Hair metal/ Glam metal

metallikole1999

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Last few weeks I am listening to Dokken and band called Steel Heart. It's singer and guitarists are from Balkans as I am and singer's range is apsurd, his vocal range belongs to, as my friend that introduced me to them said, counter-tenor which is highest vocal male group. That really amazes me and I think that they are worth of attention. Also Yngwie has hair metal material. I highly recommend his albums Odyssey, Trilogy, Eclipse and Fire and Ice. They have some pretty cool hair metal things. If you decide to listen to them I wish you to enjoy in their music. \m/

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2014 at 9:17 PM, metallikole1999 said:

Where are the hair band threads at? Just because a lot of people don't like it doesn't mean that everybody doesn't like it. I dont really care if there's a thread about it on here or not, but I figured I post one anyway. What do you guys think of Motley Crue, Tesla, Guns N' Roses, Skid Row, Poison, Cinderella, or other 80s hair bands? Who's your favorite? What are the best glam albums?

Glam metal is OK, but it's not as heavy as the other metal sub-genres. I think that Mötley Crüe is the heaviest-sounding glam metal band.

On 1/9/2017 at 6:14 PM, True Belief said:

Dokken rocks. Well......early Dokken before Don lost his range...

I agree. Breaking The Chains is a great song.

7 hours ago, MetalheadFromBama said:

Glam metal is OK, but it's not as heavy as the other metal sub-genres. I think that Mötley Crüe is the heaviest-sounding glam metal band.

Yeah, I think the crue has a couple songs that I could maybe consider traditional heavy metal... if I was wasted... and not paying attention... but seriously though, I'll admit they do have a couple songs with some good riffs. But the rest of it, party music about drugs and fucking things. And I cannot stand when my dad decides to put on motley crue and sing along and sound EXACTLY LIKE FUCKING VINCE NEIL

Oh God oh shit oh jeez I gotta play Exodus to get the fucking song out of my head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How did I miss this thread? Actually, how did I miss this forum all together? 

I'm a big fan of 'hair metal' or whatever you want to call it. The Sunset Strip sound. There's a joie de vivre that doesn't really exist these days. 

Motley Crue and Skid Row are two of my favourite bands since childhood and were basically gateway bands for me. Albums like 'Dr Feelgood' and 'Slave to the Grind' are pretty untouchable rock albums. I still listen to both of them semi-regularly. 

I also really love Warrant. I actually think they are an underrated band, despite the whole 'Cherry Pie' thing. The first two Warrant albums are brilliant. Jani Lane was a star. 

Cinderella are also a pretty good band. They had real quality as a blues band I reckon and if they had a cooler name they could have gone far. The problem with putting all your chips into the hair metal genre is it's just too hard to change when it all goes south. Who the fuck wanted to see a band called Cinderella after 'Nevermind' came out? 

What else? Poison are terrible. I was listening to 'Open Up and Say Ahhh' a few months ago when I had my big hair metal kick and it's just a terrible album. I can't believe I used to love it when I was 9 years old. Everything about it sucks. The production is weak and strange, the vocals are weirdly reverbed, the bass doesn't exist and it's just thin thin thin. Skinny Bop. 

But yeah, go hair metal/glam. Good stuff. 

Warrant was good, yeah. I just like the overblown bravado of the genre. As for Poison, maybe you absolutely right about them, but they really mastered the art of flitting about on stage like a bunch of song birds with billowy scarves and bandannas, you have to give them credit for that at any rate. A year or so I was in deep looking at all kinds of sleaze rock, it's amazing how much of that stuff was made.

Poison-party-pretty

Dude is wearing a Poison t-shirt, what a douchebag! I just totally lost respect for these sellouts!

My thoughts on this subject won't surprise anyone. I see glam as selling the image first and foremost with musicality being very much an afterthought. The music suffers greatly for this in my opinion and I can think of literally no glam band I would sit down and go wow this is great stuff. I will admit that it's a genre I haven't spent a great deal of time exploring - my interests lie elsewhere - so this opinion may be overly harsh.

On 30/01/2017 at 1:41 AM, GorboGorboze said:

Warrant was good, yeah. I just like the overblown bravado of the genre. As for Poison, maybe you absolutely right about them, but they really mastered the art of flitting about on stage like a bunch of song birds with billowy scarves and bandannas, you have to give them credit for that at any rate. A year or so I was in deep looking at all kinds of sleaze rock, it's amazing how much of that stuff was made.

Poison-party-pretty

Dude is wearing a Poison t-shirt, what a douchebag! I just totally lost respect for these sellouts!

Firstly, great photo hahaha. And yes, the old 'wearing my band's shirt' thing. I actually don't mind it - my friend hates it. It's a bit dorky, although looking at this photo I think the self-worn band shirt is the least of their image problems hahaha. 

