Favorite non-metal CD

Midi

There's lot of them... Love SRV's "Texas Flood" I like also some rap/hip-hop (what's the difference?), but only Polish - Łona, Fisz, MC Silk, L.U.C. are fucking great and From Polish rock I'm really into Lao Che, especially "Powstanie Warszawskie". Also Republika's "Nowe Sytuacje" (also exists english version Called "1984"). Trip-hop is kinda interesting. First CD which comes to my mind is "100th Window" by Massive Attack. Prog rock - King Crimson "In the court...", Rush "Moving Pictures" Other rock - QOTSA's "Songs for the deaf", LZ "4", Social Distortion "White Light..." They're just first things which came to my mind, I could write and write until the end of the internet...

• 9 months later...

Hmm let's see,  I don't think I have but one to reference.  I mean "Moving Pictures" is up there definitely but also I could put the first two Led Zepp records up there too.  If we are moving completely away from metal/rock then Prodigy's "Music For The Jilted Generation" gets regular plays, Miles Davis "Kind Of Blue" and Ornette Coleman "The Shape Of Jazz To Come" are massive for me.  Ice T's "Original Gangster" is my all time favourite gangster rap album.  Classical music?  Holst's The Planets most definitely.

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm let's see,  I don't think I have but one to reference.  I mean "Moving Pictures" is up there definitely but also I could put the first two Led Zepp records up there too.  If we are moving completely away from metal/rock then Prodigy's "Music For The Jilted Generation" gets regular plays, Miles Davis "Kind Of Blue" and Ornette Coleman "The Shape Of Jazz To Come" are massive for me.  Ice T's "Original Gangster" is my all time favourite gangster rap album.  Classical music?  Holst's The Planets most definitely.

I didn't think you were that fond of Led Zeppelin to be honest.

Ornette Coleman's The Shape of Jazz to Come is a great album and so is Kind of Blue. I prefer Bitches Brew above Kind of Blue, but ol' Miles didn't make a lot of bad stuff anyway, so yeah... :D

Yeah Miles Davis is one of those guys it's hard to go wrong with. I'll be the first to admit my knowledge of jazz is very limited indeed and Miles is the only artist whose music I actually own.

I'm a huge Pink Floyd fan :shock: and I know plenty say The Wall is over-rated but it was the first Floyd record I heard so my rating it so highly is as much sentimental as anything. I'd have 2112 just ahead of Moving Pictures as well. I'm sort of neutral on rap/hip hop I mean I like some stuff but not enough to buy it. Blues on the other hand I am big on. Muddy Waters is a favourite and I bought a 3 disc anthology of his work last year which sees fairly regular action. For clasical Tchiakovsky's 1819 and Richard Wagner's Ride Of The Valkyries (yeah, yeah I know) are personal favourites.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...

King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King
Genesis - Selling England by the Pound 
Gentle Giant - Octopus
Kansas - Leftoverture
The Clash - Combat Rock
The Damned - Machine Gun Etiquette 
The Stooges - Raw Power
Faith No More - Angel Dust
Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dreams
Blue Oyster Cult - Fire of Unknown Origin
Descendents - Milo Goes to College
Black Flag - Damaged
Rush - Hemispheres
The Mars Volta - Deloused in the Comatorium
Queens of the Stone Age - ...Like Clockwork
Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet

• 4 weeks later...

Favourite ever - Sonata no.2 (Chopin)

Ten other all-time favourites (in no particular order):

Nirvana - Bleach
Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
Faith No More - Angel Dust
Sparklehorse - Good Morning Spider
Grandaddy - Under The Western Freeway
Cop Shoot Cop - Room 429
Pulp - Intro
Morphine - Cure For Pain
Rage Against The Machine - s/t
The White Birch - Star Is Just A Sun

Current favourites (I've got into the habit of listening to nothing but death metal at home, and pretty much nothing but than these albums on my ipod):

Future Islands - The Far Field (because it's new, not because I like it more than their previous albums - which are also great)
Why? - Moh Lhean (also the latest by this band, but in their case I'd say it might well be their best)
The National - Boxer (not a recent release, but can't stop listening to it nonetheless)

I like all of the Nirvana albums. Bleach is my favourite, mainly because it's my number one drunk go-to record. But In Utero has some great tracks, as does Incesticide; and you can't really deny the power of Nevermind. Sure blew me away anyway, at the tender age of 11, when it was first released and my friend bought it on cassette. One of the greatest albums ever really, I'd say. And seems fairly safe to say that few of us would ever have heard Bleach (or indeed its contemporaries) if it wasn't for Nevermind. Don't think so many of us would have ended up all-but-abandoning metal (my first true love) if it wasn't for that album either, for that matter.

Grunge is just flat-out boring. It's like they decided to invent a genre where all compexity and technicality in both songwriting and musicianship weas banned (a bit like punk) but also where having any energy in your music was viewed as a bad thing. It sucked and thank god grundge is long dead.

7 minutes ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Grunge is just flat-out boring. It's like they decided to invent a genre where all compexity and technicality in both songwriting and musicianship weas banned (a bit like punk) but also where having any energy in your music was viewed as a bad thing. It sucked and thank god grundge is long dead.

What are you even talking about here? The big name grunge bands had tons of energy, especially early on, and while complexity/technicality wasn't a hallmark of the genre, look no further than Soundgarden for weird, deep, challenging songs full of meter shifts and phenomenal drumming. Not your thing perhaps? That's totally understandable. But listen to Louder Than Love or Badmotorfinger or Vs or Dirt and tell me they don't have energy.

The little grunge I ever bothered with has kind of a depressed vibe going on. Not in a doom or DSBM way that I could dig it just seemed mopey. That notion kind of stuck with me and whilst it may be an unfair judgement I honestly don't care enough to explore the genre further. It does nothing for me at all.