jtb_brah

Just had my Metal Breakthrough. What was Yours?

Hey guys, this is my first post here, but I've been lurking for a while now. Never posted before cause I never really had anything to say honestly. Metal hasn't always been my cup of tea, but since I started playing guitar around 7 or so months ago, my taste has gotten increasingly heavier. Before I played guitar, I had a friend that was what most people would consider a metalhead. He liked Metallica especially, but a little of all the the Big Four. He turned me onto metal, and Metallica has been one of my favorite bands ever since. I have a pretty eclectic music taste, but I still just could not get into the heavy stuff. For the past few months I have listened to basically nothing but Metallica and Slayer. I really liked it (more so than before), even though I used to hate Slayer. I kept searching, found this forum, and in doing so found some pretty heavy stuff, at least by my standards. I listened to some Amon Amarth, and that was it. The growling doesn't bother me any more, and I can start to hear some subtlety in the music. Hell, I even like a few Anaal Nathrakh songs, and they used to make my ears bleed. Looking for more songs and genres now, although from what I've heard I think I favor death/melodic death over black, doom, etc. I'm still open to anything though. Since a lot of you guys are veteran metalheads, try to think of some of the songs that turned you onto metal, if you don't mind. Almost forgot, Feel free to share your metal breakthrough. If (like most people) you didn't always like the hard stuff, what got you into it? What was some of the gateway music you listened to?

Your Ad Here
Support the forum, get a special badge and promote yourself to thousands of Metal fans. Click the above link to get started!

G'Day, nice to see you getting involved, if you're serious about delving deeper into metal I'd suggest hitting up some of the recommendations threads. They're stickied to the top of each genre sub-forum and include video links to save a little time. As for my metal breakthrough well it's complicated. A cousin introduced me to metal some 12 years ago now and from the moment I heard the opening riff of Black Sabbath's Symptom Of The Universe I was hooked. I didn't have much trouble with the more extreme side of metal at first but lost interest in it early in 2010. I started getting back into extreme metal sort of by chance actually. Heard an old Arch Enemy song and decided I should start digging again so I started a few threads here and haven't looked back since. Doom is my favourite genre these days and I don't see that changing to be honest.

I grew up in Utah, and I didn't even like music when I was younger. The only music anyone in my family played was stuff like pop country, or straight up pop like Madonna, Spice Girls, etc... I thought everyone that liked music was crazy, I didn't see any value in what I was hearing. When I got to maybe age 10-11, I started hearing more radio rock material and finally started to take interest. It was good at the time, but I was always on the lookout for something heavier. It wasn't until my girlfriend's step mom was driving us to a date at 14 and had Ride the Lightning blasting in the car that I knew what I had been missing. I got pretty heavily into thrash, and then when I was 16 I got a job at Media Play and started buying up everything I could afford, and then got a 2nd job at a local record store the year after. The rest is history as they say. I remember that Opeth was the band to get me into death metal vocals, Dimmu Borgir was my gateway into black metal (though by the time of Death Cult Armageddon they had little black metal remaining in their sound), and either Candlemass or My Dying Bride was my gateway into doom. When I was first getting into metal, I leaned more toward refined, technically accurate bands, I don't remember what it was that pushed my preferences over toward the more raw, emotive, and savage sides of metal, but it happened at some point a few years ago.

Just had my Metal Breakthrough. What was Yours? My metal breakthrough occurred when I was 15. Up until that point I was pretty much exclusively a fan of '70s prog and was pretty close minded towards metal. I particularly loathed aggressive vocals, so the only heavy groups I had given the time of day was stuff like Dream Theater (yuck) and some classic metal, none of which truly caught my fancy at the time. Then one day I just happened to see a video online about Mastodon (this was around when Crack the Skye came out). I was impressed by the complexity of some of the guitar parts and intrigued by the band members talking about being influenced by Pink Floyd and King Crimson. A couple days later I saw Crack the Skye at the store, and decided to go for it. Changed my life. At first even the relatively tame vocals on that record were too much for me, but there was something that kept drawing me back in. It's such a heavy, psychedelic journey. And before long it was my favorite album, and I wanted to know more and more about metal. And I even started to not only tolerate but love aggressive vocals. So from there I discovered Opeth (at this point I was still searching for bands that had some connection to prog rock, some comforting familiarity I guess), who were my gateway into death metal. Then Burzum and Emperor for black. And since Mastodon talked about Neurosis a good bit, I decided to check them out as well. All of those groups played a huge role in shaping my taste today. Something clicked in me when I put on that Mastodon record (and then clicked a whole lot more with the other bands I mentioned above) and I understood what was so awesome about this genre. And even though I've taken breaks, ventured off and explored everything from bluegrass to hip hop and industrial, to name just a few, metal seems to really be my home genre, and the one I get the most passionate about.

