Hello from a disfunctional guitar player

espnmarshall

Hey Everyone, Name is Eddie. I am a music instructor from Long Island, New York (multi-instrumentalist), former frontman and lead guitar of Ides of Eternity (power-ish thrashy crossover?), current bassist for Better Off Inc (female fronted hard-rock, just released an E.P. Entitled "Wish"), and most recently, lead guitar for Korotory. I studied Music at Five Towns College (berkeleys red-headed step brother that is locked in the basement and is frequently beaten), and have been playing guitar since I was 11. My relationship with the genre, however, goes back to my early childhood, when my parents took in foster children. Two particular "foster sisters" were instrumental in my Initiation into this genre that we all know and love. Vicky used to tease my hair got me a toy guitar and dress me like the glam bands she liked (I think Bon jovi was her favourite), and Melissa, who continued to be a family friend, introduced me to Metallica and Kiss (sadly, she is not responsible for my love of king diamond, which would make her name that much more awesome, though she is also the one who showed me Star Wars for the first time). Ever since then, I was enamoured with this music; the dramatic presentation, composition, and energy. I loved watching gene Simmons breathing fire and spitting blood, king diamond put on mini plays with actors during his songs, and hearing the thundering guitar tones, unlike any other sound, of Jeff Loomis, Eddie Van Halen, and Dimebag Darrel. I was reminded of a story that I think illustrates my love of the instrument that makes metal what it is; In second grade, we had gathered in the auditorium, and I was sitting next to my best friend (and later, my band mate) Jeff, and everyone was filling out cards to request the instrument we wanted to play the next year. I saw, in my naïveté, that electric guitar was not one of the options available. When the music teacher came around to where we were sitting, she asked, "... And what instrument do you want to play, mister Becker?" "I really want to play the electric guitar," I responded in a shy manner. "Well," she paused, "you could probably play the acoustic guitar." According to Jeff, and to the emotions I recall experiencing, my reaction was one of complete and utter disgust, as if she had just drowned some puppies in front of me. In my seven-year-old mind, and as a sufferer of ADHD that would roam the halls, loudly humming Iron Man, there was no more horrible fate as settling for the acoustic guitar. To this day, I live alone, hiding away in my small apartment, shredding the hours away. I've left normal relationships and stability behind in favor of my pursuit of this.... Thing... that I cannot resist. It is a force that compels and bends all my will toward it. While I like a lot of different bands, there are those that really stick out for me. Nevermore, Metallica (even load and reload because they are kind of Alice in Chains-y), Heaven and Hell (and anything Dio), Dream Evil, King Diamond, Pantera, Morbid Angel, early In Flames, Testament, Slayer and, most recently, Avatar are the more mainstream acts I like. My favourite indie/underground groups are Killjoy (no longer together), Circadian Skizm (defunct), and a bunch of other bands that are no longer together. This is part of why I am here. I miss going to hear lesser known bands. Unfortunately, where I live, the bands that get the most press are tributes and groups of doctors and lawyers who like to play rock-star on the weekend and are painful to listen to. Trying to get out there!! thanks for reading everybody! I'll post links to my bands if anyone asks!

Cheers, having seen a couple of "weekend warrior" bands in action I can only sympathize. No harm in getting up there and having a good time, but it doesn't have a lot in common with the kind of performance you want to do if you're really dedicated to your craft. Plenty of good recommendations floating around, if you're looking for new stuff to listen. I'm mostly into death and black metal, but I dig a lot of other music of all different styles. I'm not sure that I've heard of your bands, but the name Korotory sounds familiar...

@Fatherallabaster; Korotory has been around for 20 years. I am the FNG. Check out the catalog, its a good amalgamation of groove and straight thrash metal.. Korotory - Anti Trend Machine : https://youtu.be/Vtmy0qhJROE My old band used to play shows with them so thats how i ended up in the band. And yea, i have to admit that i coach a weekend warrior band, but i like to think that im making some effort to stem the tide and i do get paid to do it. *Edit* @midi; She didn't so much have an aversion as she wouldnt be able to get it done through the school. @Gorbogorboze; , i figured i may as well really introduce myself and not just say hi. Ive also never been one to be short-winded Thanks for welcoming me, everybody!

G'Day newbie. Hope you enjoy the forum. I'm more then a little jaded on the subject of playing guitar presently. More then anything else I'd say it's a result of the frustration I feel having almost totally forgotten how to play after an accident last year. I did enjoy my guitar playing before then but after five years going right back to the basics has proved a bridge too far.

G'Day newbie. Hope you enjoy the forum. I'm more then a little jaded on the subject of playing guitar presently. More then anything else I'd say it's a result of the frustration I feel having almost totally forgotten how to play after an accident last year. I did enjoy my guitar playing before then but after five years going right back to the basics has proved a bridge too far.
Dude, I am so sorry to hear that. If you don't mind me asking, what happened?

Dude' date=' I am so sorry to hear that. If you don't mind me asking, what happened?[/quote'] I was involved in a bike accident, suffered a serious concussion, fractured orbital and cheekbone on the left side, and whiplash. Two surgeries and two weeks in hospital wasn't fun, once I was over the concussion I picked up my guitar and realised I'd almost completely forgotten how to play.

I was involved in a bike accident' date=' suffered a serious concussion, fractured orbital and cheekbone on the left side, and whiplash. Two surgeries and two weeks in hospital wasn't fun, once I was over the concussion I picked up my guitar and realised I'd almost completely forgotten how to play.[/quote'] Thats awful. Keep at it dude. I can only imagine the degree to which that sucks

It's incredibly frustrating, I was just getting to a stage where I was confident enough in my playing to look at forming or joining a band and now I'm having to retrain the fingers and relearn my scales, arpeggios, chord formation, all the stuff I did without thinking pre-accident. I actually have to make myself pick up the guitar every day now. Ah well I guess it builds character or some bullshit like that.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the forum! It's always great to hear about how our fellow metal heads became, well, Metal Heads. It's a pivotal moment in a child's life. As for King Diamond, catching him this summer with Slayer? Granted there are a lot of newer metal bands on the bill, it's still going to be a pretty epic performance.

• 2 weeks later...
Welcome to the forum! It's always great to hear about how our fellow metal heads became, well, Metal Heads. It's a pivotal moment in a child's life. As for King Diamond, catching him this summer with Slayer? Granted there are a lot of newer metal bands on the bill, it's still going to be a pretty epic performance.
I don't have a ticket yet, no. I haven't even looked up tour dates, I only recently heard that it was happening. I don't mind new bands. I actually have been trying to find some new stuff that I like. I see you are also new, welcome!