Metal books

Black Milk

On 12/14/2018 at 9:12 AM, ParisVixen said:

I love the book, "The Gospel of Filth" + Marilyn Manson's, "the long road out of hell"--both were excellent reads!! 

Firstly, your compound name attracts me greatly. 

Secondly, and to the point, what did you think of ‘The Gospel of Filth’? I’ve been delaying getting it despite being a huge Cradle fan for over 20 years because I’m just unsure about the whole thing. I know you said you loved it, but could you tell me why please?

12 hours ago, Requiem said:

Firstly, your compound name attracts me greatly. 

Secondly, and to the point, what did you think of ‘The Gospel of Filth’? I’ve been delaying getting it despite being a huge Cradle fan for over 20 years because I’m just unsure about the whole thing. I know you said you loved it, but could you tell me why please?

Are you sure about your unsurety?

I second this fantastic book! Written by the darksome duo of Dani Filth and Gavin Baddeley. For a few hundred pages you'll venture into England's shadowy past, all things gothic, horror films, the occult, metal music, femme fatales etc. It's almost like an encyclopedia of those subjects and their place in our culture. Dani then correlates these themes to the Cradle cannon, so if you've liked anything lyrically or visually in Cradle of Filth, you'll find the paper trail here. Tons of outstanding photos, some poems...What more could one ask for?  

7 hours ago, Vampyrique said:

I second this fantastic book! Written by the darksome duo of Dani Filth and Gavin Baddeley. For a few hundred pages you'll venture into England's shadowy past, all things gothic, horror films, the occult, metal music, femme fatales etc. It's almost like an encyclopedia of those subjects and their place in our culture. Dani then correlates these themes to the Cradle cannon, so if you've liked anything lyrically or visually in Cradle of Filth, you'll find the paper trail here. Tons of outstanding photos, some poems...What more could one ask for?  

A glowing endorsement from someone whose taste I trust (despite your inability to see the greatness of The 69 Eyes). 

Looks like I’ll have to get hold of the book after all. I’m hoping he does an updated versions to include info on the two most recent albums which are most excellent. In fact I was put off buying it as it came out bang in the middle of what I consider to be Cradle’s worst era and I thought the book would be “infected by invalid behaviour” to quote Dimmu Borgir.

I love the book so much because it tells sort of a story about all things wicked, it just kind of a twisted book and I love that Dani Filth had a part in the making of the book...It reminds me of a Ripley's Believe It Or Not book except all of the facts are related to metal music and horror movies and so forth...just is a fantastic book, is worth the money if you decide to buy it!! 8-]] 

• 2 months later...

I erroneously posted the following message in the regular books thread in the Off Topic forum. Here it is where it belongs: 

Two coffee table books I've recently bought: 

'Iron Maiden Album by Album' by Martin Popoff. 

Hardcover 'coffee table' type book.

The concept is that Popoff and a revolving group of people (Marty Friedman, Mike Portnoy, Blaze Bayley and many others) look at every Maiden album and discuss its merits and shortcomings, with a plethora of images from the time. True Belief put me on to it as he had already bought it, and I'm glad I did. It's a fantastic window into each album, and the discussion is from a fan perspective but also looks at the technicality and behind-the-scenes side of things with some expert commentary.

There aren't too many revelations though, and some of those might have made it more interesting, but for a group of people talking casually about each Maiden album this is hard to beat. 7/10

'Kickstart my Heart - Motley Crue Day-by-Day' by Martin Popoff. 

Hardcover 'coffee table' type book.

It's not that I'm an obsessive Popoff fan, it's just that he puts out a lot of books. Like the amazing Ozzy Osbourne Day-by-Day that he did just prior to this one, the book contains a full timeline of the band, albums, events, debauchery that starts from the members' birth through to 2015. It's fun, informative, and Popoff doesn't pull any punches when it comes to Motley's foolish ways.

I bought this on the back of the Ozzy book being so wonderful, and I'm not disappointed. It's really an encyclopedia of all things Motley Crue. Even if you aren't strictly into Motley Crue this still offers an interesting window into the music industry and the 80s in general. 8/10

• 2 months later...

My latest (albeit not that recent) metal book purchase. Haven't actually read it yet, for shame, but anyway... a signed copy for face value, I had to grab it :)

KKDowning Book.jpg

*2020 edit* Also now picked up a signed copy of Rob Halford's book 😁 ...oh, and a copy of David Vincent's, for whatever reason.

• 3 months later...
On 12/20/2018 at 9:02 AM, Vampyrique said:

Thought I’d finally go and order ‘Gospel of the Filth’ only to find it’s basically out of print. 

It’s not available on Book Depository, and the small few available on eBay go from $135 (standard version) to $1,900 (fancy version)!

I’ll wait for the updated re-release in a couple of years...

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/30/2019 at 3:20 AM, Requiem said:

Thought I’d finally go and order ‘Gospel of the Filth’ only to find it’s basically out of print. 

It’s not available on Book Depository, and the small few available on eBay go from $135 (standard version) to $1,900 (fancy version)!

I’ll wait for the updated re-release in a couple of years...

I know the feeling all too well... Sometimes collecting books is harder than collecting souls, and faustian bargains are hard to come by.

Right, the updated re-release in a couple of years... are you hoping for kindle format or pdf?

13 hours ago, Vampyrique said:

I know the feeling all too well... Sometimes collecting books is harder than collecting souls, and faustian bargains are hard to come by.

Right, the updated re-release in a couple of years... are you hoping for kindle format or pdf?

I’m hoping to rekindle my passion for paper products, peremptorily. 

• 1 year later...