Any parents on here take their kids to concerts?

kaffee

My partner and I are due our first in July, and I wondered how many people take their little ones with them to shows? What ear protection do you use for tiny ears, did you start taking them from newborn etc etc Or is it completely inappropriate? I don't want to miss any good gigs but obviously I've got the little lizards needs to be put first. Thanks :D

First of all, congratulations on the expected one and best wishes too. My daughter is 20 but she and her boyfriend are into dance music, particularly hardstyle. Thus so I haven't been able to drag her to a Metal gig yet but she was close to coming to see Slipknot and Korn with me in Dublin there last month but something came up and she had to pull out. Maybe sometime in the future though.

Hey - my kid will be three soon and I'd love to start taking him to gigs, but I don't know that he could stay interested for long enough right now. I've seen children's size over-ear hearing protectors, I think those would be better than earplugs. I do stop and watch street and subway performers with him, and he loves it. I think I was three or four when I saw my first show, so hopefully within a year he'll be ready to come hang out with me.

Congrats!! :D I don't have kids yet but I will soon, a year or two I hope, I just need to salve the not having an apartment problem and move in with my bf but that's being taken cared of. :D I will take them to concerts but I think I will wait for them to become of certain age, at least 11/12. Not because I think it's inappropriate but because I think it would be exhausting for younger kids, and if they become sleepy and nervous neither of us can enjoy the show. And I would like them to experience all the beauties of a live concert :)

My father always goes with me. He took me to see Marilyn Manson when I was 14 and Cradle of Filth when I was 16. He started to like many of the bands I liked because he saw them live :D Every once in a while he asks me if someone is playing nearby because he would like to go :D The only band we saw together that's more his band that mine were Black Sabbath.

First and only time I went to a concert with parents, was many many years ago, with my dad and uncle on a Scorpions/Whitesnake concert. I've seen parents bringing their kids to concerts many times. Some dude had his 10year old boy to front line on a slayer concert. Not sure how he managed to do that.. (considering in Greece, the crowd is not really "calm" especially within at least ~100 meters from the stage) :P

My parents have taken me to see The Rolling Stones twice - Once for the 2006 Bigger Bang tour at Sheffield when I'd just turned 11. And the other for their 50th anniversary tour in Hyde Park. I guess I've been to their concerts three times technically if you count when my mum was pregnant with me when she and my dad went to the Sheffield concert for the 1995 Voodoo Lounge tour, haha. Must have been pretty far into her pregnancy as well considering that was on the 9th July 1995 says wikipedia and I was born a month later on the 24th August... That's dedication. :) I'm not especially into the stones myself, but still it is a good experience. Otherwise, I haven't been to any concerts by bands I really like - I only really want to see Black Sabbath and Judas Priest, and possibly Iron Maiden if it was at a festival, but I'm not into them enough to want to go if it was them alone. I wouldn't mind seeing King Diamond - or Mercyful Fate if they ever do any touring at some point.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Join Metal Forum

joinus-home.jpg

• Our picks

• Whichever tier of thrash metal you consigned Sacred Reich back in the 80's/90's they still had their moments.  "Ignorance" & "Surf Nicaragura" did a great job of establishing the band, whereas "The American Way" just got a little to comfortable and accessible (the title track grates nowadays) for my ears.  A couple more records better left forgotten about and then nothing for twenty three years.  2019 alone has now seen three releases from Phil Rind and co.  A live EP, a split EP with Iron Reagan and now a full length.

Notable addition to the ranks for the current throng of releases is former Machine Head sticksman, Dave McClean.  Love or hate Machine Head, McClean is a more than capable drummer and his presence here is felt from the off with the opening and title track kicking things off with some real gusto.  'Divide & Conquer' and 'Salvation' muddle along nicely, never quite reaching any quality that would make my balls tingle but comfortable enough.  The looming build to 'Manifest Reality' delivers a real punch when the song starts proper.  Frenzied riffs and drums with shots of lead work to hold the interest.

There's a problem already though (I know, I am such a fucking mood hoover).  I don't like Phil's vocals.  I never had if I am being honest.  The aggression to them seems a little forced even when they are at their best on tracks like 'Manifest Reality'.  When he tries to sing it just feels weak though ('Salvation') and tracks lose real punch.  Give him a riffy number such as 'Killing Machine' and he is fine with the Reich engine (probably a poor choice of phrase) up in sixth gear.  For every thrashy riff there's a fair share of rock edged, local bar act rhythm aplenty too.

Let's not poo-poo proceedings though, because overall I actually enjoy "Awakening".  It is stacked full of catchy riffs that are sticky on the old ears.  Whilst not as raw as perhaps the - brilliant - artwork suggests with its black and white, tattoo flash sheet style design it is enjoyable enough.  Yes, 'Death Valley' & 'Something to Believe' have no place here, saved only by Arnett and Radziwill's lead work but 'Revolution' is a fucking 80's thrash heyday throwback to the extent that if you turn the TV on during it you might catch a new episode of Cheers!

3/5
      • Reputation Points

• 10 replies
    • I
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/52-vltimas-something-wicked-marches-in/
      • Reputation Points

• 3 replies

• https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/48-candlemass-the-door-to-doom/
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • Full length number 19 from overkill certainly makes a splash in the energy stakes, I mean there's some modern thrash bands that are a good two decades younger than Overkill who can only hope to achieve the levels of spunk that New Jersey's finest produce here.  That in itself is an achievement, for a band of Overkill's stature and reputation to be able to still sound relevant four decades into their career is no mean feat.  Even in the albums weaker moments it never gets redundant and the energy levels remain high.  There's a real sense of a band in a state of some renewed vigour, helped in no small part by the addition of Jason Bittner on drums.  The former Flotsam & Jetsam skinsman is nothing short of superb throughout "The Wings of War" and seems to have squeezed a little extra out of the rest of his peers.

The album kicks of with a great build to opening track "Last Man Standing" and for the first 4 tracks of the album the Overkill crew stomp, bash and groove their way to a solid level of consistency.  The lead work is of particular note and Blitz sounds as sneery and scathing as ever.  The album is well produced and mixed too with all parts of the thrash machine audible as the five piece hammer away at your skull with the usual blend of chugging riffs and infectious anthems.  

There are weak moments as mentioned but they are more a victim of how good the strong tracks are.  In it's own right "Distortion" is a solid enough - if not slightly varied a journey from the last offering - but it just doesn't stand up well against a "Bat Shit Crazy" or a "Head of a Pin".  As the album draws to a close you get the increasing impression that the last few tracks are rescued really by some great solos and stomping skin work which is a shame because trimming of a couple of tracks may have made this less obvious. 

4/5
      • Reputation Points

• 4 replies