Alcoholics Associated

RelentlessOblivion

7 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

One of my problems is that sitting behind the bottle of rum I don't want is a bottle of Jack Daniels Tennessee Fire and I do want that but I've told myself I have to finish the rum first! Kind of like I have to earn the JD :)

It's like I tell myself with all crappy jobs, the only way out is through!

I decided to try and finish the Rum on Saturday night. There was about 150ml in the bottle and I thought I'd knock it off in two drinks but I didn't make it. If I had coke in the house I'd have mixed killed it and be done with it but I don't often have coke in the house. So alas there is still about a double shot left in the bottle which I'll have to stomach one day soon.

On 12/11/2021 at 12:34 AM, FatherAlabaster said:

I'm mostly ok with dairy, love most dairy products, although I hate the taste of milk by itself. I really don't know what the deal is with milk in coffee. Just doesn't work for me anymore. 

We can usually get Bundaberg ginger beer and root beer at our local Target. There's actually a lot of decent ginger beer available nearby, including two local brewers who make pretty tasty brewed alcoholic ginger drinks (as opposed to mixed/flavored). Ginger Libation is my favorite. I can't fucking stand the Schweppes and Canada Dry ginger ale masquerade garbage.

Funny enough, I too have a bottle of rum I'm trying to get through and won't buy again - Goslings Black Seal. Thought I'd switch things up a bit. Not terrible but not worth repeating. 

Father a good to hear from you. It's funny about you not liking milk taste and in coffee. At least your not dairy intolerant. I've cut down on wheat because too much does not agree with me. I know I'm aging when I say things like this😃

What dont you like about Canada dry ginger ale. Is it too sweet. That's good you liked the bunderberg ginger root beer. Is that alcoholic?  

Yeah probably rum you mention is better than own brand stuff I've got. Good idea not to buy stuff you don't like that much. Still good idea to try different brands as finding a gem is worth it. I was impressed with Johnny walker red label. I just liked it alot and it's one of there budget ranges

You mentioned that Brazilian rum style drink. That's one Im going to try in new year. Apparently some reckon it was what inspired rum making in the Caribbean. I'm intrigued about history and if drink is any good too😁

1 hour ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Father a good to hear from you. It's funny about you not liking milk taste and in coffee. At least your not dairy intolerant. I've cut down on wheat because too much does not agree with me. I know I'm aging when I say things like this😃

What dont you like about Canada dry ginger ale. Is it too sweet. That's good you liked the bunderberg ginger root beer. Is that alcoholic?  

Yeah probably rum you mention is better than own brand stuff I've got. Good idea not to buy stuff you don't like that much. Still good idea to try different brands as finding a gem is worth it. I was impressed with Johnny walker red label. I just liked it alot and it's one of there budget ranges

You mentioned that Brazilian rum style drink. That's one Im going to try in new year. Apparently some reckon it was what inspired rum making in the Caribbean. I'm intrigued about history and if drink is any good too😁

Ah yeah, I love a good caipirinha. Haven't had one in years. The liquor is called cachaça, and a good one will actually taste like sugar cane. More of a summer drink but I guess anything goes for new years. The rum I usually get is actually a little cheaper than Goslings but I prefer it - Brugal añejo. Goslings is too molasses-flavored in a way I don't want, and it makes me feel a little weird.

Those big-brand ginger ales just do everything wrong. Too sweet, full of corn syrup, not spicy at all, and the flavor is the most neutered representation of ginger I can imagine. I could probably hang bottles of it over my door to ward off vampires... they're supposed to have good taste after all. Macabre is probably too savvy to be fooled by that trick though.

59 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Ah yeah, I love a good caipirinha. Haven't had one in years. The liquor is called cachaça, and a good one will actually taste like sugar cane. More of a summer drink but I guess anything goes for new years. The rum I usually get is actually a little cheaper than Goslings but I prefer it - Brugal añejo. Goslings is too molasses-flavored in a way I don't want, and it makes me feel a little weird.

