Favorite non-metal CD

Midi

4 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

The little grunge I ever bothered with has kind of a depressed vibe going on. Not in a doom or DSBM way that I could dig it just seemed mopey. That notion kind of stuck with me and whilst it may be an unfair judgement I honestly don't care enough to explore the genre further. It does nothing for me at all.

It's hard to generalise about grunge, because it didn't rise up as a genre - the media/industry just lumped a bunch of bands with any similarity to Nirvana together.

But on balance I'd say that grunge expressed angstyness at least as much as it did mopeyness, because of the aforementioned punk influence. Nirvana saw themselves as a punk band when they started out.

For me, it all had a refreshing sense of rebellion about it. And freedom. And spunk. 

But each to their own and all that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Tubeway Army - Replicas

Deutsch Amerikanische Freundschaft - Gold und Liebe

Laibach - Nova Akropola

Osamu Kitajima - Benzaiten

Hedningarna - Kaksi (& Trä)

Al Di Meola - Electric Rendezvous

Pretty much anything by Frank Zappa + a ton of other stuff that I could spend the rest of the day writing down, except that it would bore the living shit out of everybody, myself included. What can I say? I'm just a lover of good music.

• 2 years later...

Ok, I'll resurrect this thread with a few of my choices.

The Cure - Disintegration - this is my #1 album of all time regardless of genre. Disintegration just nails the sweet spot from start to finish and perfectly sums up that beautiful gloominess that Robert Smith & Co. are known for. Honestly, they really don't have a bad album although there are a few that I just don't reach for very often (Wish, Wild Mood Swings).

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue - one for turntable on lazy Sunday evenings with a nice pinot. The definitive jazz record for good reason. 

Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin, and Paco de Lucia - Friday Night in San Francisco - absolutley mind blowing collaboration from 3 of the best guitarists to ever live.

The Grateful Dead - Reckoning - sure their catalog is expansive and there are a ton to chose from. Most Dead fans have a preference for either their acoustic or electric output. I always felt their acoustic folk inspired stuff was their best. Not that the psychedelic noodling is inferior or anything. I don't get in the mood much for the Dead these days, but this is the one I go back to.

Trampled By Turtles - Stars and Satellites - my wife's favorite band and one of mine. I could choose several albums from their discography, but this was my first so I'll go with it. I've seen them live more than any other band save for Rush (which they will pass this year after I see them twice more). Excellent song writing, masterful musicianship, and catchy as hell. Live at First Avenue is a good place to start for those unfamiliar with the band.

Mazzy Star - She Hangs Brightly - although it doesn't contain the definitive Mazzy Star track (Fade Into You), this is their most complete album. Jangly psychedelic pop sung by a voice from heaven. Hope Sandoval could sing the menu from a diner and I would listen to it. Her solo projects are also worth checking out if you like Mazzy Star.

Van Morrison - Moondance - Into The Mystic is one of the greatest songs ever written. I would take it over Astral Weeks by a hair as his best.

I have two non-metal albums from the last decade that I go back to again and again when I am not in the mood for filth, annihilation and brutality:

All Them Witches - Dying Surfer Meets His Maker

Dorthia Cottrell - S/T

And of course, there is the one that has consistently captivated me since the week it came out 45 years ago when I was just a young lad of 15:

• 1 year later...

As for me, when I don't listen to Metal, I listen to Progressive Rock.

Spock's Beard (until the V album), Nemo (France), JPL (France), Ange (53 years of existence !), Tristan Décamps, Francis Décamps, Gens de la Lune.

I like as much the music which makes dream as the one which beats 😁

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join Metal Forum

joinus-home.jpg

• Our picks

• Whichever tier of thrash metal you consigned Sacred Reich back in the 80's/90's they still had their moments.  "Ignorance" & "Surf Nicaragura" did a great job of establishing the band, whereas "The American Way" just got a little to comfortable and accessible (the title track grates nowadays) for my ears.  A couple more records better left forgotten about and then nothing for twenty three years.  2019 alone has now seen three releases from Phil Rind and co.  A live EP, a split EP with Iron Reagan and now a full length.

Notable addition to the ranks for the current throng of releases is former Machine Head sticksman, Dave McClean.  Love or hate Machine Head, McClean is a more than capable drummer and his presence here is felt from the off with the opening and title track kicking things off with some real gusto.  'Divide & Conquer' and 'Salvation' muddle along nicely, never quite reaching any quality that would make my balls tingle but comfortable enough.  The looming build to 'Manifest Reality' delivers a real punch when the song starts proper.  Frenzied riffs and drums with shots of lead work to hold the interest.

There's a problem already though (I know, I am such a fucking mood hoover).  I don't like Phil's vocals.  I never had if I am being honest.  The aggression to them seems a little forced even when they are at their best on tracks like 'Manifest Reality'.  When he tries to sing it just feels weak though ('Salvation') and tracks lose real punch.  Give him a riffy number such as 'Killing Machine' and he is fine with the Reich engine (probably a poor choice of phrase) up in sixth gear.  For every thrashy riff there's a fair share of rock edged, local bar act rhythm aplenty too.

Let's not poo-poo proceedings though, because overall I actually enjoy "Awakening".  It is stacked full of catchy riffs that are sticky on the old ears.  Whilst not as raw as perhaps the - brilliant - artwork suggests with its black and white, tattoo flash sheet style design it is enjoyable enough.  Yes, 'Death Valley' & 'Something to Believe' have no place here, saved only by Arnett and Radziwill's lead work but 'Revolution' is a fucking 80's thrash heyday throwback to the extent that if you turn the TV on during it you might catch a new episode of Cheers!

3/5
      • Reputation Points

• 10 replies
    • I
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/52-vltimas-something-wicked-marches-in/
      • Reputation Points

• 3 replies

• https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/48-candlemass-the-door-to-doom/
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • Full length number 19 from overkill certainly makes a splash in the energy stakes, I mean there's some modern thrash bands that are a good two decades younger than Overkill who can only hope to achieve the levels of spunk that New Jersey's finest produce here.  That in itself is an achievement, for a band of Overkill's stature and reputation to be able to still sound relevant four decades into their career is no mean feat.  Even in the albums weaker moments it never gets redundant and the energy levels remain high.  There's a real sense of a band in a state of some renewed vigour, helped in no small part by the addition of Jason Bittner on drums.  The former Flotsam & Jetsam skinsman is nothing short of superb throughout "The Wings of War" and seems to have squeezed a little extra out of the rest of his peers.

The album kicks of with a great build to opening track "Last Man Standing" and for the first 4 tracks of the album the Overkill crew stomp, bash and groove their way to a solid level of consistency.  The lead work is of particular note and Blitz sounds as sneery and scathing as ever.  The album is well produced and mixed too with all parts of the thrash machine audible as the five piece hammer away at your skull with the usual blend of chugging riffs and infectious anthems.  

There are weak moments as mentioned but they are more a victim of how good the strong tracks are.  In it's own right "Distortion" is a solid enough - if not slightly varied a journey from the last offering - but it just doesn't stand up well against a "Bat Shit Crazy" or a "Head of a Pin".  As the album draws to a close you get the increasing impression that the last few tracks are rescued really by some great solos and stomping skin work which is a shame because trimming of a couple of tracks may have made this less obvious. 

4/5
      • Reputation Points

• 4 replies