I've sort of gone in reverse. Before I came across metal I didn't care much for music and it's only because I found a music genre that made sense to me that I started exploring the other stuff that's out there. Metal is a constant but I've enjoyed delving into classical, blues, rock and hip hop just to name a few genres. I haven't liked everything I've found but that's bound to be the case doing things on your own.

I've sort of gone in reverse. Before I came across metal I didn't care much for music and it's only because I found a music genre that made sense to me that I started exploring the other stuff that's out there. Metal is a constant but I've enjoyed delving into classical' date=' blues, rock and hip hop just to name a few genres. I haven't liked everything I've found but that's bound to be the case doing things on your own.[/quote'] I see. For me music was always a huge factor, I've been playing an instrument of some kind since I was 3 years old. The instruments have just been swapped around over the years.

My parents would play music around the house, but I didn't start developing my own taste until I was ten or eleven. I got into a bunch of mainstream metal through MTV, and my dad brought home a couple of great albums for me to hear, and took me to my first metal concert when I was twelve. Pantera and Sepultura were two of the bands that got me into harsh vocals. The first DM band I got into was Cannibal Corpse, I think. I used to read some metal magazines, but a lot of what I got into was through friends, the midnight metal show on local radio, and buying stuff that looked cool at record stores. I've been playing guitar and learning about songwriting since I started listening to music, and my taste and my writing have grown together.

I caught the metal bug from my older cousin who would babysit me in a totally irresponsible manner when I was young, pretty sure it was Megadeth that I clearly remember being my first metallic experience from him. I surely didnt understand what I was hearing but I definitely gravitated towards aggressive music from that point on. I was mainly into rap at the time, kind of a product of surroundings, but I found Sabbath to be simply amazing and would also go on to Motorhead and Iron Maiden in a gradual progression towards evil. I didnt get into true death metal til I was a freshman in high school and discovered Carcass and Decapitated along with thrash acts like Kreator via an older friend. It kinda took over my life from that point. I've had small periods where I tend to listen to other genres more but they're few and far between, rap and other music are just things I enjoy, metal is something I live, something I am.

I mostly listened to pop when I was a kid, but I always knew bands like Metallica and Nightwish existed and I even liked them. I already liked HIM when I was 10. At the age of 12, I heard Slipknot's Duality and went crazy for it. I then decided to get more into metal and started exploring. My first "heavier" bend with screaming vocals were Cradle of Filth. Luckily I had an older friend who showed me other bands. He was into heavy metal so he thought me my ABCs, but I slowly turned to black metal and is now maybe even my favorite. To this they I like Slipknot, not all of the material they make, but I always listen to their new albums to see what are they doing because they brought me to metal and I just can't ignore them :)

hahahahaha :D I said the same after Slipknot's All Hope is Gone but the album after that made me change my mind. The returned to the sound they had on their first album, and brought back so many memories. That's what I want. They belong to a part of me that is younger and different and when I hear their songs I want to feel that way again. That's why I enjoyed the last album.

Slipknot were never a gateway band for me. They were a weird phase I went through for a few months back in 2005 or 2006 where I couldn't get enough of them and other nu-metal bands. I was also really into the melodic metalcore which I routinely condemn for its triteness these days.

My Metal breakthrough was when my dad had a cd on in his car (probably from Prog Magazine) and Dream Theater - A Rite Of Passage came on and I was speechless at when I heard the guitar come in, (I believe this was on my way to my grandparents) I asked him when we got there, "hey ya know that band we listened to in the car, do you have any of their albums? And he gave me that album and a few others from different bands including Motörhead - Ace Of Spades Judas Priest- British Steel and Black Sabbath - Paranoid. I still listen to Dream Theater now and again.

