Alcoholics Associated

RelentlessOblivion

clement select barrel rhum agricole from Martinique. so good. the marmite of rums. love it or hate it. well not technically a rum as thats molasses product as far as im aware.

had anyone else had this drink. what did you think? i tasted it at rum tasting thing. would never have heard about it otherwise. is it more popular in france?

• 3 months later...

Haha, I don't tend to plan because I just don't drink enough to be over the limit (expect on the odd occasion I have to drive a big rig and have to blow 00 so it's no alcohol for 18-24 prior). I do think about my following days and what needs to be done before bothering to have a drink. But I think that's more because I'm old and having a few drinks might keep me up past bed time! :)

I actually quit drinking like four years ago. I can't drink and be on psych meds at the same time, the two cancel each other out and then I just wind up getting sick and vomiting. I used to drink 4-6 pints of Miller High Life a night though when I was in my early 20s & occasionally I'd drink Jagermeister. Sometimes if I was slummin' it, I'd drink Cisco or Mad Dog 20/20 or like Mickey's or something but that was toward the end when I realized that I was becoming an alcoholic and quit.

I do miss being able to enjoy good beers though. I think the last beer I drank was Kona Big Wave & I ended up getting sick.

I got Clement Martinique Rhum for my birthday. It's a  rhum ambre. I got it for birthday present. It has the tasting notes I like. I was given more expensive one instead of this and I had that one sent back. More money is not always better.

Also What fancy alcohol bottles do other people have for a  birthday or Christmas treat. I'm sure there's a few who get the premium stuff for those special days😁

On 10/15/2021 at 1:10 AM, NokturnalBoredom said:

I actually quit drinking like four years ago. I can't drink and be on psych meds at the same time, the two cancel each other out and then I just wind up getting sick and vomiting. I used to drink 4-6 pints of Miller High Life a night though when I was in my early 20s & occasionally I'd drink Jagermeister. Sometimes if I was slummin' it, I'd drink Cisco or Mad Dog 20/20 or like Mickey's or something but that was toward the end when I realized that I was becoming an alcoholic and quit.

I do miss being able to enjoy good beers though. I think the last beer I drank was Kona Big Wave & I ended up getting sick.

Well done for taking the psych tablets. I only wish my cousin would do more. Hes in hospital now as he got bad when not taking them. I take tablets daily for ibd but fortunately I can drink a couple times a week with no issues. 

Haven't heard of most of the beers you mentioned as there probably American micro brew stuff I'm assuming. Plus I mostly drink blended scotch like famous grouse, bells, Johnny walker red plus I mostly get whats on special offer😁

4 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Well done for taking the psych tablets. I only wish my cousin would do more. Hes in hospital now as he got bad when not taking them. I take tablets daily for ibd but fortunately I can drink a couple times a week with no issues. 

Haven't heard of most of the beers you mentioned as there probably American micro brew stuff I'm assuming. Plus I mostly drink blended scotch like famous grouse, bells, Johnny walker red plus I mostly get whats on special offer😁

Lol, most of what I mentioned are bum wines and malt liquor. The only decent beer I listed was the Kona stuff. The rest of it is close to undrinkable after the age of 25.

5 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Also What fancy alcohol bottles do other people have for a  birthday or Christmas treat. I'm sure there's a few who get the premium stuff for those special days😁

I don't know about fancy, but my wife has bought me all sorts of stuff I wouldn't normally consider buying. I'm pretty much straight down the line mainstream these days, if I drink. I don't do microbreweries and I don't spend extra just because the bottle looks good or someone said it was better. I used to do that but not any more, not since the mid 90's when a mate and I downed a bottle of Johhny Walker Blue which retailed at $250 in 20 minutes and didn't remember what it tasted like.

My wife has bought me coffee infused whiskey, over proof rum, and all sorts of strange flavoured bourbons and beers, like apple and honey etc. She's also bought things like Dead Man's Fingers just for the name. Some taste terrible, some taste good, but it's a pretty sure bet that when she gets lost in a liquor shop she's going to find something either strange sounding, or strange tasting.

19 hours ago, KillaKukumba said:

I don't know about fancy, but my wife has bought me all sorts of stuff I wouldn't normally consider buying. I'm pretty much straight down the line mainstream these days, if I drink. I don't do microbreweries and I don't spend extra just because the bottle looks good or someone said it was better. I used to do that but not any more, not since the mid 90's when a mate and I downed a bottle of Johhny Walker Blue which retailed at $250 in 20 minutes and didn't remember what it tasted like.