Those big-brand ginger ales just do everything wrong. Too sweet, full of corn syrup, not spicy at all, and the flavor is the most neutered representation of ginger I can imagine. I could probably hang bottles of it over my door to ward off vampires... they're supposed to have good taste after all. Macabre is probably too savvy to be fooled by that trick though.

So that's how you spell that. Haven't had one since Ipanema years ago and reckon having one anywhere else would be a let down.

On 12/13/2021 at 1:42 AM, FatherAlabaster said:

Good one, macabre would put nosepeg on his nose. Would not put off a vampire like him. 😂Very savvy he is. Thanks for ginger beer info

Im not a big mollasses fan either. I'd rather drink something else. My brother and sister love the flavour though. 

I'm going to but that on my list. CachacA. order some for new year or spring. Still got a litre of Russian vodka and  litre of Whyte and Mackay to drink plus the slightly rough vodka I've already mentioned 😂.   

With alcohol same here. I personally go for taste notes. Sounds like bullshit but works for me for the fancy bottles. I had a more expensive Rhum agricole for my birthday sent back because it was not right tasting notes. I'm pleased I did.cheaper one was what I wanted.  My wife thought I was very rude. Perhaps I was a little. 😃 I didn't do a John McEnroe. That would have been ultra rude 😁 

I'm stocked up with 1 litre of Whyte and Mackay scotch whisky 🥃 and a litre of Russian vodka. Will keep me going well in to new year as don't need the hangovers so I've Cut back how much I consume

I'm stocked up with 1 litre of Whyte and Mackay scotch whisky 🥃 and a litre of Russian vodka. Will keep me going well in to new year as don't need the hangovers so I've Cut back how much I consume

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Christmas present😁

Laphroaig quarter cask. 

Made in 1/4 size barrels like they did in the days of old. Apparently gets more flavour from increased oak barrel  contact🤗

It really gets a long finish compared to standard size barrel maturation and I reckon that may be down to using the quarter oak casks. I've had extra study samples to make sure 😁

• 3 weeks later...

Our contractor at work left us all lager beer and wine for Christmas. The krone nbourg 1664 lager I like alot.  The red wine has been harder work than I was expecting. I used to like this but not so much this time and it's not a bad bottle as is Australian Shiraz.  I'm pleased its drunk and I can drink more whisky.🥃

Out of interest what are people's alcoholic drinks there just not liking much or have never liked? Baileys is mine. Never liked whisky and creme mix 🙁.

One thing I do miss about doing deliveries and driving the truck is the number of Christmas/Freebie presents I got. Deliver a guy his antique tractor from two states away without mishap and he'd more happily throw a few beers your way for the efforts. Get a farmer's prize bull home after he's been out servicing some hopeful Mummy cows and they'd throw you a bottle of whiskey. But the best effort was delivering bread in the wee hours of the morning. I'd see the milk truck, so for a few loaves bread, crumpets, muffins or hot cakes I'd get a weeks supply of milk, cream, flavour milks etc. I'd see the chicken man so the same bread products came out of my truck in exchange for a few kilos of chicken. Occasionally I'd also run into the fruit and veg man and he'd happily offer a similar deal and my shopping would be nearly done for the week.

I don't drink anything but whiskey and the occasional cider or rum now, so I guess you could say I don't like anything else. :) I used to work for a brother and sister who owned a winery and they gave away free bottles for a job well done, but that wasn't a good job because I don't drink wine and never have. I also opened a beer the other night to make a beer batter for some shark I was cooking and every time the smell hit me it was a reminder that I wont be drinking whatever is left in the case.

On 1/16/2022 at 11:59 PM, KillaKukumba said:

One thing I do miss about doing deliveries and driving the truck is the number of Christmas/Freebie presents I got. Deliver a guy his antique tractor from two states away without mishap and he'd more happily throw a few beers your way for the efforts. Get a farmer's prize bull home after he's been out servicing some hopeful Mummy cows and they'd throw you a bottle of whiskey. But the best effort was delivering bread in the wee hours of the morning. I'd see the milk truck, so for a few loaves bread, crumpets, muffins or hot cakes I'd get a weeks supply of milk, cream, flavour milks etc. I'd see the chicken man so the same bread products came out of my truck in exchange for a few kilos of chicken. Occasionally I'd also run into the fruit and veg man and he'd happily offer a similar deal and my shopping would be nearly done for the week.

