Nu-Metal's Relevance

DeiExMachina

The whiny verse/screamed chorus/simplistic riff/weird haircut formula strikes me as ridiculously trite. I don't see myself taking the time to check out a band that would describe themselves as nu-metal. I listened to the first couple of Korn albums a little back when they came out, but I lost interest quickly. I got into Deftones and System Of A Down a while after that - I don't think of them as nu-metal (maybe aside from their first albums), but I know they get lumped in with the genre. For that matter, I used to enjoy Fear Factory's "Obsolete" and Sepultura's "Roots", which both have elements in common with nu-metal. But with the exception of Deftones, I haven't listened to that stuff in ages, and I haven't missed it.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My buddies and I all fell for the nu-metal promise back in about 1995.

I remember my friend first getting the 'Korn' album in 1995 and I got Deftones 'Adrenaline'. We really loved those bands and albums. Deftones 'Around the Fur' is probably my favourite, although I think the first three Korn albums, the first three Deftones and a couple of albums here and there are pretty good by today's standards. 

Korn were amazing back in 1994/5. Just blew everything out of the water as far as mainstream rock was concerned. I guess kind of like you had to be there when 'Reign of Blood' came out in 1986 (which I wasn't so I don't really get), you had to be there when the first Korn album dropped and the whole world suddenly started wearing ADIDAS clothes, including Max Cavalera and Robb Flynn. So hilarious in hindsight. I remember in the middle of summer my friend going to a local youth disco wearing a full black and white ADIDAS tracksuit and dreadlocks, sweating it out in the corner trying to look cool. Those were the days. 

I'm not afraid to admit that I was a bit of a Limp Bizkit fan around 1998-1999. I still maintain that 'Significant Other' is a fun and catchy album. 

Sorry, got a bit sidetracked there down memory lane. New nu-metal bands? Never heard any of them or even of the movement. I think once they hit Spineshank and One Minute Silence the genre had reached its expiration date.

Both of those bands are not that big, I don't think it's fair to say that Nu-metal is coming back in based off their existence. I didn't hate keychain, not really my thing but as far as Nu-metal goes I've seen worse song writing in more successful bands. I like a little nu-metal stuff, namely some Slipknot and Korn but would not consider myself a fan of the genre.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2017 at 11:46 AM, ClownGod214 said:

Ok, I'm new here, and trying to get  opinions on how everyone feels about The resurgence of  Nu-Metal? I have heard several new bands out there, like 'Keychain' and 'Darkc3ll' that are quite honestly pretty good. Any opinions?

@ClownGod214....Awesome to see you here brother!  You posted pretty much the same thing i was gonna post...lol...This is Brandon Smith by the way...lol

Ok imgur is a cunt, but eh, yeah that's pretty much how I feel about nu-metal. Why the fuck is it even called metal?

It was a misnomer created by mainstream music journalists who tried to lump it into something they don't understand. Same goes for glam metal and "melodic metalcore".

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

There's been kind of a nu metal revival attached to deathcore, which is pretty much as bad as it sounds - it's the douchiest scene of today drawing inspiration from the douchiest scene of the 00s. Emmure are one of the more obnoxious bands to do this.

Here's a decent article that explains everything: http://www.metalsucks.net/2011/10/24/is-nu-dethcore-the-next-big-thing-bouncewitme/ Though note that I disagree with its theory on hardcore.

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, GorboGorboze said:

If I saw a copy of Disturbed's album "Believe" for under $10 I would purchase it. Don't know if that is relevant here or not, is that new metal?

I would probably say that The Sickness is the only Disturbed Nu metal album and that Believe is more hard rock/alternative metal. Weirdly enough, I think I got Believe for $9.99.

I've never heard all of Ten Thousands fists, and personally I liked Believe way more than Indestructible. By the way I listened to my bosses Lamb of God CD, don't know which one. Pretty sure that is Nu-metal, but not fully sure. While the subject of Nu-metal is hot, I wanted to mention that I kind of dig the high production weirdness of the Nu-metal videos that I've seen. That is a fun aspect of Nu-metal even if they are fairly vapid as far as I can tell. Lot of lights and scowls and pyrotechnics and carefully selected outfits.

2 hours ago, GorboGorboze said:

I've never heard all of Ten Thousands fists, and personally I liked Believe way more than Indestructible.

Each to his own I guess.

2 hours ago, GorboGorboze said:

By the way I listened to my bosses Lamb of God CD, don't know which one. Pretty sure that is Nu-metal, but not fully sure.

I'm not trying to be an annoying and contrary arsehole every time you say something might be Nu-metal, but to me they seem more groove-metal/thrash/metalcore (depending on album or song).

Yesteday I read in a magazine that there is a new band that features George Lynch (of Dokken "rhymes with rokkin"), Doug Pinnick (of King's X) and... KoRn's drummer!

Well, it's no secret that Lynch likes to dabble with nu metal, rap metal and all that... Still I wonder why the hell is he doing this stuff. Wouldn't call this nu metal (save for a coupla effected riffs), it's more like "alternative" (which really isn't anymore, since now it's been done by anyone).

On the one hand I might admire Lynch for expanding his sound, but on the other hand I wish he'd shred like hell over some STRAIGHT heavy metal.

F++++d up.

18 minutes ago, MacabreEternal said:

Nothing Nu-Metal about that, I would go as far as to say it is in the wrong thread.

Well it's KoRn's drummer's side project after all... and I'd say KoRn are the single most important nu-metal band, but I could be wrong because I'm not an expert at all of this, say, "genre".

1 hour ago, Skull_Kollektor said:

Well it's KoRn's drummer's side project after all... and I'd say KoRn are the single most important nu-metal band, but I could be wrong because I'm not an expert at all of this, say, "genre".

If I put a dining chair in my garage it doesn't make it a dining room though.  This is essentially the rationale being employed here.  Alt rock was a closer, more accurate description as you say.

I'm no Korn expert, but that guy is definitely not the original Korn drummer. The original guy is called David Silvera or something like that. This current drummer only joined the band in 2010 or something. He's obviously a talented drummer, but he hardly personifies nu-metal or is in any way an originator of anything.