Favourite lyrics

jfk36

thats a Tenacious D song I'm fairly certain. Dax Riggs is the creator of a vaaaast majority of my favorite lyrics. Particularly from Acid Bath, but his other projects will show strokes of greatness from time to time as well. God Machine in its entirety gets me really hot and bothered, but my favorite line being "Screaming, convulsing, my eyes are bleeding, be silent now and take your beating" "Pink poinsettas for emotions that died, a chilling wargasm that feels of cyanide, her pussy bleeds sunshine rabid for flesh, as each raindrop plunges to its death" - Fingerpaintings of the Insane "tongues like horns violently born and new, soft dead awake alive in love, hard for the hangman's daughter" - Hangmans Daughter, from the Agents of Oblivion album Another big lyrical influence for me is JR Hayes of Pig Destroyer, he's penned some of the absolute most beautiful things to ever grace music in my opinion; "her blood my catholic wine, it moves slowly through me disintegrates my spine, shes got heroin embraces that I still need to be in, i force myself to loathe her so I can fall for her again" - Towering Flesh "The tape across your mouth says more than your words ever could" - Torture Ballad "There were mortal wounds in the sky and incriminating blue stains on my shirt" - Starbelly

So I like to give bands undue credit what are you gonna do sue me...actually you are American...PLEASE DON'T SUE ME :D "Pardon, please, the narrow confinement of your limbs; Unfortunately, it's necessary for your correction Shriek to your heart's content, if you wish I promise you pain and nightmares, in that sequence" Cryptopsy - Slit Your Guts

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

^Yup, seems like we need more activity on the forum beside General Chat and Forum Games :P

My favourite lyrics are usually patriotic, but the word "patriotic" is now usually taken out of context (and associated with something far-right, or Neo-Nazi). Basically, I like lyrics which depict the love for one's country, the land on which one was born.
My favourite by far are lyrics of a chorus from a song called "See on see maa" (This is the Land) by a folk metal band Metsatöll:

"This is the land
That invigorates the soul
This is the land
The barn of my grains

This is the land
Where I stand up straight
My home, my heart, my fathers’ stead"

(original is in Estonian, but the band's website has English translations of all of their lyrics)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Just noticed this thread. I'm not calling anyone out here, but gosh there are some atrocious lyrics quoted here that are passing for people's favourites a few years ago. Lord have mercy. 

Anyway, I love a million lyricists in different contexts and for different moods. Three include: 

David Gold (Woods of Ypres). A sample from 'Career Suicide': 

"We are all expendable, and we can be replaced

They have supplies of infinite lives, and no time to waste

But we have only one life to live, one opportunity to exist

And though there is no afterlife,

There is still more to life than this. 

Career suicide is not real suicide, career suicide is alright."

and

A sample from 'Retrosleep in the Morning Calm':

"It's good that I sleep alone, so often

Because I toss and turn so much, I feel bad when I disturb my partner

It's okay that I toss and turn, all night, every night

Because I sleep alone so often.

I feel bad when I've distrubed my partner,

It's good that I'm alone, because I sleep so much, so often

And I sleep so much because I am alone, so often, all the time"

Jonas Renkse (Katatonia). A sample from 'Old Heart Falls': 

"For every dream that is left behind me, I take a bow

With every war that will rage inside me, I hear the sound

Of another day in this vanishing life, returned to dust

And every chance I've pushed away into the night"

Duncan Patterson (ex Anathema). A sample from 'Inner Silence': 

"When the silence beckons

And the day draws to a close

When the light of your life sighs

And love dies in your eyes

Only then will I realise what you mean to me"

• 8 months later...
On 2/17/2017 at 5:56 PM, Requiem said:

Jonas Renkse (Katatonia). A sample from 'Old Heart Falls': 

"For every dream that is left behind me, I take a bow

With every war that will rage inside me, I hear the sound

Of another day in this vanishing life, returned to dust

And every chance I've pushed away into the night"

Yeesh, that is depressing. Hits close to home for me, especially over this past year. No wonder FA thought I sounded like him at my most glum.

5 hours ago, danielnaas said:

Anything by Slipknot. Enough said.

To me, some of their lyrics seem designed to sound cool without really making much sense. In a lot of their songs, even when people do their best to interpret meaning (like on SongMeanings), they can only explain about half of the lines.

I'n not some purist who loaths the band and is trying just pick in them whenever I can (I actually like some of their songs and have a couple of their albums) but I don't think lyrics are their strong point. 

Welcome to the forum, by the way. I hope that you aren't a one-time-poster and I didn't type that up for nothing. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/11/2017 at 5:19 PM, danielnaas said:

Anything by Slipknot. Enough said.

