Running Wild

Kassill

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I love Running wild, they are one of my favourite bands! 

They haven't a bad album in my opinion, and I love the lasts Shadowmaker, Resilient and Rapid foray. 

Hi Annie- I have seen Rapid Foray getting either very good OR very bad reviews. Not much in between. For me it's definitely a 'step up' from Resilient & Shadowmaker but still a long way removed from their best. I'm not sure what you think of the 'sound' eg Drum machine + overly processed guitars? A bit amateurish for my ears, particularly given the great heights the band scaled in their first 2 decades. Now they are just a Rolf solo band really....

14 hours ago, True Belief said:

Hi Annie- I have seen Rapid Foray getting either very good OR very bad reviews. Not much in between. For me it's definitely a 'step up' from Resilient & Shadowmaker but still a long way removed from their best. I'm not sure what you think of the 'sound' eg Drum machine + overly processed guitars? A bit amateurish for my ears, particularly given the great heights the band scaled in their first 2 decades. Now they are just a Rolf solo band really....

Hi!

I think it's a very good album too. It contains songs that reminds me above everything to the 90's (Warmongers, Black Bart, Into the west for example), and Last of the Mohicans is their best long song since The Ghost. But well, it's a matter of tastes. 
Of course I prefer a "real sound" in drums, but I'm not annoying with that. They could sound better with a 80's or 90's production, that is a fact, but they (or better said, Rolf) always have conserved the unique sound of Running wild. 

Well, really I agree with you, since The brotherhood for me it's practically a solo band too, it's true.

• 1 month later...

They sort of died after "The Rivalry", which was the last album to feature a proper band...

I absolutely love their earlier stuff. "Death or Glory" and "Port Royal" above all.

I felt sorry for them when fellow hamburgers Helloween beat them at their own game and suddenly made them irrelevant in the scene.

Sure, the first three Helloween albums were superior from many standpoints (variety, technical proficiency, vision), but for me at the time Rolf could do no wrong.

Hell, they even opened Motley Crue's date in Germany!

They sort of died after "The Rivalry", which was the last album to feature a proper band...

I absolutely love their earlier stuff. "Death or Glory" and "Port Royal" above all.

I felt sorry for them when fellow hamburgers Helloween beat them at their own game and suddenly made them irrelevant in the scene.

Sure, the first three Helloween albums were superior from many standpoints (variety, technical proficiency, vision), but for me at the time Rolf could do no wrong.

Hell, they even opened Motley Crue's date in Germany!

For me, Running Wild is the pinnacle of power metal, especially on Port Royal and Death or Glory. Helloween were great, but they were also that band that led to the decline of the whole genre when everyone and their dog followed them into softer AOR/hard rock influenced territory. Power metal largely lost its power by the mid-90's, but Running Wild knocked it out of the park more than Helloween ever did IMO.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Why is it always Helloween or Running Wild? Why can't it ever be Blind Guardian or Running Wild? IMO BG hit more home runs then Helloween as well. Follow The Blind, Imaginations From The Other Side, Nightfall In Middle Earth, and Somewhere Far Beyond all get a big tick in my books. Running Wild still come out on top though.

8 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Why is it always Helloween or Running Wild? Why can't it ever be Blind Guardian or Running Wild? IMO BG hit more home runs then Helloween as well. Follow The Blind, Imaginations From The Other Side, Nightfall In Middle Earth, and Somewhere Far Beyond all get a big tick in my books. Running Wild still come out on top though.

I haven't really heard any Blind Guardian I don't think. You make me want to check them out.

14 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

I am a fan of all three! I really love BG's first 5 records. I did not mention them because they came out later and were not from Hamburg! Of course, later on they had Kai Hansen's blessing when he guested on the lp "Follow The Blind".

Running Wild used to be the main metal band in Hamburg. They were Noise Record's favorite act up until Helloween put out their ep and raised the bar for all things speed metal. Before Helloween, you had acts like Running Wild and Grave Digger leading the pack of post-Accept power metal, yet both were quite raw. 

For my personal taste, I'm more attached to RW's albums, but from a musical standpoint I cannot deny that Helloween were more accomplished. 

The most famous is "Mirror Mirror".

