Mdf 2015

BlutAusNerd

Ok. A) nothing wrong with hairy dudes in beaters. B) do yourself a favor and listen to Colored Sands' date=' compositionally speaking it's the most adventurous thing Lemay has done and I fucking love it. C) I can't begin to tell you how jealous I am of your My Dying Bride experience. I would absolutely love to see Crown Of Sympathy or Turn Loose The Swans performed live, as well as Cry Of Mankind... holy shit. Cheers. Thanks for sharing![/quote'] I saw 27 bands last weekend, and for them to be among the top tier of all of the excellent music on display should say a great deal. Their moody parts translated well to the more black/death/thrash oriented crowd, and when they got heavy, they fucking destroyed. I can't even begin to describe how those old songs sounded, but it was everything that doom/death should be, and I'm going to have to make a conscious effort to step up my game. Fuck. I am a hairy metal dude, and while my truck isn't necessarily a beater, it is a 10 year old F150 with 175000 miles on it, but hey, its a work truck, I does its job. I will be checking out Colored Sands, I don't know if it will dethrone The Erosion of Sanity or Obscura for me, but it sounds like a fine addition to their catalog. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to have to make a conscious effort to step up my game. Fuck. [...] I am a hairy metal dude, and while my truck isn't necessarily a beater, it is a 10 year old F150 with 175000 miles on it, but hey, its a work truck, I does its job.
That's good that you're taking inspiration, I got a similar motivation to do more drawing when my brother sent me a couple drawings he did of eyes that were just fantastic. Often I just get bummed out by good art, I look at it thinking 'well, there's no sodding way I'm getting that good in a hurry...', so I'm glad that wasn't the case this time 'round. Given your position in your company I had something like this in mind: gmc-topkick-05.jpg?i But I can't talk, our Crown Victoria is almost 20 years old and the bare-bones Nissan Frontier my dad drives is probably older than that.

I've never heard anything special about Considered Dead or Erosion Of Sanity, for some reason those albums do nothing for me. Obscura is hard to top, but Colored Sands is up there. An apples and oranges comparison, it's a totally different recording lineup, different time, Lemay went to school for composition between then and now... @Iceni, the best art and music for me is whatever is the most relevant at the time. It isn't the stuff that leaves me thinking "I'll never be able to do that", but the.stuff that, through clarity of intent and good execution, makes me feel like it's within my reach.

Sunday Ram's Head: [ATTACH]1125[/ATTACH] When I arrived at the Ram's Head, Hooded Menace had just finished up, but there was no question that that I made the right decision in catching My Dying Bride, no matter how good my friends said Hooded Menace sounded. It took a few minutes, but then Ulcerate took the stage. They sounded great, but we were all transfixed on their drummer. Holy fuck, that guy is a beast, and exhibits the more perfect and effortless drum technique I have ever seen. We couldn't look away, we just kept shitting our pants watching him. Great band for sure, but I see them again, I'll have to make a conscious effort to pay more attention to the rest of the group. [ATTACH]1126[/ATTACH] Now, I had seen Immolation before, so I knew they would destroy and be the perfect closer for the fest. However, they exceeded my expectations and were even better than the last time that I saw them. Their set was mostly newer stuff, but it doesn't matter, the band is stupidly consistent and fucking punishing live. Bob Vigna is a beast on guitar, just try to mimick that technique, I dare you. How the fuck does he play like that? It astounds me every time I see it. A top tier band in top form, a brutal ending to a weekend packed to the brim with metal, and I fucking loved it. As a conclusion here is a picture of our group: [ATTACH]1127[/ATTACH] From left to right: Brian, Kevin, BlutAusNerd, Colin, Rob, Chris, Scott, and Bob. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

This has been a great write-up. Thanks! I'm glad you had a good experience seeing Ulcerate. Their drummer is completely outstanding. I wish that the rest of the sound hadn't been overshadowed by his volume at the set I saw. I've only seen Immolation once, several years ago, and they were awesome. Glad to hear they're still laying it down.

• 1 month later...

