Hair metal/ Glam metal

metallikole1999

On 4/22/2017 at 3:47 AM, Skull_Kollektor said:

Ahah yes, they don't make eponymous debuts this good anymore, these days...

It's kinda sad that Great White is now split into two bands... One with Jack Russell and one with Mark Kendall...

Mister Kendall might have been responsible for much of the music, but Jack Russell's voice is amazing! Too bad that he had the worst looks of the whole Sunset Strip... If Vince Neil's looks (up until 1991, of course), Jack Russell's pipes and Diamond Dave's antics could be merged into a single front man it would be the ultimate rock and roll Frankenstein!

Your right on top of what gives with Great White, I'd need to look up the details but I thought a few of the band members died on stage in a pyrotechnics catastrophe. Maybe it was the drummer alone who died? Anyway I don't know anything about the subsequent bands, but I'd be intrigued. Dudes vocals are tremendous, that I don't need to research.

Wikipedia points out that it was a vocalist and guitar player, Ty Longley, who died in a failed attempt to save his guitar. 

If you read Wikipedia then you already know the whole story about that accident.

It wasn't actually Great White, it was Jack Russell's Great White featuring Mark Kendall as a special guest. Jack Russell is the original singer and Mark Kendall is the original guitarist of the original Great White. The poor guy who died was the guitarist in Jack Russell's solo band, billed by the name of Jack Russell's Great White. 

Following the incident, the original Great White DID reunite with both Jack Russell and Mark Kendall back into the fold. I was lucky enough to see them play live in Milan in this incarnation, which also featured 80's drummer Audie Desbrow, 80's keyboardist/guitarist Michel Lardie and Sean McNabb (a fella associated with many acts, including Dokken and Quiet Riot). A few years later Jack Russell had some health issues and could not perform with Great White, although they had some booked commitments. Apparently if you ask Mark Kendall he will tell you that Jack Russell was a drunk fuck-up that jeopardized the professionalism of Great White (Kendall sobered up and became a born again Christian some years ago). If you ask Jack Russell he will tell you that he fell into a come for five days (not because of partying antics) and that the guys in Great White did not wait for him to recover, nor cared about his conditions while ill. They eventually settled all this in or out of court (can't remember really), so now we have a band called Jack Russell's Great White and another going under the original monicker of Great White featuring Kendall, Lardie, Desbrow, some bass dude and Terry Ilous on vocals (previously with XYZ, a band whose debut was also produced by Don Dokken, just like Great White's first ep, and then moved on to a more blues based approached).

When I saw Great White back in 2008, Jack Russell did actually look like a fuck up... he fell onstage during the first song! But he sang alright, I think he was just a bit clumsy. Before going to the gig I had read somewhere that the band had stopped playing the track "Desert Moon" because that was the song they played when the accident occurred... Well, they played that song on the very concert I attended, so they had either changed their mind or my information was not accurate to begin with...

Same ridiculous double band situation happened with L.A. Guns... one with Tracii Guns and the other with Phil Lewis and Steven Riley (ex WASP). Now both Tracii and Phil Lewis play in the same incarnation of LA Guns... They are due to play here in Milan next sunday with TNT. I might as well go. I'll see.

On 24/04/2017 at 2:02 AM, Skull_Kollektor said:

If you read Wikipedia then you already know the whole story about that accident.

It wasn't actually Great White, it was Jack Russell's Great White featuring Mark Kendall as a special guest. Jack Russell is the original singer and Mark Kendall is the original guitarist of the original Great White. The poor guy who died was the guitarist in Jack Russell's solo band, billed by the name of Jack Russell's Great White. 

