HALESTORM's LZZY HALE: 'Sex And Rock 'N' Roll Go Hand In Hand'

In a brand new interview with HNGN.com, HALESTORM frontwoman Lzzy Hale was asked if she feels there is a double standard with there being many "Hottest Girls Of Rock"-type lists while we don't see a lot of similar lists featuring men."You might be talking to the wrong girl, but I grew up with my parents' music, so I grew up with a lot of '70s, '80s hard rock and metal and would end up getting these, like, old prints and old magazines, videos — this is during the '90s — from my parents' friends and people that I kind of reached out to in Pennsylvania," she said. "I loved bands like CINDERELLA and I loved VAN HALEN and BLACK SABBATH and DIO and all that stuff… THIN LIZZY, ALICE COOPER… The list goes on. She continued: "Really, my view of this has always been that sex and rock 'n' roll go hand in hand, because, really, if you think about the '80s, there was a whole lot of guys that had the magazine cover or the poster of them like with half their shirt ripped and stuff, so that definitely had its place. I think it's just a generational thing right now, where the guys are a little shy and don't necessarily want to take their shirts off, but ya know, it'll get there. [Laughs]"Hale added: "Maybe some of my peers will disagree with me, but, really, like I said, sex and rock 'n' roll go hand in hand, and that's a personal preference for you. No one has ever come up to me, thankfully — and that's probably because of our 'foremothers' of rock 'n' roll had to go through a lot of crap so I could have it easy — but I've never actually been approached in any photo shoot; not by label, not by management. No one has ever been, like, 'Hey, can you like dress sexier, or can you like go without the shirt for this?' Anything I have done has been purely because I wanted to do it. So I feel lucky being that way, but my rule is it can't start and end with just the high skirts and the high heels. You have to have something to back it up. "Again, my encouragement to anybody is do what you want to do, but if you're going to be in music, don't just be the long legs. [Laughs] Make sure that you work very hard at your instrument and your band."HALESTORM's third album, "Into The Wild Life", follows up 2012's "The Strange Case Of…" and is already being described as the band most diverse and adventurous record yet.In addition to its Grammy win, HALESTORM is the first female-fronted rock band to lodge three consecutive No. 1 tracks at the top of the rock radio chart. Read more... then come back and comment below.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join Metal Forum

joinus-home.jpg

• Our picks

• Whichever tier of thrash metal you consigned Sacred Reich back in the 80's/90's they still had their moments.  "Ignorance" & "Surf Nicaragura" did a great job of establishing the band, whereas "The American Way" just got a little to comfortable and accessible (the title track grates nowadays) for my ears.  A couple more records better left forgotten about and then nothing for twenty three years.  2019 alone has now seen three releases from Phil Rind and co.  A live EP, a split EP with Iron Reagan and now a full length.

Notable addition to the ranks for the current throng of releases is former Machine Head sticksman, Dave McClean.  Love or hate Machine Head, McClean is a more than capable drummer and his presence here is felt from the off with the opening and title track kicking things off with some real gusto.  'Divide & Conquer' and 'Salvation' muddle along nicely, never quite reaching any quality that would make my balls tingle but comfortable enough.  The looming build to 'Manifest Reality' delivers a real punch when the song starts proper.  Frenzied riffs and drums with shots of lead work to hold the interest.

There's a problem already though (I know, I am such a fucking mood hoover).  I don't like Phil's vocals.  I never had if I am being honest.  The aggression to them seems a little forced even when they are at their best on tracks like 'Manifest Reality'.  When he tries to sing it just feels weak though ('Salvation') and tracks lose real punch.  Give him a riffy number such as 'Killing Machine' and he is fine with the Reich engine (probably a poor choice of phrase) up in sixth gear.  For every thrashy riff there's a fair share of rock edged, local bar act rhythm aplenty too.

Let's not poo-poo proceedings though, because overall I actually enjoy "Awakening".  It is stacked full of catchy riffs that are sticky on the old ears.  Whilst not as raw as perhaps the - brilliant - artwork suggests with its black and white, tattoo flash sheet style design it is enjoyable enough.  Yes, 'Death Valley' & 'Something to Believe' have no place here, saved only by Arnett and Radziwill's lead work but 'Revolution' is a fucking 80's thrash heyday throwback to the extent that if you turn the TV on during it you might catch a new episode of Cheers!

3/5
      • Reputation Points

• 10 replies
    • I
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/52-vltimas-something-wicked-marches-in/
      • Reputation Points

• 3 replies

• https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/48-candlemass-the-door-to-doom/
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • Full length number 19 from overkill certainly makes a splash in the energy stakes, I mean there's some modern thrash bands that are a good two decades younger than Overkill who can only hope to achieve the levels of spunk that New Jersey's finest produce here.  That in itself is an achievement, for a band of Overkill's stature and reputation to be able to still sound relevant four decades into their career is no mean feat.  Even in the albums weaker moments it never gets redundant and the energy levels remain high.  There's a real sense of a band in a state of some renewed vigour, helped in no small part by the addition of Jason Bittner on drums.  The former Flotsam & Jetsam skinsman is nothing short of superb throughout "The Wings of War" and seems to have squeezed a little extra out of the rest of his peers.

The album kicks of with a great build to opening track "Last Man Standing" and for the first 4 tracks of the album the Overkill crew stomp, bash and groove their way to a solid level of consistency.  The lead work is of particular note and Blitz sounds as sneery and scathing as ever.  The album is well produced and mixed too with all parts of the thrash machine audible as the five piece hammer away at your skull with the usual blend of chugging riffs and infectious anthems.  

There are weak moments as mentioned but they are more a victim of how good the strong tracks are.  In it's own right "Distortion" is a solid enough - if not slightly varied a journey from the last offering - but it just doesn't stand up well against a "Bat Shit Crazy" or a "Head of a Pin".  As the album draws to a close you get the increasing impression that the last few tracks are rescued really by some great solos and stomping skin work which is a shame because trimming of a couple of tracks may have made this less obvious. 

4/5
      • Reputation Points

• 4 replies