Thrash Guitar for Beginners

metallikole1999

I received a guitar for Christmas and started out by learning songs that I could play by using just one string. I am now trying to learn real songs and my favorite genre is thrash. Of course, I can't do thrash songs because they are way too fast and I'm just a beginner, but most thrash bands have slower songs that I can attempt. I'm working on Gods of Wrath by Metal Church and One by Metallica and then some more by Metallica that aren't thrash like Enter Sandman and Nothing Else Matters. I am also attempting Electric Funeral by Black Sabbath and Mother by Danzig. So far, I can get the notes down, but I have a lot of errors and my timing is messed up, but I'll get better with time. Do you guys know any thrash songs for beginners or even traditional heavy metal or hard rock that I can attempt to play? I'd like to get a lot of replies so I can sort through and find ones that I would enjoy and ones that I can succeed at. Thanks :P

I wish I could help you, I've been in a couple of bands, but I've never known how to play anyone's songs but our own, with the exception of an odd cover here and there. I would say try to learn anything that you like enough to motivate you to press through the errors and eventually nail it, as I know that is my biggest problem on guitar.

If I were you I would start with some easy stuff like Paranoid by Black Sabbath just so you can get used to power chord usage and slightly higher tempo palm muting and whatnot. Thrash might be a bit difficult if you're so new that you just finished learning one string songs. Dio - Holy Diver is another easy one that just helps with power chord usage. Also in the beginning you might really want to use a metronome if your timing is looking bad. I know my reply didn't address thrash that much but the tempo of thrash makes it a challenge if you're a beginner. I think it might be better for you to learn technique and get good with your timing and finger/pick placement before you try thrash. I can't think of a thrash song that I listen to that isn't pretty high tempo. http://www.metronomeonline.com/ Also just curious, what type of guitar did you get for christmas?

If I were you I would start with some easy stuff like Paranoid by Black Sabbath just so you can get used to power chord usage and slightly higher tempo palm muting and whatnot. Thrash might be a bit difficult if you're so new that you just finished learning one string songs. Dio - Holy Diver is another easy one that just helps with power chord usage. Also in the beginning you might really want to use a metronome if your timing is looking bad. I know my reply didn't address thrash that much but the tempo of thrash makes it a challenge if you're a beginner. I think it might be better for you to learn technique and get good with your timing and finger/pick placement before you try thrash. I can't think of a thrash song that I listen to that isn't pretty high tempo. METRONOME ONLINE - free! Also just curious, what type of guitar did you get for christmas?
This is a great reply, I'll try Paranoid and Holy Diver. I knew it would be hard to try thrash, that's why I've tried slow ones like Gods of Wrath. My guitar is a Les Paul Style Epiphone, I'm not sure if it's a good guitar or not I just know it cost around $350.

It's a good guitar bro. I own an Epiphone too it's a bang for the buck. Yours is better than mine even haha. Mine was a 250$ epiphone so it's just affordable and I need an upgrade although I mainly play acoustic. You could try some slower metallica songs like for whom the bell tolls and whatnot too.

It's a good guitar bro. I own an Epiphone too it's a bang for the buck. Yours is better than mine even haha. Mine was a 250$ epiphone so it's just affordable and I need an upgrade although I mainly play acoustic. You could try some slower metallica songs like for whom the bell tolls and whatnot too.
Cool, I didn't know how good it was, and I forgot about For Whom the Bell Tolls because it's bass but I'll try that out.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, maybe you can choose some slower licks and riffs you like not an entire song at first. When I first touched my guitar, I used the song Smoke On The Water to help me get into this. Until now, I can play many songs faster and better, but the only stuff I can play from this song is its intro—just three chords. I think it is an effective way to improve your skills. There are few songs which contain a relatively slow part. If you don't like, ignore it. I hope that could help you. Psychosocial — Slipknot Iron Man — Black Sabbath To Live Is To Die — Metallica Here Comes The Pain — Slayer T.N.T — AC/DC Bleeding Me — Metallica In Bloom — Nirvana

• 7 years later...

municipal waste's "wrong answer" is a pretty good beginner tune riff wise in my opinion. it was the first thrash song i learned on guitar and did so by ear. it's pretty much all power chords and muted open notes. i can't do the solos. but then again, i'm not much of a lead guitarist. rhythm is more my area

• 8 months later...
On 1/6/2015 at 5:06 PM, metallikole1999 said:

I received a guitar for Christmas and started out by learning songs that I could play by using just one string. I am now trying to learn real songs and my favorite genre is thrash. Of course, I can't do thrash songs because they are way too fast and I'm just a beginner, but most thrash bands have slower songs that I can attempt. I'm working on Gods of Wrath by Metal Church and One by Metallica and then some more by Metallica that aren't thrash like Enter Sandman and Nothing Else Matters. I am also attempting Electric Funeral by Black Sabbath and Mother by Danzig. So far, I can get the notes down, but I have a lot of errors and my timing is messed up, but I'll get better with time. Do you guys know any thrash songs for beginners or even traditional heavy metal or hard rock that I can attempt to play? I'd like to get a lot of replies so I can sort through and find ones that I would enjoy and ones that I can succeed at. Thanks :P

Maybe not the best idea but I started with master of puppets. It’s been around 6 months now and I can play most of it (except for Kirk’s solo) with some slight modifications (playing the main riff on the e string only) at 95-100% speed.