Greetings, Minions!

Quantumleaper90

Hey Everybody, My name is Steven. This is my first time checking out this forum here and I must say it looks promising. There seems to be much more activity going on here than the other forums and I like it! \m/ I've been a fan of metal my entire life - started out rocking to AC/DC and KISS (my parents favorite bands), went to Linkin Park and P.O.D. (nu-metal, I know, but come on we all had that phase), than I dabbled in the classics like Iron Maiden (all-time favorite band), Metallica, Dio, Judas Priest, etc. Than...I discovered Dark Tranquillity, that's when my life changed forever... For the better of course. I ditched all the "radio-friendly" bands (minus a few) I was listening to at the time and really dove into the realm of metal. I love any form of rock and metal, as long as it sounds great. The lyrics, guitar, drums, bass, vocals, everything must coalesce perfectly with each other to create something truly unique. I look forward to hearing from you all and have a good day! A few of my favorite bands, in no particular order: Iron Maiden, Dark Tranquillity, Amorphis, Scar Symmetry, Demon Hunter, Porcupine Tree, Protest the Hero, Gojira, The Black Dahlia Murder, Thought Chamber, Rings of Saturn, The Winery Dogs, Megadeth, Nevermore, Coheed and Cambria, DevilDriver, Becoming the Archetype, Firewind, Volbeat, Periphery, Spock's Beard, In Flames, Parkway Drive, Kataklysm, Judas Priest, Children of Bodom

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for the reply. Personally' date=' I'm more inclined to later albums by Amorphis when they got Tomi on vocals, but the older stuff is still great. Dark Tranquillity has been consistently putting out amazing albums throughout their entire career. My favorite recently has been Projector.[/quote'] Right on, well, you have company on the forum in that regard. My favorite albums by both bands are their first three, with Karelian Isthmus being my top Amorphis album (though I did like Pasi's voice a lot) and The Gallery being my favorite from DT. I have to admit I don't enjoy their later stuff personally. Who knows, maybe one day I'll come around...

Right on' date=' well, you have company on the forum in that regard. My favorite albums by both bands are their first three, with Karelian Isthmus being my top Amorphis album (though I did like Pasi's voice a lot) and The Gallery being my favorite from DT. I have to admit I don't enjoy their later stuff personally. Who knows, maybe one day I'll come around...[/quote'] The Gallery is a masterpiece for sure. I've been into Projector mostly because I've recently been listening to it a lot. I like that they tried some different things with that album. Construct I thought was really good also. Since we're talking about melodeath, do you have any suggestions for me?

Absolutely, in fact the moderator and I both posted some recommendation vids in our melodic death metal thread, here: http://metalforum.com/showthread.php?t=206 My favorite of the lesser known 90s melodeath, who I keep posting about lately, is A Canorous Quintet, their album Silence Of The World Beyond fucking rules. I love the first At The Gates album, not as big on their later stuff. You may like some of the melodic black metal from the same area and time period, too - Dawn, Vinterland, Naglfar... But check out that thread and see what grabs you. We also have recommendations threads in the death metal, black metal, and doom subforums. I'm not a huge fan of most modern stuff, but I'm getting an oddly progressive/melodic vibe from the Decrepit Birth album Diminishing Between Worlds, which I only just started listening to. Kind of like if Death went deathcore... You may even enjoy my newest album, Abject; you can check it out on bandcamp via the link in my sig. I'm always uncomfortable with plugging my own stuff, but I'm really proud of it, and based on your taste it might appeal to you. Edit - some other members, Yobo in particular, are much more up on modern melodeath and could probably toss you some good recommendations. Do you like old Katatonia or Opeth at all?

I'm not a huge fan of most modern stuff' date=' but I'm getting an oddly progressive/melodic vibe from the Decrepit Birth album Diminishing Between Worlds, which I only just started listening to. Kind of like if Death went deathcore...[/quote'] You should give Rings of Saturn a listen. Dingir is a great album, also there newest Lugal Ki En, from what I've heard thus far is amazing. And yes I do enjoy both Opeth and Katatonia. I've listened to most Katatonia albums starting from Tonight's Decision, haven't listened to much of their earlier work, but will definitely give it a go. As far as Opeth goes, I have enjoyed all of their music, including earlier albums. I have to say though that I enjoy Heritage the most, alongside Still Life.

You should give Rings of Saturn a listen. Dingir is a great album' date=' also there newest Lugal Ki En, from what I've heard thus far is amazing. And yes I do enjoy both Opeth and Katatonia. I've listened to most Katatonia albums starting from Tonight's Decision, haven't listened to much of their earlier work, but will definitely give it a go. As far as Opeth goes, I have enjoyed all of their music, including earlier albums. I have to say though that I enjoy Heritage the most, alongside Still Life.[/quote'] Cool, Tonight's Decision was the first one that I fell in love with from Katatonia. I love all of their stuff, I'm really a huge fan. "Brave Murder Day" and the "Sounds Of Decay" EP are excellent - from before they stopped using harsh vocals, featuring Åkerfeldt actually. If you dig those, you might like "Rain Without End" and "Grey Dawn" by October Tide, Jonas Renkse and Fred Norrman's side project from around that time (recently restarted without Jonas, and I don't like the new stuff). Diabolical Masquerade (Anders Nyström's black metal project from that period) is awesome as well, and Edge Of Sanity (one of many Dan Swano bands) has some great albums. Opeth has been another long time favorite of mine, but Ghost Reveries is my cutoff. Still Life is amazing, used to blast that in college. Lately I've been back on Orchid, can't get enough... Rings Of Saturn, I really dislike, although I've been opening up to more modern stuff over the past year. They exemplify what's always turned me off about newer tech death.

