Alcoholics Associated

RelentlessOblivion

37 minutes ago, SenedeSwaere said:

Right now I'm in this wonderful state of being pleasantly drunk. I really don't know much about rum, but some years ago I bought a "trial package" with six different sorts of rum. I did a tasting evening with my flatmate at that time and the first rum we tasted was the Botucal Reserva 8 years old. Still to this day it is my favourite rum. Very pleasant in taste, pretty mild, not burning and with a sweet aftertase. With my limited knowledge about rum, I can aboslutely recommend this.

And if you're a rum lover anyway, then definitely try the Botucal Rum Liqueur. This one's the best in my opinion, while being less strong (because it's not a pure rum) it has a fantasticly sweet and rich taste and definitely has to be drunk pure. I have yet to find a person who doesn't like the liqueur.

I really don't know much about rum, although I'm interested in finding out more. I don't think I've ever had rum straight - it's always been mixed with ghastly cola. Definitely worth finding out more.

30 minutes ago, Requiem said:

I really don't know much about rum, although I'm interested in finding out more. I don't think I've ever had rum straight - it's always been mixed with ghastly cola. Definitely worth finding out more.

I've never been a great fan of mixed rum drinks. Vodka is usually my liquor of choice and most of the rums I've tasted were some kind of a "meh" experience for me. But the Botucal rum really did leave a positive impression so this is the only rum I can really recommend. There are also the 4 years old and the 12 years old variants of Botucal. The 4 years old rum is really nothing special, no need to buy it. The 12 years old Botucal is even smoother and sweeter than the 8 years old one, which is not bad, but I prefer the 8 years old one for its stronger taste.

Other than that I've only drank the "Pyrate" rum straight, which I can also recommend. It has sort of a fruity taste which is pretty nice in my opinion. Bought it someday out of curiosity and didn't regret it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
On 8/8/2015 at 6:05 PM, MacabreEternal said:

Talisker 10 has been a preference single malt wise in recent years, it is so enjoyable that I actually savour it as I drink it.  That's how a proper whiskey should be.

Also Cardhu and Jamesons make regular appearances.  Jack Daniels and coke is my big weakness, I have lost whole weekends because of it before now.  I remember (well sort of) me and a girlfriend going to a 21st birthday party years ago and it was so dull we decided to to do Tequila slammers at the bar most of the night.  I got into a fight and ended up in bed for 2 days with a monster hangover.  First and last time I have had tequila.

I got a bottle of caol Ila 12 year old Islay whisky for Christmas and it's definitely one I savour to drink. What a glorious drink. You get loads of flavour and long finish. Def a slow sipper. Wow. 

due to health reasons I've cut down my drinking alot which comes to alot of people these days, most times when I drink I drink blended whisky like famous grouse or Whyte and McKay neat.looking forward to getting a bottle of j&b as that's what my grandparents always had in the cupboard, funny association but brings back good memories as theyve been gone along long time. When Im drinking i Go in for a few quick sipping  shots then enjoy being a bit tipsey.  Then these days that's about it. 

Also tried rhum agricole this year on my brother's 40th anniversary zoom rum tasting night and that is definitely worth a try. Very different to anything I've had before. The flavour is very nice especially when you get the ones with the strong meadow grass notes. It's better than you think. 

Re tequila shots. I've done them once at a friend's 18th birthday party along long time ago and blacked out so try to avoid doing them,and try to avoid downing drinks of any kind tbh. It very often ends in regret for me anyway ?

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/15/2017 at 1:11 AM, Requiem said:

howdy requiem😄. french rum is well worth a go. its called rhum agricole. its as far as im aware made in same style as cognac. it differs from other rums like Spanish and English because instead of deriving from molasses its made from sugar cane. its worth trying as its so good. clement are good company for this type. needs drinking neat or with tiny splash of water. out of interest did you try any good rums since your post

2 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

howdy requiem😄. french rum is well worth a go. its called rhum agricole. its as far as im aware made in same style as cognac. it differs from other rums like Spanish and English because instead of deriving from molasses its made from sugar cane. its worth trying as its so good. clement are good company for this type. needs drinking neat or with tiny splash of water. out of interest did you try any good rums since your post

That reminds me of Cachaça, which is a Brazilian liquor also made from sugarcane. I've only had a handful of brands, but they were definitely made for mixing, neat was a punch in the chest. Have you tried any of those?

On 5/13/2021 at 1:38 AM, FatherAlabaster said:

That reminds me of Cachaça, which is a Brazilian liquor also made from sugarcane. I've only had a handful of brands, but they were definitely made for mixing, neat was a punch in the chest. Have you tried any of those?

father alabaster thanks for the suggestion. it does similar to rhum agricole. ive never heard of it. i will look it up on master of malt and whisky exchange. there good sites i use. if its made with sugar cane it may have that grassy meadow flavour i like but this does sound a bit weird. 🐄🐎🐑im none of these honest 😂

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2021 at 4:11 AM, markm said:

How's Whistlepig? 

