Mdf 2015

BlutAusNerd

Well, I've been watching the lineup a bit more closely this year (as I think I may actually have a shot at going) than in previous years, and it's progressively becoming quite the sick lineup: ASPHYX (Netherlands) AT THE GATES (Sweden) BONGRIPPER CANCER (UK) CANDLEMASS (Sweden) CROWBAR DEATH TOLL 80K (Finland) DIOCLETIAN (New Zealand) EXCRUCIATING TERROR EXTINCTION OF MANKIND (UK) GOD MACABRE (Sweden) GORGUTS (Canada) GRAVES AT SEA HEMDALE MACHETAZO (Spain) MGLA (Poland) NOCTURNUS A.D. SACRIFICE (Canada) SARKE (Norway) SOILENT GREEN SOLSTAFIR (Iceland) TAAKE (Norway) TANKARD (Germany) ULVER (Norway) UNCLE ACID & THE DEADBEATS (UK) UNHOLY GRAVE (Japan) UNLEASHED (Sweden) WITCHRIST (New Zealand) 6 more bands were just announced today, so add these to the list as well, and I think I may need a fresh pair of shorts: MY DYING BRIDE (UK) - Exclusive US appearance and first US show since 1997 THE CHURCH OF PUNGENT STENCH (Austria) - Exclusive US appearance. Playing an old school setlist of material from their first EP and first 3 albums. HOODED MENACE (Finland) ULCERATE (New Zealand) BÖLZER (Switzerland) - Exclusive US appearance WINDHAND

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Re: Maryland Deathfest 2014 With new additions, here is the current lineup, how you could not be creaming in your jeans is beyond me. AETERNUS (Norway) ARCAGATHUS (Canada) ASPHYX (Netherlands) AT THE GATES (Sweden) BIRDFLESH (Sweden) BÖLZER (Switzerland) BONGRIPPER CANCER (UK) CANDLEMASS (Sweden) CASTEVET COFFINS (Japan) CREATIVE WASTE (Saudi Arabia) THE CHURCH OF PUNGENT STENCH (Austria) CROWBAR DEATH TOLL 80K (Finland) DIOCLETIAN (New Zealand) DROPDEAD ENTHRONED (Belgium) ENTRAILS (Sweden) EXCRUCIATING TERROR EXTINCTION OF MANKIND (UK) FINAL CONFLICT GOD MACABRE (Sweden) GORGUTS (Canada) GRAVES AT SEA HEMDALE HOODED MENACE (Finland) IMMOLATION INCANTATION IN DISGUST MACHETAZO (Spain) MESRINE (Canada) MGLA (Poland) MITOCHONDRION (Canada) MUTILATION RITES MY DYING BRIDE (UK) NECROS CHRISTOS (Germany) NOCTURNUS A.D. NOOTHGRUSH ORATOR (Bangladesh) RATOS DE PORAO (Brazil) ROTTING OUT SACRIFICE (Canada) SARKE (Norway) SICK/TIRED SOILENT GREEN SOLSTAFIR (Iceland) STAPLED SHUT TAAKE (Norway) TANKARD (Germany) THEORIES TORCHE ULCERATE (New Zealand) ULVER (Norway) UNCLE ACID & THE DEADBEATS (UK) UNHOLY GRAVE (Japan) UNLEASHED (Sweden) WAR MASTER WHITEHORSE (Australia) WINDHAND WITCHRIST (New Zealand) WRATHPRAYER (Chile) Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

• 6 months later...