These guys don't waste any time, the first series of confirmed bands for next year's MDF are here. Holy shit, this is already looking amazing: Aeternus (Norway) * Arcturus (Norway) * Aura Noir (Norway) * Bulldozer (Italy) * Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult (Germany) Demoncy Dragged into Sunlight (UK) D.R.I. Einherjer (Norway) * Funebrarum Goatsnake Impetuous Ritual (Australia) * Lock Up * Lycanthrophy (Czech Republic) Master Melt-Banana (Japan) Metal Church Noisear Neurosis Portal (Australia) * Serpentine Path Skepticism (Finland) * Splatterhouse Suffering Mind (Poland) Triptykon (Switzerland) * Tsjuder (Norway) * Twilight of the Gods * Ufomammut (Italy) Vallenfyre (UK) * Vulcano (Brazil) * Winter Wolfbrigade (Sweden) * Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

How fast do the tickets sell out?
The tickets for the Edison Lot probably won't sell out, but Ram's Head sells out quickly. If you're not familiar with the setup, there are currently 3 venues that comprise Maryland Deathfest. The main venue, The Edison Lot, is where the most bands play, and it runs from Friday through Sunday in a large fenced off parking lot with 2 stages on either side rotating bands. That's also where the merch and food vendors are set up. Just down the street is The Baltimore Soundstage, which is an indoor venue that focuses more on the crust/sludge/hardcore/grindcore/powerviolence side of the fest's lineup, and runs all day simultaneously to The Edison Lot. The Ram's Head is another club just a short walk away from the others, and usually has bands starting close to the time that The Edison Lot's acts are finishing (though there is some overlap), and usually goes until 2 AM. The Ram's Head is a large club, but still has a much smaller capacity than The Edison Lot, so it sold out pretty quickly this year. You could still have a full day of music with tickets for just The Edison Lot, which would feature most of the bigger name acts and won't sell out, but the lineup for the Ram's Head was pretty sick this year. The venues for each band aren't announced until much later, but will be made known around the time that tickets go on sale. The tickets for The Edison Lot this year were $160, but when you factor in how many bands are playing over the course of 3 days, the rate is very reasonable. The Ram's Head tickets this year were about $70 for all 4 days (they have a Thursday night lineup as well), and featured about 4 bands per night on a single stage, so again, pretty reasonable. Anyway, that was along-winded response, but hopefully it answers any questions you may have. This year was my first year in attendance, and it was incredible, definitely worth it for the experience and all of the great bands that play. If you want to start budgeting, in addition to the ticket prices and lodging/travel costs, it's a good idea to have at least $500 to bring for food, drinks, and merch. I brought about $700, but had about $120 left in my pocket when I came home. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

The tickets for the Edison Lot probably won't sell out, but Ram's Head sells out quickly. If you're not familiar with the setup, there are currently 3 venues that comprise Maryland Deathfest. The main venue, The Edison Lot, is where the most bands play, and it runs from Friday through Sunday in a large fenced off parking lot with 2 stages on either side rotating bands. That's also where the merch and food vendors are set up. Just down the street is The Baltimore Soundstage, which is an indoor venue that focuses more on the crust/sludge/hardcore/grindcore/powerviolence side of the fest's lineup, and runs all day simultaneously to The Edison Lot. The Ram's Head is another club just a short walk away from the others, and usually has bands starting close to the time that The Edison Lot's acts are finishing (though there is some overlap), and usually goes until 2 AM. The Ram's Head is a large club, but still has a much smaller capacity than The Edison Lot, so it sold out pretty quickly this year. You could still have a full day of music with tickets for just The Edison Lot, which would feature most of the bigger name acts and won't sell out, but the lineup for the Ram's Head was pretty sick this year. The venues for each band aren't announced until much later, but will be made known around the time that tickets go on sale. The tickets for The Edison Lot this year were $160, but when you factor in how many bands are playing over the course of 3 days, the rate is very reasonable. The Ram's Head tickets this year were about $70 for all 4 days (they have a Thursday night lineup as well), and featured about 4 bands per night on a single stage, so again, pretty reasonable. Anyway, that was along-winded response, but hopefully it answers any questions you may have. This year was my first year in attendance, and it was incredible, definitely worth it for the experience and all of the great bands that play. If you want to start budgeting, in addition to the ticket prices and lodging/travel costs, it's a good idea to have at least $500 to bring for food, drinks, and merch. I brought about $700, but had about $120 left in my pocket when I came home. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
sounds......expensive......I would almost save my money to go elsewhere out of country,,,,like Wacken or something. I also would probably go with the Edison stage, if that is the stage where the black/death metal bands play? Plus I would have to pay for a hotel room, plus I eat a lot..........................................................................once again....would need to go work my corner. hahaha:D