120 proof Old Forester 1920 and Knob Creek bourbons are about the strongest liquor I've had. 

Tonight enjoying a couple of Stone IPA and a smidge of Uncle Nearest 1884 93 proof bourbon with a piece of strawberry cheesecake. 

image.jpeg.dbccf684d5668bfe2714fe2231b7121f.jpeg

thats some strong liquer there. ive had some 150 proof rum before that was really good. not rough. not loads of flavour but very smooth. cost a fortune though. £8 a measure. thats strongest stuff ive had. 

markm hows the 120 proof old forester and knob creek bourbons, are they ones where you need to add bit of water, 

i had cheese with clement rhum agricole tonight and it was good, similar to your cheesecake and bourbon 👍

also out of interest whats your usual alcohol drinks. is it all bourbon.

On 5/16/2021 at 3:34 AM, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Coconut Mudbank Milk Stout - Neshaminy Creek Brewing Company

Had a couple of these earlier ^ and now I'm having a little of this:

Whistlepig Piggyback Rye Whiskey 750ml - Crown Wine & Spirits

goatmaster general how the coconut milk stout. was it as good as the label. cracking picture. 🌴😁

Picked up some Singleton 15 yr labelled under the Glendullan Distillery moniker. Not a fan of the 12 yr Singleton but this one is delicious. Single malt, Speyside. A Diageo holding that I would be curious to know which blends it makes its way into. Light and fruity so it doesn't strike me as a JW Green candidate. I think they still only use 18 yr Single Malts in JW Blue, but it is much closer to that profile imo.

5 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

thats some strong liquer there. ive had some 150 proof rum before that was really good. not rough. not loads of flavour but very smooth. cost a fortune though. £8 a measure. thats strongest stuff ive had. 

markm hows the 120 proof old forester and knob creek bourbons, are they ones where you need to add bit of water, 

i had cheese with clement rhum agricole tonight and it was good, similar to your cheesecake and bourbon 👍

also out of interest whats your usual alcohol drinks. is it all bourbon.

You want to drink those neat-$50-60'ish U.S. dollars which is fairly high end for me. Both are much smoother than you would think and complex -with some fire and needless to say, a little goes a long way-but great pours. 

http://whiskeyreviewer.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/backbone-bourbon-uncut.jpg

I'm a big fan of Backbone Bourbon which is uncut, meaning not watered down like most bourbons. Every batch is slightly different but it's mostly in the 115 to 120 proof range. No water needed it's delicious neat. By law bourbon can come off the still as high as 160 proof but it cannot be bottled at more than 125 proof (or less than 80) and still be marketed as bourbon. Most bourbons are distilled at higher proofs and then after a few years of oak barrel aging they're watered down til they reach their desired final percentage for bottling.

I've never had the higher proof Old Forester only their standard variety. But I can tell you that Knob Creek's 120 proof Single Barrel Reserve is excellent though. But since their regular 100 proof bourbon is also very good and about $15 - $20 cheaper I usually go with that.

That Neshaminy Creek coconut milk stout was bangin' I wish I could find more of it. Oskar Blues and Firestone Walker both also make excellent coconut stouts/porters. When you can find it. I hate that about craft beer, where I live in a fairly rural area about 90 minutes from NYC these people up here drink macro swill like Bud and Coors and whatnot. When you do manage to find something good now and then by chance and you love it then you can never fucking find it again, it's so annoying. I bought a 4-pack of this Wild Onion Drago bourbon barrel aged Russian Imperial Stout a year ago just after the beginning of the pandemic and it was delicious. I'm on the lookout for it now at every liquor store I walk into but no luck so far.

Wild Onion Drago

This must have been a one-shot deal special release or something. Ballast Point barrel aged Victory at Sea, they had it 3 years ago and I haven't been able to find it since. Maybe my all-time favorite and most tasty barrel aged stout I've ever had, it was incredible.

Ballast Point Victory At Sea High West Barrel Aged | Total Wine & More

16 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

http://whiskeyreviewer.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/backbone-bourbon-uncut.jpg

I'm a big fan of Backbone Bourbon which is uncut, meaning not watered down like most bourbons. Every batch is slightly different but it's mostly in the 115 to 120 proof range. No water needed it's delicious neat. By law bourbon can come off the still as high as 160 proof but it cannot be bottled at more than 125 proof (or less than 80) and still be marketed as bourbon. Most bourbons are distilled at higher proofs and then after a few years of oak barrel aging they're watered down til they reach their desired final percentage for bottling.

I've never had the higher proof Old Forester only their standard variety. But I can tell you that Knob Creek's 120 proof Single Barrel Reserve is excellent though. But since their regular 100 proof bourbon is also very good and about $15 - $20 cheaper I usually go with that.

