SLAYER - limited »Repentless« Metal Eagle Ed.

With the title and release date just announced for SLAYER's »Repentless«, due out September 11, 2015 (Nuclear Blast), today the thrash icons announce their heaviest release ever - literally - »Repentless« Metal Eagle Edition. Made of aluminum alloy, measuring 15” X 17” X 3” and weighing in at a hefty seven pounds, the Metal Eagle Edition will house a deluxe digipak of the new »Repentless« CD plus exclusive bonus content to be detailed soon. The limited (only 3,000 copies worldwide) and numbered Metal Eagle Edition will be a direct-to-consumer item and available exclusively via the Nuclear Blast mailorder online stores.Pre-orders are available now, so log onto http://nblast.de/SlayerRepentlessEagle for purchasing info.240000-1.jpgThe highly-anticipated »Repentless« is SLAYER’s 11th studio album, the first since 2009’s critically-acclaimed, Grammy-nominated »World Painted Blood« and the first with producer Terry Date (PANTERA, SLIPKNOT, SOUNDGARDEN). The band - Tom Araya (bass, vocals), Kerry King (guitars), Paul Bostaph (drums) and EXODUS/SLAYER touring guitarist Gary Holt, who recorded lead guitar parts for about a half-dozen of the album’s new tracks - started recording »Repentless« in March 2014, and made the track 'Implode' available as a free download in April of that year. The band and Date continued to record between September 2014 and mid-January 2015 at Henson Studios in Los Angeles. For the album, 'Implode' was completely re-recorded from the ground up, and 'When The Stillness Comes,' used as an instrumental track in a Scion commercial, got a revamped intro and all new vocals.»Repentless« also includes 'Piano Wire,' an unfinished song from the »World Painted Blood« sessions written by Hanneman. About the track, Rolling Stone wrote that it “…begins with an eerie guitar line before evolving into a full-on-doom (and classic SLAYER) riff onslaught…“ King put it this way: “When I hear it, I think ‘Jeff.’ It sounds like a Jeff Hanneman song.”The 12-track »Repentless« is, according to those who have heard it, a sonic assault of brutal, ominous, lightening-fast and heavy-as-hell music with lyrics that unmask what SLAYER knows best - the terror, the corruption and the societal turmoil that dominates our world. “The new album sounds like SLAYER,“ said Araya. “In the past, our fans have always known what to expect, this time they don’t. But we really like it, and I don’t think the fans are going to be disappointed.“As is expected from SLAYER, the band will support the release of »Repentless« with extensive touring across the globe, beginning this summer when the band headlines the Mayhem Festival. That tour kicks off June, 26th at Sleep Train Amphitheater in San Diego, CA. See SLAYER on tour:13.06. USA Manchester, TN - Bonnaroo16.06. USA Huntington, NY - Paramount17.06. USA Huntington, NY - Paramount19.06. USA Portland, ME - State Theatre20.06. CND Montebello, MN - Amnesia Rock26.06. USA San Diego, CA - Sleep Train Amphitheatre27.06. USA San Bernardino, CA - San Manuel Amphitheatre28.06. USA Mountain View, CA - Shoreline Amphitheatre30.06. USA Seattle, WA - White River Amphitheatre01.07. USA Boise, ID - Ford Idaho Center03.07. USA Phoenix, AZ - Ak-Chin Pavillion04.07. USA Albuquerque, NM - Isleta Amphitheatre 05.07. USA Denver, CO - Red Rocks Amphitheatre07.07. USA Council Bluffs, IA - Harrah’s Council Bluffs08.07. USA Milwaukee, WI - Eagles Ballroom10.07. USA Indianapolis, IN - Klipsch Music Center11.07. USA Detroit, MI - DTE Energy Music Center12.07. USA Chicago, IL - First Midwest Bank Amphitheatre15.07. CDN Toronto, ON - Molson Canadian Amphitheatre17.07. USA Pennsauken Township, NJ - Susquehanna Bank Arts18.07. USA Pittsburgh, PA - First Niagara Pavilion19.07. USA Hartford, CT - Xfinity Theatre21.07. USA Holmdel, NJ - PNC Bank Arts Center22.07. USA Gilford, NH - Meadowbrook (Bank Of NH Pavilion)24.07. USA Bristow, VA - Jiffy Lube Live25.07. USA Winthrop, MA - Xfinity Center26.07. USA Wantagh, NY - Nikon Theatre @ Jones Beach29.07. USA Atlanta, GA - Aaron’s Amphitheatre @ Lakewood31.07. USA San Antonio, TX - White Water Amphitheatre01.08. USA Houston, TX - Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavillion02.08. USA Dallas, TX - Gexa Energy Pavillion25.10. NL Tilburg - 01326.10. F Paris - Le Zenith27.10. CH Zurich - Komplex30.10. E Bilbao - Santana 2731.10. E La Coruna - Coliseum01.11. E Madrid - La Riviera03.11. E Barcelona - Razzmatazz05.11. I Milan - Alcatraz07.11. A Vienna - Gasometer17.11. B Brussels - AB19.11. LUX Luxembourg - Rockhal21.11. UK Newport - Centre22.11. UK Plymouth - Pavillion24.11. UK Manchester - Apollo25.11. UK Glasgow - Academy27.11. UK Birmingham - Academy28.11. UK Leeds - Academy30.11. UK Brixton - AcademyMore to be announced…! Read more... then come back and comment below.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join Metal Forum