[ATTACH]1093[/ATTACH] Coffins was fucking rad. I wasn't as thrilled by albums like Buried Death and The Fleshland as Mortuary in Darkness, but the songs sounded great live. I didn't think the vocalist was that great, but the guitars and drums sounded excellent, nice and heavy, chunky goodness. Met Uchino at the merch table, seemed like a cool guy, but he didn't speak much English. [ATTACH]1094[/ATTACH] Crowbar was also awesome, and very heavy. Lots of great grooves, and the vocals sounded wonderful. Their set list was all over the place, and their hardcore passages got the crowd moving. Some dude jumped up on stage and got his ass kicked by security, but not before bumping into Kirk mid song. Kirk went on this huge rant about how he doesn't come to your office and fuck up your computer, so don't come to his office and fuck up his set. Kinda silly, but they kept it tight and didn't miss a beat after that. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Friday Edison Lot: [ATTACH]1101[/ATTACH] Showed up Friday, but ended up in line during Castevet's set. Made it through in time to grab a beer and catch Mgła though. These guys sounded great, with an especially enthusiastic drummer and some of the most engrossing repetitious playing and songwriting I have heard. This type of black metal has worn on me a bit lately, but these guys really pulled it off, despite a few minor fuck ups from the second guitar, probably because he wasn't used to playing through a black hood. The Ruins of Beverast absolutely fucking destroyed. These guys are easily one of my favorite black metal bands to come after the initial 80's and 90's explosions, and I wasn't sure hoe they would fare live, because they're just a one man project that put together a live lineup. Well, they put on the heaviest set I have ever heard from any band EVER, their sound was just massive and totally crushing. The keyboards were tasteful, the bass playing excellent, the vocals powerful, and their songwriting is just completely top notch, original and magnificent all the way through. Check them out, or don't and remain a bitch forever. [ATTACH]1103[/ATTACH] Next up was Necros Christos, an up and coming death metal band from Germany. I hadn't heard much from these guys prior to seeing them, but I now realize that I need to change that. Extremely tight and well played material, and though not reinventing the wheel, their use of mostly mid-paced tempos, unique melodies, and lots of great subtlety and classy changes, these guys definitely won me over. Met the vocalist/guitar player on Saturday, he was a very humble and gracious guy. [ATTACH]1104[/ATTACH] Next up is Taake, pretty much the best Norwegian black metal band ever. They did nothing at all to change my opinion of them, they sounded tight as fuck, played a killer set from all over their catalog, and despite Hoest's cheesy outfit and antics, were completely endearing and cool. Their first ever US performance, and hopefully not their last, because they trample all over almost any other black metal band that's active today. [ATTACH]1105[/ATTACH] After Taake, I grabbed some merch, food, and of course, more beer while Solstafir was playing. Unfortunately, I missed most of Agalloch's set too, but came back for their last song. It was a new one, and honestly I wasn't impressed, though my friends that saw all of their set said that their other songs sounded good. I don't know what it was, it just seems like they're trying to force more black metal into their sound, and it feels a bit contrived. Not bad at all, just a bit disappointing. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Looks awesome. I wish I could have gone for at least one day... ah well. Thanks for posting those. I can't help laughing at the black hoods and masks. Thantifaxath did the same kind of thing' date=' and it seemed awkward, but eh... whatever curls your toes, I suppose.[/quote'] I'll post more pics and reviews when I get time, I've been trying to get caught up at work all weeks. Lots of long days, long nights too with my wife sick at home. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Friday night Ram's Head: [ATTACH]1107[/ATTACH] On Friday night, most of our group elected to skip At the Gates in favor of seeing Bölzer. I'm 100% confident that this was the right decision, despite one of the guys that stayed telling me that they busted out a couple of classics like Kingdom Gone, but Bölzer was one of the best bands of the whole fest, easily in my top 3. They're just a 2 piece, drums and a guitar player doing vocals, but they sounded massive. His guitar was fairly strange looking, in the scooped out of the bottom of the guitar, there appeared to be another set of tuning keys, which Ksmash and I are puzzled about. Either way, they dominated, with their unique and atmospheric take on death metal winning everyone over. Supposedly the mosh pit to grab their merch was more intense than almost any pit while a band was playing, and they were fresh out by the time I got down there. Seriously, check out this band, they're amazing. [ATTACH]1108[/ATTACH] Enthroned played next, and I would honestly say that they were the worst band I saw all weekend. 