Other than Decrepit Birth, who I'm only beginning to enjoy, I've recently gotten into a bit of Fallujah, Severed Savior, Fit For An Autopsy, Sectu... hmm. I've been a big fan of Cephalic Carnage for years, they were at one point the only modern tech death band I could stomach. And I found myself not hating Necrophagist when I put it on again last month. I like some newer albums by old bands like Cannibal Corpse, Suffocation, Immolation. But really, the newest stuff that I'm super excited about eschews the "clean" modern sound and the flashy nature of tech death: Grave Miasma, Dead Congregation, Abyssal, the new Gorguts, a bit of Mitochondrion, Disma... and I've been getting back into black metal in a big way, especially Furia (POL - I highly recommend their first two albums), Averse Sefira, Jute Gyte, even developing a taste for Burzum. I was big on the second wave Scandinavian stuff when I was a teenager, but got out of it a while back. Edit - I forgot to mention Ulcerate and Anata, I've been really into them recently; an old favorite is Akercocke, I've always thought of them as sounding fairly "modern"; and Iceni put me onto Talanas last year, some interesting stuff going on there that I need to revisit.

Since I don't play an instrument myself, it's hard for me to distinguish between genres. So I'll just assume these are technical or at least have some elements in them. I recently just got into that type of metal. At first I didn't care for it, it felt very repetitive (the blast beats and playing guitar as fast as possible). I listened to some Fleshgod Apocalypse and loved Labyrinth, I thought the symphonic elements were beautiful. Then I got into Beyond Creation, (early) Thy Art Is Murder, Beyond Creation, Septicflesh, and Rings of Saturn. A friend of mine recommended Decrepit Birth a while back, but I have yet to give them a listen. Which album would you suggest?

Since I don't play an instrument myself, it's hard for me to distinguish between genres. So I'll just assume these are technical or at least have some elements in them. I recently just got into that type of metal. At first I didn't care for it, it felt very repetitive (the blast beats and playing guitar as fast as possible). I listened to some Fleshgod Apocalypse and loved Labyrinth, I thought the symphonic elements were beautiful. Then I got into Beyond Creation, (early) Thy Art Is Murder, Beyond Creation, Septicflesh, and Rings of Saturn. A friend of mine recommended Decrepit Birth a while back, but I have yet to give them a listen. Which album would you suggest?
As I said above, I've been particularly into Diminishing Between Worlds very recently. I'm honestly not a fan of the other bands you listed, but it seems like that album might appeal to you. The symphonic metal thing has rarely interested me; somewhat ironic, now that I'm doing harsh vocals for a string quartet. I think it's a great idea that's almost never done right.

Cool, Tonight's Decision was the first one that I fell in love with from Katatonia. I love all of their stuff, I'm really a huge fan. "Brave Murder Day" and the "Sounds Of Decay" EP are excellent - from before they stopped using harsh vocals, featuring Åkerfeldt actually. If you dig those, you might like "Rain Without End" and "Grey Dawn" by October Tide, Jonas Renkse and Fred Norrman's side project from around that time (recently restarted without Jonas, and I don't like the new stuff). Diabolical Masquerade (Anders Nyström's black metal project from that period) is awesome as well, and Edge Of Sanity (one of many Dan Swano bands) has some great albums. Opeth has been another long time favorite of mine, but Ghost Reveries is my cutoff. Still Life is amazing, used to blast that in college. Lately I've been back on Orchid, can't get enough... Rings Of Saturn, I really dislike, although I've been opening up to more modern stuff over the past year. They exemplify what's always turned me off about newer tech death.
Copy Cat:wink: heh

Other than Decrepit Birth, who I'm only beginning to enjoy, I've recently gotten into a bit of Fallujah, Severed Savior, Fit For An Autopsy, Sectu... hmm. I've been a big fan of Cephalic Carnage for years, they were at one point the only modern tech death band I could stomach. And I found myself not hating Necrophagist when I put it on again last month. I like some newer albums by old bands like Cannibal Corpse, Suffocation, Immolation. But really, the newest stuff that I'm super excited about eschews the "clean" modern sound and the flashy nature of tech death: Grave Miasma, Dead Congregation, Abyssal, the new Gorguts, a bit of Mitochondrion, Disma... and I've been getting back into black metal in a big way, especially Furia (POL - I highly recommend their first two albums), Averse Sefira, Jute Gyte, even developing a taste for Burzum. I was big on the second wave Scandinavian stuff when I was a teenager, but got out of it a while back. Edit - I forgot to mention Ulcerate and Anata, I've been really into them recently; an old favorite is Akercocke, I've always thought of them as sounding fairly "modern"; and Iceni put me onto Talanas last year, some interesting stuff going on there that I need to revisit.
Anata is like the only tech death band I like! Well, unless you consider Gorguts tech death.

Anata is like the only tech death band I like! Well' date=' unless you consider Gorguts tech death.[/quote'] Well, I guess if you're only picking one, Anata is a great choice. They easily get my pick as the best tech-death band of the 21st century, and have been extremely consistent in producing multiple albums loaded with killer material.

Anata is like the only tech death band I like! Well' date=' unless you consider Gorguts tech death.[/quote'] Gorguts is an odd example, I think, because they probably deserve the tech death label (it's for technique, not technology, dammit) more than a lot of bands that get called "tech" for playing diminished runs at 300 BPM. But they don't sound like the common perception of tech death, and neither do the bands who have followed in their footsteps to one degree or another, like Ulcerate, Abyssal and maybe Mitochondrion to a certain extent, Pyrrhon, Flourishing (who I haven't heard in a long time) - even the new Afterbirth demo material qualifies. Their experimentations have led me to describe them as "textural" death metal when I'm trying to introduce them to people, although the "atmospheric" DM label would mostly be appropriate as well; but then, ugh, it's subgenre label naming argument time.