Following the incident, the original Great White DID reunite with both Jack Russell and Mark Kendall back into the fold. I was lucky enough to see them play live in Milan in this incarnation, which also featured 80's drummer Audie Desbrow, 80's keyboardist/guitarist Michel Lardie and Sean McNabb (a fella associated with many acts, including Dokken and Quiet Riot). A few years later Jack Russell had some health issues and could not perform with Great White, although they had some booked commitments. Apparently if you ask Mark Kendall he will tell you that Jack Russell was a drunk fuck-up that jeopardized the professionalism of Great White (Kendall sobered up and became a born again Christian some years ago). If you ask Jack Russell he will tell you that he fell into a come for five days (not because of partying antics) and that the guys in Great White did not wait for him to recover, nor cared about his conditions while ill. They eventually settled all this in or out of court (can't remember really), so now we have a band called Jack Russell's Great White and another going under the original monicker of Great White featuring Kendall, Lardie, Desbrow, some bass dude and Terry Ilous on vocals (previously with XYZ, a band whose debut was also produced by Don Dokken, just like Great White's first ep, and then moved on to a more blues based approached).

When I saw Great White back in 2008, Jack Russell did actually look like a fuck up... he fell onstage during the first song! But he sang alright, I think he was just a bit clumsy. Before going to the gig I had read somewhere that the band had stopped playing the track "Desert Moon" because that was the song they played when the accident occurred... Well, they played that song on the very concert I attended, so they had either changed their mind or my information was not accurate to begin with...

Same ridiculous double band situation happened with L.A. Guns... one with Tracii Guns and the other with Phil Lewis and Steven Riley (ex WASP). Now both Tracii and Phil Lewis play in the same incarnation of LA Guns... They are due to play here in Milan next sunday with TNT. I might as well go. I'll see.

I love reading your tales of rock n roll, Skully. Keep them coming. 

Thank you! I think I will. You see, I don't get many outlets for this hobby of mine eheh

Sure I have my share of good rocking friends, but most of the time they are content with, well, rocking! I also fancy mythology (or gossip, if you will)! :D

Speaking of GW, I used to have Facebook and when I did, I had Mark Kendall among my connections. He posted incredibly often, almost to the point of being annoying. His typical post was a count of how many days he had spent in the light of the Lord without touching a beer, but sometimes he would also rant about Jack Russell. 

I'm in no position to judge either of the two, yet I cannot help but sympathize a tidy bit more for Jack Russell in this feud.

I remember an incredibly harsh comment by Kendall in which he said that Russell was blessed with his voice, but never did anything to capitalize on his own talent. Like he couldn't compose music and barely came up with lyrics or something like that. I don't know nor care if it's true. What I do know is that back in the day Jack had an incredible voice!

• 1 month later...

I can't speak to Axl being cool, but it is cool that he is performing with the band. On another subject I have increasing respect for Skid Row having recently watched a "heavyist guest performances on SNL" video which was mostly some really boring grunge shit. The front man in that band is pretty lively and entertaining. I saw them open for Bon Jovi in the late 80s (chaperoning my little sister if you were to wonder why) , I enjoyed Bon Jovi actually, and at the time thought that Skid Row was sketchy and gross. To bad I didn't really know what i was missing, but if you can't see the guys facial expressions you are missing the show. That was at Old Orchard Beach for those interested in classic Maine Venues.

card00542_fr.jpg?fit=600,385&ssl=1

5 hours ago, GorboGorboze said:

I can't speak to Axl being cool, but it is cool that he is performing with the band. On another subject I have increasing respect for Skid Row having recently watched a "heavyist guest performances on SNL" video which was mostly some really boring grunge shit. The front man in that band is pretty lively and entertaining. I saw them open for Bon Jovi in the late 80s (chaperoning my little sister if you were to wonder why) , I enjoyed Bon Jovi actually, and at the time thought that Skid Row was sketchy and gross. To bad I didn't really know what i was missing, but if you can't see the guys facial expressions you are missing the show. That was at Old Orchard Beach for those interested in classic Maine Venues.

card00542_fr.jpg?fit=600,385&ssl=1

So cool! Thanx for sharing the memory!

Skid Row created two incredibly good records. "Slave to the Grind" is very metalhead friendly. And it got to number one on Billboard!

13 hours ago, Skull_Kollektor said:

So cool! Thanx for sharing the memory!

Skid Row created two incredibly good records. "Slave to the Grind" is very metalhead friendly. And it got to number one on Billboard!

