Tystnad - Black Metal

Savopipo

Hi everyone! Just wanted to give you the chance to hear my Black Metal project "Tystnad". The debut EP "Nihils Sakrament" is available now to listen to or download for free from bandcamp (http://tystnad.bandcamp.com). I'm very curious to know what you think about it so please take your time to give me a quick feedback. I'm not very sensitive but of course I prefer objective criticism :)

On my first listen, I think the vocals are really good and the overall flow of the song structures is well put together. The melodies need more work. They sound awkward and haphazard, kind of like you weren't sure which notes to use. You may have better results if you try writing melody with your voice - sing what you hear over your bass line or chord progression, and then figure out how to play that. The other problem that stood out was the drum sounds - the kick drum has a resonance that turns into an annoying tone when it's doing a roll, which you could fix with EQ, and especially in the blastbeats you need more variation, they sound way too mechanical. It would also help if they were mixed in better. Or you could do what Ulver did, and just EQ and distort them to shit to make them sound more "necro".

Good feedback! Thanks a lot for taking the time. I will take what you say to my heart and try them as the project progressess but one thing that I'm sure to try out is putting some distortion on the kickdrum (or the entire drum set) and see how that affects the sound because the sound of programmed drums is always a problem. Also getting a real drummer to do the drums might be an option .. who knows.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I think the drums sound more 'meaty' and less 'clinical' on 'Hatad' if you know what I mean...( I'm not a musician so excuse my ignorance!)  I think that only enhances the atmosphere.. It feels more raw to me.. This is my favourite so far. It was 'Narvaro' ..You've set me a task now by printing lyrics, I'll have to go translate them. lol. I really enjoy this project though so all the best with it. Thanks for sharing.

16 minutes ago, natassja7 said:

I think the drums sound more 'meaty' and less 'clinical' on 'Hatad' if you know what I mean...( I'm not a musician so excuse my ignorance!)  I think that only enhances the atmosphere.. It feels more raw to me.. This is my favourite so far. It was 'Narvaro' ..You've set me a task now by printing lyrics, I'll have to go translate them. lol. I really enjoy this project though so all the best with it. Thanks for sharing.

It doesn't translate well I'm afraid but here's a start:

Still as the night
Just before dawn
Not a movement
Not a crack not a sound

Deprived of all warmth
Cold as an autumn wind
Stuck rock solid
In a primeval grip

Quiet forever
Cold in the Earth
On your coffin lid
shovels three

Life at an end
Hapiness boredom
Zero to take
All to give

All we run
We run out of time
Leaving behind us
Everything here

All we run
We run out of time
Admired and mocked
Hated and loved

2 hours ago, natassja7 said:

Ah yeh I see..btw what does Narvaro mean?

Närvaro = presence

But in Swedish it also means "to feel the presence" of someone .. like a "ghost" .. it's a little hard to explain. It's like saying:

My dad died last autumn but he is present here tonight .. that's "närvaro". You feel it but can't see it.

If I were to translate it to english this is how the last part of "Hatad och Kär" would be:

Everyone run
We run out of time
We're leaving behind
All that is here

Everyone run
We run out of time
Noble and simple
Fake and sincere

That also "nails" the rhymes.

1 hour ago, natassja7 said:

Ah..that is interesting..I think the Swedish n English have a few similarities sometimes, not 'narvaro' though I guess ..'Farval' is farewell? I hope not. 'Tystnad' is silence :) 

Thankyou for the lyrics. I like them.

Farväl is indeed farewell. I think I've read somewhere that there are some English words that originate from nordic languages. For instance "window" that is said to originate from the old Danish word "Vindoe" that means "wind-eye". Other words are borrowed from a third language to both English and Swedish I guess, hence the similarity. I'm quite fond of my lyrics and take great pleasure writing them so thanks for showing interest in them :)

• 4 months later...

Release date for the new album "Farväl" is set to 2017-09-15. Follow the below link to view the cover art as created by Tim BaW and Savopipo.

More art by Tim BaW can be found on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/BaW.Artworks/

https://www.facebook.com/770225183114368/photos/a.1159252974211585.1073741828.770225183114368/1159252660878283/?type=3&theater