7th rate Dark Funeral style blastbeat black metal without an ounce of substance or power. Their drummer took forever to set up, and was a really weak hitter, riding his triggers and microphones the whole way, and the band as a whole just produced monotonous songs without passion that were indistinguishable from one another. I've had one of their CDs that I've listened to twice since I bought it years ago, hoping that something would click, but I'll be getting rid of it without regret now. [ATTACH]1109[/ATTACH] Incantation closed out the night, and what a job they did. They played tracks from all over their catalog, including a new one from their forthcoming album, and everything sounded pretty vicious, with John's vocals sounding the lowest and most vicious I've ever heard from him. It reminded me that I have some gaps in their catalog to fill, which I'll need to get right on. I met John and Kyle later in the fest, and both of them were cool guys, super appreciative to have such a high spot in the lineup. It looked like Friday was the day to beat, and it may still have been the best date of the fest, but despite our expectations of it not getting any better than that, the hits kept on coming throughout the next 2 days. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Saturday Edison Lot: [ATTACH]1110[/ATTACH] Diocletian was the first band we caught on Saturday, but we only saw the last half of their set. They sounded like pretty well done, ass kicking war death/black metal that didn't do much to distinguish themselves from the pack, but were competent enough. Nice way to start the day, but one of the less memorable bands of the fest. [ATTACH]1111[/ATTACH] Entrails was much the same for me, really competent and well done Swedish death metal, but nothing that truly blew my hair back. I could see buying some of this band's material, as I've certainly heard less convincing and entertaining Entombed worshipers, but at the end of the day, that's all it was. Nice guitar tone though. [ATTACH]1112[/ATTACH] God Macabre, however, fucking laid it down, and showed everyone what Entrails, and Swedish death metal in general, should sound like. Heavy, bludgeoning songs, nice doomy passages rife with melancholic melodies, awesome vocals, and excellent songwriting. One of the most heralded bands from the scene for a damn good reason, their appearance coincides with Relapse's reissue of The Winterlong, so I can finally buy the full length for less than the life of my first born child (even the previous reissue would go for tons of money on eBay). If you dig the sound, DO NOT pass on God Macabre. [ATTACH]1113[/ATTACH] Nocturnus was a band that I was really excited for, but also the band that I felt the worst for out of the entire fest. This was the only band I saw all weekend to have the misfortune of having a deaf man at the mixing board, everything was so muddy that you couldn't hear shit. You could tell that these guys were playing their asses off, but none of it was coming through. They played The Key in its entirety, which should have been a highlight of the fest, but alas, it was not to be. They finished with a cover of Morbid Angel's Chapel of Ghouls, written when Mike Browning was still in the band, but they fucked it up halfway through and ended up starting over. One of the biggest disappointments of the weekend, and it really wasn't their fault. [ATTACH]1114[/ATTACH] Tankard played next, and were easily the most fun band of the weekend. They had tons of energy, were hilarious, and played their asses off while cracking jokes between bands. I really need to buy some of their albums, I've had this band on my radar for some time, and was immensely entertained by their set. The singer kept lifting up his shirt to expose his beer gut, and slapping the microphone on it to the beat. He invited some girls up on stage to dance with him, and casually mentioned that they were the only true death metal band of the weekend, lol. Fucking awesome, even if you don't like thrash, don't miss an opportunity to catch this band. