"Orchestral" metal?

voskhod

As far as I know, this is a sub-genre that doesn't exist - but I want to find more like it anyhow. I recently got done listening to something by Amon Amarth; Specifically their song "Live for the Kill" and during the last minute of that song I heard probably one of the most beautiful things I had ever heard in a metal song. A cello. [ http://youtu.be/0HotjzABI0w?t=2m45s , listen until the end ] I did a bit of looking and found out that this cello performance was done by Apocalyptica. [

] However, Apocalyptica does entirely cello-based music, meaning no guitar, no bass, no drums or anything. What I'm looking for is metal with orchestral instruments in the background, like during that one Amon Amarth song. Any orchestral instruments - violins and church-organs would probably be nice too. One thing to note is that during Live for the Kill, there is a cello solo, and once the solo is done and the other instruments kick in the cello still plays and becomes part of the song. I'm not looking for just solos in between the metal bits like Apocalyptica does. The only other example I can think of that demonstrates what I mean is this one song by Dark Funeral. [
] Starting at 0:15 and going all the way until the screeching vocals start in 0:59. I've listened to many songs by Dark Funeral, but this is their only song that I truly love, if only because of that opening minute. Sadly, this is their only song that uses the kind of "orchestral" sound I'm referring to. Now, based on the final minute of that Amon Amarth song, and the opening minute of that Dark Funeral song, you should get a pretty good idea of what I mean by now. My question then WHERE CAN I FIND MORE OF THAT? It's such an incredibly beautiful sound, I feel like I've found true love or something.

What you're looking for (from the sound of things anyway) sounds like symphonic metal, which is actually pretty prevalent. Symphonic black metal tends to be the most well known variety, but some there are bands that also play symphonic death metal, symphonic power metal, symphonic gothic metal, etc... The examples that you posted lead me to believe that you're looking more for bands on the black/death side of the spectrum, I'll post some samples to give you an idea in a few.

BlutAus, these are a bit on point, but not entirely what I meant. Symphonic metal is something very different and its the first thing I looked in when trying to find more songs like the one I linked. But from my experience Symphonic Metal is different, hence why I used the term "Orchestral" metal. From the guys at another forum, I found a few more examples - these ones are almost perfect.

And
But one song in particular by them blew me out of the water, "Pathfinder". Absolutely beautiful.
Elegy had a similar effect
Fleshgod Apocalypse is basically the perfect example of what I was looking for. There any more like them? I'm not specifically looking for Black/Death metal either, I can definitely work with orchestral instruments in Viking/Folk/Power metal too (like good old Amon). Edit: Dimmu Borgir turned out to be pretty nice too.

BlutAus, these are a bit on point, but not entirely what I meant. Symphonic metal is something very different and its the first thing I looked in when trying to find more songs like the one I linked. But from my experience Symphonic Metal is different, hence why I used the term "Orchestral" metal. From the guys at another forum, I found a few more examples - these ones are almost perfect.
And
But one song in particular by them blew me out of the water, "Pathfinder". Absolutely beautiful.
Elegy had a similar effect
Fleshgod Apocalypse is basically the perfect example of what I was looking for. There any more like them? I'm not specifically looking for Black/Death metal either, I can definitely work with orchestral instruments in Viking/Folk/Power metal too (like good old Amon). Edit: Dimmu Borgir turned out to be pretty nice too.
Interesting that Fleshgod Apocalypse hit the spot, but newer Septicflesh wouldn't. Their sounds are similar these days, but I like Septicflesh a great deal more. They have a much stronger sense of melody IMO and their sound isn't so bricked in and over-mastered. Also strange that Dimmu would hit the spot, yet Limbonic Art wouldn't. I'll check out the other samples and see if I can better understand what you're after, but I'm at a bit of a loss at present.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I like the direction of this thread. 

Orchestral metal, if we're calling it that, is one of my favourite styles of metal. Especially in the last five years or so, this genre has come to refine itself to an astonishing level. 

Fleshgod Apocalypse: Their last two albums 'Labyrinth' and 'King' are outstanding releases. One of the greatest memories I have is of climbing the huge clifftop fortress of Masada next to the Dead Sea in Israel at dawn, with the first two tracks of 'Labyrinth' playing. It was one of life's transcendent moments. 'King' is another masterpiece. Incredible lyrics too. The only downside is that it's possibly too frenetic at times, although they have plenty of variety and interludes to break it up. 

Septicflesh: This is my current favourite band. Their albums up to 'Sumerian Deamons' are great, although not overly orchestral or symphonic. They reach aural perfection with 2008's 'Communion', which is one of the greatest metal albums of all time. 'The Great Mass' that followed is brilliant, especially the first half, although the band's greatest moment for me is 'Titan'. The massive orchestra sound plays repetitive hooks that are just incredible. I simply can't believe how grandiose and perfect this album is from start to finish. I could talk all day about the lyrics too. The perfect example of orchestral metal. 

Here's 'Prometheus' from 'Titan'. This song has the perfect build up for 4 minutes before launching into probably the greatest orchestral metal riff of all time. 

This program's of mixed quality, and there are some cringe moments, but they do fun videos where they discuss the key bands of different genres: 

That said, I really can't stand most of this genre. When it comes to metal, I usually prefer it raw. I do like some lush bands, but I usually prefer that lushness to come from big, distorted guitars or atmospherics.

• 4 months later...