Jump to content

Hair metal/ Glam metal


metallikole1999
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 4/22/2017 at 3:47 AM, Skull_Kollektor said:

Ahah yes, they don't make eponymous debuts this good anymore, these days...

It's kinda sad that Great White is now split into two bands... One with Jack Russell and one with Mark Kendall...

Mister Kendall might have been responsible for much of the music, but Jack Russell's voice is amazing! Too bad that he had the worst looks of the whole Sunset Strip... If Vince Neil's looks (up until 1991, of course), Jack Russell's pipes and Diamond Dave's antics could be merged into a single front man it would be the ultimate rock and roll Frankenstein!

Your right on top of what gives with Great White, I'd need to look up the details but I thought a few of the band members died on stage in a pyrotechnics catastrophe. Maybe it was the drummer alone who died? Anyway I don't know anything about the subsequent bands, but I'd be intrigued. Dudes vocals are tremendous, that I don't need to research.

Wikipedia points out that it was a vocalist and guitar player, Ty Longley, who died in a failed attempt to save his guitar. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you read Wikipedia then you already know the whole story about that accident.

It wasn't actually Great White, it was Jack Russell's Great White featuring Mark Kendall as a special guest. Jack Russell is the original singer and Mark Kendall is the original guitarist of the original Great White. The poor guy who died was the guitarist in Jack Russell's solo band, billed by the name of Jack Russell's Great White. 

 

Following the incident, the original Great White DID reunite with both Jack Russell and Mark Kendall back into the fold. I was lucky enough to see them play live in Milan in this incarnation, which also featured 80's drummer Audie Desbrow, 80's keyboardist/guitarist Michel Lardie and Sean McNabb (a fella associated with many acts, including Dokken and Quiet Riot). A few years later Jack Russell had some health issues and could not perform with Great White, although they had some booked commitments. Apparently if you ask Mark Kendall he will tell you that Jack Russell was a drunk fuck-up that jeopardized the professionalism of Great White (Kendall sobered up and became a born again Christian some years ago). If you ask Jack Russell he will tell you that he fell into a come for five days (not because of partying antics) and that the guys in Great White did not wait for him to recover, nor cared about his conditions while ill. They eventually settled all this in or out of court (can't remember really), so now we have a band called Jack Russell's Great White and another going under the original monicker of Great White featuring Kendall, Lardie, Desbrow, some bass dude and Terry Ilous on vocals (previously with XYZ, a band whose debut was also produced by Don Dokken, just like Great White's first ep, and then moved on to a more blues based approached).

When I saw Great White back in 2008, Jack Russell did actually look like a fuck up... he fell onstage during the first song! But he sang alright, I think he was just a bit clumsy. Before going to the gig I had read somewhere that the band had stopped playing the track "Desert Moon" because that was the song they played when the accident occurred... Well, they played that song on the very concert I attended, so they had either changed their mind or my information was not accurate to begin with...

Same ridiculous double band situation happened with L.A. Guns... one with Tracii Guns and the other with Phil Lewis and Steven Riley (ex WASP). Now both Tracii and Phil Lewis play in the same incarnation of LA Guns... They are due to play here in Milan next sunday with TNT. I might as well go. I'll see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 24/04/2017 at 2:02 AM, Skull_Kollektor said:

If you read Wikipedia then you already know the whole story about that accident.

It wasn't actually Great White, it was Jack Russell's Great White featuring Mark Kendall as a special guest. Jack Russell is the original singer and Mark Kendall is the original guitarist of the original Great White. The poor guy who died was the guitarist in Jack Russell's solo band, billed by the name of Jack Russell's Great White. 