For me, the most representative is "Imaginations from the Other Side": it's mid 90's power metal produced by Fleming Rasmussen, the dude behind the console in Metallica's Ride The Lighting and Master Of Puppets... so the sound is great! And the song is great too.

Personally I adore the first two BG records, which are thrashier and much less bombastic. 

I'd start with the song "Banished From Sanctuary"!

Sorry I gave you three songs, but at least you can choose ahah

All fine examples of BG. Someone else doing my job for me. You could also just listen to any of their first five albums...same goes for you Gorbo Hansi Kursch has an incredible voice and it's on full display from Imaginations onwards.

See now I knew there was a reason I just couldn't think of it haha. Personally I prefer Running Wild as well so many catchy choruses.

18 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

All fine examples of BG. Someone else doing my job for me. You could also just listen to any of their first five albums...same goes for you Gorbo Hansi Kursch has an incredible voice and it's on full display from Imaginations onwards.

See now I knew there was a reason I just couldn't think of it haha. Personally I prefer Running Wild as well so many catchy choruses.

Ooops I'm sorry I didn't get that RO was short for your nickname! :D

There was a time when BG were often compared to Iced Earth... They both had some thrashy influences in their brand of power metal. They were sort of the power thrash metal champs of America and Europe respectively... ...I've never been a big fan of Iced Earth, though... I think they are way overrated... apart from "STORMRIDER", which I really like!

I even bought the first Demons & Wizards album, which features both Hansi from BG and Jon from IE, but I was let down by it... 

...now, back to Mr. Rolf what is your favorite song by Running Wild, fellas? Mine is "CONQUISTADORES", followed closely by "RIDIN' THE STORM"!

6 minutes ago, Skull_Kollektor said:

I even bought the first Demons & Wizards album, which features both Hansi from BG and Jon from IE, but I was let down by it...

Before you get back to Running Wild, I'll just interject that I actually prefer Demons And Wizards (especially the self-titled) to anything BG or Iced Earth did - BG has some great parts, but the music has always seemed a bit one-dimensional to me, and I haven't liked any of Iced Earth's vocalists (I'm not huge on power metal, so that's not to say they suck, I just can't get into it).

4 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Before you get back to Running Wild, I'll just interject that I actually prefer Demons And Wizards (especially the self-titled) to anything BG or Iced Earth did - BG has some great parts, but the music has always seemed a bit one-dimensional to me, and I haven't liked any of Iced Earth's vocalists (I'm not huge on power metal, so that's not to say they suck, I just can't get into it).

Really? Awesome, maybe I misjudged the record the first time around! I'll soon give it another spin, then! Thanks for the tip.

Iced Earth are mostly unlistenable due to the awful vocals. I can do Stormrider, Burnt Offerings (Dante's Inferno is one of the best epics in metal period and I will fight anyone who says otherwise) but beyond that only bits and pieces. I agree with FA re Demons & Wizards though.

It's too hard to pick favourite songs but at a push Branded & Exiled, Chains & Leather, and Prisoners Of Our Time.

21 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Iced Earth are mostly unlistenable due to the awful vocals. I can do Stormrider, Burnt Offerings (Dante's Inferno is one of the best epics in metal period and I will fight anyone who says otherwise) but beyond that only bits and pieces. I agree with FA re Demons & Wizards though.

It's too hard to pick favourite songs but at a push Branded & Exiled, Chains & Leather, and Prisoners Of Our Time.

Today, on the way to work, I listened to "Dante's Inferno" again... I am deeply sorry, but I didn't like it the first time around and I still don't like it now.

Luckily I found a used copy of the "Slave To The Dark" boxset for something like 40 euros a few years ago, so it's not like it cost me much to get the first 10 albums by a band I don't even like!

Iced Earth bores the hell out of me... Triplets, more triplets, and more triplets. Solid rhythm guitar, that's it. I hope to change my mind some day, there has to be something that I am missing about them (something wicked, probably... pun intended).

May I recommend one HELL of a concept album concerning Dante's Inferno? It's called... "INFERNO", it's a progressive rock masterpiece by Italian progressive rock act METAMORFOSI. It's sung in Italian, so I reckon it might not appeal to most, but the music is exceptional IMHO.

They twisted the storyline a tidy bit... This record came out in the early 70's, so they also threw drug dealers in the pits of hell... :D

• 2 years later...