class IV. 

Teaching wise, mostly beginners on flat water (strokes and rolling) and in class II current. I'm taking a certification WW class this winter. My cert is in SK but I can use it to teach WW. Also beginner flat water trips which are a breeze. 

On the whiskey front, seems like rye's are having a moment. Overall, I'm more of a traditional bourbon guy but I've been dabling in rye. Just splurged big time. and picked up a bottle of Jefferson's straight rye whisky finished in cognac casks single barrel. It's a select pick from my liquor store. Man, it's good. They say least nine months (but up to 19) resting in ex-Cognac casks. The finish is supposed to add some sweetness to the spice and heat of the rye. The cognac finish is really nice. There's a touch of orange in the finish. 

And grabbed a seasonal Southern Tier Irish Cream stout. 

Rye is the shit. I used to buy roughly 50/50 rye and bourbon but over the last year or two that's turned to more like 95% rye. I will sometimes look for whiskeys that have rye and corn in the mashbill to kinda get the best of both worlds but I buy a lot of 100% rye as well. They make a lot of good rye whiskey in upstate NY using locally grown rye so it's readily available here being just 5 miles from the Orange County border. Local yokels drink a lot more bourbon though it looks like, at least going by shelf space alloted. But that's cool, all the more rye for me. Tonight it was this NY rye:

Taconic Cask Strength Rye Whiskey (750mL) | ForWhiskeyLovers

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Rye is the shit. I used to buy roughly 50/50 rye and bourbon but over the last year or two that's turned to more like 95% rye. I will sometimes look for whiskeys that have rye and corn in the mashbill to kinda get the best of both worlds but I buy a lot of 100% rye as well. They make a lot of good rye whiskey in upstate NY using locally grown rye so it's readily available here being just 5 miles from the Orange County border. Local yokels drink a lot more bourbon though it looks like, at least going by shelf space alloted. But that's cool, all the more rye for me. Tonight it was this NY rye:

Taconic Cask Strength Rye Whiskey (750mL) | ForWhiskeyLovers

This is one of my favorites with a mixed mash bill.

download.jpeg

3 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Rye is the shit

I have to credit you for urging me to try rye. Back when I was looking into whiskey you and Navy gave me a bunch of recos and you kept going on about rye. It's definitely worth dabbling. I think Redemption that Navy just posted was the first one you posted and I've enjoyed that one. Knob Creek makes a nice one I've had all winter. 

There's usually a couple of them that start popping up around Easter-ish time. Bear republic does their Hop Rod Rye and Founder's does their Red Rye IPA, and Sierra Nevada does the Ruthless Rye which a lot of people always look forward to. I actually like this style a little better than regular IPA's just because they seem to have that kind of subtle peppery taste to them...at least the ones I've tried

High West Double Rye Whiskey, 750 mL - Ralphs

If you see this High West Double Rye grab it and give it a go, it's a very very tasty blend of ryes bottled in Utah that seems to be available just about everywhere I go in the $32 - $35 range. No idea why it's so cheap, it's my favorite rye. Their Prarie Bourbon is very good too. They put out a limited release rye that I bought not too long ago for $60 but it was worth it.

I've also found that Bulleit and Woodford Reserve both make a better rye than they do a bourbon. Not that their bourbons are bad, they're just not among my favorites. Everything Knob Creek makes is excellent be it rye or bourbon or whatever. Their rye is a little pricey compared to some of the others usually find it in the $45 to $50 range but I always have some on hand as well as some of their bourbon.

Sagamore Spirit Rye Whiskey Review - Paste

This one's made in Maryland at Sagamore Farms 22 miles from Baltimore so it's gotta be just minutes from Mark's house. It's very good, give this one a go as well if you see it in the store. 

Tim Smith Southern Reserve | Tim Smith Spirits

This shit's delicious, made in NC by moonshiner Tim Smith, it's a corn rye blend (can't find percenatges but it's gotta be at least 51% rye to be called rye whiskey) so it's sweet and smooth, also in the $30 - $35 range. I'm a cheap motherfucker, it pains me to spend more than $50 or $60 for a 750 ml bottle of whiskey when I know there are others I could get for $30 that I'd enjoy every bit as much.

Catskill Straight Rye Whiskey | Catskill Distilling Company | A Farm  Distillery in Bethel New York

Empire Rye is a thing now with 130 NY State farm/distilleries. To qualify as an Empire Rye you need to have at least 70% rye locally grown in NY. And that 130 number is not even counting all the ryes distilled in Brooklyn which is becoming a cottage industry as well. Ragtime Rye is made in Greenpoint Brooklyn from rye grown upstate and it's good if a little pricey. Catskill Rye is made upstate in the Catskill Mountains on the NY/PA border 70 miles from my house,  I get that one a lot too.

Ragtime Rye - Vin de Table

Review: Dad's Hat Straight Rye (2017) - Drinkhacker 

Redemption Rye (and their High Rye Borbon) and Dad's Hat Pennsylvania Rye distilled on the banks of the Delaware River somewhere between Philly and Trenton NJ are two young ryes that I like for their spicy bite. Young ryes aren't aged as long as straight rye, typically less than a year about 6-9 months and they carry more of a spicy bite. They're also cheaper because the distilleries don't have to store them as long  before they ship them out. Anything labeled "straight rye" must be aged at least two years. Straight rye aged less than 4 years must carry an age statement on the bottle. If it says straight rye and there's no age statement then you know it's spent at least 4 years in the barrel. As with any whiskey the longer you age it the smoother the pour. I rather like the bite myself so I like some of the younger ryes as much as the straight ryes.