 

Following the incident, the original Great White DID reunite with both Jack Russell and Mark Kendall back into the fold. I was lucky enough to see them play live in Milan in this incarnation, which also featured 80's drummer Audie Desbrow, 80's keyboardist/guitarist Michel Lardie and Sean McNabb (a fella associated with many acts, including Dokken and Quiet Riot). A few years later Jack Russell had some health issues and could not perform with Great White, although they had some booked commitments. Apparently if you ask Mark Kendall he will tell you that Jack Russell was a drunk fuck-up that jeopardized the professionalism of Great White (Kendall sobered up and became a born again Christian some years ago). If you ask Jack Russell he will tell you that he fell into a come for five days (not because of partying antics) and that the guys in Great White did not wait for him to recover, nor cared about his conditions while ill. They eventually settled all this in or out of court (can't remember really), so now we have a band called Jack Russell's Great White and another going under the original monicker of Great White featuring Kendall, Lardie, Desbrow, some bass dude and Terry Ilous on vocals (previously with XYZ, a band whose debut was also produced by Don Dokken, just like Great White's first ep, and then moved on to a more blues based approached).

When I saw Great White back in 2008, Jack Russell did actually look like a fuck up... he fell onstage during the first song! But he sang alright, I think he was just a bit clumsy. Before going to the gig I had read somewhere that the band had stopped playing the track "Desert Moon" because that was the song they played when the accident occurred... Well, they played that song on the very concert I attended, so they had either changed their mind or my information was not accurate to begin with...

Same ridiculous double band situation happened with L.A. Guns... one with Tracii Guns and the other with Phil Lewis and Steven Riley (ex WASP). Now both Tracii and Phil Lewis play in the same incarnation of LA Guns... They are due to play here in Milan next sunday with TNT. I might as well go. I'll see.

I love reading your tales of rock n roll, Skully. Keep them coming. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you! I think I will. You see, I don't get many outlets for this hobby of mine eheh

Sure I have my share of good rocking friends, but most of the time they are content with, well, rocking! I also fancy mythology (or gossip, if you will)! :D

Speaking of GW, I used to have Facebook and when I did, I had Mark Kendall among my connections. He posted incredibly often, almost to the point of being annoying. His typical post was a count of how many days he had spent in the light of the Lord without touching a beer, but sometimes he would also rant about Jack Russell. 

I'm in no position to judge either of the two, yet I cannot help but sympathize a tidy bit more for Jack Russell in this feud.

I remember an incredibly harsh comment by Kendall in which he said that Russell was blessed with his voice, but never did anything to capitalize on his own talent. Like he couldn't compose music and barely came up with lyrics or something like that. I don't know nor care if it's true. What I do know is that back in the day Jack had an incredible voice!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I can't speak to Axl being cool, but it is cool that he is performing with the band. On another subject I have increasing respect for Skid Row having recently watched a "heavyist guest performances on SNL" video which was mostly some really boring grunge shit. The front man in that band is pretty lively and entertaining. I saw them open for Bon Jovi in the late 80s (chaperoning my little sister if you were to wonder why) , I enjoyed Bon Jovi actually, and at the time thought that Skid Row was sketchy and gross. To bad I didn't really know what i was missing, but if you can't see the guys facial expressions you are missing the show. That was at Old Orchard Beach for those interested in classic Maine Venues.

card00542_fr.jpg?fit=600,385&ssl=1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, GorboGorboze said:

I can't speak to Axl being cool, but it is cool that he is performing with the band. On another subject I have increasing respect for Skid Row having recently watched a "heavyist guest performances on SNL" video which was mostly some really boring grunge shit. The front man in that band is pretty lively and entertaining. I saw them open for Bon Jovi in the late 80s (chaperoning my little sister if you were to wonder why) , I enjoyed Bon Jovi actually, and at the time thought that Skid Row was sketchy and gross. To bad I didn't really know what i was missing, but if you can't see the guys facial expressions you are missing the show. That was at Old Orchard Beach for those interested in classic Maine Venues.

card00542_fr.jpg?fit=600,385&ssl=1

So cool! Thanx for sharing the memory!

Skid Row created two incredibly good records. "Slave to the Grind" is very metalhead friendly. And it got to number one on Billboard!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Skull_Kollektor said:

So cool! Thanx for sharing the memory!

Skid Row created two incredibly good records. "Slave to the Grind" is very metalhead friendly. And it got to number one on Billboard!