On 01/02/2017 at 1:54 PM, RelentlessOblivion said:

My thoughts on this subject won't surprise anyone. I see glam as selling the image first and foremost with musicality being very much an afterthought. The music suffers greatly for this in my opinion and I can think of literally no glam band I would sit down and go wow this is great stuff. I will admit that it's a genre I haven't spent a great deal of time exploring - my interests lie elsewhere - so this opinion may be overly harsh.

I think in many cases you're right - there are heaps of very shoddy glam bands from back in the day. But the good ones are actually really good (at least in my opinion). Good as in, I would put them on now, or any time, sort of good. Some of the bands - or rather their key one or two members - had real talent. Like I said: Jani Lane. 

Ratt were great (Crosby & DeMartini both quality guitarist and Pearcy's vocals perfect for the sound); Faster Pussycat were a bit hit & miss but the debut & 'Wake Me When It's Over' both receive regular spins from me even today; LA Guns were a level

down from the best but a level above the rubbish which proliferated the scene towards the end; I agree Warrant were unfairly tarnished by Cherry Pie and put out some quality stuff along the way (Dog Eat Dog a highlight); Black n Blue (Tommy Thayer before he became ACE) had their moments. There's heaps more...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

I love it all. And own (almost) it all. I have a hard time picking up a single favorite glam metal band... but I have no doubt about the single most relevant album of the era. "Appetite for Destruction". The great thing about that record is that if you are a casual listener, someone who doesn't know shit about rock and roll, you're gonna love it.

Again, if you are someone who has done all the homework, someone who owns all the "hip" wild rock and roll records (the first two NY Dolls, the Pistols, the first run of Aerosmith records, all the stuff by Hanoi Rocks, by Nazareth, the punk shit Duff loves) as well as all the records of those who preceded Guns on the strip (Motley, Quiet Riot, Ratt, Dokken, Great White, Shark Island, Odin, London, Stryper, you name it), came along Guns (LA Guns, Tesla, Faster Pussycat, Poison, Warrant, Rock City Angels) or followed in their wake (Bang Tango, Asphalt Ballet, Circus of Power, Skid Row, Spread Eagle - although these two heralded from the East Coast), YOU ARE STILL GONNA ACKNOWLEDGE the superiority and the be-all-end-all-ness of "Appetite".

Let's face it... it's the ultimate badass street-wise yet major backed record.

It has been noted here that a lot of these bands differ quite a lot from each other. Of course they do! But so did Saxon, Priest, Motorhead, Maiden, and the other british bands that defined the NWOBHM. Yet, there definitely exists a common ground between, say, Poison and Guns N Roses. Slash even auditioned for Poison, but ended up in Black Sheep instead (replacing Paul Gilbert!). And no matter how these bands tried to downplay the "metal" factor and stress their rock and roll roots, they ALL came from HEAVY METAL. Come think of it: many a Crue riff stemmed directly from "British Steel" ("Knock Em Dead" IS "Grinder" under the verses) and "Breaker" (Accept... "Use it or Lose it" on "Theatre of Pain" is "Breaker" itself, a bit twisted!) and "Wheels of Steel" (listen to the first few seconds of "Street Fighting Gang" and "Wild Side" in a row). Warrant used to cover "Living After Midnight" in their set. The first known band to have featured the vocal talents of Axl Rose was named... RAPID FIRE!

British Steel is the matrix of all things metal for the whole 80's decade. Wanna thrash? Go "Rapid Fire" and "Steeler". Wanna glam? Go "Living After Midnight"! Wanna power metal? Go "Breaking the Law"! 

JUDAS PRIEST RULES!

I pretty much despise this genre, except for Twisted Sister. Dee Snider is awesome. WASP are kinda fun, too, as are Hanoi Rocks and Mother Love Bone. And I have to admit, Mark Slaughter has a great voice... I just wish he was involved in a different genre.

If you want to see something cringingly hilarious, check out the hair metal periods of Celtic Frost, TSOL, Discharge, and Pantera.

Twisted Sister is very interesting. Basically they started out as yet another New York Dolls wannabe, prior to Dee Snider entering the picture.

When he did, what he brought to the table, once again, were the Birmingham influences: Black Sabbath and, above all, Judas Priest! Check out "Club Daze Vol. 1" and the track "Come Back" in particular. It's a 1978 or 1979 (can't really remember) demo that was produced by none other than Eddie Kramer, so it ends up sounding better than "Under the Blade". That "Come Back" track screams for vengeance! Proper (early) Priest galore!

His Judas Priest obsession is so evident that on Twisted Sister's debut album there's a tune called "SIN AFTER SIN"... Amazing how he literally took over Twisted Sister to became its exclusive songwriter.

Thank you Judas Priest for bringing heavy metal to the masses.