sounds......expensive......I would almost save my money to go elsewhere out of country' date=',,,like Wacken or something. I also would probably go with the Edison stage, if that is the stage where the black/death metal bands play? Plus I would have to pay for a hotel room, plus I eat a lot..........................................................................once again....would need to go work my corner. hahaha:D[/quote'] It definitely helps if you can split a room and/or travel expenses with someone, as that is the biggest chunk. The ticket price isn't bad all things considered, and it's not too tough to eat cheap, but I would have hated to not be able to buy any music or t-shirts while I was there. The Edison Lot tends to have bigger names, but still plenty of black/death metal playing. This year I saw Mgła, The Ruins of Beverast, Taake, Diocletian, Nocturnus, Entrails, God Macabre, Inquisition, Agalloch, Unleashed, Pseudogod, Necros Cristos, Gorguts, and My Dying Bride at The Edison Lot, in addition to some other thrash and doom metal bands. The Ram's Head was pretty much exclusively black/death though, with Pungent Stench, Ulcerate, Immolation, Asphyx, Bölzer, Coffins, Hooded Menace, Enthroned, Incantation, etc... Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

hhmmm.....I have not heard a lot of those bands....I am not a huuggeee fan of black metal' date=' but it is far better than hardcore and crust punk for me. Perhaps I would consider the ram's head. What do you think?[/quote'] Both Ram's Head and Edison Lot offered killer lineups, and will likely be the same this year. The more mainstream stuff like Arcturus, Metal Church, Neurosis, etc... will likely be at The Edison Lot, along with the more old school black/death metal bands like Vulcano and Winter, whereas Ram's Head would probably be exclusively more death/black metal, and will likely have bands like Aeternus, Triptykon, Portal, Serpentine Path, etc... Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Both Ram's Head and Edison Lot offered killer lineups' date=' and will likely be the same this year. The more mainstream stuff like Arcturus, Metal Church, Neurosis, etc... will likely be at The Edison Lot, along with the more old school black/death metal bands like Vulcano and Winter, whereas Ram's Head would probably be exclusively more death/black metal, and will likely have bands like Aeternus, Triptykon, Portal, Serpentine Path, etc...Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2[/quote']Sounds like I might be more into the rams head,,,although I love food...and being outside. heh

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the second round of confirmed bands for MDF XIII! Sodom (Germany) - Exclusive US appearance! Demilich (Finland) - Exclusive US appearance! Napalm Death (UK) - Headlining one of the nights at Soundstage. Anaal Nathrakh (UK) - Exclusive US appearance! Primordial (Ireland) - Most likely an exclusive US appearance. If not, MDF will be one of only a few US shows. Martyrdöd (Sweden) P.L.F. Noxa (Indonesia) Water Torture Early Graves Fulgora Mother Brain Pizzahifive Sodom has confirmed before, but ended up cancelling. They would be cool to see, but Demilich and Primordial are what really caught my attention here. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

• 10 months later...

2015 turned out to be every bit as good as I had hoped, despite having a slightly weaker lineup than the prior year with Inverloch's cancellation. Good times with good friends, and a ton of great bands to see. The beer selection had expanded, but not in a good way, the prices were increased by a great deal, and they only ended up having one standout beer, which was twice the price of my favorite from last year. Food was largely the same, though the inclusion of an Indian food truck this year was nice. Largely the same merchant vendors too, but vastly less official band merch from the bands that were playing. Anyway, enough about that, on to the festivities.