Make that three incredibly good records. Yes, the first two are untouchable, but 'Subhuman Race' is an underrated classic. Tracks like 'My Enemy', 'Frozen' and 'Eileen' are anthems.

Seb Bach is touring Australia later in the year and Belief and I are going. I actually quite like his solo albums too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have "Subhuman Race" and for some reason I also have a limited edition promo single CD from that periodo. 

The songs in that record never stuck with me. It's quite abrasive, but not in the same groovy way of "Slave to the Grind". I have this recollection of a punkier record.

I'll give it another spin today, maybe I overlooked it!

Say hello to Baz!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On 4/26/2017 at 9:38 PM, True Belief said:

 

Tracii Guns & Phil

Lewis together - then no other version exists as far as I'm concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

LA Guns with Tracii are touring! Are you going? Should we go??!

On 8/11/2017 at 6:06 PM, PvtHudson206 said:

Motley Crue is the shit. Other than that, I don't have much interest in this particular sub-genre. 

Motley Crue are one of the all time greats. Fantastic band, with highs and lows like every band worth their salt should have. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well Mötley Crüe's first two albums are incredible records. Such an odd set of characters that somehow managed to get a great sound together. Those first two albums are close to perfect, though Come On And Dance is a really dreadful unfortunate number. But this was before the 80s started derailing. In the late 80s most band lost their way including Mötley Crüe who made mostly terrible records with maybe the occasional track that you're able to stand if it hasn't been played to death already.

Strangely enough Vince Neal of all the guys made a great solo album when he got kicked out of the band. Who could have guessed? Steve Stevens plays guitar on it and the drums are driving the right way. I think it was called Exposed. Great songs and more notably great instrumentation.

Saying that, I must admit that Poison with Richie Kotzen made a decent album.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well Mötley Crüe's first two albums are incredible records. Such an odd set of characters that somehow managed to get a great sound together. Those first two albums are close to perfect, though Come On And Dance is a really dreadful unfortunate number. But this was before the 80s started derailing. In the late 80s most band lost their way including Mötley Crüe who made mostly terrible records with maybe the occasional track that you're able to stand if it hasn't been played to death already.

Strangely enough Vince Neal of all the guys made a great solo album when he got kicked out of the band. Who could have guessed? Steve Stevens plays guitar on it and the drums are driving the right way. I think it was called Exposed. Great songs and more notably great instrumentation.

Saying that, I must admit that Poison with Richie Kotzen made a decent album.


Yes Vince Neil did release a fine solo album Exposed and the follow up Carved in Stone was ok too. His covers album Tattoos & Tequila is surprisingly very good - Mainly because the backing band is so tight and the sound is big and full (kinda like Vince).

Poison’s debut is both the best and worst thing they ever did. I love it. Flesh & Blood goes ok and Native Tongue with the aforementioned Kotzen certainly their most mature album but it’s so far removed from the trashy sound of the early years that I can’t get into it tbh. Strange to think in 2018 I’m still referencing Poison lol. Who’d have thought.....
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, True Belief said:

 


Yes Vince Neil did release a fine solo album Exposed and the follow up Carved in Stone was ok too. His covers album Tattoos & Tequila is surprisingly very good - Mainly because the backing band is so tight and the sound is big and full (kinda like Vince).

Poison’s debut is both the best and worst thing they ever did. I love it. Flesh & Blood goes ok and Native Tongue with the aforementioned Kotzen certainly their most mature album but it’s so far removed from the trashy sound of the early years that I can’t get into it tbh. Strange to think in 2018 I’m still referencing Poison lol. Who’d have thought.....