What about their "Love Is for Suckers" album? That's as hair metal as it gets! Complete with ghost soloing by Reb Beach of Winger fame because, let's admit it, both Jay Jay French and Eddie "Fingers" Ojeda might have had the charisma, but definitely not the chops (see Hear n Aid "Stars" and compare Ojeda's solo with those of pretty much anybody else apart from Donald "Buck Dharma" Roeser).

On 4/12/2017 at 5:28 PM, Skull_Kollektor said:

I love it all. And own (almost) it all. I have a hard time picking up a single favorite glam metal band... but I have no doubt about the single most relevant album of the era. "Appetite for Destruction". The great thing about that record is that if you are a casual listener, someone who doesn't know shit about rock and roll, you're gonna love it.

Again, if you are someone who has done all the homework, someone who owns all the "hip" wild rock and roll records (the first two NY Dolls, the Pistols, the first run of Aerosmith records, all the stuff by Hanoi Rocks, by Nazareth, the punk shit Duff loves) as well as all the records of those who preceded Guns on the strip (Motley, Quiet Riot, Ratt, Dokken, Great White, Shark Island, Odin, London, Stryper, you name it), came along Guns (LA Guns, Tesla, Faster Pussycat, Poison, Warrant, Rock City Angels) or followed in their wake (Bang Tango, Asphalt Ballet, Circus of Power, Skid Row, Spread Eagle - although these two heralded from the East Coast), YOU ARE STILL GONNA ACKNOWLEDGE the superiority and the be-all-end-all-ness of "Appetite".

Let's face it... it's the ultimate badass street-wise yet major backed record.

It has been noted here that a lot of these bands differ quite a lot from each other. Of course they do! But so did Saxon, Priest, Motorhead, Maiden, and the other british bands that defined the NWOBHM. Yet, there definitely exists a common ground between, say, Poison and Guns N Roses. Slash even auditioned for Poison, but ended up in Black Sheep instead (replacing Paul Gilbert!). And no matter how these bands tried to downplay the "metal" factor and stress their rock and roll roots, they ALL came from HEAVY METAL. Come think of it: many a Crue riff stemmed directly from "British Steel" ("Knock Em Dead" IS "Grinder" under the verses) and "Breaker" (Accept... "Use it or Lose it" on "Theatre of Pain" is "Breaker" itself, a bit twisted!) and "Wheels of Steel" (listen to the first few seconds of "Street Fighting Gang" and "Wild Side" in a row). Warrant used to cover "Living After Midnight" in their set. The first known band to have featured the vocal talents of Axl Rose was named... RAPID FIRE!

British Steel is the matrix of all things metal for the whole 80's decade. Wanna thrash? Go "Rapid Fire" and "Steeler". Wanna glam? Go "Living After Midnight"! Wanna power metal? Go "Breaking the Law"! 

JUDAS PRIEST RULES!

Nice post Skull, great to have you around and well on your way to a 200th post. Would you please put on an avatar though, It's like your hanging out in you underwear with that generic silhouette you're sporting. Slip into something more formal and join the club.

I've got a compilation called "Hollywood Rocks" that I love, but sadly have pretty well trashed out in the car with my lax CD handling skills. It's for CDs worth. The down side is I never know what band is doing what as I've got no liner notes because they are a booklet that does not fit into a CD sleeve.

I'm a lazy fuck, sorry about that pic thang... but thanks for appreciating!

I have that Hollywood Rocks box too, plus I have the Hollywood Rocks companion book, which is great! It's not the box booklet (which is great in its own right), it's a hard cover book filled with band pics and vintage fliers.

Also quite mandatory are the Hair Metal book and Marc Cantner's photo book about early Guns N Roses. As Hollywood as it gets! 

6 hours ago, GorboGorboze said:

Yes I enjoyed it very much, which stands to reason, as I've always loved an eponymous debut.

Ahah yes, they don't make eponymous debuts this good anymore, these days...

It's kinda sad that Great White is now split into two bands... One with Jack Russell and one with Mark Kendall...

Mister Kendall might have been responsible for much of the music, but Jack Russell's voice is amazing! Too bad that he had the worst looks of the whole Sunset Strip... If Vince Neil's looks (up until 1991, of course), Jack Russell's pipes and Diamond Dave's antics could be merged into a single front man it would be the ultimate rock and roll Frankenstein!

On 14/04/2017 at 8:14 AM, GorboGorboze said:

Nice post Skull, great to have you around and well on your way to a 200th post. Would you please put on an avatar though, It's like your hanging out in you underwear with that generic silhouette you're sporting. Slip into something more formal and join the club.

I just spat my lemon lime and bitters and soda water all over my macbook. Hilarious post GoGo. I was just thinking the same thing about Skully's lack of avatar when I read it too. Well, not the underwear thing, but I was wondering why he doesn't have a pic haha.