My wife has bought me coffee infused whiskey, over proof rum, and all sorts of strange flavoured bourbons and beers, like apple and honey etc. She's also bought things like Dead Man's Fingers just for the name. Some taste terrible, some taste good, but it's a pretty sure bet that when she gets lost in a liquor shop she's going to find something either strange sounding, or strange tasting.

Crikey downing blue label Johnny walker bottle with your buddy. Maybe because it was so smooth 😉 not remembering what it tasted like is bit rubbish too, I can see why you don't buy the fancy stuff as in my opinion remembering it tastes bit better or smoother  than normal stuff is important for me at least.

I normally get stuff for up to 70 Aussie dollars for the fancy present bottles I get which gets me good quality entry level stuff. I've tried blue label and it was not for me at all. I much prefer the cheap red label Johnny w. 😄

Sounds like your Mrs has bought you an eclectic selection.the electrician at work is fan of dead man's fingers, think he liked the picture. Hopefully most of what the Mrs gets you is good. Kinda of sounds like lucky dip to me. Is it going to taste great or make you want to 🤮. 😁 You never know you might appreciate the good stuff more this way 

It was his 40th birthday and the JW Blue was one of the last things we opened for the night. Whether it was smooth and what it tasted like was not really going to be high on the agenda :)  These days it's healthier to sip rather than guzzle.

Back then (the 90's), we'd go through one or two bottles of bourbon a night (not every night), so it got to the point where the cheapest, especially mixed with Coke, was the smartest option. In the 90's a bottle of Beam white, or even Jack was about $25, and they were the mainstream sort of drink. The next range up would have been things like Glenfiddich, Chivas, Jameson etc which would be about $45 - 50. Then it just went into the stuff almost no one bought because of the price. But now days because our governments like taxes and we have to pay for a 'free' health care system it's rare to get a even a bottle of white label Beam under $40, and the alcohol content has dropped to 37%.

I'm pretty sure my wife only bought Dead Man's Fingers because of the picture on the label too. I didn't hate it but I certainly wouldn't be rushing to get any of the 3 flavours again. I don't mind the lucky dip, but there is always the thought in my mind that if I don't like it what do I do with the remainder of the bottle? I suppose I can always mix it with Coke, that shit kills anything but we don't generally buy that stuff.

On 10/20/2021 at 12:25 AM, KillaKukumba said:

It was his 40th birthday and the JW Blue was one of the last things we opened for the night. Whether it was smooth and what it tasted like was not really going to be high on the agenda :)  These days it's healthier to sip rather than guzzle.

Back then (the 90's), we'd go through one or two bottles of bourbon a night (not every night), so it got to the point where the cheapest, especially mixed with Coke, was the smartest option. In the 90's a bottle of Beam white, or even Jack was about $25, and they were the mainstream sort of drink. The next range up would have been things like Glenfiddich, Chivas, Jameson etc which would be about $45 - 50. Then it just went into the stuff almost no one bought because of the price. But now days because our governments like taxes and we have to pay for a 'free' health care system it's rare to get a even a bottle of white label Beam under $40, and the alcohol content has dropped to 37%.

I'm pretty sure my wife only bought Dead Man's Fingers because of the picture on the label too. I didn't hate it but I certainly wouldn't be rushing to get any of the 3 flavours again. I don't mind the lucky dip, but there is always the thought in my mind that if I don't like it what do I do with the remainder of the bottle? I suppose I can always mix it with Coke, that shit kills anything but we don't generally buy that stuff.

Good reason to have the Jonny walker blue kk for a special occasion.  I said I wouldn't drink much before I got married. I ended up doing the stereotype stag thing😣. 👍😁 I've stopped downing 1/2 bottle whisky as it just made me have a naps😴💤

Tbh having a drinking strategy is important imo  after all alcohol is as far as I'm aware practically poison. Sipping rather than guzzling. Whatever works is the answer. 

I do like having more expensive stuff from time to time. The woodford reserve bourbon I had recently for a present was very good.👍I'd never heard of it before but was smooth with nice jack Daniel and wild turkey flavours for my taste buds at least 

True there's always cola to help drink those ones you just don't like much. What's the drink you just don't like? Surely there's at least one.

I do not like unicum. It's got a funny name but that's only good thing about it imo. It's this bitter/ herbally/ jagermeister type Hungarian drink. I just don't like it at all 🤮

The JW Blue was a gift my mate got for doing work, so it wasn't like he paid for it. Although we were pretty drunk that night so the way we drank it probably wouldn't have changed if we'd been silly enough to pay for it!

