Pallbearer

Mattig

I like them. Sorrow and Extinction was the first new vinyl that I purchased in a long long time. I think that it is subtle and beautiful, but I guess I agree with BAN that it is a bit over-esteemed, I listen to it a bunch though. I don't see why it needs four sides for one thing. I listened to the new album on youtube only once and don't recall my impressions about it, maybe not a good sign. I like the lyrics and vocals, it's cool for the subject matter to be grim and sad and morbid without a hint of fantasy, if you dig what I'm saying. They are not as good as Nevertanezra.

I took a look at a copy of Decibel and I gather they selected foundations of burden as the top album of the year. I might be wrong about that, but I think it is so. I think it's cool that a doom album got the top slot there, even if Pallbearer is getting a little too much attention. I am listening to it now, and like it plenty. Edit- So yeah, It's good, but definitely not top release of the year quality, and more significantly, not as good as Sorrow and Extinction (or not a departure).

• 3 weeks later...

I really love the tones and production on Sorrows and extinction. Foundations of burden was a decent listen too but it was basically Sorrows-lite with cleaner production. Admittedly I didnt hear about them until the last album came out and people were singing their praises far and wide, which only reinforces my theory that doom metal is slowly becoming the premier metal scene in the US.

I really love the tones and production on Sorrows and extinction. Foundations of burden was a decent listen too but it was basically Sorrows-lite with cleaner production. Admittedly I didnt hear about them until the last album came out and people were singing their praises far and wide' date=' which only reinforces my theory that doom metal is slowly becoming the premier metal scene in the US.[/quote'] I seriously doubt that. Doom has never enjoyed the same degree of success as any other major metal genre, with its largest spike in popularity happening in the 90's, but it was really just with the stoner and sludge subgenres that bordered the stoner rock and hardcore/groove metal scenes respectively. Bands like Pallbearer seem to be garnering a great deal of crossover appeal with hipster post-rock types, which I think accounts for their success, and retro doom bands have the same crossover appeal with the retro heavy/thrash metal and psych rock crowds. I hope that I'm wrong and it does finally become a driving force in metal, but I believe it will always be the most underground of all major metal genres.

Well, as I've mentioned in a thread I made a few months ago, I know that the Georgia and Florida scenes have become predominantly doom/post/sludge bands. Tampa is NOT crawling with death metal as it was in the nineties and even early 2000's, the most prominent bands drawing sizable crowds are all doom or doom-influenced. BUT, I havent been out of the south since moving back from Chicago somewhere in 2010 so maybe I'm just observing a regional development and nothing more.

Well' date=' as I've mentioned in a thread I made a few months ago, I know that the Georgia and Florida scenes have become predominantly doom/post/sludge bands. Tampa is NOT crawling with death metal as it was in the nineties and even early 2000's, the most prominent bands drawing sizable crowds are all doom or doom-influenced. BUT, I havent been out of the south since moving back from Chicago somewhere in 2010 so maybe I'm just observing a regional development and nothing more.[/quote'] Counting up bands from the scenes I'm familiar with would probably favor doom as well honestly, the most popular bands in my scene are doom based (Eagle Twin and Subrosa), and it seems like there are a bunch of doom and doom related acts that aren't signed as well (Gravecode Nebula, Moon of Delirium, my band, etc...). However, I don't foresee any one doom band gaining the same kind of mainstream appeal that bands from other genres garner, and more than one band doing so seems even less likely.

well yeah, doom breaking into the mainstream is quite farfetched, that wasnt what I was getting at. I was just saying it seems to be getting to a point of popularity it hasnt seen before. Kinda like even in the early 2000's death metal was still quite prevalent in alot of scenes (including my hometown) in the US despite being a truly underground genre by nature. I see doom moving towards that right now.

• 3 years later...

I really do enjoy Pallbearer, When I was a teenager I probably would have turned my nose up at them but with age I find this mellower take on doom to be quite refreshing and relaxing. It does have the unfortunate ability to become mainstream though i feel. 

I really do enjoy Pallbearer, When I was a teenager I probably would have turned my nose up at them but with age I find this mellower take on doom to be quite refreshing and relaxing. It does have the unfortunate ability to become mainstream though i feel. 
I liked their live performance when we played with them a few years back, but their albums haven't done much for me. I've never listened to one from start to finish, I'm sure I'll get around to giving them an honest listen at some point, but what I heard wasn't enough to motivate me to rush out and listen.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...

It took me a few listens but with headphones especially pallbearers heartless album sounds really great. Such power and I really like the lyrics too. Old album's are very strong too. Not reinvention of genre but there music is great to listen to. I envisioned it being music anybody would like and they would get quite big. Very accessible but I was a bit wrong about everyone liking there music. I was asked by a friend to get them a great record and they did not like heartless at all. But I got a cd out of it. ? .Not for everyone and would love to see them live again soon. Did a great  set  at Camden underworld last year in a small but famous venue with not great acoustic s due to low ceilings. Have I got that wrong re acoustics at underworld. What do others think about pallbearer. Would be interested to hear people opinion these days as the comments are from couple of years ago. What blutAusNerd said was interesting though. Are they a band that you love of just don't get. No middle area?

• 1 year later...

latest album i like. forgotten days. its nice to have more tracks which are shorter in length. heartless was a good good album but imo some of tracks were bit long. on forgotten days The tracks are shorter and sharper imo for it. they still have there wellknown sound  but they mixed up a few influences from to my ears anyway bit of kirk hammet black album mettalica wah wah, alice in chains and tangerine dream influenced Caledonia. well its what i hear?

what do you think of forgotten days