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Saturday Edison Lot Continued: [ATTACH]1115[/ATTACH] Sacrifice followed Tankard for a vicious thrash 1-2 punch. These guys showcased the other, more ruthless and serious side of thrash, with fury and aplomb. Fast paced, brutal riffs, fantastic vocals, ripping riffs, awesome bass playing, and did I mention how many fucking riffs these guys just shoved down your throat. Damn, what a killer set, another band I have heard plenty from, but have yet to buy their albums. They fit right in with that more savage Canadian thrash sound, with the likes of Razor, early Voivod, Infernal Majesty, Armoros, of which band Jed Simon made a guest appearance (the dude in the Consuming Impulse shirt) to play their last song. You may know him better from Strapping Young Lad, but he was a thrasher in the 80's. Met Rob Urbanatti after the set, John McEntee brought a bass guitar for him and the rest of the Sacrifice dudes to autograph for him, really a cool metal moment. [ATTACH]1116[/ATTACH] Up next was Unleashed, who put on quite the well executed performance. I mostly dig this band's older stuff, but their new material also held up well. It could be that I was more in a thrash mood, but their brand of Swedish death metal just wasn't engaging me like usual, despite their high level of class and professionalism. Great band, but I was chomping at the bit for the headliner. [ATTACH]1117[/ATTACH] Dark Fucking Angel, THE band of Maryland Death Fest. Holy shit, seeing these guys live was everything I had hoped that it would be and more. They sounded tight as fuck, plowing through a perfectly arranged setlist featuring material from all of their albums, but highlighted by over half of Darkness Descends. So much energy, so precise, so massive and brutal sounding, easily one of the best live performances I have ever seen from any band EVER, and I have seen a few. Also the most violent crowd response I have ever experienced, people started moshing like crazy when Death Angel came on the PA before they started. I had numerous crowd surfers land on my, the pit was insane and was right behind me frequently knocking me into the people in front of me, but it didn't matter, this was the show of a lifetime. They opened with Darkness Descends, and the beatings just kept on coming, Never to Rise Again, In the Slaughterhouse, No One Answers, The Burning of Sodom, Time Does Not Heal, Merciless Death, and Perish in Flames to finish laying the place to waste. Damn, I just can't say enough about hoe incredible these guys were, that was the standard that all thrash bands should aspire to in a live setting. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Saturday Ram's Head: [ATTACH]1118[/ATTACH] Ram's head started with Warmaster and Bölzer pt. II, but I was having my face crushed in by the devastating brutality of Dark Fucking Angel. Having seen Bölzer the night before and not really knowing Warmaster made my decision that much easier, so for me, Ram's head started with Pungent Stench. There must have been some kind of legal dispute that Martin was pretty pissed about, because you could tell that he was annoyed that he couldn't use the name Pungent Stench. He must have channeled that frustration into their performance, because it was blazing. The way they played felt punky and loose, but was still technically tight, and his leads were ripping and awesome. Perfect Les Paul guitar tone, killer set that had my head banging like crazy, and their set seemed to fly by, which definitely left me craving more. Along with Tankard, the most fun and entertaining band of the fest. [ATTACH]1119[/ATTACH] Asphyx was the Saturday night closer, and they did a great job of it. They were probably my least favorite closer of the fest, other than Crowbar, but they still delivered the goods in a big way. I'm not as crazy about the newer songs, but they sounded pretty good with the old ones, and the old songs sounded amazing. Big meaty riffs, chunky pacing, and those trademark Martin Van Drunen vocals. They weren't a favorite of the fest, but they were still every bit as good as I had hoped that they would be. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Sunday Edison Lot: [ATTACH]1120[/ATTACH] We were late on Sunday, and I was bummed about missing Bongripper, but got a good start with Pseudogod. Really good sounding bestial black metal with some death metal elements, who had just the right contrast of blasted passages to mid-paced riffage. The vocals were a bit monotonous, but pretty savage, and highlighted the music just the way it should have. No surprises, but everything was well done. Ended up buying their album, and am really enjoying it. [ATTACH]1121[/ATTACH] Ended up skipping Wrathprayer to grab some merch, but we were back in plenty of time to catch the mighty Inquisition. This 2 piece black metal institution sounded every bit as huge and crushing as they do on their albums, really mind blowing. I couldn't so much but sink into their huge engulfing sound, suffocating riff onslaughts with beautiful melodic breaks, and those trademark croaked vocals were the order of the day. One of the Sunday highlights, and definitely one of the best bands of the whole fest, which is definitely saying something. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