Make that three incredibly good records. Yes, the first two are untouchable, but 'Subhuman Race' is an underrated classic. Tracks like 'My Enemy', 'Frozen' and 'Eileen' are anthems.

Seb Bach is touring Australia later in the year and Belief and I are going. I actually quite like his solo albums too.

I have "Subhuman Race" and for some reason I also have a limited edition promo single CD from that periodo. 

The songs in that record never stuck with me. It's quite abrasive, but not in the same groovy way of "Slave to the Grind". I have this recollection of a punkier record.

I'll give it another spin today, maybe I overlooked it!

Say hello to Baz!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On 4/26/2017 at 9:38 PM, True Belief said:

Tracii Guns & Phil

Lewis together - then no other version exists as far as I'm concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LA Guns with Tracii are touring! Are you going? Should we go??!

On 8/11/2017 at 6:06 PM, PvtHudson206 said:

Motley Crue is the shit. Other than that, I don't have much interest in this particular sub-genre. 

Motley Crue are one of the all time greats. Fantastic band, with highs and lows like every band worth their salt should have. 

Well Mötley Crüe's first two albums are incredible records. Such an odd set of characters that somehow managed to get a great sound together. Those first two albums are close to perfect, though Come On And Dance is a really dreadful unfortunate number. But this was before the 80s started derailing. In the late 80s most band lost their way including Mötley Crüe who made mostly terrible records with maybe the occasional track that you're able to stand if it hasn't been played to death already.

Strangely enough Vince Neal of all the guys made a great solo album when he got kicked out of the band. Who could have guessed? Steve Stevens plays guitar on it and the drums are driving the right way. I think it was called Exposed. Great songs and more notably great instrumentation.

Saying that, I must admit that Poison with Richie Kotzen made a decent album.

Well Mötley Crüe's first two albums are incredible records. Such an odd set of characters that somehow managed to get a great sound together. Those first two albums are close to perfect, though Come On And Dance is a really dreadful unfortunate number. But this was before the 80s started derailing. In the late 80s most band lost their way including Mötley Crüe who made mostly terrible records with maybe the occasional track that you're able to stand if it hasn't been played to death already.

Strangely enough Vince Neal of all the guys made a great solo album when he got kicked out of the band. Who could have guessed? Steve Stevens plays guitar on it and the drums are driving the right way. I think it was called Exposed. Great songs and more notably great instrumentation.

Saying that, I must admit that Poison with Richie Kotzen made a decent album.

Yes Vince Neil did release a fine solo album Exposed and the follow up Carved in Stone was ok too. His covers album Tattoos & Tequila is surprisingly very good - Mainly because the backing band is so tight and the sound is big and full (kinda like Vince).

Poison’s debut is both the best and worst thing they ever did. I love it. Flesh & Blood goes ok and Native Tongue with the aforementioned Kotzen certainly their most mature album but it’s so far removed from the trashy sound of the early years that I can’t get into it tbh. Strange to think in 2018 I’m still referencing Poison lol. Who’d have thought.....

2 hours ago, True Belief said:

Yes Vince Neil did release a fine solo album Exposed and the follow up Carved in Stone was ok too. His covers album Tattoos & Tequila is surprisingly very good - Mainly because the backing band is so tight and the sound is big and full (kinda like Vince).

Poison’s debut is both the best and worst thing they ever did. I love it. Flesh & Blood goes ok and Native Tongue with the aforementioned Kotzen certainly their most mature album but it’s so far removed from the trashy sound of the early years that I can’t get into it tbh. Strange to think in 2018 I’m still referencing Poison lol. Who’d have thought.....

You and I spend an inordinate amount of time discussing these corny albums, that's for sure. Vinnie Vincent Invasion! 

4 hours ago, deathstorm said:

I don’t this ain’t glam metal or hair metal hey @Requiem and @True Belief do you guys remember Gary Moore’s rock albums like wild frontier with  two great songs over the hills and far away and wild frontier 

I've never really listened to Gary Moore, but I do know that the mighty Bob Daisley played bass on several of his albums as well as toured with him. I read about it in Bob Daisley's epic autobiography 'For Facts Sake'. Available now. 

• 1 year later...