I didn't even have a bachelor party, my wife (to be at that stage) and I just had a few drinks and a relatively early night. The day of the wedding my wife's sisters were all drinking from 6am when the hair dresser started by my wife told me she wanted to remember the day and not be half cut. Now 20+ years on and neither of us remember much of it :)

I don't like wine and champagne, so much so I've toasted with bourbon since I was about 25. Otherwise my dislikes are liqueurs and the weird flavoured stuff like Ouzo. I'm also not a huge fan of beer any more, especially micro-beers, I have the occasional beer if we go out for dinner because it's easier in pubs etc where it's on tap, but that's about it

On 10/19/2021 at 12:41 AM, NokturnalBoredom said:

Lol, most of what I mentioned are bum wines and malt liquor. The only decent beer I listed was the Kona stuff. The rest of it is close to undrinkable after the age of 25.

Good to know.😣what you said was probably equivalent of the UK white lightning and I was thinking it was very good stuff what you said,😁 

I will Google the Kona stuff. For next time I'm stateside. 👍

3 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

I will Google the Kona stuff. For next time I'm stateside.

Kona's beers are pretty good. I mean, they aren't really like craft beers or anything, they're just a brewery that's located on the Big Island of Hawaii and if I could still drink, they'd be the beers that I'd be drinking. Unfortunately with the psychiatric meds that I'm on, I can't drink at all anymore or they'll be counteracted and I'll just end up getting sick.

On 10/29/2021 at 12:09 AM, NokturnalBoredom said:

Kona's beers are pretty good. I mean, they aren't really like craft beers or anything, they're just a brewery that's located on the Big Island of Hawaii and if I could still drink, they'd be the beers that I'd be drinking. Unfortunately with the psychiatric meds that I'm on, I can't drink at all anymore or they'll be counteracted and I'll just end up getting sick.

Thanks for Kona info. Well done for taking your tablets. I only wish my cousin would take his psych tablets as hes much better when on them.

Re the alcohol there is good chance I may have to give up before too long. I had flare up with my condition issues for two years not long ago. Drank next to  nothing. Every time I did i regretted it.

Although not the main reason, health is one reason I cut drinking so much. I was long past getting drinking to get drunk and partying multiple times a week but when I first got my stomach ulcer I just automatically cut down to a few drinks on the weekend, and none at all when it flared up, then eventually just stopped looking for alcohol and now barely drink it at all.

But I'm not as bad as my mate (the one with the JW Blue for his 40th in the 90's). He was told by his doctor that his cataracts were the best reason he'd get to cut his drinking. Instead of taking that to mean cut the booze he took it to mean too much sugar in the Coke he was mixing it with and decided Fanta was a better choice. I don't mind mixing cheap bourbon with things like Soda water, or Dry Ginger, but him mixing it with orange lemonade nearly made me give up drinking cold turkey!

On 10/24/2021 at 11:39 PM, KillaKukumba said:

The JW Blue was a gift my mate got for doing work, so it wasn't like he paid for it. Although we were pretty drunk that night so the way we drank it probably wouldn't have changed if we'd been silly enough to pay for it!

I didn't even have a bachelor party, my wife (to be at that stage) and I just had a few drinks and a relatively early night. The day of the wedding my wife's sisters were all drinking from 6am when the hair dresser started by my wife told me she wanted to remember the day and not be half cut. Now 20+ years on and neither of us remember much of it :)

I don't like wine and champagne, so much so I've toasted with bourbon since I was about 25. Otherwise my dislikes are liqueurs and the weird flavoured stuff like Ouzo. I'm also not a huge fan of beer any more, especially micro-beers, I have the occasional beer if we go out for dinner because it's easier in pubs etc where it's on tap, but that's about it

Maybe wise choice you didn't have bachelor party kk. People do some daft, daft things on those but they can be good fun. Beginning drinking at 6am good on your wife's sisters . That's early. I've certainly done that but for a cricket match though that's one sport where spectators need a few beers in them imo. Not sure I'd start that early for a wedding though. 😁  

Yeah too bad you can't remember much about the wedding. I included a motley crue track ballad for my wedding just to wind my sister up.😁I could see her cringing and she might have had her fingers in her ears😂so worth it

Blue label is good gift from work done. Best I got was 5litres of blended scotch which ain't bad either. Not as smooth ☺️

Bourbon toast is the way to go. I reckon alot in my family would have a coke with that or just say no fecking way are they doing that. Both are amusing few months after😂

I used to come home from night shift at 10 am and have a few beers, it's funny how many people react like it's a bad thing. Even after pointing out that it's often considered normal to finish at 4pm and have a beer, many still couldn't get past the idea that my day ended at 10am.

We had mostly country music at our weddingand we did drop a few songs here and there which were dedicated to certain family members but it was our secret. The CD's I made are still floating around here somewhere. One guy I used to know a long time ago had Kingdom Come by Manowar as his wedding song, which is kind of odd but each to their own. The DJ wasn't told not to let the CD keep playing after the song and they went straight from Kingdom Come as their first dance to Pleasure Slave as their second!