My Metal breakthrough was when my dad had a cd on in his car (probably from Prog Magazine) and Dream Theater - A Rite Of Passage came on and I was speechless at when I heard the guitar come in' date=' (I believe this was on my way to my grandparents) I asked him when we got there, "hey ya know that band we listened to in the car, do you have any of their albums? And he gave me that album and a few others from different bands including Motörhead - Ace Of Spades Judas Priest- British Steel and Black Sabbath - Paranoid. I still listen to Dream Theater now and again.[/quote'] Similar story really. I can't remember exactly what band or song it was, but I definitely recall a similar thing with the 'Epiphany' so to speak of hearing some incredible guitar work and vocals (so very likely to have been Judas Priest considering they are my favorite). Like you, it was my dads influence and his music collection what did it - mostly 60s/70s stuff, so Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Uriah Heep (Only recently listened to them myself though) among others. I got really into Judas Priest especially their 70s stuff and it kind of snowballed from there really - I listened to my dad's stuff first, then progressively on to Metallica and Megadeth (though I'm not massively into either, nor Iron Maiden that much either) and also a limited amount of Hellhammer/Celtic Frost. I then joined this forum and made more discoveries in black, doom and death metal, which I hadn't previously listened to very much. Also got really into Mercyful Fate (who are now definitely in my absolute favourites along with Priest and Sabbath, while some others come in and out of fashion as it were). So thanks to peoples suggestions here, they are very much appreciated :)

We're pretty similar then, Judas Priest are my second favourite band, my first being Motörhead, I also love Black Sabbath, although I do really love Iron Maiden so that is something we differ in, my main genres of metal I enjoy are Traditional Heavy, Thrash and Power Metal, I do enjoy other genres (pretty much all except Glam) but I mainly listen to good old Heavy Metal.

I had my breakthrough this last summer...however when I was 14 I was very ill and spent a lot of time off school stuck in bed. A mate of mine who was a few years older would bring me different Metallica albums and I grew to love them (however I never really got into metal other than them). I then returned to school and because metal was not seen as 'cool' I didn't listen to it preferring indie and rock and roll. Fast forward 10 years and I was off work with a torn ankle ligament laid up on the couch, I randomly read a review of the new Mastodon album so searched them on Spotify and ended up listening to Leviathan. It totally blew my mind and since them I have been vivaciously listening to any type of metal I can. It has really been a crash course over the last 9-10 months and it lately seems that all I listen to is various branches of the metal tree. My current favourites would be Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Opeth, Lamb of God, Amon Amarth, At the Gates, In Flames, Machinehead and Insomnium. However everyday I seem to find a new band or a new type of metal that I like. I WISH I had done this years ago...however your never too old to jump in with both feet!

Growing up in the 70s and 80s I liked Sabbath,Priest,Maiden and Motorhead among others but I think my real breakthrough came much later when I went to the Milwaukee Metalfest around 2000. I never really got into harsh vocals until I saw it live and I've never looked back. It flipped a switch for me and opened a whole world of music exploration. I saw Nasum, Macabre, Einherjer, Amon Amarth and tons of other bands that weekend. It really has been a journey since then. I'll be 50 this year and my listening habits only seem to be getting heavier. Saw Enslaved a few weeks ago and going to see Bolt Thrower in June. Metal is my life

Growing up in the 70s and 80s I liked Sabbath' date='Priest,Maiden and Motorhead among others but I think my real breakthrough came much later when I went to the Milwaukee Metalfest around 2000. I never really got into harsh vocals until I saw it live and I've never looked back. It flipped a switch for me and opened a whole world of music exploration. I saw Nasum, Macabre, Einherjer, Amon Amarth and tons of other bands that weekend. It really has been a journey since then. I'll be 50 this year and my listening habits only seem to be getting heavier. Saw Enslaved a few weeks ago and going to see Bolt Thrower in June. Metal is my life[/quote'] Right on dude, cool story.