I don't drink anything but whiskey and the occasional cider or rum now, so I guess you could say I don't like anything else. :) I used to work for a brother and sister who owned a winery and they gave away free bottles for a job well done, but that wasn't a good job because I don't drink wine and never have. I also opened a beer the other night to make a beer batter for some shark I was cooking and every time the smell hit me it was a reminder that I wont be drinking whatever is left in the case.

I agree  definitely a disappointing present from your work with the wine if you don't like it. Id feel disappointed when I'd get some beers at Christmas from previous job but whisky would have been different story.  I dont mind the fizzy wine if it's a freebie of course. 😁 Never been given that

Maybe I'd liked the red wine more if I'd chilled it. I've mixed it with coca cola once but that I didn't like😫 

You could have rum beer or whisky beer mix. I like these somewhat but at least those beers wouldn't go to waste. Not sure whisky wine would work ☺️

Whisky rum cider why not if you like it. Mine is whisky,vodka, sugar cane rum. The vodka reminds me how much I like the whisky but I do like vodka.

Can't beat a freebie that's for sure. 

9 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Maybe I'd liked the red wine more if I'd chilled it.

Somewhere am entire generation of French sommeliers are centrifuging in their graves. No, you're not supposed to chill red wine. It usually taste like ass and kills all the flavor nuances. If you don't like the acidity of red wine perhaps a sweet dessert wine might be an option. Or just drink Port LOL!

13 hours ago, Sheol said:

Somewhere am entire generation of French sommeliers are centrifuging in their graves. No, you're not supposed to chill red wine. It usually taste like ass and kills all the flavor nuances. If you don't like the acidity of red wine perhaps a sweet dessert wine might be an option. Or just drink Port LOL!

Pinot noir from Willamette Valley, Oregon is what converted me after many years and many failed attempts at acquiring a taste for wine. Just like with music, sometimes you just have to keep trying until you find the right one that opens the door.

And chilled red wine sounds disgusting. Cold wine in general sounds unappealing.

Never liked wine, I'm more of a beer guy. Wine always tasted like grape juice to me, for 40 years I would just pass if offered some. But my father in law converted me, he came to visit for 3 weeks when my wife was pregnant and he drinks a bottle and a half of cheap ass Barossa Valley Shiraz every night. By the end of the 3 weeks I'd be sitting there with him drinking a bottle and a half of my own. That shit is fucking earthy, full-bodied and damn tasty. I never knew wine could taste so good, it's the only wine I'll drink. And yes part of the secret is don't chill it, just drink it room temp like whiskey. I don't even chill my porters and stouts anymore, you actually get more flavor if it's not so cold. 

5 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Never liked wine, I'm more of a beer guy. Wine always tasted like grape juice to me, for 40 years I would just pass if offered some. But my father in law converted me, he came to visit for 3 weeks when my wife was pregnant and he drinks a bottle and a half of cheap ass Barossa Valley Shiraz every night. By the end of the 3 weeks I'd be sitting there with him drinking a bottle and a half of my own. That shit is fucking earthy, full-bodied and damn tasty. I never knew wine could taste so good, it's the only wine I'll drink. And yes part of the secret is don't chill it, just drink it room temp like whiskey. I don't even chill my porters and stouts anymore, you actually get more flavor if it's not so cold. 

Australian Shiraz is good shit. I prefer them to other reds when I can get them. Pinots would be second. Never ventured into cabs.

Had 3-4 fingers of Bullet Distillers choice tonight. Mighty tasty on a frigid Florida evening. You folk in the frozen tundra would have a good laugh, but the government and schools here closed today due to a high of 35° F and a "potential" for freezing rain. It was in the upper 30's today but no freezing rain. Was fucking cold though.