That Neshaminy Creek coconut milk stout was bangin' I wish I could find more of it. Oskar Blues and Firestone Walker both also make excellent coconut stouts/porters. When you can find it. I hate that about craft beer, where I live in a fairly rural area about 90 minutes from NYC these people up here drink macro swill like Bud and Coors and whatnot. When you do manage to find something good now and then by chance and you love it then you can never fucking find it again, it's so annoying. I bought a 4-pack of this Wild Onion Drago bourbon barrel aged Russian Imperial Stout a year ago just after the beginning of the pandemic and it was delicious. I'm on the lookout for it now at every liquor store I walk into but no luck so far.

Wild Onion Drago

This must have been a one-shot deal special release or something. Ballast Point barrel aged Victory at Sea, they had it 3 years ago and I haven't been able to find it since. Maybe my all-time favorite and most tasty barrel aged stout I've ever had, it was incredible.

Ballast Point Victory At Sea High West Barrel Aged | Total Wine & More

what do you think of wild turkey 101 bourbon. do you rate this. thats one i liked. 

7 minutes ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

what do you think of wild turkey 101 bourbon. do you rate this. thats one i liked. 

Not in my top 10 bourbons, but not bad if that's the best thing you can get your hands on and like it. If you're looking for widely available (mass marketed) bourbons, I'd go with Knob Creek, Maker's Mark, Four Roses, or Elijah Craig.

On 6/2/2021 at 12:02 AM, navybsn said:

Not in my top 10 bourbons, but not bad if that's the best thing you can get your hands on and like it. If you're looking for widely available (mass marketed) bourbons, I'd go with Knob Creek, Maker's Mark, Four Roses, or Elijah Craig.

navybsn ok cool wild turkey doesn't make your top 10 what about top 20.  makers mark is good, good flavour and smooth to, nice ive heard of knob creek, four roses but never bought them. what makes them good. is it because theres loads of interesting flavour. 

generally whats your no1 bourbon.  

also whats your everyday bourbon. is it jd. even though its not the best theres something great about jack daniels imo. probably the taste is what i like. 

On 6/1/2021 at 4:22 AM, markm said:

41 minutes ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

navybsn ok cool wild turkey doesn't make your top 10 what about top 20.  makers mark is good, good flavour and smooth to, nice ive heard of knob creek, four roses but never bought them. what makes them good. is it because theres loads of interesting flavour. 

generally whats your no1 bourbon.  

also whats your everyday bourbon. is it jd. even though its not the best theres something great about jack daniels imo. probably the taste is what i like. 

Regular Maker's wouldn't make the top 10, but that doesn't make it bad by any means.. Four Roses closer to 4 or 5 depending on the specific version. The single barrel is phenomenal for the usual price. Number 1 at the moment is Eagle Rare, but it is hard to find lately. Redemption High Rye is a very close second. 3 would be Knob Creek Single Barrel Select.

Rest of the top 10 from my current stock in no particular order:

Maker's Mark cask strength

Woodford Reserve Double Oaked

Woodinville

Elijah Craig Single Barrel

Basil Hayden

Jim Beam Black - essential for my favorite whiskey ginger and the wife's Old Fashions.

What makes each one special? Dunno. Just like the best cheeseburger, you just know one is better than the others. And it depends a lot on what else you have been exposed to. I like each one for different reasons. Taste, mood, finish, ability to obtain, and how I plan to drink them all play a part. There are certainly better bourbons out there (Stagg Jr, Pappy Van Winkle, etc), but price and availability make them less desirable for me.

Regular Wild Turkey is ok, but I prefer others for an everyday drink. I've never had any of their special releases.

Everyday - mixed drinks it's Beam Black. Neat it's Redemption at the moment.

On 6/4/2021 at 12:19 AM, navybsn said:

Regular Maker's wouldn't make the top 10, but that doesn't make it bad by any means.. Four Roses closer to 4 or 5 depending on the specific version. The single barrel is phenomenal for the usual price. Number 1 at the moment is Eagle Rare, but it is hard to find lately. Redemption High Rye is a very close second. 3 would be Knob Creek Single Barrel Select.

Rest of the top 10 from my current stock in no particular order:

Maker's Mark cask strength

Woodford Reserve Double Oaked

Woodinville

Elijah Craig Single Barrel

Basil Hayden

Jim Beam Black - essential for my favorite whiskey ginger and the wife's Old Fashions.

What makes each one special? Dunno. Just like the best cheeseburger, you just know one is better than the others. And it depends a lot on what else you have been exposed to. I like each one for different reasons. Taste, mood, finish, ability to obtain, and how I plan to drink them all play a part. There are certainly better bourbons out there (Stagg Jr, Pappy Van Winkle, etc), but price and availability make them less desirable for me.

Regular Wild Turkey is ok, but I prefer others for an everyday drink. I've never had any of their special releases.

Everyday - mixed drinks it's Beam Black. Neat it's Redemption at the moment.

thats a list. i will get back to that. i always have a bottle of jack Daniels. Its not the best but i do like a sneaky sip every so often. similar to you having beam black. there similar quality imo.  

also when buying new stuff do you read the tasting notes. i didnt and I ended up regretting it, i do read more of these now and im getting more whisky and rums i like because i read these more.