 

You and I spend an inordinate amount of time discussing these corny albums, that's for sure. Vinnie Vincent Invasion! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, deathstorm said:

I don’t this ain’t glam metal or hair metal hey @Requiem and @True Belief do you guys remember Gary Moore’s rock albums like wild frontier with  two great songs over the hills and far away and wild frontier 

I've never really listened to Gary Moore, but I do know that the mighty Bob Daisley played bass on several of his albums as well as toured with him. I read about it in Bob Daisley's epic autobiography 'For Facts Sake'. Available now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


  • Join Metal Forum

    joinus-home.jpg

  • Our picks

    • Whichever tier of thrash metal you consigned Sacred Reich back in the 80's/90's they still had their moments.  "Ignorance" & "Surf Nicaragura" did a great job of establishing the band, whereas "The American Way" just got a little to comfortable and accessible (the title track grates nowadays) for my ears.  A couple more records better left forgotten about and then nothing for twenty three years.  2019 alone has now seen three releases from Phil Rind and co.  A live EP, a split EP with Iron Reagan and now a full length.

      Notable addition to the ranks for the current throng of releases is former Machine Head sticksman, Dave McClean.  Love or hate Machine Head, McClean is a more than capable drummer and his presence here is felt from the off with the opening and title track kicking things off with some real gusto.  'Divide & Conquer' and 'Salvation' muddle along nicely, never quite reaching any quality that would make my balls tingle but comfortable enough.  The looming build to 'Manifest Reality' delivers a real punch when the song starts proper.  Frenzied riffs and drums with shots of lead work to hold the interest.


      There's a problem already though (I know, I am such a fucking mood hoover).  I don't like Phil's vocals.  I never had if I am being honest.  The aggression to them seems a little forced even when they are at their best on tracks like 'Manifest Reality'.  When he tries to sing it just feels weak though ('Salvation') and tracks lose real punch.  Give him a riffy number such as 'Killing Machine' and he is fine with the Reich engine (probably a poor choice of phrase) up in sixth gear.  For every thrashy riff there's a fair share of rock edged, local bar act rhythm aplenty too.

      Let's not poo-poo proceedings though, because overall I actually enjoy "Awakening".  It is stacked full of catchy riffs that are sticky on the old ears.  Whilst not as raw as perhaps the - brilliant - artwork suggests with its black and white, tattoo flash sheet style design it is enjoyable enough.  Yes, 'Death Valley' & 'Something to Believe' have no place here, saved only by Arnett and Radziwill's lead work but 'Revolution' is a fucking 80's thrash heyday throwback to the extent that if you turn the TV on during it you might catch a new episode of Cheers!

      3/5
      • Reputation Points

      • 10 replies
    • I
      • Reputation Points

      • 1 reply
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/52-vltimas-something-wicked-marches-in/
      • Reputation Points

      • 3 replies

    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/48-candlemass-the-door-to-doom/
      • Reputation Points

      • 1 reply
    • Full length number 19 from overkill certainly makes a splash in the energy stakes, I mean there's some modern thrash bands that are a good two decades younger than Overkill who can only hope to achieve the levels of spunk that New Jersey's finest produce here.  That in itself is an achievement, for a band of Overkill's stature and reputation to be able to still sound relevant four decades into their career is no mean feat.  Even in the albums weaker moments it never gets redundant and the energy levels remain high.  There's a real sense of a band in a state of some renewed vigour, helped in no small part by the addition of Jason Bittner on drums.  The former Flotsam & Jetsam skinsman is nothing short of superb throughout "The Wings of War" and seems to have squeezed a little extra out of the rest of his peers.

      The album kicks of with a great build to opening track "Last Man Standing" and for the first 4 tracks of the album the Overkill crew stomp, bash and groove their way to a solid level of consistency.  The lead work is of particular note and Blitz sounds as sneery and scathing as ever.  The album is well produced and mixed too with all parts of the thrash machine audible as the five piece hammer away at your skull with the usual blend of chugging riffs and infectious anthems.  


      There are weak moments as mentioned but they are more a victim of how good the strong tracks are.  In it's own right "Distortion" is a solid enough - if not slightly varied a journey from the last offering - but it just doesn't stand up well against a "Bat Shit Crazy" or a "Head of a Pin".  As the album draws to a close you get the increasing impression that the last few tracks are rescued really by some great solos and stomping skin work which is a shame because trimming of a couple of tracks may have made this less obvious. 

      4/5
      • Reputation Points

      • 4 replies
×
×
  • Create New...