joinus-home.jpg

• Our picks

• Whichever tier of thrash metal you consigned Sacred Reich back in the 80's/90's they still had their moments.  "Ignorance" & "Surf Nicaragura" did a great job of establishing the band, whereas "The American Way" just got a little to comfortable and accessible (the title track grates nowadays) for my ears.  A couple more records better left forgotten about and then nothing for twenty three years.  2019 alone has now seen three releases from Phil Rind and co.  A live EP, a split EP with Iron Reagan and now a full length.

Notable addition to the ranks for the current throng of releases is former Machine Head sticksman, Dave McClean.  Love or hate Machine Head, McClean is a more than capable drummer and his presence here is felt from the off with the opening and title track kicking things off with some real gusto.  'Divide & Conquer' and 'Salvation' muddle along nicely, never quite reaching any quality that would make my balls tingle but comfortable enough.  The looming build to 'Manifest Reality' delivers a real punch when the song starts proper.  Frenzied riffs and drums with shots of lead work to hold the interest.

There's a problem already though (I know, I am such a fucking mood hoover).  I don't like Phil's vocals.  I never had if I am being honest.  The aggression to them seems a little forced even when they are at their best on tracks like 'Manifest Reality'.  When he tries to sing it just feels weak though ('Salvation') and tracks lose real punch.  Give him a riffy number such as 'Killing Machine' and he is fine with the Reich engine (probably a poor choice of phrase) up in sixth gear.  For every thrashy riff there's a fair share of rock edged, local bar act rhythm aplenty too.

Let's not poo-poo proceedings though, because overall I actually enjoy "Awakening".  It is stacked full of catchy riffs that are sticky on the old ears.  Whilst not as raw as perhaps the - brilliant - artwork suggests with its black and white, tattoo flash sheet style design it is enjoyable enough.  Yes, 'Death Valley' & 'Something to Believe' have no place here, saved only by Arnett and Radziwill's lead work but 'Revolution' is a fucking 80's thrash heyday throwback to the extent that if you turn the TV on during it you might catch a new episode of Cheers!

3/5
      • Reputation Points

• 10 replies
    • I
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/52-vltimas-something-wicked-marches-in/
      • Reputation Points

• 3 replies

• https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/48-candlemass-the-door-to-doom/
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • Full length number 19 from overkill certainly makes a splash in the energy stakes, I mean there's some modern thrash bands that are a good two decades younger than Overkill who can only hope to achieve the levels of spunk that New Jersey's finest produce here.  That in itself is an achievement, for a band of Overkill's stature and reputation to be able to still sound relevant four decades into their career is no mean feat.  Even in the albums weaker moments it never gets redundant and the energy levels remain high.  There's a real sense of a band in a state of some renewed vigour, helped in no small part by the addition of Jason Bittner on drums.  The former Flotsam & Jetsam skinsman is nothing short of superb throughout "The Wings of War" and seems to have squeezed a little extra out of the rest of his peers.

The album kicks of with a great build to opening track "Last Man Standing" and for the first 4 tracks of the album the Overkill crew stomp, bash and groove their way to a solid level of consistency.  The lead work is of particular note and Blitz sounds as sneery and scathing as ever.  The album is well produced and mixed too with all parts of the thrash machine audible as the five piece hammer away at your skull with the usual blend of chugging riffs and infectious anthems.  

There are weak moments as mentioned but they are more a victim of how good the strong tracks are.  In it's own right "Distortion" is a solid enough - if not slightly varied a journey from the last offering - but it just doesn't stand up well against a "Bat Shit Crazy" or a "Head of a Pin".  As the album draws to a close you get the increasing impression that the last few tracks are rescued really by some great solos and stomping skin work which is a shame because trimming of a couple of tracks may have made this less obvious. 

4/5
      • Reputation Points

• 4 replies