Welcome to Metal Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to stalk this  
Stalkers 0
GorboGorboze

The Obsessed

I guess there is no The Obsessed thread as yet. I wanted to start a Wino thread, but first things first I guess. I liked this video I just watched on youtube, even if it's not great, I liked it.

so maybe someone else will enjoy that, it makes a big deal about how into them a bunch of punk bands were. The Church Within is maybe my favorite album. Mostly I love the band because they are so heavy and so basic, and Wino's guitar playing is monumental. I like his voice also, it's not pretty, just strong and soulful. I never heard of them until about three years ago when I discovered them on youtube, what was I up to before then?

I dig Lunar Womb and their Sodden Jackal material best, but then I haven't heard The Church Within. They are basic and raw, just simple and expressive rocking doom metal, and Wino's vocals are taylor made for doom. As far as his appeal to the punk crowd, that could have something to do with his raw and basic approach, and may also have something to do with Saint Vitus being signed to a hardcore punk label and doing a bad ass cover of Black Flag's Thirsty and Miserable. He has also worked with a number of musicians that are more on that side of the spectrum, especially Scott Kelly and Dale Crover of Neurosis and Melvins respectively.

Wino is a great frontman. I saw Saint Vitus play a few years ago. After the set, he just walked into the crowd and started shaking hands with everyone. The whole band soon joined him. They stayed until they met everyone. One of my most memorable concert experiences.

GorboGorboze gave this Horns Up!

I'm pretty excited about the new album Sacred. I'm sort of dismayed to learn that they played in Boston last night, if I'd know weeks ahead I could have arranged to go. That is hard to deal with I guess. I feel like I ought to have been there.