I saw a Toyota RAV4 with an Inquisition decal at Georgetown about a month ago' date=' that was odd.[/quote'] That's awesome. I love driving by nice cars, and hearing some tasty black or death metal vibrating their windows, why should it just be fat nerds in their parent's basements and hairy dudes in beater cars? Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Sunday Edison Lot Continued: [ATTACH]1122[/ATTACH] Gorguts. Fucking Gorguts. This is another band that I have been dying to see for years, and they did not disappoint one bit. The first few songs were Colored Sands material, which I'm not familiar with, but it sounded great. Really dense, emotive, mature sounding material, it all kind of blurred together, but I don't think it was meant to be catchy and accessible, despite the memorability of their previous work being one of its better qualities. They pulled out different instruments, and then played a bunch of old stuff, which despite Colored Sand's strength, was easily the highlight of the set. Fucking Orphans of Sickness killed, Obscura and Nostalgia were magical, Inverted was brutal, damn, just professional and amazing the whole way through. Canada was riding high on Stage B. [ATTACH]1123[/ATTACH] We skipped Uncle Acid and The Deadbeats for some Pork Lord tacos, but heard them from where we sat. Meh, not my thing, some good riffs, but I hated the vocals. Candlemass followed, and swept the floor with those guys. I had low expectations because they blew me away with Rob Lowe on vocals in 2007, and with Mats Levan, as good as he is, I didn't think this performance could hold a candle (tee hee) to that one. I was right, but they were still damn good, with his different take on the classics being more than adequate, and they sounded super tight. At the Gallows End, Mirror Mirror, The Bells of Acheron, Emperor of the Void, Bewitched, A Cry From the Crypt, and the always awesome closer Solitude made for an excellent set. [ATTACH]1124[/ATTACH] I departed Candlemass and rushed to My Dying Bride's stage to get as close as I could, right as they opened with The Dreadful Hours. Love this song, one of the best from their newer canon, and it set the tone for what was to come. Then a newer song I didn't recognize followed, but I was taken by surprise at what came next: Crown of Sympathy. Holy fuck did that sound awesome, this song was my ringtone for NTNR when he would call me, and one of my favorite songs of their period. It was devastating, and they really nailed the bleak spoken mid-passage, as Aaron wretched and writhed along with the words. A few more new songs that I didn't know followed, definitely more on the gothic side of things, but also excellent, but then they busted out She is the Dark and really brought out the death metal side of that song. This song had everyone begging for more, which they obliged by laying down Turn Loose the Swans. Pure audio agony, this song was dripping with hate and misery, this was the single most intense moment of all of MDF for me. They kept it going with The Cry of Mankind and The Thrash of Naked Limbs. Fucking brilliant. Not only do I get to cross this off my list and log it as one of the most passionate and memorable live sets I have ever seen, but I was able to meet Aaron after the show. I felt kind of bad because he didn't look to be in good health, he only did a couple of photos and signed a couple of autographs and started to walk off. I ran after him and git his attention, and said I was sorry to bother him, but he did album art for my band and I just wanted to shake his hand and say thank you in person. He brightened right up, and asked how we liked the art and if we were up to anything new. Really nice guy, one of the coolest I have met, and I'm sure NTNR is shitting his pants that he wasn't there. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

I would love to blast metal from something like a Rolls-Royce Wraith, although considering my likely income level I should probably aim more for a Chrysler 300C Hemi.

why should it just be fat nerds in their parent's basements and hairy dudes in beater cars?
I don't know, but allow me to direct you to our liaison, ReturnToCarthage...

Ok. A) nothing wrong with hairy dudes in beaters. B) do yourself a favor and listen to Colored Sands, compositionally speaking it's the most adventurous thing Lemay has done and I fucking love it. C) I can't begin to tell you how jealous I am of your My Dying Bride experience. I would absolutely love to see Crown Of Sympathy or Turn Loose The Swans performed live, as well as Cry Of Mankind... holy shit. Cheers. Thanks for sharing!