I think we probably had GNR play once or twice during the night because we did have 80's and 90's hard and soft rock after the speeches. The one fight I did loose was not to have the damn Chicken Dance, but I did make sure it was only played once, I stole the CD with it on after it played and made it disappear.

We spent 5 weeks on the road for our honeymoon so the wedding CD's kept getting played in the car, by the time I got home I think I'd relived the wedding 15 times. Makes we wonder why I remember so little about it now.

My wedding party was very brief, maybe 45 minutes tops, we never even got to the wedding cake, boquet throwing, or any poultry dancing. My brother in law Tasso who had apparently gotten himself pretty coked up and drunk the night before got very upset that I wasn't planning to do the traditional wedding dance thing. I can only guess that he was mad since they had made him do it at his wedding the year before and if he had to do it then by god I was gonna fucking do it too. He was in the kitchen discussing this with his brother George and he became so upset and agitated that the two brothers got into a physical altercation. (I was out in the backyard socializing, no one out back had any idea that any of this was happening inside) Shirts and shoes came off and eventually their tussle spilled out into the backyard where all the guests were. This went on for more than a few minutes, they were wrestling around on the ground and no one could separate them. They were both out for blood, Tasso being both wasted and a dimwit had totally forgotten all about being mad at me and at this point he was focused on trying to wreck his brother. The cops were called, they came and arrested him and during this time most of the guests filtered out. Even I took off with the best man and we just went home to my place and watched the Giants game. My wife and her immediate family and closest friends stayed and consoled her all afternoon and into the evening as she cried about how her asshole brother had ruined her wedding. After the football game I finally decided to answer the phone (land lines only back in 1988) and they had me come back later to get her and take her home. But it worked out alright in the end, I had a reasonable excuse not to have to suffer through some stupid wedding party (I'm really not a big party guy, the only weddings I've ever agreed to attend besides both of my own were my sister's and my daughter's) and then we split up 2 years later and went our separate ways anyway, so it's just as well.

My wife's nephew has picked a fight at all three of his aunties weddings. Ours was first, he was 16 and tried to pick a fight with me because I caught him trying to steal from the donation jar which was next to the bar raising money for the kids hospital. His old man tore strips off him so he figured he'd come and try the same on me. Then at both other aunties weddings he got into fights with his sister's boyfriends. The whole "you're not good enough I'm going to fucking kill you", type shit with lots of angry words but no substance. At the most recent wedding (2013) he chased the boyfriend outside then around the grounds of the yacht club for 20 mins screaming for the guy to stop so he could kill him. Cops dragged him away in the back of a divi van, it was the next day his parents found out he had 28 warrants out for his arrest and cops had been more than happy to escort him from the wedding.

On 11/1/2021 at 4:42 AM, KillaKukumba said:

My wife's nephew has picked a fight at all three of his aunties weddings. Ours was first, he was 16 and tried to pick a fight with me because I caught him trying to steal from the donation jar which was next to the bar raising money for the kids hospital. His old man tore strips off him so he figured he'd come and try the same on me. Then at both other aunties weddings he got into fights with his sister's boyfriends. The whole "you're not good enough I'm going to fucking kill you", type shit with lots of angry words but no substance. At the most recent wedding (2013) he chased the boyfriend outside then around the grounds of the yacht club for 20 mins screaming for the guy to stop so he could kill him. Cops dragged him away in the back of a divi van, it was the next day his parents found out he had 28 warrants out for his arrest and cops had been more than happy to escort him from the wedding.

Your wife's nephews quite the prince charming 😁. Was he drunk for all these or is he just like that. Think most families have someone difficult like that. Probably lucky if it's just the one.mind you the difficult ones in my family are fun to be around some of the time. 

He's like that generally because he's always under the effect of either alcohol or ice. Stupid judges keep letting him off with warnings and when he does get put somewhere to help he signs himself out. No one in the family invites him to anything now days but he turns up. This is a guy that at 17 knocked on his grand mothers door with a cross bow and told her he wanted to kill his sister who was living there at the time. All class!

I agree all families have black sheep, it's just a matter how dark those sheep go. Some are controllable, others are out of control.

On 11/1/2021 at 1:12 AM, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I had Sweet Child O' Mine as my wedding song, the GnR record had just dropped 2 months prior. 

It's a good wedding song imo. I don't really like the song though which probably sounds bit weird 😄. But the solo by slash oh yeah🎩🎸 that's very very good in my humble opinion. Nailed it. 

There's good story about the making of that track. Quite surprising for me at least.