I definitely think more can be said. I'm only familiar with the first album though. I love the line, "You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes" from 'Eyeless'. Great moment. I presume they carry on in that positive manner across other albums, but I wouldn't know. 

On 08/11/2017 at 5:48 PM, Iceni said:

Yeesh, that is depressing. Hits close to home for me, especially over this past year. No wonder FA thought I sounded like him at my most glum.

Oh man, the whole song is amazing, especially the line: "And I left my home, passed the evening fires, in the blink of an eye. I had closed the door behind me." I get emotional just thinking about it. 

Here's the lyric video. Oh what perfection: 

Slipknot is one of my favorites, but I don't always look at their lyrics and think it's great. I think that, like, really serious and powerful lyrics really start from their third album, "Vol. 3", where some of the thoughts are much more mature and better constructed. First two records, many good lines but sometimes it's pretty in your face rage with swearing and a bit infantile. 

Having said that, here's one part from "Eyeless":

I am my Father's son
Cause he's a phantom, a mystery and that leaves me nothing!
How many times have you wanted to die?
It's too late for me. All you have to do is get rid of me!

1 hour ago, Requiem said:

I definitely think more can be said. I'm only familiar with the first album though. I love the line, "You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes" from 'Eyeless'. Great moment.

Corey Taylor got that line from a crazy homeless man who repeatedly yelled that in California. It means nothing.

Shape of despair seems to effect me in a level where the combination of lyrics and music make my brain twitch emotionally, every damn time. Especially Monotony fields album. 

Lines like this are just amazingly beautifull darkness.

As I helplessly watch
The descending of
The final inner night

And an example of just one sentence, that says so much..

My fragments lay scattered

Am i romancing it a bit much? Of course, thats what you do with things that hit you at a personal level..

16 hours ago, Kristiko said:

Dude, can you please fix your quote? You're making it look like I'm saying that Slipknot are one of my favourites because you have somehow included your own message into the quote field of my post. I can say right now, Slipknot are 100% NOT one of my favourites. I don't want to draw a parallel between a Slipknot fan and their IT skills, but... please fix that hahahaha. 

15 hours ago, Will said:

Corey Taylor got that line from a crazy homeless man who repeatedly yelled that in California. It means nothing.

It may have come from the ramblings of a distempered mind, but it definitely means something.

In many ways, Marlon Brando's meteoric rise to fame in the 50s then slide into egotistic obsession and self-doubt (eg only filming him from the neck up in 'Apocalypse Now') and obesity seems a perfect analogy for California and Hollywood. The crushing power of image, expectation and ego. Ergo, it makes sense when you perceive California from Brando's perspective. Through our own eyes we can only wonder at the fragility and failings of even the most lauded our species. 

10 hours ago, ChainsawAkimbo said:

Shape of despair seems to effect me in a level where the combination of lyrics and music make my brain twitch emotionally, every damn time. Especially Monotony fields album. 

Lines like this are just amazingly beautifull darkness.

As I helplessly watch
The descending of
The final inner night

And an example of just one sentence, that says so much..

My fragments lay scattered

Am i romancing it a bit much? Of course, thats what you do with things that hit you at a personal level..

There's no way you're romanticising too much. These are cool quotes for sure. 

13 minutes ago, Requiem said:

Dude, can you please fix your quote? You're making it look like I'm saying that Slipknot are one of my favourites because you have somehow included your own message into the quote field of my post. I can say right now, Slipknot are 100% NOT one of my favourites. I don't want to draw a parallel between a Slipknot fan and their IT skills, but... please fix that hahahaha. 

It may have come from the ramblings of a distempered mind, but it definitely means something.

In many ways, Marlon Brando's meteoric rise to fame in the 50s then slide into egotistic obsession and self-doubt (eg only filming him from the neck up in 'Apocalypse Now') and obesity seems a perfect analogy for California and Hollywood. The crushing power of image, expectation and ego. Ergo, it makes sense when you perceive California from Brando's perspective. Through our own eyes we can only wonder at the fragility and failings of even the most lauded our species. 

There's no way you're romanticising too much. These are cool quotes for sure. 

Dude, c'mon, are you really so seriously annoyed with that, I mean it's nothing. Here, I fixed it.

4 minutes ago, Kristiko said:

Dude, c'mon, are you really so seriously annoyed with that, I mean it's nothing. Here, I fixed it.

So gracious of you. You made a mistake, just own it and don't try to turn it back on me. I don't like Slipknot lyrics and don't want to be quoted suggesting I do. I added a 'hahahaha' to show I wasn't that concerned. Thanks for doing me the laborious favour of correcting it.